Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I went and found the 2019-2020 offseason roster speculation thread

Mertens = Borre

Jozy speculation about attitude = Jozy speculation about him staying

Bradley's injury adjustments = Armas' playing style adjustments

Apart from that, nothing much has really changed, down to the "Delgado has trade value". There's even the annual "Seba?" talk.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel like this thread will have more sadness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just am not sure what there is to be excited about. There have been no new additions and no replacement for Piatti. We have areas of deficiency that (still) haven’t been addressed. The club has made just about zero effort to get anyone hyped on 2021.

Do Curtis and Manning realize the point of a business is having paying customers?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I just am not sure what there is to be excited about. There have been no new additions and no replacement for Piatti. We have areas of deficiency that (still) haven’t been addressed. The club has made just about zero effort to get anyone hyped on 2021.

Do Curtis and Manning realize the point of a business is having paying customers?
    Unfortunately, I think Curtis is used to working for a team that gets pretty much ignored in its own market, and most of Manning’s experience is in a small market. I don’t think either of them have any idea how to move the needle in a big sports market like Toronto or New York. Especially considering the fact that Toronto fans will drop a team that’s not interesting in a heartbeat. I can’t help but wonder if the MLS owners believe it going to become a league where a big part of its income comes from selling players instead of garnishing interest in a difficult soccer market. Between the CBA dealings and the under-22 stuff, it seems like there is a lot of hedging of bets going on.
    Last edited by Kamp Berg; 02-21-2021 at 11:03 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    We have no way of knowing how good (or not) Borre is, and whether any of this is just maneuvering by River to get $$$$. So far looks like a typical Curtis non deal deal.

More interesting to me is our midfield. Marky Delgado has huge value in the league given his skills and the fact that he is a top American. i wouldn't be surprised to see the team send him to California if they can get a mobile CB who can challenge for starting time along with someone else or huge amounts of Garber bucks. And Curtis and Manning do seem to know the talent that is in the league well. I dont know the rosters of the Galaxy and LAFC well enough to judge if this is feasible
    When Delgado and Osorio were running the two-man mid last year, it was the only time we controlled games. Both are adept at hanging onto the ball and moving it ahead, among the best in the league.

Losing Delgado would crush us, on our current roster. Osorio is tricky but he's not as strong a two-way mid and no one else we have seem ideally suited. From his appearances, Ralph Priso could get there, but it's a lot of pressure on a kid.

Does anyone hear anything from inside TFC anymore? Is there any sense they realize how they're beginning to squander fan interest and goodwill by not talking, not announcing anything, not pulling the trigger on a deal?

I'm starting to fear the dude is Mo redux, lots of playing experience and talks a good game to executives but can't make the professional contacts or spot the opportunities.

Keep in mind, Jesse Marsch may have pseudo endorsed Armas in that video, but Curtis left NY because the two of them couldn't work together and the organization wanted Marsch, not Curtis.

Right now, that doesn't look wrong.

Also, how long does Bill Manning get? He seems laissez-faire, a gladhander. We hear occasional statements about diligence from him but there's no real output or effort to promote the team in the city, to develop a sense of momentum and positivity. Where the fuck is the guy?

I struggle, as a former reporter and editor, to understand why organizations like TFC do not realize just how easy it is to spoon-feed the media narratives right now; they have no staff, no time. As long as the story is accurate and reasonably interesting, they'll lap it up. And yet there is no impetus, no daily media blitz.

If I"m running communications for a football club, my staff should be seeding the media daily with options. Personal stories about players, highlights of those who have overcome and contributed, their views on football and sport generally, family features, tactical discussions that are league-centric enough to make interesting stories, social perspectives on the narrowing between MLS and Europe...

There's basically an endless supply of topics with which to frame "TFC", and yet we never see it. There's no attempt to copy even the fairly basic portion of this work that mlssoccer.com's shrinking staff produces.

Hell, even if they just started a strong outreach with local amateur content producers and used the club's muscle to help increase their exposure, we would see benefits.

It all feels familiar, I think, to any of us over 50 who spent years in a big company. There's no direction, the sense of silo'd informational isolation is setting in, there's no impetus.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

its like 4 days into camp,not that it matters why didnt they announce the zava morrow signings on weds,how about a training camp roster god forbid,the marlies do a way better job with pr, im losing interest and im a diehard avid fan.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    When Delgado and Osorio were running the two-man mid last year, it was the only time we controlled games. Both are adept at hanging onto the ball and moving it ahead, among the best in the league.

Losing Delgado would crush us, on our current roster. Osorio is tricky but he's not as strong a two-way mid and no one else we have seem ideally suited. From his appearances, Ralph Priso could get there, but it's a lot of pressure on a kid.

Does anyone hear anything from inside TFC anymore? Is there any sense they realize how they're beginning to squander fan interest and goodwill by not talking, not announcing anything, not pulling the trigger on a deal?

I'm starting to fear the dude is Mo redux, lots of playing experience and talks a good game to executives but can't make the professional contacts or spot the opportunities.

Keep in mind, Jesse Marsch may have pseudo endorsed Armas in that video, but Curtis left NY because the two of them couldn't work together and the organization wanted Marsch, not Curtis.

Also, how long does Bill Manning get? He seems laissez-faire, a gladhander. We hear occasional statements about diligence from him but there's no real output or effort to promote the team in the city, to develop a sense of momentum and positivity. Where the fuck is the guy?

I struggle, as a former reporter and editor, to understand why organizations like TFC do not realize just how easy it is to spoon-feed the media narratives right now; they have no staff, no time. As long as the story is accurate and reasonably interesting, they'll lap it up. And yet there is no impetus, no daily media blitz.

If I"m running communications for a football club, my staff should be seeding the media daily with options. Personal stories about players, highlights of those who have overcome and contributed, their views on football and sport generally, family features, tactical discussions that are league-centric enough to make interesting stories, social perspectives on the narrowing between MLS and Europe...

There's basically an endless supply of topics with which to frame "TFC", and yet we never see it. There's no attempt to copy even the fairly basic portion of this work that mlssoccer.com's shrinking staff produces.

Hell, even if they just started a strong outreach with local amateur content producers and used the club's muscle to help increase their exposure, we would see benefits.

It all feels familiar, I think, to any of us over 50 who spent years in a big company. There's no direction, the sense of silo'd informational isolation is setting in, there's no impetus.
    We are owned by the telephone and cable duopoly. There is nobody who think marketing matters anywhere above them.

Plus the corporate reaction to Leiweke was and is profound. They all like it better under rocks. Better chance of making it to a pension date that way. How many people can actually name the current MLSE CEO without looking it up?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    So I went and found the 2019-2020 offseason roster speculation thread

Mertens = Borre

Jozy speculation about attitude = Jozy speculation about him staying

Bradley's injury adjustments = Armas' playing style adjustments

Apart from that, nothing much has really changed, down to the "Delgado has trade value". There's even the annual "Seba?" talk.
    Mertens buzz was nothing like Borre. Mertens was some random wishing on here. Borre has been reported widely, lots of journals discussing, it was picked up at mlssoccer.com etc
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a very good analysis - although perhaps MLSE itself owns some of the responsibility. Maybe its too easy to promote the Leafs and it institutionally has forgotten what hard work looks like.

Also, totally agree re Marky. I wasn't saying I want him to go - I just would not be surprised if he does given his value in the league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    We are owned by the telephone and cable duopoly. There is nobody who think marketing matters anywhere above them.

Plus the corporate reaction to Leiweke was and is profound. They all like it better under rocks. Better chance of making it to a pension date that way. How many people can actually name the current MLSE CEO without looking it up?
    I swear to God, this shit is why I'm self employed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    This is a very good analysis - although perhaps MLSE itself owns some of the responsibility. Maybe its too easy to promote the Leafs and it institutionally has forgotten what hard work looks like.

Also, totally agree re Marky. I wasn't saying I want him to go - I just would not be surprised if he does given his value in the league.
    Yeah, I mean, I'm sure Vanney would snag him instantly if he got the chance. Delgado and JDS paired in the midfield. Ouch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think delgado is a bit overrated,yes he is good player and a mls starter but he is good for a few blunders every game i world sell him in a heartbeat for about 750k in tam gam,and give priso a chance,ali s head would explode jus thinking about a move like that and it would take 6 mths to push the button.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All TFC's social media seems to be doing is showing videos and pictures of a stadium that the team might get to play a single game at this season that no fans will get a chance to see. That more depresses me over hyping me up for this season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    All TFC's social media seems to be doing is showing videos and pictures of a stadium that the team might get to play a single game at this season that no fans will get a chance to see. That more depresses me over hyping me up for this season.
    the team is training at BMO today,i hope jozy is keeping those hammys warm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the topic of BMO, isn't there supposed to be safe standing for the 2021 season??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sn0re View Post
    On the topic of BMO, isn't there supposed to be safe standing for the 2021 season??
    I think it's safe to assume that has been pushed back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I assume we will return to our usual void of news and rumors this week now that Borré is likely off the table.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think its two fold, the newspapers re-sources are shrinking by the day and the fact is unless you are diehard TFC is pretty much out of sight, out of mind for 99% of those in this city as they will have not played at home with a crowd for over a year by the time they return to BMO Field. There just is no engagement at this point. It's like kicking a dead horse.

If there was a really eager staff writer who wanted to make it their own and run with it then we could potentially see something good coverage that right now it appears that simply is not the case. Lots of people have left the beat in recent years and have not really been replaced to the level we got used to. Kurt left the Sun, John was let go by Sportsnet in one of the Rogers purges, Laura was moved to the Jays. Cathal really has not been involved much since the TL days. The Star for all intents and purposes using the wire now for TFC, the Sun has Buffrey, its just not the same anymore.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

Do you think Masai could be Mr. Air Canada's successor at some point? That would make things interesting again. Friisdahl is the absolutely opposite of what Tim brought to the table. That is what Bell and Rogers exactly wanted after their experience with Lieweke.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know who I hate more, Bell or Roger's. Our internet seems to go down at least once every day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wait we still haven't signed a player?!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Wait we still haven't signed a player?!
    With this FO who knows really? We could have players signed but they don't care to announce it.

We resigned Morrow and Zavaleta and there's been no news and that's simple press release stuff. They don't really care to release info or keep people in the loop on anything. Pretty sure Manning and Curtis figure the window opens March 10th and if you want news, you'll get it then or whenever they feel like giving it out.

Personally I am not worried about signings. I know they'll come but probably not until we relocate to Florida to avoid extra quarantines. Even then there's a reasonable chance a player will be shown training with us for a few weeks before they bother to announce it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Do you think Masai could be Mr. Air Canada's successor at some point? That would make things interesting again. Friisdahl is the absolutely opposite of what Tim brought to the table. That is what Bell and Rogers exactly wanted after their experience with Lieweke.
    I haven’t looked at the exact numbers but my gut feeling would be no, for the simple reason that would require a significant pay cut.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess Borré remains 'interested in Toronto FC'.

https://twitter.com/brunoandrd/statu...715935238?s=20

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    With this FO who knows really? We could have players signed but they don't care to announce it.

We resigned Morrow and Zavaleta and there's been no news and that's simple press release stuff. They don't really care to release info or keep people in the loop on anything. Pretty sure Manning and Curtis figure the window opens March 10th and if you want news, you'll get it then or whenever they feel like giving it out.

Personally I am not worried about signings. I know they'll come but probably not until we relocate to Florida to avoid extra quarantines. Even then there's a reasonable chance a player will be shown training with us for a few weeks before they bother to announce it.
    Zavs can be seen in the pics from BMO training yesterday.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Zavs can be seen in the pics from BMO training yesterday.
    Exactly. Not sure what they're thinking is.

Either it's
    "Trust us, we'll have signings by the end of the window. You will be happy when the season starts"
    or it could be
    "You peons will get the news when we feel like giving it to you. Be thankful we even show you pictures of training. Ingrates".

At this point I am not sure which.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is funny how much the fans in that thread sound just like us.

Of course he is still interested, we are still his most likely destination. Those platitudes he was mouthing to the local press were likely indicative of nothing.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The roster is actually full at 30 players with Zavs and Justin back. There is one spot open because Rocco is on loan in Denmark. Now that is not to say if needed players could be loaned out, waived etc to open some more up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That Journos article on this translated. Tho its obv slanted to the Palmeries angle.
    At the request of Abel Ferreira, Verdão makes a last effort for the Colombian striker, and this time with the support of André Cury
    Palmeiras will make one last effort for Santos Borré. Goal found that the board was happy, despite recognizing the great difficulty to proceed with the hiring, asked for the help of the Brazilian businessman André Cury, who was then "in charge" of making the decisive intermediation of the negotiation with the River Plate striker.

Also in the sights of Toronto FC, of ​​the MLS, and with the possibility of renewing a contract with the Argentine club itself, with whom he has a link only until June this year, the Colombian is Abel Ferreira's main request to reinforce the attack. The Portuguese coach appointed the 26-year-old scorer even before the end of the Copa Libertadores.

To get the better in the dispute for Borré, Palmeiras know that they need to pay a salary above 2 million euros (R $ 13.5 million) per season. This, of course, without mentioning the extra bonus for the eventual signing of the agreement, something that will be discussed from now on by Cury, who has a strong opening in the South American market.

While keeping alive the dream of having River Plate 19 next season, Verdão also keeps an eye on Argentine Valentín Castellanos, from MLS's New York City FC, who is seen internally by the coaching staff as "plan B" for the offensive sector.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Andre Cury, some sort of intermediary, maybe Borre's agent.

Aha. I know that name, here is why..
    https://tribuna.com/en/fcbarcelona/n...rival-in-2013/

He started a new agency, these are the players in Brazil he reps (that I found in the 30 seconds I committed to investigating this, I assume there are more)
    https://www.transfermarkt.us/link-gr...a/berater/8070

I'd have a close look at his Brazilian players. I predict it's a lot more likely that one of them winds up here, than it is that Borre winds up here.
    Last edited by ensco; 02-22-2021 at 11:42 AM.