Page 39 of 71 FirstFirst ... 2935363738394041424349 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,170 of 2112
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In terms of lack of signings / lack of depth / lack of fire power / Seba (and Jozy) not adequately replaced after multiple years:
    Ifunanyachi Achara may be out a few more months, still recovering from knee surgery: https://torontosun.com/sports/toront...t-for-sometime

Ayo apparently has a health issue. Gallardo might be loaned out to get him playing time & more development.

Argh!!!

Note Pozuelo was an excellent replacement for Vazquez, but not for Seba. And yes the totality of developments starting from MLS Cup 2017, to various "transfer soaps" incl. Vazquez / Seba / Jozy / Pozuelo / Gallardo / Terrence Boyd / "amazing winger" yet to be signed / "two weeks" / "off-season to remember" is a fiasco.

EDIT plus the last season showed us that Omar is aging, needs a backup or replacement, and is not suited to a high press. Mavinga needs a backup as he will miss a number of games each season due to injury. LB is unsettled, Morrow is a great guy to keep around but is aging & currently injured. Laryea & Auro on their own aren't enough to cover both RB and LB for a season. They play hard and need some breaks.
    Last edited by Auzzy; 02-23-2021 at 06:15 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    In terms of lack of signings / lack of depth / lack of fire power / Seba (and Jozy) not adequately replaced after multiple years:
    Ifunanyachi Achara may be out a few more months, still recovering from knee surgery: https://torontosun.com/sports/toront...t-for-sometime

Ayo apparently has a health issue. Gallardo might be loaned out to get him playing time & more development.

Argh!!!

Note Pozuelo was an excellent replacement for Vazquez, but not for Seba. And yes the totality of developments starting from MLS Cup 2017, to various "transfer soaps" incl. Vazquez / Seba / Jozy / Pozuelo / Gallardo / Terrence Boyd / "amazing winger" yet to be signed / "two weeks" / "off-season to remember" is a fiasco.

EDIT plus the last season showed us that Omar is aging, needs a backup or replacement, and is not suited to a high press. Mavinga needs a backup as he will miss a number of games each season due to injury. LB is unsettled, Morrow is a great guy to keep around but is aging & currently injured. Laryea & Auro on their own aren't enough to cover both RB and LB for a season. They play hard and need some breaks.
    Sums it up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The best Argie ITK says there is still a chance Borre lands in MLS

https://twitter.com/FelipeCar/status...392744449?s=19

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    The best Argie ITK says there is still a chance Borre lands in MLS

https://twitter.com/FelipeCar/status...392744449?s=19
    Those Palmeiras fans will have a fit if Borré does come to MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Defoe was older and Giovinco was A list to maybe people who follow Serie A closely. I loosely follow it and I didn't know who he was prior to us signing him.

Generally A listers are the names that sell tickets to average folks who loosely follow the sport. Defoe was one I guess but he didn't last a season and started speaking out before fall. Rooney, Lampard, Higuian, Zlatan, etc are the big A listers. Worldwide superstar types. I don't see us getting any as a full time player. Cesar was our brush with the A list.

Giovinco was getting no playing time in Italy...was loaned to Parma where we played major minutes and at the time helped save Parma from relegation but with Juve some Coppa Italia and garbage minutes, he was not a main player..as some one with intimate knowledge of the workings of Parma he was offered a contract and with Juve allowing him to leave for free he turned it down b/c of the value..it was a mid player offer but he was guaranteed playing time....TFC blew the doors off with the offer...he would never get anywhere near that money.... TFC legend but the timing was right and TFC pounced...amazing what he did for us but he is not missed in Italy at all

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People can look fondly on the Bloody Big Deal era but Defoe was a fiasco too and his Mom and him had a lot of negative things to say about Tim L & how he was treated afterwards in UK media.
    That was a joke. He might as well have said there was “no soul food” and “bad cable” . It was on that sort of level.

Compare that to scooping a team’s best player outside of a transfer window when they can’t make a replacement signing....

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Zavs resigned - 1 year + option.

That puts to rest one legend, he's not here just because of nepotism. But still, my first reaction was "Nooooo."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Browsing Borré stuff tonight and it seems that Brazilians really hate Toronto. One wants to 'stick a sword up our state' according to Google Translate. Also this from a guy with 100k twitter followers.

https://twitter.com/Sebasrur/status/...988496898?s=20

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Browsing Borré stuff tonight and it seems that Brazilians really hate Toronto. One wants to 'stick a sword up our state' according to Google Translate. Also this from a guy with 100k twitter followers.

Canada has a terrible rep in Brazil. It’s the one place where you are actually probably better off with a US flag on your backpack.

I am not sure how exactly our problem there started, but this story gave Canada a black eye with Brazilians for years. The Canadian media picked it up and the Chrétien government put immense pressure on the Brazilian government to release the kidnappers. Our stance was seen down there as very patronizing/colonial. (I have no view on the actual facts of the case.)
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kidna...freed-1.186864

Plus Brazilian news generally full of stories of Canadian mining companies behaving badly in remote corners of the country.
    Last edited by ensco; 02-23-2021 at 10:51 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Canada has a terrible rep in Brazil. It’s the one place where you are actually probably better off with a US flag on your backpack.

I am not sure how exactly our problem there started, but this story gave Canada a black eye with Brazilians for years. The Canadian media picked it up and the Chrétien government put immense pressure on the Brazilian government to release the kidnappers. Our stance was seen down there as very patronizing/colonial. (I have no view on the actual facts of the case.)
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kidna...freed-1.186864

Plus Brazilian news generally full of stories of Canadian mining companies behaving badly in remote corners of the country.
    ALL: Brazilians are super sensitive to external critique or appearance of dominance from the outside. So, in this case (a CDN team out bidding Palmeiras for a South American player), is interpreted as yet another imperial display of the power of the "gringos".

I should also say that Brazilian companies do not have exactly good reputations in the Global South, though most Brazilians would rather not talk about it.
    Last edited by Luanda; 02-23-2021 at 11:51 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Minnesota and New York have also supposedly entered the Borré sweepstakes.

https://twitter.com/TyCSports/status...445663235?s=20

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why would they care? He's a Colombian playing in Argentina.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Minnesota and New York have also supposedly entered the Borré sweepstakes.

https://twitter.com/TyCSports/status...445663235?s=20
    Good thing we own his discovery rights, and have very deep pockets! Given discovery rights and their intention to decrease internal upward pressure on salaries, it is unlikely that another MLS team is bidding against TFC for him. This is likely just agent noise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The guys at WTR have an article on our DP situation here.

https://twitter.com/WakingtheRed/sta...087030790?s=20

So, let's pose the question... If you were in charge of TFC, do you go for a proven over 23 year old 3rd DP and only have the one young money slot, or do you get a u-22 DP and open up those additional young money slots?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Why would they care? He's a Colombian playing in Argentina.

Palmeiras are a Brazilian side trying to sign him too. So it's their fans mouthing off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Palmeiras are a Brazilian side trying to sign him too. So it's their fans mouthing off.
    Ah I missed that. Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, let's pose the question... If you were in charge of TFC, do you go for a proven over 23 year old 3rd DP and only have the one young money slot, or do you get a u-22 DP and open up those additional young money slots?
    "I will take proven late 20's European star for $500 Alex."

Also, regarding Brazil, it's basically the tropical version of Russia. Take that for what you will.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    That was a joke. He might as well have said there was “no soul food” and “bad cable” . It was on that sort of level.

Compare that to scooping a team’s best player outside of a transfer window when they can’t make a replacement signing....
    They left that error in the contract to begin with and also that's a dead story everywhere except on this board.

Crouch did an interview with Defoe recently (Defoe was with Rangers during it so at least within the last ccouple years) and he was asked about his time in "America" and he still brought up Tim L. by name and spoke of him lying to him and saying he never even met him other than at the press conference. Also mentioned he was promised to meet Drake and never did. Said we shoved him in an apartment and left him. Then that the league wasn't up to par and neither were our amenities. That interview was on Sky. If I am a foreign player I like a team that goes in to get players they want and are aggressive in the market. Shows me ambition. As a player, I don't want to hear a known (repected?) player say we lied to him, treated him poorly, and are bush league.

Since most of the spots on MLS rosters are filled with players who don't require transfer fees then I would worry more about word of mouth by ex-players than upsetting a team in a farmer's league because they can't write up a proper contract.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ciman retires and joins Montreal's coaching staff. Congrats to him on a fine career.

https://twitter.com/tristandamours/s...727311876?s=20

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ciman retires and joins Montreal's coaching staff. Congrats to him on a fine career.

https://twitter.com/tristandamours/s...727311876?s=20
    Very happy for him and his family. With the needs of his child being back in Montreal as a family is a great thing.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funny how "we need somebody who can score goals" keeps getting lost in all this discussion of "well we could develop people".

Young strikers who can score goals are unusual and hard to find because everybody is looking for them. Get your goal scorers & your playmakers and THEN go after young guys to develop.

That and this DP signing is about 2021-2023 - after Jozy's contract is over in 2022 and he is no longer going to be getting a DP contract.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They left that error in the contract to begin with and also that's a dead story everywhere except on this board.

Crouch did an interview with Defoe recently (Defoe was with Rangers during it so at least within the last ccouple years) and he was asked about his time in "America" and he still brought up Tim L. by name and spoke of him lying to him and saying he never even met him other than at the press conference. Also mentioned he was promised to meet Drake and never did. Said we shoved him in an apartment and left him. Then that the league wasn't up to par and neither were our amenities. That interview was on Sky. If I am a foreign player I like a team that goes in to get players they want and are aggressive in the market. Shows me ambition. As a player, I don't want to hear a known (repected?) player say we lied to him, treated him poorly, and are bush league.

Since most of the spots on MLS rosters are filled with players who don't require transfer fees then I would worry more about word of mouth by ex-players than upsetting a team in a farmer's league because they can't write up a proper contract.
    Oh boohoo you didn't get to meet Drake. This the same guy who put out a personal assistant job posting so someone could go to Tesco for him. Biggest fucking primadonna ever.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Oh boohoo you didn't get to meet Drake. This the same guy who put out a personal assistant job posting so someone could go to Tesco for him. Biggest fucking primadonna ever.
    The fact he still brings it up shows how much of a dick he really is. He was laughing about it like we were clowns too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No way. The interview floats around from time to time on social media. He had nothing bad to say about TFC and the interview was all in good humour. He didn't say anything about Lieweke, it was all about Drake. Said Drake called him up and told him to come to Toronto, we'll go partying, etc. And never saw him once while he was here. Drake is always in America. That was the whole thing. Makes you like him if anything (he had bad words for vegans, which I appreciated).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everyone in England appreciates what a great talent Jermaine Defoe was, but they don't take anything from his personal life seriously. His career was a litany of bitching after the fact, particularly his mother pushing narratives about her son being hard done by.

When he got to Toronto, he as a thirty-one-year old multimillionaire with a family entourage and a press agent. The idea that he was some poor set upon Englishman dumped in an unforgiving city is completely ludicrous. And if the whole 'we met with him and gave him a personalized ipad' story from Lieweke was a lie, it was a hell of a specific, easily disproven one.

Far more likely is that having lived in rarified air in the UK for his entire adult life, Defoe just forgot meeting him, because he saw him as some nobody executive.

I highly doubt Jermaine Defoe cost us anything.

Guys we actually screwed, like Benezet, I can see having some impact. He has contacts in Ligue One, he's still in the league.

Even the Genk thing won't matter to players and agents; it just hurts the relationship with the one club, Genk. Nobody else will remember that next week.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its a 5 minutes interview

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everyone can judge the incredible nastiness of prima donna Jermaine Defoe for yourselves (it's from 1:30-2:15):

Ed: Ha ha, Og beat me to it. See above.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Funny how "we need somebody who can score goals" keeps getting lost in all this discussion of "well we could develop people".

Young strikers who can score goals are unusual and hard to find because everybody is looking for them. Get your goal scorers & your playmakers and THEN go after young guys to develop.

That and this DP signing is about 2021-2023 - after Jozy's contract is over in 2022 and he is no longer going to be getting a DP contract.
    Although we're in enviable position of having one. Peruzza has major potential. He could be a fifteen-goal scorer eventually in MLS. He's accurate, has great positioning sense, is big and strong in the air and has a really quick shot release.

I know it's lower level, but the dude now has 20-odd goals in just over thirty games, between San Antonia and TFC II. He looks the part, too. Ball gets near him in the box and it's going in the net.

We need to bring him in this year, so perhaps that's why there's no great rush on the offensive end.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two weeks ago a new DP was reported as imminent. Another bungled deal? Fax machine issues? Fake news?

Who knows - tune in again in two weeks from now to find out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Although we're in enviable position of having one. Peruzza has major potential. He could be a fifteen-goal scorer eventually in MLS. He's accurate, has great positioning sense, is big and strong in the air and has a really quick shot release.

I know it's lower level, but the dude now has 20-odd goals in just over thirty games, between San Antonia and TFC II. He looks the part, too. Ball gets near him in the box and it's going in the net.

We need to bring him in this year, so perhaps that's why there's no great rush on the offensive end.
    Here's some highlights from Peruzza's first game with San Antonio. Has a good shot and knows how to get in the right position to score goals. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjJPeEARsMA