Page 42 of 71 FirstFirst ... 3238394041424344454652 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 2112
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PaceyWinger View Post
    Just to be clear (and you may have alluded to it by mentioning spending) value isn't the same as the spending budget. Our value is low as a direct result of having to fill out a roster with NCAA guys instead of finding actually good players for every spot. From what I can gather in 2020 Palmieras' top player earned a little over $4M usd. They have a decent budget and can spend more throughout their roster but if the highest bid wins the player you have to think TFC have a legitimate advantage. Nothing in our recent history tells me we are shy about spending on the top end of the roster.
    Yes for sure. Very different spending environment. Was more trying to paint the picture that the two teams we're up against certainly have the finances to spend on Borre if they want to. Without easily available salary numbers it's tough to compare annual spend for a team. Historical transfers and market values at least give us a proxy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Yeah, but they can probably sign Hoilett for 2 million per year and please the part of the fanbase who cares more about passports and less about winning.
    As a member of the fan base who cares about passports there are limits lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I'm not sure Manning & co give a flying eff about the "we need to get all the Canadians" part of the fanbase - that is, essentially, some people involved in Waking the Red and maybe 3 others.
    We’ve been run by deep MLS America for the last 9 years, so yeah not sure this club has a super Canadian angle anymore aside from geographical convenience. Our players wore t-shirts promoting voting in the AMERICAN presidential election last year hahaha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    As a member of the fan base who cares about passports there are limits lol
    You are reasonable though. I have seen people on Twitter who have petitions to make TFC, Montreal and Vancouver CPL teams so that they are forced to play Canadian players. Haha.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Borre news, not looking good, Palmeiras offering 15 mil USD:

https://twitter.com/juang_arango/sta...994376713?s=21

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This Borré story carries on. According to Merlo (a very well respected journalist) Borré has turned down Palmeiras.

https://twitter.com/CLMerlo/status/1...063391744?s=20

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamp Berg View Post
    Borre news, not looking good, Palmeiras offering 15 mil USD:

https://twitter.com/juang_arango/sta...994376713?s=21
    It actually does not state USD as the currency, It mentions euros when referring to his buyout with madrid. As this is an article on an argie site, no reference to currency could mean in local currency for either brazil or Argentina. Would think USD would be mentioned if it was. I have seen other articles that relayed amounts in both local and USD.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This Borré story carries on. According to Merlo (a very well respected journalist) Borré has turned down Palmeiras.

https://twitter.com/CLMerlo/status/1...063391744?s=20
    Seems like this guy had confirmed our interest a few days ago on tv as well
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CLpw5vaDu3Z/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems Palmeiras wanted Borré to come immediately and Borré did not want to leave River Plate high and dry with no replacement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this is todays training camp coverage hope you enjoy it.

Toronto FC

@TorontoFC

Locked in. #TFCLive

Liam Fraser

8:20 PM · Feb 25, 2021·Twitter for iPhone

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://twitter.com/DiarioOle/status/1365098701488852992?s=20

Google translate isn't always reliable, but this seems like we still have a chance?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    The other problem is can these players hit their peak in MLS? Is Davies the same player if he doesn’t go to Bayern. The rapid scale of his development when he moved is crazy. Would he have done the same if he stayed another year in Vancouver?

These guys want to be the best they can and to do that they have to play at the highest level. MLS will likely never be that. There may be a few Landon Donovan’s that come through and want to stay, but if they’re really good they’re gonna want to leave.
    Donovan actually went to Europe before MLS and came back. He was a youth player and first-teamer at Leverkusen for five years but couldn't regularly crack the starting lineup and spent most of loaned to San Jose. He only came back because he wasn't getting playing time; and when he had another shot at Bayern (he actually played well enough, I thought, to stick, as he did at Everton on loan) he was gone like a shot.

The myth of Landon Donovan being an MLSer by choice is just that. They gave him a million a season at LA, the first in the league to get that number, so taking that over a lower league in Europe probably wasn't a hard choice.
    Last edited by jloome; 02-25-2021 at 09:20 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    I'm not persuaded Jahkeele is anywhere near ready for that level of team. I really like Ralph Prisio, he looked like he had been playing MLS for several seasons last year, but I was surprised to see his self evaluation. Of course confidence is a good thing....
    DeRO thought he could have made it at Real Madrid. I kid you not. I've never interviewed a professional athlete who didn't think he could be among the best with the right breaks.

(And I genuinely think DeRo was undervalued in his career; he could've played at the top level in Europe, if not for the top team).

I'd already heard Rutty was being scouted by Bayern eighteen months ago and I've only seen him play a couple of times. I didn't see it either, but from everything I'm reading, he's a technical marvel.

Priso reminded me of Geoff Cameron, if not in style certainly in the total ease with which he was one of the best players whenever he was on the pitch. I saw Cameron play twice at Houson and said, "well, that dude's going to the premiership right quick," and they hadn't even decided what position he was at that point. How drafters didn't see it when he came out of NCAA is beyond me. It was just screamingly obvious how he could take over a game.

I think Priso could be the same way. He has that gear, that step-up gear. Twice last season he was surrounded by swarming players and he was so calm about juking three, four dudes and laying off the perfect pass, I thought "man, this dude either flames out entirely due to overconfidence, because his thinking is that quick and smooth, or he's gone in a year."
    Last edited by jloome; 02-25-2021 at 09:09 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hope we stay on Borré like a dog in heat. I have invested far too much time browsing his name on Twitter to give up now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.fichajes.net/noticias/co...-20210225.html

"The intention of the contract would be to pay the player two million dollars a year with a bonus of 4.7 million dollars at the time of signing. A contract at the level of a European team, with which they want to ensure the incorporation of some of the best forwards in America in the last three years.

But River Plate is not interested in this happening because they want to receive money from the player's sale and, as reported by Diario Olé, in order for him to end up free, many things have to happen: The Colombian has to fix the numbers of his new contract with River Plate and that the millionaire team agree with Atlético de Madrid for the purchase of 25% of the pass that they are obliged to buy for 3.5 million euros.

This news has not allowed Marcelo Gallardo to sleep peacefully, who intends for Rafael Santos Borré to stay, the top scorer of his era at River Plate and a very difficult player to supply in this difficult transfer market due to the pandemic by COVID-19. River's intention is to be able to renew the player and start listening to offers for him. Everything that is necessary to receive money for your departure."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RealG-TFC View Post

"The intention of the contract would be to pay the player two million dollars a year with a bonus of 4.7 million dollars at the time of signing. A contract at the level of a European team, with which they want to ensure the incorporation of some of the best forwards in America in the last three years.

But River Plate is not interested in this happening because they want to receive money from the player's sale and, as reported by Diario Olé, in order for him to end up free, many things have to happen: The Colombian has to fix the numbers of his new contract with River Plate and that the millionaire team agree with Atlético de Madrid for the purchase of 25% of the pass that they are obliged to buy for 3.5 million euros.

This news has not allowed Marcelo Gallardo to sleep peacefully, who intends for Rafael Santos Borré to stay, the top scorer of his era at River Plate and a very difficult player to supply in this difficult transfer market due to the pandemic by COVID-19. River's intention is to be able to renew the player and start listening to offers for him. Everything that is necessary to receive money for your departure."
    They want him to resign just to sell him immediately? Not a chance Madrid wants him, not after he flamed out over there once already. I doubt his agent is buying that pantload. Why would be risk re-signing with them when he's coming on a free? Maybe Curtis has told his agent we'll wait 'til the half-season break, pay him more because we're getting him on a free.

Plus, financial issues, payment issues, the usual issues down south. Potentially.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    They want him to resign just to sell him immediately? Not a chance Madrid wants him, not after he flamed out over there once already. I doubt his agent is buying that pantload. Why would be risk re-signing with them when he's coming on a free? Maybe Curtis has told his agent we'll wait 'til the half-season break, pay him more because we're getting him on a free.

Plus, financial issues, payment issues, the usual issues down south. Potentially.
    River currently only owns 50% of Borre. Madrid owns the other 50%. In order for River to re-sign Borre they need to pay Madrid 3.5 Million Euros minimum to acquire an additional 25% of his rights. Right now Madrid get 50% of transfer, if he goes in June nobody get anything. Palmieras want to wait until June. I highly doubt that River are willing to wait that long.

This is already becoming a soap opera for them.

I would expect River to want a resolution on this soon, not in three months. If TFC are willing to pay a transfer and Borre will not sign with River, I bet we move to the top of the list.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RealG-TFC View Post

River's intention is to be able to renew the player and start listening to offers for him. Everything that is necessary to receive money for your departure."
    Thats what i translated as well El Verdao wanted to pay him that wage but did no want to buy him from River. It also went on that Borre wants to sign an agreement with River so they get some money in addition to his higher wage. "El Verdao offered Borré $14.7 million for a five-year contract, until June 2026, but on the condition that he arrives in July with the pass in his possession"

That sounds like an entrance for TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not persuaded Jahkeele is anywhere near ready for that level of team. I really like Ralph Prisio, he looked like he had been playing MLS for several seasons last year, but I was surprised to see his self evaluation. Of course confidence is a good thing....
    Little bit tough to judge, he’s still so young and we’ve seen so little of him with the first team.

I remember watching Davies and going from: there is a small child on the pitch, well I guess he’s not a liability, he’s doing alright, holly god here is Canadian Messi. All in the span of 18 months.

The incline some of these guys hit is just outrageous if they have the talent. Not saying I don’t have the same skepticism you do. But (supposedly) Jahkeele is the consensus best North American player in his year. Not projected to be a generational talent but very good.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 02-25-2021 at 10:05 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bought with blo View Post
    River currently only owns 50% of Borre. Madrid owns the other 50%. In order for River to re-sign Borre they need to pay Madrid 3.5 Million Euros minimum to acquire an additional 25% of his rights. Right now Madrid get 50% of transfer, if he goes in June nobody get anything. Palmieras want to wait until June. I highly doubt that River are willing to wait that long.

This is already becoming a soap opera for them.

I would expect River to want a resolution on this soon, not in three months. If TFC are willing to pay a transfer and Borre will not sign with River, I bet we move to the top of the list.
    Ah! That makes much more sense. So their absolute best outcome, as he's unlikely to resign for a fraction of what he can get from us, is to sell and take their 50% of the fee.

Of course, that assumes we're willing to pay and not doing the same thing Palmeiras is and waiting.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since Palmeiras is out, we just need MLSE to drop the bag and we get Borré right away? I might get my hopes up...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DeRO thought he could have made it at Real Madrid. I kid you not. I've never interviewed a professional athlete who didn't think he could be among the best with the right breaks.

(And I genuinely think DeRo was undervalued in his career; he could've played at the top level in Europe, if not for the top team).

I'd already heard Rutty was being scouted by Bayern eighteen months ago and I've only seen him play a couple of times. I didn't see it either, but from everything I'm reading, he's a technical marvel.

Priso reminded me of Geoff Cameron, if not in style certainly in the total ease with which he was one of the best players whenever he was on the pitch. I saw Cameron play twice at Houson and said, "well, that dude's going to the premiership right quick," and they hadn't even decided what position he was at that point. How drafters didn't see it when he came out of NCAA is beyond me. It was just screamingly obvious how he could take over a game.

I think Priso could be the same way. He has that gear, that step-up gear. Twice last season he was surrounded by swarming players and he was so calm about juking three, four dudes and laying off the perfect pass, I thought "man, this dude either flames out entirely due to overconfidence, because his thinking is that quick and smooth, or he's gone in a year."
    Man, jloome, can you ever write. Have you considered journalism? . I agree re Priso, he had a preternatural calm out there. Looked like he had all the time in the world. But "a year in MLS" is very confident indeed. As for deRo, the club blocking his trial at Celtic and Earle Cochrane lying about it was a low moment. DeRo said to reporters about it "what would you do if the New York Times approached you?" They should have let him have his shot. He could have been highly effective. Motivated, fit, skilled.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hope we stay on Borré like a dog in heat. I have invested far too much time browsing his name on Twitter to give up now.
    hahahahahahahaha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Borre saga sounds to me like he has told River that he is definitely leaving and River (a huge club, I saw them play Boca Juniors once and it was mayhem) is desperately trying to get some money out of it having failed to re-sign him one year ahead. His agent has created an auction between clubs which is smart and expected. The part I don't understand is that FIFA allows a player to sign a pre contract in these circumstances ie sign now to commit to TFC in June; it must be that Borre's agent either would get a cut of a transfer fee, so wants River to sell, or that the auction is real and live and they are still extracting better offers from the clubs bidding for Borre.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man, jloome, can you ever write. Have you considered journalism? . I agree re Priso, he had a preternatural calm out there. Looked like he had all the time in the world. But "a year in MLS" is very confident indeed. As for deRo, the club blocking his trial at Celtic and Earle Cochrane lying about it was a low moment. DeRo said to reporters about it "what would you do if the New York Times approached you?" They should have let him have his shot. He could have been highly effective. Motivated, fit, skilled.
    Ironically, that was just one of his misadventures. Supposedly Kevin Keegan was ready to sign him with Manchester City but the board blocked him because “there was no way a North American player could cut it”

Too bad. But his work building the game here has been invaluable. Someone should give him a TV gig, he’s pretty entertaining. Would be a welcome departure from the stuffy, personality-free crews we have today.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It does sound like we could have Borré right now if we were to throw 5 or 6 million at River Plate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah! That makes much more sense. So their absolute best outcome, as he's unlikely to resign for a fraction of what he can get from us, is to sell and take their 50% of the fee.

Of course, that assumes we're willing to pay and not doing the same thing Palmeiras is and waiting.
    Hard to know what info we have that is Agent posturing, team posturing, etc. But unless there are other teams in the mix, I still see the transfer fee as a last resort in this case because the contract expires so soon. All of the complication about who owns what % of the contract goes away in a few months. At that point the question is whether you can offer more to the player (assuming there is no reservation about coming to MLS). I've so far only read leaked details about River and Palmieras offers, and who knows if they are accurate, but if TFC rates Borré as a DP, then we know it is entirely plausable that they could do $4-6$M per season just based on what they've paid others in recent history, which would beat the leaked offers . This is especially true if the rumors of Jozy wanting to leave are true.

If there are multiple teams involved sniffing around for that free transfer, thats when the idea of paying some kind of fee could work. But ultimately, IMO it's River who may have effed up here. If they wanted to guarantee a big fee, the time to do this would have been last season (even with all the complicating external factors). Now they're stuck trying to squeeze a fee when it's in everybody else's interest to simply wait a couple months.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The thing that impresses me the most about Priso is his poise under pressure. There aren't a lot of 18 year old players in MLS where the game seems to slow down when they get the ball.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PaceyWinger View Post
    Hard to know what info we have that is Agent posturing, team posturing, etc. But unless there are other teams in the mix, I still see the transfer fee as a last resort in this case because the contract expires so soon. All of the complication about who owns what % of the contract goes away in a few months. At that point the question is whether you can offer more to the player (assuming there is no reservation about coming to MLS). I've so far only read leaked details about River and Palmieras offers, and who knows if they are accurate, but if TFC rates Borré as a DP, then we know it is entirely plausable that they could do $4-6$M per season just based on what they've paid others in recent history, which would beat the leaked offers . This is especially true if the rumors of Jozy wanting to leave are true.

If there are multiple teams involved sniffing around for that free transfer, thats when the idea of paying some kind of fee could work. But ultimately, IMO it's River who may have effed up here. If they wanted to guarantee a big fee, the time to do this would have been last season (even with all the complicating external factors). Now they're stuck trying to squeeze a fee when it's in everybody else's interest to simply wait a couple months.
    Good points in here, hopefully F/O can use this to learn from in the future. Realizing that we shouldn't be waiting until the very end of a contract to re-sign them otherwise things can get messy and add unnecessary complications.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Ironically, that was just one of his misadventures. Supposedly Kevin Keegan was ready to sign him with Manchester City but the board blocked him because “there was no way a North American player could cut it”

Too bad. But his work building the game here has been invaluable. Someone should give him a TV gig, he’s pretty entertaining. Would be a welcome departure from the stuffy, personality-free crews we have today.
    I remember that! I didn't know why Keegan was shot down though. That's very disappointing.

The Celtic debacle was just so bad.