Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default TFC 2020-2021 player off-season roster discussion

TFC 2020=2021

General roster discussion

Player off-season moves/speculation/rumours
    Post your speculation/information/etc. here in this thread!

Confirmed (by traditional media or the club) signings can get a separate single thread. All other "inside" and other information goes here.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oldtimer! Its not the offseason for HOURS yet....

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Oldtimer! Its not the offseason for HOURS yet....
    LOL
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is an MLS trade freeze coming at 1pm today before the upcoming expansion draft on the 15th.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was just thinking about DP level players that are coming out of contract in 2021, and can play wing. A name that I saw that reminds me a lot of Giovinco age wise, playing time, and talent wise stood out, and he’s a free agent come 2021.

Julian Draxler. I thought to myself there is no chance, but that’s the same thing I said about Gio before he came.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speaking of Seba, it looks like he might be on his way out of Al-Hilal?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIyWlnZnwDG/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC1154ever View Post
    Was just thinking about DP level players that are coming out of contract in 2021, and can play wing. A name that I saw that reminds me a lot of Giovinco age wise, playing time, and talent wise stood out, and he’s a free agent come 2021.

Julian Draxler. I thought to myself there is no chance, but that’s the same thing I said about Gio before he came.
    As a person with German heritage, I would adore Draxler.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC Unprotected Players for Expansion Draft:

Endoh, Gallardo, Mullins, Silva

Also Ciman, Gallacher, Morrow, Zavaleta, Piatti (out of contract players)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Endoh would be the only guy who might be taken. Mullinho is who a smart team would take though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Endoh would be the only guy who might be taken. Mullinho is who a smart team would take though.
    Maybe not. Endoh was unprotected last year as well. The fact that he costs an International Spot makes him less likely. I think that was TFC's reasoning

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Surprised Jozy isn’t on our list. Is there any reasoning to that? Or are we about to pull off the sale of the century?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ElvistheEvilScotsman View Post
    Surprised Jozy isn’t on our list. Is there any reasoning to that? Or are we about to pull off the sale of the century?
    He probably has a no-trade clause, which makes him automatically protected

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You don't give up a DP for free given somebody somewhere would pay a fee for him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    You don't give up a DP for free given somebody somewhere would pay a fee for him.
    We are in a uniquely fucked position. Even if a club wanted him, they wouldn’t get anywhere near matching his salary. Therefore, he would never consent to a transfer. Realistically the only way to shed Jozy is to buy him out.

(And I think we should, even if it means spending less on a replacement DP for the next two years.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Depends on the fee. Realistically what would Jozy fetch on the transfer market right now?

If someone wanted to offer 2million for him, and we have to pay half of his 6 million salary, that's a net loss, in which case no fee and no retained salary would be better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would be shocked if there was a club anywhere that would want him, even on a free transfer.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NK Toronto View Post
    I would be shocked if there was a club anywhere that would want him, even on a free transfer.
    People on here really really need to get out of the "I don't like him therefore nobody must like him" way of thinking about our DPs.

The only thing standing in some people's way would be his current contract, and given Jozy wants to play next season to be ready for 2022 World Cup, he has an incentive to find a place even if he has to drop his salary.

LigaMx, Eredivise & MLS teams would all take him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last season Jozy scored 2 goals, was regularly injured, was out of shape the whole year, and he is over 30. Those are all facts, not my opinion. Generally speaking these are not the qualities most teams are looking for.
    Last edited by NK Toronto; 12-15-2020 at 07:43 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NK Toronto View Post
    Last season Jozy scored 2 goals, was regularly injured, was out of shape the whole year, and he is over 30. Those are all facts, not my opinion. Generally speaking these are not the qualities most teams are looking for.
    This is it. Nobody anywhere would be stupid enough to take Jozy at this stage. The only thing missing from NK's accurate base of facts is Jozy's general disinterest and unprofessional attitude. Before that's questioned, in my opinion, a veteran player who is the highest paid on the squad and was the captain before the Covid break should have exercised and kept fit to some degree during that time. He did not. With his health history and status on the team that says all you need to know about him.

People were quick to say Piatti was a waste of a DP spot in one season (his first MLS season too) because of lack of DP level production and because he got a typical injury near the end of a tough run. Jozy was much worse and making a lot more money and his injury history is even worse than Patti's.

2017 nostalgia might sway some TFC supporter opinions but that's where it ends.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People on here really really need to get out of the "I don't like him therefore nobody must like him" way of thinking about our DPs.

The only thing standing in some people's way would be his current contract, and given Jozy wants to play next season to be ready for 2022 World Cup, he has an incentive to find a place even if he has to drop his salary.

LigaMx, Eredivise & MLS teams would all take him.
    So question to you is.....do you think Jozy is worth it for what he is doing for the team right now for the price TFC are paying? Because that is all I see that people are saying for the most part. I think the last line of your post should also read "LigaMx, Eredivise & MLS teams would all take him but not at the price TFC are paying"

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    So question to you is.....do you think Jozy is worth it for what he is doing for the team right now for the price TFC are paying?"
    No I don't think he is currently worth the DP slot.

The idea being floated is he would not find a team to play on anywhere but TFC - that is patently absurd.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No I don't think he is currently worth the DP slot.

The idea being floated is he would not find a team to play on anywhere but TFC - that is patently absurd.
    I think that’s a little unfair. The argument is more that no team on earth is serving him a contract even remotely close to the 4-6m he’s been on the last 5 years. The list of MLS teams that would want him right now on this contract is likely zero. If he were at the 2.5m range (which would never happen unless he found the right Euro/MX club IMO) I still think the list of teams queuing for him would be countable on a few fingers at best.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    So question to you is.....do you think Jozy is worth it for what he is doing for the team right now for the price TFC are paying? Because that is all I see that people are saying for the most part. I think the last line of your post should also read "LigaMx, Eredivise & MLS teams would all take him but not at the price TFC are paying"
    the bolded part is bang on, the only part I would slightly disagree with is that Eredivise teams would be interested. I don't see that, his record was good there, but he's no resale value. Even the best team in Holland Ajax is a selling team, they buy young, develop and sell for profit. With Jozy at his age, injury concerns and wages, I don't see the upside for any dutch team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[So question to you is.....do you think Jozy is worth it for what he is doing for the team right now for the price TFC are paying? Because that is all I see that people are saying for the most part. I think the last line of your post should also read "LigaMx, Eredivise & MLS teams would all take him but not at the price TFC are paying"[/QUOTE]

I still don't understand why anyone cares what he gets paid. The most important number is 3 - the number of DPs teams are allowed. What each of those DPs get paid over the budget charge, I really don't care. The 3 spots are worth more than the dollar value of the contracts.
    Last edited by Canary10; 02-09-2021 at 11:19 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m personally floored by the fact that any athletes of colour managed to play to their potential in NA in the last 4 years, especially last year. Being distracted seems like an understatement. Their own president was endorsing hundreds of years of accumulated oppression and hatred. I’m amazed by these athlete’s strength and fortitude in the face of such blatant hate. Not sure I could keep my head in any game if that’s the world I woke up in every day.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    TFC Unprotected Players for Expansion Draft:

Endoh, Gallardo, Mullins, Silva

Also Ciman, Gallacher, Morrow, Zavaleta, Piatti (out of contract players)
    Potentially sucks for Ciman, given his history, even if it makes sense for TFC. I could see him retiring if Austin takes him, which is doubtful anyway.

Piatti is probably thinking WTF is this. I hope somebody told him about expansion drafts and other MLS shenanigans before he signed here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Potentially sucks for Ciman, given his history, even if it makes sense for TFC. I could see him retiring if Austin takes him, which is doubtful anyway.
    Ciman is a free agent starting Wednesday. Austin won't pick him. If they were to pick him he's under no obligation to join and can just sign here as an mls free agent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will Forbes @TransfersMLS

Sources tell me Toronto FC and Inter Miami are making a big push to sign Borre from River Plate. Miami holds his discovery rights. NYCFC and LAFC are also interested in the Colombian internation

Last edited by kuku; 12-15-2020 at 09:19 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jordan Perruzza posted on Instagram that he's signed with Paradigm Sports Management. That's the same agency as Jozy. Most of their players appear to be MLS/USL players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Borre would be interesting. Only 25. Wonder what signing a DP striker would mean for Akinola if both Borre is signed and Altidore stays?