Page 40 of 71 FirstFirst ... 3036373839404142434450 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 2112
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Two weeks ago a new DP was reported as imminent. Another bungled deal? Fax machine issues? Fake news?

Who knows - tune in again in two weeks from now to find out.
    KJ is on the vocal minority pod this week. Suspect we may hear something on that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    Here's some highlights from Peruzza's first game with San Antonio. Has a good shot and knows how to get in the right position to score goals. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjJPeEARsMA
    Good call. I think this guy has a lot of potential but only gets a fraction of the hype of our other prospects. He’s not the fastest but he is very skilled. Once he fills out he could become a good target man for TFC.

He’s got that workman like aspect people enjoy too. Could be a real fan favourite.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two weeks ago a new DP was reported as imminent. Another bungled deal? Fax machine issues? Fake news?

Curtis corrected that and said hopefully by the end of the window. So that means probably summer.

He did say some defender signings were coming next week and he did come through on that promise. Zavaleta & Morrow were not the defenders I was expecting or hoping for though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I saw some other Defoe stuff but when looking all I find is him talking about how badly he left West Ham, how badly he was treated at Spurs, etc.

That's his M.O. Fall out with the team and then talk shit although as of a couple years ago he shows some regret apparently while not ruling out returning to MLS.

Defoe also seems to have some regrets about how things turned out in Toronto, where he eventually fell out with MLSE president Tim Leiweke. He suggested he might’ve gone to MLS too early in his career.
    “For me going to another league, a new challenge, a club that had massive changes,” he said, “I knew the manager, Toronto is an amazing city and I looked at it and thought, David Beckham went there, Robbie Keane went there, other players.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Defoe is getting too much stick. It's fine, it worked out for everybody.

He was Ryan Nelsen's guy, that move wasn't well thought through in hindsight.

Drake, whatever, he spent all his energy on the Raps, that's OK too!
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    They left that error in the contract to begin with and also that's a dead story everywhere except on this board.

Crouch did an interview with Defoe recently (Defoe was with Rangers during it so at least within the last ccouple years) and he was asked about his time in "America" and he still brought up Tim L. by name and spoke of him lying to him and saying he never even met him other than at the press conference. Also mentioned he was promised to meet Drake and never did. Said we shoved him in an apartment and left him. Then that the league wasn't up to par and neither were our amenities. That interview was on Sky. If I am a foreign player I like a team that goes in to get players they want and are aggressive in the market. Shows me ambition. As a player, I don't want to hear a known (repected?) player say we lied to him, treated him poorly, and are bush league.

Since most of the spots on MLS rosters are filled with players who don't require transfer fees then I would worry more about word of mouth by ex-players than upsetting a team in a farmer's league because they can't write up a proper contract.
    I wouldn’t call it a dead story at all... it was all over their press.

I appreciate TFC missed some details on with on boarding Defoe but the mentality of the player himself was a bit of a joke. Complaining about Drake and dragging out that lazy, tired narrative of “America + football = garbage” which always plays well in the UK press. Andy Welsh had a try at that too, as have some others. I bucketed Defoe under “English footballer reluctant to move” more than anything.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 02-24-2021 at 12:42 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

two weeks ago a new dp was reported as imminent. Another bungled deal? Fax machine issues? Fake news?

two weeks!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’ll give Curtis a pass for not closing Borre in the primary international window for other leagues. If he’s the player, there’s really not much alternative... it was always going to be this way.

But we’ve got to know if this falls away it leaves us in an odd spot. So the question is... do we consider Borre special enough to leave ourselves vulnerable in the event of a failed deal?

He looks pretty damn good. But I’m only partially sold on him being unique enough to leave us in this position... I guess time will tell.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I’ll give Curtis a pass for not closing Borre in the primary international window for other leagues. If he’s the player, there’s really not much alternative... it was always going to be this way.

But we’ve got to know if this falls away it leaves us in an odd spot. So the question is... do we consider Borre special enough to leave ourselves vulnerable in the event of a failed deal?

He looks pretty damn good. But I’m only partially sold on him being unique enough to leave us in this position... I guess time will tell.
    If we loan out some players and sign some decent CBs, a FB, and maybe another wide player/forward, all below threshold or TAM, then I would be fine with waiting until the end of this window or even summer for Borre or another DP forward. But we need some other players. If we get nothing and just Borre that's no good. I would rather the above and skip the DP or use the young player spots to fill out the rest than just be DP-centric.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ciman back to Montreal as an assistant.

We all know the back story so we can skip the usual unpleasantries. Glad he sorted something that worked so well for his family.
    https://twitter.com/nik_martineau/st...341901313?s=21

Laurent was a stud in the 2019 MLS Playoffs. That is what I will remember him for.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Ciman back to Montreal as an assistant.

We all know the back story so we can skip the usual unpleasantries. Glad he sorted something that worked so well for his family.
    https://twitter.com/nik_martineau/st...341901313?s=21

Laurent was a stud in the 2019 MLS Playoffs. That is what I will remember him for.
    I still wished he had started the final. We probably would have still lost but starting Gonzalez immediately back from recovery was not ideal imo

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RealG-TFC View Post
    I still wished he had started the final. We probably would have still lost but starting Gonzalez immediately back from recovery was not ideal imo
    And Vanney 95% of the time will never start a player coming back from injury. Always uses them off the bench and works them in except that day.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They left that error in the contract to begin with and also that's a dead story everywhere except on this board.

Crouch did an interview with Defoe recently (Defoe was with Rangers during it so at least within the last ccouple years) and he was asked about his time in "America" and he still brought up Tim L. by name and spoke of him lying to him and saying he never even met him other than at the press conference. Also mentioned he was promised to meet Drake and never did. Said we shoved him in an apartment and left him. Then that the league wasn't up to par and neither were our amenities. That interview was on Sky. If I am a foreign player I like a team that goes in to get players they want and are aggressive in the market. Shows me ambition. As a player, I don't want to hear a known (repected?) player say we lied to him, treated him poorly, and are bush league.

Since most of the spots on MLS rosters are filled with players who don't require transfer fees then I would worry more about word of mouth by ex-players than upsetting a team in a farmer's league because they can't write up a proper contract.
    Respected? ha...You are also taking the word of a player who submitted a transfer request less than 24 hours following the Hammers relegation from the PL in 2003, to the Spurs no less (Judas). He didn't meet Drake big whoop, if he was a bloody big dea,l Drake would have wanted to meet him. And he was a multi millionaire, I highly doubt it was a shyte apartment. Violins playing for you Judas, Not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    Respected? ha...You are also taking the word of a player who submitted a transfer request less than 24 hours following the Hammers relegation from the PL in 2003, to the Spurs no less (Judas). He didn't meet Drake big whoop, if he was a bloody big dea,l Drake would have wanted to meet him. And he was a multi millionaire, I highly doubt it was a shyte apartment. Violins playing for you Judas, Not.
    Defoe traded Toronto for Northeast England lol there’s no way the city itself was the problem. Toronto is a world class city if you can’t make it work for you on a 6 million dollar salary it sounds like a personal problem to me.

I think the team kicks itself too much re: overselling Defoe on the city when he was clearly never going to be happy here regardless.
    Last edited by portu; 02-24-2021 at 03:53 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Defoe isn't here anymore people

The bad man has gone away.

We are in a better place now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

boy do we ever need a signing to talk about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we loan out some players and sign some decent CBs, a FB, and maybe another wide player/forward, all below threshold or TAM, then I would be fine with waiting until the end of this window or even summer for Borre or another DP forward. But we need some other players. If we get nothing and just Borre that's no good. I would rather the above and skip the DP or use the young player spots to fill out the rest than just be DP-centric.
    Maybe this is the thing we should be focused on rather than a flashy new forward.

We can function as a team without a striker and tread water waiting for reinforcements. But if our FB or CB situation starts to conjure memories of Warren Creavalle and damien perquis... we’re in trouble.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Maybe this is the thing we should be focused on rather than a flashy new forward.

We can function as a team without a striker and tread water waiting for reinforcements. But if our FB or CB situation starts to conjure memories of Warren Creavalle and damien perquis... we’re in trouble.
    i agree...to me this is more disappointing then the lack of dp,the fact that we dont have a starting LB and CB is ali s biggest failure he cant seem to find that 500k tam starter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey whatever happened to Arjen Robben? (The Borre thing really reminds me of that)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey whatever happened to Arjen Robben? (The Borre thing really reminds me of that)
    went back to play for boyhood club Groningen
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He retired for a year. He is back playing again in Holland.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So Sao Paulo have joined the Borre sweepstakes. Hernan Crespo has taken over as their gaffer and wants him

Also this appears to be the first spot on Argie TV that addresses the TFC interest specifically. Can anyone translate?

https://twitter.com/TNTSportsAR/stat...490900994?s=19

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't translate, but that same guy says that River Plate already has a replacement in mind for Borré in Sebastian Driussi from Zenit. Perhaps Borré has already informed them he is not signing a new contract?

https://twitter.com/TNTSportsAR/stat...243090432?s=20

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    went back to play for boyhood club Groningen
    I am going to make it a mission to restart that rumour.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLSsoccer.com is saying Minnesota are also in for Borre.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

once the rumour gets legs... Then hop on this site and watch the meltdown

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check it out. We are in on Arjen Robben.
    https://m.calciomercato.com/en/news/...n-robben-30384
    Last edited by ensco; 02-24-2021 at 06:41 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am like 95% sure I started the Bruma to TFC rumor. All you need to do is mention TFC in a Gronigan Twitter post about Robben and say something about him coming to Canada.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    The guys at WTR have an article on our DP situation here.

https://twitter.com/WakingtheRed/sta...087030790?s=20

So, let's pose the question... If you were in charge of TFC, do you go for a proven over 23 year old 3rd DP and only have the one young money slot, or do you get a u-22 DP and open up those additional young money slots?
    Borré isn't the issue. Clearly Altidore is. Sign Borré. When you are able to move Altidore, do so, and then sign the young dp you have now had enough time to scout effectively and start adding to and rewarding the young crew that already exists.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PaceyWinger View Post
    Borré isn't the issue. Clearly Altidore is. Sign Borré. When you are able to move Altidore, do so, and then sign the young dp you have now had enough time to scout effectively and start adding to and rewarding the young crew that already exists.
    Agreed. Moving Jozy should be a priority for the club.