Page 60 of 71 FirstFirst ... 105056575859606162636470 ... LastLast
Results 1,771 to 1,800 of 2112
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    How do you do a high press with a diamond? dont they just put the ball wide? i would have thought something like a 4-1-4-1 more likely with Oso the "1" and MB and Poz flanked by gallardo and shaff or other younger runners
    Here is a tactics article going in depth into the strengths and weaknesses of pressing with a diamond.

https://thefalsefullback.de/2019/12/...0each%20player.

It is something already being done. I do believe Philly did a lot of pressing the last two years mostly from a 4-4-2 diamond.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Gremio is the most recent team in the Borré sweepstakes.

https://twitter.com/jeremiaswernek/s...570714114?s=20
    I honestly don't think they will really make an offer for Borré. Grêmio is a team that doesn't like to spend a lot of money hiring. Either they hire cheap players, or players near the end of their contracts or, even more, put a lot of hope in their young players. Grêmio has a great youth academy, they are always finding some good young players there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DeLeon with some... takes. Even looking past the anti-vax and anti-lockdown comments (lockdowns have certainly been hard on people in many different ways). Dude doesn't believe in medicine? He's not going to take an Advil for a headache or antibiotics for an infection? What ignorant comments.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sigh. I believe he’s had operations. No anaesthetics I guess?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HR world is going to be fun the next few months with people like this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://torontosun.com/sports/soccer...er-at-covid-19

Here’s the full article. He said that he’s “one of a few” who feel similar to him. Hopefully a people like MB can talk some sense in to him. Refusing to take the vaccine only puts the rest of the team, staff, and their families at risk.

EDIT: I know Beezer and the Sun won’t do this, but there needs to be fact checking done in articles like this. Reciting comments verbatim from non-experts on a topic without any cross points from health officials is dangerous and misleading.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That article is slightly more nuanced then those tweets....but only slightly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How does Deleon think he’s going to travel and cross international borders? I don’t think he’s helping himself stay on anyone’s roster with comments like this. Anyone is free to feel however they want about medicine and vaccines, but you can’t expect to ignore the collective good for your own preferences without consequences.
    Last edited by Kamp Berg; 03-25-2021 at 05:38 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I could see this ending with DeLeon being cut. Being a bench player who is in decline and coming out with some takes that can cause bad PR is not a smart career move.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Borré news: Gremio has offered him 6 million USD. Not sure if that is per year or over multiple years though.

https://twitter.com/eduardogabardo/s...171122692?s=20

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Borré news: Gremio has offered him 6 million USD. Not sure if that is per year or over multiple years though.

https://twitter.com/eduardogabardo/s...171122692?s=20

I saw this... The Porto Alegre team would have put on the table 6 million dollars to sign, while the salary would be 2 million dollars, plus bonuses. The bond would be for three years if the Colombian accepts.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Moderating the discussion here when it crosses the line into amateur epidemiology.

You can discuss effects on the players, but we aren't a board of medical experts discussing the merits. Please stick with the football.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The problem for DeLeon is I was already tired of seeing him block Nelson on the wings. He has scored a few huge goals for us in the playoffs and I will respect that always... buuuuuuut see ya.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did they ever say what happened to Ayo? What was/is the issue?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    I saw this... The Porto Alegre team would have put on the table 6 million dollars to sign, while the salary would be 2 million dollars, plus bonuses. The bond would be for three years if the Colombian accepts.

Slight caution because we've seen in the past when the supposed transfer fee = the salary amount that a lot of media just got confused.

I suspect we would be offering more salary then that though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Moderating the discussion here when it crosses the line into amateur epidemiology.

You can discuss effects on the players, but we aren't a board of medical experts discussing the merits. Please stick with the football.
    I really hope the discussion about the Covid and all things related will be kept to absolute minimum necesarry on these forums.
    Like you said, if it is connected strictly to the club - players and staff.
    Last edited by PizzaEatingYeti; 03-26-2021 at 06:34 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS puts out a video encouraging vaccine usage in order to get fans back in seats

MLSE puts out press info saying "we are working our way back to having fans in stands"

Same week, TFC player does interview where he says he will never get a vaccine.

Regardless of your views on vaccines, one can see how management might not like this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Regardless of your views on vaccines, one can see how management might not like this.

Of course.
    Imagine 2-3 other players coming out with the same point of view like DeLeon.
    What would happen?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    MLS puts out a video encouraging vaccine usage in order to get fans back in seats

MLSE puts out press info saying "we are working our way back to having fans in stands"

Same week, TFC player does interview where he says he will never get a vaccine.

I think he's gone, full stop. It’s a shame, I like him as a player.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaEatingYeti View Post
    I really hope the discussion about the Covid and all things related will be kept to absolute minimum necesarry on these forums.
    Like you said, if it is connected strictly to the club - players and staff.
    It's not that there haven't been some well thought out posts, there have been. However, we need to stay on topic, and off-topic posts will be subject to deletion, no matter how nuanced and thoughtful. Keep to the topic of effects on the roster and save the discussions on the pros and cons of vaccines and lockdowns to Twitter and the like.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My own take on DeLeon is that not only is he not going to continue with TFC, but he's not going to continue in MLS much longer. So zero trade value.

Once vaccines are readily available to players, health and safety protocols will very likely make it mandatory for continued employment in the league. This is different from some jobs where it could be argued that masking & distancing or work from home will be a continued option, there is literally no way to do that in soccer. It's his choice whether to be vaccinated and it's the league's choice whether unvaccinated players will be allowed long-term, my guess is no.

Too bad, I liked him as a player, although he never has been key for our team. There's a lot of options both inside and outside the league to find an equivalent player to fill his role.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 03-26-2021 at 08:25 AM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I think he's gone, full stop. It’s a shame, I like him as a player.
    This is very likely.

Depending on the way things play out and what the rules are for international travel without being vaccinated - he may need to stay in the US.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post

Too bad, I liked him as a player, although he never has been key for our team. There's a lot of options both inside and outside the league to find an equivalent player to fill his role.

This isn't true - he's been pretty key to our success the past 2 seasons. Every Contender has a strong utility guy like DeLeon.

Let's not downplay his game because of his personal beliefs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think he’s a pretty good utility knife for the team. Fills in all sorts of spots. You never know exactly where you’ll need him but it’s handy he can put in a shift when needed.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    This isn't true - he's been pretty key to our success the past 2 seasons. Every Contender has a strong utility guy like DeLeon.
    You might be right there, four four two recently did an article on the dearth of utility players. I was thinking of his more typical wide role, there's plenty of wide players out there!

We've needed utility players from the early days of TFC with Chris Pozniak (remember him?) to today, but haven't always had one.

Here's the article on utility players:

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/us/features/whatever-happened-to-utility-players

Last edited by Oldtimer; 03-26-2021 at 10:28 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm pro-vaccine, but if expressing this kind of viewpoint costs a player his job then I think that's a terrible world we live in.

DeLeon has been incredibly valuable to this team and I would be extremely upset to see him go.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    I'm pro-vaccine, but if expressing this kind of viewpoint costs a player his job then I think that's a terrible world we live in.

DeLeon has been incredibly valuable to this team and I would be extremely upset to see him go.
    I don't think free speech is the issue. It's a workplace safety issue.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bought with blo View Post
    Here is a tactics article going in depth into the strengths and weaknesses of pressing with a diamond.

https://thefalsefullback.de/2019/12/...0each%20player.

It is something already being done. I do believe Philly did a lot of pressing the last two years mostly from a 4-4-2 diamond.
    I’ll read this with interest. Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really like DeLeon as a player and always though he was sensible. Oops to the latter but I don’t think we will see any action until vaccines become mandatory. He hasn’t rocked the boat ever and is the kind of hard worker who could prosper in a high press.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLSE doesn't pay him almost a quarter-million CAN$ a year to exercise his free speech on a position he knows is controversial, in complete contrast to both MLSE and MLS's message, and could impact his availability.

You don't screw your employer over like that and expect not to face some kind of meeting, and presumably a request to retract his comments.