Page 31 of 71 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Somebody has to explain to the head office that the occasional announcement is ACTUALLY good for PR. Like, figure out a way to actually keep interest going in this team.

I fully expect that tomorrow there will be an announcement of the new coaching staff but at least 1 coaching staff member SURELY could have been announced a week ago to make the team sound like they are doing SOMETHING.

I'm not asking them to make a signing for the sake of a signing but for GAWD'S SAKE, stop acting like the fans are not interested.

Seriously, there have been more announcements about E-MLS then about a team having "an interesting off season". Yup, new coach is one thing but that was a month ago. Its Covid time and ....oh look...the Jays are making moves and they are more likely to be able to have a home game announcement before MLS does so maybe get your butt in gear and start working out how to get SOME NEWS going.

Like, maybe this brain trust thinks that we think like NYRB fans who only seem to care about the team when they can go into the stands. You've had weeks to put together a team before training camp - figure out a way to announce SOMETHING. Heck, Vancouver's big signing is their stats team.

Announce a new defence coach....a new analytics assistant. JUST GET YOURSELF LOOKING LIKE YOU ACTUALLY GIVE A DAMN BEYOND YOUR FREAKING PLANS
    Totally agree. Leaving aside any aspects of the on field product, they get a failing grade from me for off field marketing and hype. The irony of team owned by the two largest media companies in the country basically hiding in the shadows is a bit much.

They need to hire someone to take care of this before we sink to RBNY levels of irrelevancy. We could sign Messi and they’d probably have a single presser on Friday at 4:30 before a long weekend.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    To say the least.... We haven’t even re-signed players from last years roster who are out-of-contract.

Let’s start preparing the list of excuses for this summer when the window drags on and we wait to make moves.
    And apparently they are coming to camp...LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    And apparently they are coming to camp...LOL
    I’m guessing that Zavaleta doesn’t have any better options than coming to camp and hoping to get a new contract when Curtis fails to sign a better option.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Signing Zavs for the veteran minimum isn't the worst idea for 4/5th CB. He was alright last year when called upon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Signing Zavs for the veteran minimum isn't the worst idea for 4/5th CB. He was alright last year when called upon.
    I was being really sarcastic, but I wouldn’t mind him at minimum for the 4th/5th spot. I’d being extremely disappointed if he was signed as the 3rd CB.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Totally agree. Leaving aside any aspects of the on field product, they get a failing grade from me for off field marketing and hype. The irony of team owned by the two largest media companies in the country basically hiding in the shadows is a bit much.

They need to hire someone to take care of this before we sink to RBNY levels of irrelevancy. We could sign Messi and they’d probably have a single presser on Friday at 4:30 before a long weekend.
    man do i miss TL,and when i complained about how brutal there content is they mocked me by showing me a picture of a snow covered bmo,isnt there media content guy a former nyrb employee.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone else feel that the marketing for this team has completely disappeared?

Outside of 25,000 season ticket holders, they have done nothing to keep the eyes on them.

Literally, the game against Nashville last year for a lot of people that I know, who is categorize as fans, but not huge supporters, didn’t even know the playoffs started.

As soon as Tim left, so did the big team marketing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC1154ever View Post
    Does anyone else feel that the marketing for this team has completely disappeared?

Outside of 25,000 season ticket holders, they have done nothing to keep the eyes on them.

Literally, the game against Nashville last year for a lot of people that I know, who is categorize as fans, but not huge supporters, didn’t even know the playoffs started.

As soon as Tim left, so did the big team marketing.
    Correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t Curtis have a major issue with communication and the supporters at NYRB?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As there was a bit of concern in the past few pages if Jozy would show up for training camp, he is photo number one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To say the least.... We haven’t even re-signed players from last years roster who are out-of-contract.

Let’s start preparing the list of excuses for this summer when the window drags on and we wait to make moves.
    I’m really struggling to believe that there isn’t something we aren’t aware of that explains this off-season. We all have dished our criticism of Manning/Curtis, but to have been this abysmal? There’s got to be something that reasonably explains this. The only thing they’ve accomplished is hiring a head coach, who is nice a guy and could turn out well but is far below expectations.

Curtis might flinch at this idea, but a town hall might not be the worst thing in the world.
    Last edited by portu; 02-17-2021 at 11:32 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it just me or is Jozy looking a lot more svelte?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Hopefully. Part of Jozy's injury issues (in my opinion) seem to come from him carrying too much muscle.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Berhalter said he was the most in shape person in the January USMNT camp. Then a couple days later he got injured.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Berhalter said he was the most in shape person in the January USMNT camp. Then a couple days later he got injured.
    “Injured” in big air quotes

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamp Berg View Post
    Correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t Curtis have a major issue with communication and the supporters at NYRB?
    Yes he did, one of their town halls went sideways with the questioning and someone recorded posted it online, it was not pretty.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Yes he did, one of their town halls went sideways with the questioning and someone recorded posted it online, it was not pretty.
    TBF that was mostly due to Petke being sacked

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This seems like quite bad news for TFC regarding Borré.

https://twitter.com/radiolared/statu...663783426?s=20

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The assistants are named by Armas and he keeps Conway, who is terrible.

That's a big disappointment. At least the fitness guys are gone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TBF that was mostly due to Petke being sacked
    Ah, I couldn’t remember the circumstances.
    On another note, new coaches announced on torontofc.ca. Isn’t Jon Conway the same goalkeeping coach that’s been around since before Vanney came?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamp Berg View Post
    Ah, I couldn’t remember the circumstances.
    On another note, new coaches announced on torontofc.ca. Isn’t Jon Conway the same goalkeeping coach that’s been around since before Vanney came?
    Yes and every GK regresses year to year under his watch.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

doesn't this say the are going to try to renew his contract?

doesn't mean we can't offer him a far better deal, we're probably offering to quadruple his wages, or more.

anyways, if we're seriously after borre, and just can't get the deal done, you'd hope that we are simultaneously looking at other options at a similar level.

would be a massive disappointment to be linked to borre all summer and end up with hoilett.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Contract renewal would be bad sign, but, them buying the extra piece of ownership rights from Atletico could actually be a sign they want to sell. You'd only do that if you thought you could drive value from it, and you can only do that by selling

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    doesn't this say the are going to try to renew his contract?

doesn't mean we can't offer him a far better deal, we're probably offering to quadruple his wages, or more.
    Not sure they would buy the rest of his rights if they didn't think they could get a new contract done. That would be millions wasted. The only way it makes sense is if TFC is offering them a good sized transfer fee, which I just can't see happening.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    I’m really struggling to believe that there isn’t something we aren’t aware of that explains this off-season. We all have dished our criticism of Manning/Curtis, but to have been this abysmal? There’s got to be something that reasonably explains this. The only thing they’ve accomplished is hiring a head coach, who is nice a guy and could turn out well but is far below expectations.

Curtis might flinch at this idea, but a town hall might not be the worst thing in the world.

It doesn't take long of digging into his record in NY to get nervous.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/new-yo...ers/verein/623

Check out their transfers between 2014-2016, when he was Sporting Director. The man has basically ZERO experience cutting deals.

And he left because it was either him or Jessie Marsch in control. They could no longer work together.

Jesse Marsch's track record since then is pretty good.

As far as I can tell, Ali doesn't really have one. The only DP he signed was Gonzalo Veron, who was a complete bust. Most of their player traffic was youth signings, all of whom were in the system already when he joined in 2014.

Prior to that, he was a business executive with the league.

So...

We have a GM with essentially no experience at this level. He had three active years in NY, leaving in early 2017.

In that time, they only two really stalwart signings he managed from outside the organization were Tim Parker, who demanded a trade from Vancouver and was surprisingly available, and Daniel Royer, who was recommended by RB Salzburg.

I get more nervous with each passing day and nothing said.

On top of that, as some have mentioned, their promotions and communications have just gone to shit. As some of you know I was in the media for twenty-five years and while they were never as good as they could have been at promo, they were still among the best in MLS. Where has that gone?

I get the sense maybe that the mandate now is to turn into a youth production facility and churn out transfers. I suspect they overestimate the general loyalty of the fan base, past us diehards, if they think a decade of mediocrity is going to keep the tickets selling and players wanting to come.

It's so small minded. I really hope that isn't the way this is going.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Correct me if I’m wrong but that reads to me as “we intend to”. I can intend to date margot robbie but that’s not happening either.

Not ruling anything out at this stage. The clubs mentioned as being interested in transfer (so far) don’t necessarily have the willingness to offer the same things we do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    As there was a bit of concern in the past few pages if Jozy would show up for training camp, he is photo number one.
    Who is the sad looking fellow top right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I get the sense maybe that the mandate now is to turn into a youth production facility and churn out transfers. I suspect they overestimate the general loyalty of the fan base, past us diehards, if they think a decade of mediocrity is going to keep the tickets selling and players wanting to come.
    They burned any sense of die-hard loyalty out of me with Mo Johnston / Tom Anselmi.

I’ll never walk away from the club in entirety but I’m happy to tailor my spending level to what they offer on the field. Hitting their bottom line is what gets their attention and I’m always happy to do my part to send a message.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    It doesn't take long of digging into his record in NY to get nervous.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/new-yo...ers/verein/623

Check out their transfers between 2014-2016, when he was Sporting Director. The man has basically ZERO experience cutting deals.

And he left because it was either him or Jessie Marsch in control. They could no longer work together.

Jesse Marsch's track record since then is pretty good.

As far as I can tell, Ali doesn't really have one. The only DP he signed was Gonzalo Veron, who was a complete bust. Most of their player traffic was youth signings, all of whom were in the system already when he joined in 2014.

Prior to that, he was a business executive with the league.

So...

We have a GM with essentially no experience at this level. He had three active years in NY, leaving in early 2017.

In that time, they only two really stalwart signings he managed from outside the organization were Tim Parker, who demanded a trade from Vancouver and was surprisingly available, and Daniel Royer, who was recommended by RB Salzburg.

I get more nervous with each passing day and nothing said.

On top of that, as some have mentioned, their promotions and communications have just gone to shit. As some of you know I was in the media for twenty-five years and while they were never as good as they could have been at promo, they were still among the best in MLS. Where has that gone?

It's so small minded. I really hope that isn't the way this is going.
    I think the lack of media savvy is more to do with the fact that the team is no longer an entirely separate administration and is run pretty directly by MLSE - marketing TFC just isn't a priority there. Better if it was totally independent for this at least.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Correct me if I’m wrong but that reads to me as “we intend to”. I can intend to date margot robbie but that’s not happening either.

Not ruling anything out at this stage. The clubs mentioned as being interested in transfer (so far) don’t necessarily have the willingness to offer the same things we do.
    Yeah, it is hard to tell the exact meaning of some things with these wonky Google translations.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Things that never happened:

Chris Armas on Jozy Altidore’s current status at Toronto FC: “He has helped build this house & has been really important around here.Your chances go up when he is out there. We want to get to work right away with him. He texted me saying ‘he can’t wait to do the pressing’ for me”