Page 23 of 71 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    To do that would be unwise. If it goes tits up it could likely tank the kids development.

Now, a solid 6 to 8 game stretch of starts each for Priso, Nelson, Rutty etc....that could work.
    I think each case is it’s own. From what we’ve seen so far, you could look at Priso as a regular. There’s no caveats to his performance, he’s just a solid player. There is no reason not to play him.

The others... look like projects. It might mean watching these guys shine eventually (and be sold) but a lot of pain and dropped points along the way. No thanks to that.
    Keep it to sub minutes until they become more consistent and maybe the odd start if someone isn’t healthy.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    How would everyone feel if this year was a rebuild and it was all 'play the kids' to see who can be sold on?
    I would hate it. We don't need to rebuild.

If Jozy stays healthy and we bring in that 3rd DP, We should have a run with this squad as is.

After that - it's 1-2 pieces a year to keep the momentum.
    - Next would be, a viable Bradly replacement
    - after that, a CB leader to replace omar
    - After that - a jozy replacement.

We don't need an overhaul to remain competitive. If they do that - it tells me they've failed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    Yep, very fair and it's generally easy with hindsight, though I will say I was equally vocal about it being one of the worst contracts we gave out at the time it was signed, too, but he equally could have turned around and proved me wrong

Saying that, I wasn't really trying to single out Jozy and you could think it was all worth it and that's fine - i just wanted to show why it does matter how much we pay our DPs in a way that looking at their contracts just as costing a single DP slot doesn't quite capture
    I get all these points, and they're all fair, but I would still say the DP spot itself is generally more valuable than the money paid to the player (unless it was a Messi type deal). It would be interesting to see what would happen if DP spots could be bought and sold like TAM and BAM and BLAM.

On the moving Jozy on point you made, I would think his no-trade clause is what makes that most difficult. He has to agree to any deal does he not?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    I would hate it. We don't need to rebuild.

If Jozy stays healthy and we bring in that 3rd DP, We should have a run with this squad as is.

After that - it's 1-2 pieces a year to keep the momentum.
    - after that, a CB leader to replace omar
    - After that - a jozy replacement.

We don't need an overhaul to remain competitive. If they do that - it tells me they've failed
    I still think a decent CB is a need this year for any serious contention in the league. Someone that can help rotate with Omar and Chris and or even fill in reliably for longer periods if either one is injured. Someone other than Mr. I Slide Tackle On Every Play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I think each case is it’s own. From what we’ve seen so far, you could look at Priso as a regular. There’s no caveats to his performance, he’s just a solid player. There is no reason not to play him.

The others... look like projects. It might mean watching these guys shine eventually (and be sold) but a lot of pain and dropped points along the way. No thanks to that.
    Keep it to sub minutes until they become more consistent and maybe the odd start if someone isn’t healthy.
    I think Nelson showed enough last season to give him a solid run of starts

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    I still think a decent CB is a need this year for any serious contention in the league. Someone that can help rotate with Omar and Chris and or even fill in reliably for longer periods if either one is injured. Someone other than Mr. I Slide Tackle On Every Play.
    I agree with you 100%
    I would love to get another guy in - the second coming of Drew Moor - because as much as I rate Omar - I think Drew was a much better CB. He made the Nephew look like a viable MLS starter for years!

I think those first two points the order doesn't matter - if you can get the right guy - just get him and deal with the duplicates later.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Nelson showed enough last season to give him a solid run of starts
    Too scattered for me. Skills are there but needs to learn to play inside the team and find his role in a squad where he’s not looked at as the best player on the field.

Let him prove he can be consistent off the subs bench, 30 minutes at a time, and see where it goes.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 02-10-2021 at 10:31 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with you 100%
    I would love to get another guy in - the second coming of Drew Moor - because as much as I rate Omar - I think Drew was a much better CB. He made the Nephew look like a viable MLS starter for years!

I think those first two points the order doesn't matter - if you can get the right guy - just get him and deal with the duplicates later.
    100% DP and CB are table stakes for this year. And there is nothing to suggest that they won't go for it, but if we start without either of those in place I will be pissed.

And I do like having a strong TFC2 as a feeder, but this team is not in blow up mode, while we have a legitimate chance at some CCL success (I know we need to get in first). I think that is going to carry my interest more.

In hindsight, remember our biggest debate this time last year was where we were going to go before games. Getting out of Shoeless for Joe & Kim turned out to be a blessing.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Too scattered for me. Skills are there but needs to learn to play inside the team and find his role in a squad where he’s not looked at as the best player on the field.

Let him prove he can be consistent off the subs bench, 30 minutes at a time, and see where it goes.
    Yeah Nelson to me still needs work to ever be considered for a starting role. He dives in with every play and burns a lot of unnecessary energy when doing defensive work. My son playing rep soccer at 12 years old was benched for that a few times until he learned to stop it. How a pro player is going out there and doing that kind of thing is beyond me. I couldn't believe it when watching him play that he was doing it so much. Any players with skill will take advantage of that situation and they have with Nelson many times. I get that he has speed and wants to be aggressive but he has to learn when to use that and when to be patient and just cut off a pass with good positioning when doing defensive work when the other team is trying to move the ball down the field. My son was the same and once he knew when to use his speed/aggressiveness and when to be patient with good positioning it made him twice as effective of a player on the pitch and dominated from that point on in his position. Any player on TFC making it to the first team should already know this stuff but here we are. I think he has potential for sure but needs some fine tuning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah Nelson to me still needs work to ever be considered for a starting role. He dives in with every play and burns a lot of unnecessary energy when doing defensive work. My son playing rep soccer at 12 years old was benched for that a few times until he learned to stop it. How a pro player is going out there and doing that kind of thing is beyond me. I couldn't believe it when watching him play that he was doing it so much. Any players with skill will take advantage of that situation and they have with Nelson many times. I get that he has speed and wants to be aggressive but he has to learn when to use that and when to be patient and just cut off a pass with good positioning when doing defensive work when the other team is trying to move the ball down the field. My son was the same and once he knew when to use his speed/aggressiveness and when to be patient with good positioning it made him twice as effective of a player on the pitch and dominated from that point on in his position. Any player on TFC making it to the first team should already know this stuff but here we are. I think he has potential for sure but needs some fine tuning.
    I’d say that the jury is still out on whether TFC can produce academy products good enough to play consistently or sell. The best so far have been players who have spent very little time in the academy. I know that a lot of academy products will not make it but the track record is pretty dismal so far. That said, I’m excited by some of the kids too, tentatively.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still think Osorio is this guy. He was excellent in that spot this past season when Bradley was injured.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hate to say it, but it speaks to poor coaching at the academy level. It looks like they allowed him to play in a free role for too long and didn’t consider how he’d fit in at the next level. Unless you’re the next Messi you better be able to figure out to play inside a team.

If I could draw a comparison. While the whitecaps aren’t perfect and I wouldn’t describe their work with Davies as perfection, they at least had the foresight to give him some time at LB because they understood that might be his opportunity to break into a world class team. Everyone was screaming at the time “why are you playing an incredible talent at LB?” But it was for his own benefit.

We should have forced Nelson into roles where he’d have to show positional consistency. If his future is as a #10, so be it. But you need to develop him in other ways for the team’s benefit and his own, cause it gives him more opportunities to play. It shouldn’t be up to the first team to teach this stuff to a player, but here we are

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i have no clue what direction this club is taking,are they a so called big club still or something in between,they seem terrified to sell players,they had a chance to sell bono,okello,in the past im sure they could sell ayo and lareya right now if they want,they seem to be in no mans land right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    i have no clue what direction this club is taking,are they a so called big club still or something in between,they seem terrified to sell players,they had a chance to sell bono,okello,in the past im sure they could sell ayo and lareya right now if they want,they seem to be in no mans land right now.
    This is a bit unsettling for me as well.
    I'm fine with our FO keeping a tight lid on signings and transfers but we literally have not made any moves since end of last season.
    Despite having a decent regular season, a lot of weakness showed towards the end of the campaign and playoffs and we haven't address any of them.
    If Piatti isn't coming back that leaves a massive gap in our attack that needs to be addressed but we are still sitting on our thumbs.
    Omar is another year older and was looking a bit slow and tired by the end of the season. He should still start but we need solid depth at CB and nothing....

Let's hope we start seeing some action soon.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I still think Osorio is this guy. He was excellent in that spot this past season when Bradley was injured.
    Both him and Delgado were covering that spot. Two guys were needed to cover that one spot - finding a Bradley replacement is going to be tough.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamp Berg View Post
    I’d say that the jury is still out on whether TFC can produce academy products good enough to play consistently or sell. The best so far have been players who have spent very little time in the academy. I know that a lot of academy products will not make it but the track record is pretty dismal so far. That said, I’m excited by some of the kids too, tentatively.
    Our academy was basically restarted by Bez back in 2015. From what I understand, the 15 year olds are the first real product of an academy run with some sense of capability.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everyone shocked and appalled by TFC not doing moves in the offseason realize our window only opened today right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everyone shocked and appalled by TFC not doing moves in the offseason realize our window only opened today right?
    true but alot of windows are closed now,that narrows the pool of players unless you are going with FA type of players and it would be more difficult to loan out players now and more importantly im bloody bored so do something,lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are TFC the only MLS side not to announce a new signing, make a trade, make a loan deal permanent or a re-signing of an out of contract player?

EDIT: TFC and NYFC look to be the least active from this https://www.mlssoccer.com/transactions/2021
    Last edited by Areathrasher; 02-10-2021 at 03:43 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are TFC the only MLS side not to announce a new signing, make a trade, make a loan deal permanent or a re-signing of an out of contract player?

EDIT: TFC and NYFC look to be the least active from this https://www.mlssoccer.com/transactions/2021
    Hey, we have a signing on the 'In' section. So what if it was from six months ago?
    Last edited by MikeForbes; 02-10-2021 at 04:13 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, hopefully they've got a bunch of unannounced stuff lined up already.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Our academy was basically restarted by Bez back in 2015. From what I understand, the 15 year olds are the first real product of an academy run with some sense of capability.
    Anyone rated highly?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Couldn’t they have traded or signed within the league?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a bit nerve wracking but I'm trying to be patient. New head coach, new priorities, lots of complications.

We need a center half who can compete for a starting job with Omar (Mavinga and Laryea are the 'locks' back there, and I'm not even that worried about Auro's weaker foot on the left. He's a solid player, at least.)

We need a winger who can draw defenders and create problems with speed and trickery, but can also put a good shot on net and threaten double-digit goals or assists.

I think the striker shortfall should we lose Jozy or if he has another difficult year could come from a mixture of Peruzza and Achara, if he's recovered. They both have enormous potential to be regular MLS level scorers and both look ready to step up. We already know Ayo is up to speed.

Given his skillset, they should either move Nelson inside for a while and play him as a striker, to develop his ability to shake defenders off the ball and finish, or commit outright to him as a winger. He doesn't, to me, show the confidence or read of the game, the patience on the ball, that Priso has. He's going 100% all the time, which won't work at the next level.

I wonder given how little I see or have seen in him if I just don't get the upsides to Liam Fraser's game at this point. I remember one game where he closed the middle really well, and quickly, and clogged things up, and another game when he hit a sublime, long, line splitting pass up top. So there's obviously some serious technique there; but like Bekker when he was with us, he just doesn't do enough extra.

Remember how Terry Dunfield would end up just wedged into this number eight shuttler role, where he's technically two-way but never has the speed or forthought to make space and gain yardage? I mean, I didn't knock his effort, but it wasn't contributing much, in the same way Bekker didn't, in the same Mo Babouli looked good holding onto the ball and gaining yardage but then had nothing at the end.

I frequently disagree with him and his oft-seemingly baseless confidence in his opinions irks the shit out of me, but maybe Matt Doyle is right; maybe he should be a center half (or center back in MLS, I guess we say).

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The window is kinda bogus because lots of players have already signed, even homegrowns, before today. We have none.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    I’m just wondering why we’ve made absolutely no moves whatsoever. I didn’t expect this at all. I mean I didn’t expect an off season like no other either. But not even one or two? The squad is worse right now than at the end of the season.
    "two weeks"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spot on.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    The window is kinda bogus because lots of players have already signed, even homegrowns, before today. We have none.
    But not surprising in the Manning led FO. Been this way since he came in and now seemingly a little slower with Curtis.

Some other organizations leak info for PR and to get things going on social media. Our FO doesn't care to generate excitement or any of that anymore. After endless townhalls and idiotic leaks from the PTSD days, I am still okay with the vow of silence and due diligence policies of the current FO. I will start worrying about it when the preseason is kicking into gear. Right now no one knows when preseason starts or even where we'll play this year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

there is literally no press covering this team,the ones that do jus react to twitter and other press like in ny and some mls insiders,have not heard a peep from the F O since since the first week of jan,way to keep the hype from the so called big club.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    there is literally no press covering this team,the ones that do jus react to twitter and other press like in ny and some mls insiders,have not heard a peep from the F O since since the first week of jan,way to keep the hype from the so called big club.
    Got an email about a member's webex thing with Chris Armas hosted by the Footy Talks guys. I guess that is something but likely will just be him saying all the same things he said when hired. Not like there is anything more to tell. This is more about TFC saying to the members that they are doing something extra for them. I won't be bothering to join to hear the same stuff from Armas re-hashed.