Page 49 of 71 FirstFirst ... 3945464748495051525359 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,470 of 2112
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If he doesn't want MLS they need to move on an make an announcement for their next choice that should be already lined up. Ali better not bottle this.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Some info on our contract offer compared to Palmeiras'. Also says Borré does not want MLS. Sooooo...

https://twitter.com/brunoandrd/statu...293124096?s=20

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    If he doesn't want MLS they need to move on an make an announcement for their next choice that should be already lined up. Ali better not bottle this.

I've never hated on Ali since he's been here. He's never given me a reason to.
    But I agree with you - he better have something else lined up and ready to go if this Borre thing falls through.

I've never been on the Borre hype train. I've never gotten the sense that he wants to be here. Even if he does come here - I feel like he would be looking for reasons to leave for "greener pastures"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hell even if he accepts.. the last time we signed a striker that didn’t want to be here was Defoe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It would be nice if every player wanted to play and win trophies for us but the reality is, We're going to be playing "away" from home the whole season. New players will have a tough time to develop a relationship with the club if they can't even play in a stadium that they can call their own they might not be attracted to the situation.

I don't think we need a player that wants to finish his career here. We need a player to perform up to our needs which is to bang in goals that Poz puts on a platter and has quality.

If Borre does come with the mentality that he needs to perform to get more eyes with the end goal of going back to Europe I think its a win win.
    If he gets a bag of money and thinks the job is done then we're in for a rough few years. Make or break decision time for Ali to stamp his name on this team.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It would be nice if every player wanted to play and win trophies for us but the reality is, We're going to be playing "away" from home the whole season. New players will have a tough time to develop a relationship with the club if they can't even play in a stadium that they can call their own they might not be attracted to the situation.

I don't think we need a player that wants to finish his career here. We need a player to perform up to our needs which is to bang in goals that Poz puts on a platter and has quality.

If Borre does come with the mentality that he needs to perform to get more eyes with the end goal of going back to Europe I think its a win win.
    If he gets a bag of money and thinks the job is done then we're in for a rough few years. Make or break decision time for Ali to stamp his name on this team.
    Pity Martinez. I don't want that situation at TFC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When push comes to shove and we tack an extra couple of years on the current offer and turn 15 over three into 25 over 5, his opinion of MLS is very likely to get a good bit rosier.

Turning down palmieras was an indicator. That is good money in SA. He hasn't come to the realization yet that the Pandemic has killed his European dream. He may get another shot if he comes here and scores for fun, but currently he has one chance to make European money, and that is MLS, and that is us.

With our transfer window not closing until after his contract expires there really is no reason to rush this thing. Looking at the news for this guy, even last window he was getting euro interest. My guess is he holds out to see if we are still the best offer as his contract comes to a close.

As we still have Jozy, our need for him isn't great ATM. We benefit by waiting, since it leaves us less time carrying both contracts. I don't see why fans are in such rush.

Would you rather get the right guy, or whatever it is we can make for right now? I will still point to Pavon not being done yet. That is all but written, and it is still being worked out. These things take time, unless you are a prem team or such, it takes time and work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like Borré as a player. I just don't think we need to treat each report that comes out as the gospal of his thoughts. I trust we have an offer out to him. Given the teams involved I also trust TFC's offer is the highest (it would need to be to have a chance). I also think from a non-biased view of a 25 year old footballer the desire to go to Europe is very strong, and has to be weighed against earning many millions now. Pozuelo didn't leave Europe because he thought we were a top league. He followed the money. It just comes down to whether our offer is too good to refuse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is just how the game is played down there people. None of this should be surprising.

Now that said, if TFC were smart they’d be jockeying a second option right now and telling Borre’s agent the offer could “go away” if he doesn’t put pen on paper soon.

And if we wanted to be really nasty, we could publicly state a lower price than previously reported and feign a low level of interest until he signs elsewhere just to prevent him from negotiating with another MLS club and drive his market price down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PaceyWinger View Post
    I like Borré as a player. I just don't think we need to treat each report that comes out as the gospal of his thoughts. I trust we have an offer out to him. Given the teams involved I also trust TFC's offer is the highest (it would need to be to have a chance). I also think from a non-biased view of a 25 year old footballer the desire to go to Europe is very strong, and has to be weighed against earning many millions now. Pozuelo didn't leave Europe because he thought we were a top league. He followed the money. It just comes down to whether our offer is too good to refuse.
    Poz had his chance in the Premier league and it did not quite work out - he had to accept being a star in a lesser league ie Belgium or MLS. Borre might be the same. Seba could have remained a star on a lesser team in the best league, or an impact sub on the best team - he chose money and stardom in a lesser league over either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    This is just how the game is played down there people. None of this should be surprising.

Now that said, if TFC were smart they’d be jockeying a second option right now and telling Borre’s agent the offer could “go away” if he doesn’t put pen on paper soon.

And if we wanted to be really nasty, we could publicly state a lower price than previously reported and feign a low level of interest until he signs elsewhere just to prevent him from negotiating with another MLS club and drive his market price down.
    Rumours of interest in another player would be enough I think, if we want to play it that way. All very murky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we are a looong way from the conclusion of the Borré saga. I expect this to drag into May or June.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think they should give this guy a take it or leave it in the next 2wks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Curtis and Armas can show Borre a pathway to Europe within a year or two, it would still be a win.

On a slightly off topic note- what are the odds of MLSE buying a Belgium league team to create a middle-man to get around Brexit rules?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post

This is exactly what needs to happen (second paragraph). We're trying to get a top striker from one of the biggest clubs in that continent, it was always going to be a saga. We have to be determined to play that game if we want to win out in the end.

I think we also need to demonstrate that coming here would actually be a better stepping stone to Europe. I think he's probably afraid of becoming another Pity Martinez.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As an aside R$85M is equal to approx $15M USD so $5Million a season, where else is he getting that. We might just be a stalking horse to get Palmeiras to pay closer to that, right now according to the feed they are at $3.5M for 4 years

Edit - if he excels here he is still 28 and has a shot at one more try at europe. Makes way more sense than the Palmeiras offer. TFC should absolutely start showing we have other options
    Last edited by Bushmancan; 03-05-2021 at 02:03 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noimpactinmtl View Post
    If Curtis and Armas can show Borre a pathway to Europe within a year or two, it would still be a win.

On a slightly off topic note- what are the odds of MLSE buying a Belgium league team to create a middle-man to get around Brexit rules?
    there were rumours that MLSE were interested in Leeds years ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here’s a piece from 2009 where TFC was considering purchasing a European team and was rumoured to be interested in Newcastle.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/mlse-england-0/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This gets more interesting when you look at the currency situation. The Brazilian Real is through the floor right now. Personally, regardless of what the contract says,I would much rather be paid in US dollars if I were in his shoes.

Maybe he changes his avatar to laser eyes and demands Bitcoin, lol.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does Griffin Dorsey factor into this team at all in 2021in any real way heading into his third season with the Reds? Will we see him as depth off the bench at least?

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    Here’s a piece from 2009 where TFC was considering purchasing a European team and was rumoured to be interested in Newcastle.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/mlse-england-0/
    Report: MLSE in talks with Leeds United - Sportsnet.ca

leeds and notts forest were also in the running,thats a pipe dream now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Does Griffin Dorsey factor into this team at all in 2021in any real way heading into his third season with the Reds? Will we see him as depth off the bench at least?
    He should be given a chance, there aren’t many fullbacks on the team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    As an aside R$85M is equal to approx $15M USD so $5Million a season, where else is he getting that. We might just be a stalking horse to get Palmeiras to pay closer to that, right now according to the feed they are at $3.5M for 4 years

Edit - if he excels here he is still 28 and has a shot at one more try at europe. Makes way more sense than the Palmeiras offer. TFC should absolutely start showing we have other options
    It is quite humourous that we act like we have any knowledge about what state the negotiation is at. If he is very likely to come regardless of the reporting why should we move on? Your assumption about us being a stalking horse are very likely not outside of the consideration of the FO. If, however, we truly are his most likely landing spot why would we move on?

Palmieras wants to pay him 2.8, last I had heard their offer was 14 for 5. I highly doubt any Brazilian team is going up even to 3.5 per. They may be wanting more years from us. That would be a stumbling block I would understand. Term is always big in these kind of contracts. The player wants the longest term they can get, generally. Also if we get him in June, we could take any transfer we would have to pay and turn it into more years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamp Berg View Post
    He should be given a chance, there aren’t many fullbacks on the team.
    No. He will likely be a two player or a super depth player. He should sit behind DeLeon on the RB depth chart.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bought with blo View Post
    It is quite humourous that we act like we have any knowledge about what state the negotiation is at. If he is very likely to come regardless of the reporting why should we move on? Your assumption about us being a stalking horse are very likely not outside of the consideration of the FO. If, however, we truly are his most likely landing spot why would we move on?

Palmieras wants to pay him 2.8, last I had heard their offer was 14 for 5. I highly doubt any Brazilian team is going up even to 3.5 per. They may be wanting more years from us. That would be a stumbling block I would understand. Term is always big in these kind of contracts. The player wants the longest term they can get, generally. Also if we get him in June, we could take any transfer we would have to pay and turn it into more years.

Read the content of the post, i did not say to move on, I said don't be the desperate person at the dance. TFC have a lot to offer and yes, this year will be trying... I am glad to see that a) we are doing something and b) the South Americans are at least feeding us rumours. God knows we aren't getting it from anywhere else.

But, for all we know of the source... he wants another shot at Europe could be crap and then yes adding term would be valuable. If he does want Europe then giving him the ability to be free and clear at 28 might actually be more attractive....

$15M in 3 years (TFC) is still more money that $14M in 4 years (Palmeiras), the last time i checked. Or maybe it doesn't work that way in Brazil and the world is actually flat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thing is, he's South American. Palmeiras are a continental giant. If Europe doesn't come calling, Palmeiras are likely more attractive from a playing point of view.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perruzza posted a 5+ minute highlight video to his Instagram. After watching I am all aboard the hype train for him.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMBCn4_AsHH/

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Thing is, he's South American. Palmeiras are a continental giant. If Europe doesn't come calling, Palmeiras are likely more attractive from a playing point of view.
    I am with you on that, and i also completely get 5 years 25MM is significant and probably would close him, but i can see the posts in three years why the f—k did we sign him for 5.
    Last edited by Bushmancan; 03-05-2021 at 06:23 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder if the two offers are actually a bit closer once you consider cost of living, tax rates, and endorsements. The cost of living is certainly lower in Brazil, and even with some mechanisms to reduce the tax burden on athletes in Canada our tax rate is likely higher. I don't know if there's a huge line up for big name sponsorship deals in Canada for soccer players. Jozy has been able to get a few, but that's likely because of the USMNT slant. I can't exactly recall Poz being sponsored. Gio had a few small ones from my memory.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Borré is Columbian. Maybe they can do like they did with Andrea Bargnani all those years ago with Primo Pasta and use stereotypes to have him endorse coffee. Or a Pablo Escobar documentary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    Perruzza posted a 5+ minute highlight video to his Instagram. After watching I am all aboard the hype train for him.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMBCn4_AsHH/
    i think he has more potential then ayo,too bad you dont hear a peep from the club about him,maybe he will get bday greeting picture when it is his bday.