Borre has accepted Gremio's offer
    https://twitter.com/CLMerlo/status/1...411929095?s=19

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    I'm pro-vaccine, but if expressing this kind of viewpoint costs a player his job then I think that's a terrible world we live in.

DeLeon has been incredibly valuable to this team and I would be extremely upset to see him go.
    TFC and other MLS teams are going to need special or regular permission to cross the border. (Up to now TFC needed special permission just to train in Toronto; that situation in the US varies.) Based on the published MLS schedule, TFC is hoping to play at BMO Field again starting June 19th. (Deleon himself mentioned the problems of being away from your families & away from home for long.) By then MLS teams will all be able to be fully vaccinated, i.e. two doses (or one dose of J&J) plus a couple weeks after for maximum immunity.

What if either the Cdn or US governments have problems with giving travel permission to teams or individual players due to them refusing the vaccine? Especially in a pro sports environment where risk of transmission is high. What if a couple of other TFC players share Nick’s “viewpoints”?

He’s not just expressing a viewpoint: he’s making a concrete health decision which affects himself and many people around him, and he was very vocal about something where there is a huge issue of publicity & public health.

Plus, in addition to infection risk (and therefore impact on the whole team & league) and possible border or public health scrutiny, he puts TFC & MLSE management in a very difficult position in terms of wanting to be community members & leaders. Nick opened his mouth much wider than necessary, about vaccines & much more. “All For One”? “No I in team”?

In the full Toronto Sun article, Nick speaks about how difficult isolation was, but one of those events was due to the recent COVID outbreak in the team; he seems to even have a problem with the response to that?!? Life last year for TFC players was very tough, but I believe they got 90% of their salary. Others have had to isolate themselves for a full year, often away from their families, to avoid risk to themselves or others. Many lost family members or have long-term health impacts. Nick (and possibly others on the team) make the messaging for TFC / MLSE / MLS extremely difficult.

Edit: Laura Armstrong had an article yesterday, how MLSE is prepping its arenas & stadiums for the return of fans. MLS is a gate-driven league. Whether Nick realizes it or not, his job is dependent on a large majority of us fans & supporters getting vaccinated. Again he makes the messaging extremely difficult.
    Last edited by Auzzy; 03-26-2021 at 06:31 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    im glad this is over,iwonder what the transfer fee is,because he was really concerned about that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What a strange ending. Of all the clubs he’s been linked with this seems like the most odd-ball arrangement. One wonders if there’s plans for a quick flip and sell-on here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    What a strange ending. Of all the clubs he’s been linked with this seems like the most odd-ball arrangement. One wonders if there’s plans for a quick flip and sell-on here.
    That's got to be it, he wants Europe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, that sucks. Give that money to Cavani for two seasons. One last hoorah for this core.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope TFC had a backup plan to Borre, and this will let them move forward?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Hopefully. The team is good enough to stay afloat until summer without a 3rd DP. No need to rush it and go get a Hoilett or something. Going after Borré was a great sign of ambition and I hope they continue to chase someone of that level.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exactly this....

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guess this mean at this point we will be awaiting at least til July for anything major.

Really felt this was turning into something similar to the Jermaine Defoe situation where you are trying to stick a square peg in a round hole if he had landed in their lap.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That really took me by surprise, never thought they would spend that money in a single player, is not something Gremio does usually. But I completely forgot they just sold one of their (good) young players to Europe, so they have some money to spend.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would hope so but there has been a tendency with this team to get focused for a few weeks & let the 2nd & 3rd options slide - that's how we ended up with Piatti last year.

Still need another CB.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I would hope so but there has been a tendency with this team to get focused for a few weeks & let the 2nd & 3rd options slide - that's how we ended up with Piatti last year.

Still need another CB.
    I wouldn't mind if they brought back Piatti. He worked hard off the ball and has skill

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't really care about not getting Borre or any DP for that matter. Let's do something at the back already. There has to be another CB in before the season starts. Hopefully a back up LB too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ali Curtis is not a closer.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I totally agree about the CB. Ciman wasn’t perfect, but we really needed him the last seasons, now he’s gone. Better than 50% chance that both Mavinga & Gonzalez are not available some weeks, due to injuries or needing a break. Are they planning to play Zavaleta & Dunn together?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well Bradley as CB is always an emergency option
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC/Everton View Post
    Ali Curtis is not a closer.
    Not at all but I’ll give him a slight pass on this one in the sense it was always going to be a tricky signing and the ambition level was pretty damn good.

Let’s see the follow up. There are more finish in the sea.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ambition was great, finishing poor. Hopefully, that’s not a theme for this year. I thought we needed both a defender and an attacker, my concern now is how we handle CCL (i guess we will see).

There is an argument to approaching the season it like Seattle, gradually go through the year, be competitive but stay away from injury and pick up that one or two important pieces near the end. The real problem i have is that we played a high number of games between Montreal and Vancouver so i am not really sure how good we really were.

Playing Leon right away will give us a very fast appreciation for that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    well Bradley as CB is always an emergency option
    I believe Fraser has played a game or two as a CB aswell. If it comes to that we rightfully should be calling out the FO for being lazy though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe Fraser or Okello can fill in at CB. They could sign the CB from The USL who is on trial.

Maybe they revisit Bruna? He knows the red bull system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    Maybe Fraser or Okello can fill in at CB. They could sign the CB from The USL who is on trial.

Maybe they revisit Bruna? He knows the red bull system.
    Purely from a body type standpoint, if you had to draw your model CB it would probably look identical to Okello.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Extremely odd that Gremio just sweeps in at the last minute. I hope these guys have a back-up plan, but I doubt they do.

Bring back Gilberto?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cue the covid excuses from manning and curtis, aka its hard when you cant meet players in person,meanwhile germio prob makes 2 phone calls and its done

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Purely from a body type standpoint, if you had to draw your model CB it would probably look identical to Okello.
    Give how mobile he is for his size and how good at closing down space, I doubt they'd move Okello back there, too limiting.

Fraser I can see. He hasn't shown enough at midfield to break in there, but we have a dearth of young center halfs. He's big enough, he passes well which is increasingly important back there.

I don't think Borre was coming unless we got him in the next window as a free.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Extremely odd that Gremio just sweeps in at the last minute. I hope these guys have a back-up plan, but I doubt they do.

Bring back Gilberto?
    This is why I think its more evident that the Reds were a willing pawn in this, they allowed themselves to be used by Borra to get the offer he wanted from where he would be happy. Borre and his agent were basically using the Reds supposed offer to get a better one, now if they get something out of this, we shall wait and see.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    cue the covid excuses from manning and curtis, aka its hard when you cant meet players in person,meanwhile germio prob makes 2 phone calls and its done
    Neither has any kind of successful record at transfers from their former club. BOth had records for promoting the kids. And we have the heaviest wage bill in the league for most of the last five years.

It all adds up to the board liking their lack of action.

Again, predictable but not necessarily bad. We have a lot of young talent. I think it'll hurt us this year unless we sign another potentially first-string center back, but it'll be interesting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i was never that excited about borre,he was playing tfc like a fiddle,i want the young players to play,i would be happy with a cb and lb.
    2 games a week will come in a hurry,so lets see what a zava dunn combo looks like and we will see it.hopefully dunn becomes a stud,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While not official yet, we do still have that U-22 slot to fill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just thinking about the Canada U23 team, why is their no representation with our club on that squad, does this look like we arent investing in our academy or is their a bigger issue, to not even have a single player even on the bench doesnt look great, i hope we are able to build out future stars but as of right now doesnt look like we are heading to keep up with MTL and VAN