Page 5 of 71 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    I And wow some of those names make me feel very old. Like Diego Fagundez already Out of Contract?
    10 years ago may make you feel very old. Time sure flies.

For me, very old is remembering Pele playing for the Cosmos. I feel very old (or is that very, very old?).
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 01-02-2021 at 09:09 PM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Zavaleta a free agent? I wonder if he'll go to LA?
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im sure he will join uncle vanney,hopefully we get some kinda news next week,coach,morrow,piatti,the dp contract for mullins

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    10 years ago may make you feel very old. Time sure flies.

For me, very old is remembering Pele playing for the Cosmos. I feel very old (or is that very, very old?).
    Yup that's old. NASL does feel like a different life for me. I saw Pele play for the Cosmos, live in the old Giants stadium. I remember him scoring a nice PK in the game. We drove down from the Boston suburbs for that. Mostly I was following the New England Tea Men at the time (but I only saw them play live in the old Foxborough stadium maybe once or twice).

What really scares me though: I used to be able to remember most details about TFC, like almost all former players, even specific games and results. Now so much of that is a blur, and I'm only 53. Yikes!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still remember a lot of Blizzard stuff. Thunderfoot. Jomo and Ace Not-So-Long-Ago. I wanted TFC to be named the Blizzard...
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, if you are my age, "Henderson! Henderson scores for Canada" is the defining sports moment of your life, on flickering B&W TV. But for a TFC fan, surely the the 2016 second leg was the most fun, in person event we will have. Hard to top that.

And of the Goal scorers that day, only Jozy is left.
    Last edited by MightyDM; 01-03-2021 at 12:05 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup that's old. NASL does feel like a different life for me. I saw Pele play for the Cosmos, live in the old Giants stadium. I remember him scoring a nice PK in the game. We drove down from the Boston suburbs for that. Mostly I was following the New England Tea Men at the time (but I only saw them play live in the old Foxborough stadium maybe once or twice).

What really scares me though: I used to be able to remember most details about TFC, like almost all former players, even specific games and results. Now so much of that is a blur, and I'm only 53. Yikes!
    Never saw Pele live, you're fortunate. My dad and I watched him on TV, I remember seeing him do one of his trademark bicycle kicks! Gotta love the original NASL with the crazy rule changes, gimmicks, cheerleaders, and ridiculous commentary.

I think with TFC there's been so many players over the years, and twists and turns in the saga it's hard to keep track. That's much different from any other sports team though. How many people can name much of the team besides Jamie Vardy when Leicester shock won the EPL? How many Leafs fans can remember much of the 1993 Leafs team? Or name more than 7 players on the 1992 Blue Jays? etc. It all becomes a blur after enough seasons.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 01-03-2021 at 02:40 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I still remember a lot of Blizzard stuff. Thunderfoot. Jomo and Ace Not-So-Long-Ago. I wanted TFC to be named the Blizzard...
    When we first moved to Canada (returned, for my mum and sisters) from the UK in 1980, I remember my father telling me Sir Stanley Matthews had retired to Toronto, and that was a massive endorsement in his eyes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    When we first moved to Canada (returned, for my mum and sisters) from the UK in 1980, I remember my father telling me Sir Stanley Matthews had retired to Toronto, and that was a massive endorsement in his eyes.
    im ageing myself,but i remember watching Sir Stanley play for Toronto City at varsity,he was like 45 at the time,

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I remember going to a few Toronto Blizard games in their last season of play, 1993 in the APSL. Always thought it would have been cool for TFCII to take over the Blizzard indentity, maybe a CPL team will one day. Seems the Blizzard right now are being run as a development program.

https://torontoblizzard.com

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    im ageing myself,but i remember watching Sir Stanley play for Toronto City at varsity,he was like 45 at the time,
    OK that is a serious credential. You need a pic of the Magician as your avatar or something.

You must be the only person in these parts to have seen The Magician live.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RT @KristianRDyer: Hearing that former #USMNT defender Steve Cherundulo has talked with #TFC about their head coach opening. Some buzz that…

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post

Wow.....

Can somebody find his ghost - need a bit of craft on the wing like he was.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everything that we have heard suggests the #TFCLive job is going to go to Patrick Vieira -- an offer is out.

I wouldn't read much into there not being an announcement yet. They'll want someone in place before the draft, likely (Jan 21). Still some time.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil744 View Post
    Everything that we have heard suggests the #TFCLive job is going to go to Patrick Vieira -- an offer is out.

I wouldn't read much into there not being an announcement yet. They'll want someone in place before the draft, likely (Jan 21). Still some time.
    The draft is pretty meaningless these days. Why are they using that as their deadline?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The draft is pretty meaningless these days. Why are they using that as their deadline?
    Afaik, the deadline comment came from Duane Rollins, not TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The comment from Duane seems a lot more definitive than I think it may be. He says "we have heard" - does that mean news that has been made public or news that he's hearing from sources? From public information I don't think its clear that Viera is the choice here. Just yesterday we were hearing about Cherundulo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why does it seem like we are the only team not making any moves 😢

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamp Berg View Post
    Why does it seem like we are the only team not making any moves 😢
    Ali Curtis is hard at work trying to get signings in. Expect an announcement on our new DP by September.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not until they hire the new manager,i doubt we sign anybody,the good news is ali has 6 to 8 more interviews with all the candidates

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just curious where the sentiment that Ali Curtis can't be trusted to tie his own shoes, let alone run a soccer club comes from?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think Ali is a smart guy,but he is so slow and boring,maybe that is a good thing,we shall see,we jus want some news.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do no expect any official move (announcement) from TFC on the player signing front until Monday, February 1.
    I hope I'm wrong.
    (But if nothing happended until, and on 1st or 2nd, then it's a big "f@ck off" from me to TFC management, in front with Ali.)
    Last edited by PizzaEatingYeti; 01-05-2021 at 07:19 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bought with blo View Post
    Just curious where the sentiment that Ali Curtis can't be trusted to tie his own shoes, let alone run a soccer club comes from?
    In my opinion, fair or unfair, he doesn't get any credit for winning the shield at NYRB or growing their academy. He is more associated with their lack of spending and decline over the past couple of years.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funny thing is, Curtis left NYRB almost 4 years ago.

On another note, Jozy called into USMNT camp.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    In my opinion, fair or unfair, he doesn't get any credit for winning the shield at NYRB or growing their academy. He is more associated with their lack of spending and decline over the past couple of years.
    Why is the GM responsible for spending levels?
    Isn't the owners job to set the budget?
    The GM simply executes their vision as best as they can within the budget.
    What has Ali done or not done in his time with Toronto to earn the level of scorn heaped upon him here?
    Especially since this attitude shows up most strongly here on this forum. In other media and on other TFC sites Ali seems to have a better reputation.
    Just curious what fuels the haters hate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What has Ali done or not done in his time with Toronto to earn the level of scorn heaped upon him here?
    Especially since this attitude shows up most strongly here on this forum. In other media and on other TFC sites Ali seems to have a better reputation.
    What he says doesn’t seem to match what he does.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think it is hate. It's more like people are skeptical - what have you done for us anyway? He unfortunately tends to overpromise and under deliver, which doesn't help. But it's not much different to how Bez was treated at the beginning - if anything the posts about Bez were more scathing. Curtis has the chance to earn the loyalty and support of most on this forum if he shows good judgement and progress but the jury is out for many so far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamp Berg View Post
    What he says doesn’t seem to match what he does.
    What lies has he told us? I must have missed some major doozies.
    Saying you're going to sign a player and failing, is not lying. Saying something will happen within a certain time frame, and not having that thing happen is not necessarily a lie.
    There is a difference between being dishonest and being wrong.

Is the general feeling that he is incompetent? A liar? Or both?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’ve worked with senior leaders before and some are very good at selling their investors / superiors / funding source on projects for a $1, but have a really grand vision for $5. Which is over budget at $6 but who cares cause you’re getting this great shiny thing you really wanted and it’s only another $3 away from completion.

A good manager knows how to argue for more money, at the margin. It won’t turn VWFC into TFC, but it gets you a little extra scratch when you need it. Unless you’re Leiweke, then you just open the safe and have at it.

Ali Curtis on the other hand strikes me as a guy who prides himself on coming in under budget.