A #9...what does that say about jozy?
    Buy out time approaches.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Buy out time approaches.
    Jozy maybe not fitting in was mentioned by Armas and I think by Curtis too.
    Last edited by Kamp Berg; 01-23-2021 at 07:46 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm, if true I like that we were looking at Borre. Can’t wait for some news on who we may get.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Omar Govea rumour:

https://twitter.com/transfersmls/sta...466402310?s=21

I didn’t think we needed another cm/dm.
    Last edited by Kamp Berg; 01-23-2021 at 07:23 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamp Berg View Post
    Omar Govea rumour:

DM is probably the last position we should be looking at. in a 4-2-3-1 we have bradley, osorio, delgado, fraser, priso, okello all who would play DM. Would be a waste of money and if they sign a number 9 Jozy has to go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    DM is probably the last position we should be looking at. in a 4-2-3-1 we have bradley, osorio, delgado, fraser, priso, okello all who would play DM. Would be a waste of money and if they sign a number 9 Jozy has to go.
    Some of these guys may be on the move. Osorio signed on with a new agency in the last 6 months which is normally a precursor to a move. Wouldn’t surprise me if Delgado followed Vanney to LA.

But generally agree. Even is we thin the ranks it’s hard to see why that’s a worthwhile signing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Some of these guys may be on the move. Osorio signed on with a new agency in the last 6 months which is normally a precursor to a move. Wouldn’t surprise me if Delgado followed Vanney to LA.

But generally agree. Even is we thin the ranks it’s hard to see why that’s a worthwhile signing.
    i just dont see conservative curtis making a bunch of these kind of moves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What I find interesting is that there's talks of playing a high line, high press....but we definitely can't play that with Omar in the backline.
    We'll be susceptible for counter attacks, and one ball beating all.

If any position that needs to be addressed first its the CB position.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fraser could be going. Still think the last thing we need is a midfielder though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I guess this guy had a cup of tea with our youth team. Scored his first for West Ham:

https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/...just-happy-its

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Omar Govea rumour:

He has played majority of this season has a AM. A little as a CM

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC1154ever View Post
    He has played majority of this season has a AM. A little as a CM
    Too slow and too small. Hard to say this without sounding like an ass, but who is he replacing (we have players with his profile). What does a player like that bring that’s different. He isn’t the DP, perhaps a TAM type of signing? Depth at number 9 is needed, (even another number DP) someone with a different profile than Jozy to play off of. Btw... i dont think Jozy is leaving unless he wants to leave. The other key one is a sold CB.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    Too slow and too small. Hard to say this without sounding like an ass, but who is he replacing (we have players with his profile). What does a player like that bring that’s different. He isn’t the DP, perhaps a TAM type of signing? Depth at number 9 is needed, (even another number DP) someone with a different profile than Jozy to play off of. Btw... i dont think Jozy is leaving unless he wants to leave. The other key one is a sold CB.
    TFC need to goal scoring winger, 1-2 CBs depending how they feel about Dunn and a LB.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rafael Santos Borre would have been a peak signing. If they buy Jozy out I think I’ll do a dance before thanking him for his service.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    TFC need to goal scoring winger, 1-2 CBs depending how they feel about Dunn and a LB.
    It’s sounding more and more likely that we’re going to see more turnover than that. It’s sounding like some players may feel like it’s time to move on too, not just coaching staff. Could be a turnover year. Just as likely it’s all talk though.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Rafael Santos Borre would have been a peak signing. If they buy Jozy out I think I’ll do a dance before thanking him for his service.
    Borre to me looked like someone who would play off of Jozy, in a two striker attack. Someone Poz would find, maybe in a 4-3-1-2. Jozy holds up the ball and re-distributes. In that scenario your wingers aren’t as critical but makes guys like Osirio, Marky, Priso etc... more valuable

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Borre would have been fantastic. That’s the level of player that would get me excited about our future ambition.

As a side note, what is it with TFC and “almost” signing players from River Plate? It’s like every year there is something rumoured but it never quite happens. We’re stuck in the friend-zone, lol.

It’s sounding more and more likely that we’re going to see more turnover than that. It’s sounding like some players may feel like it’s time to move on too, not just coaching staff. Could be a turnover year. Just as likely it’s all talk though.
    That’s a very good point.

I’m okay with a bit of a changing of the guard. The overall hunger of the 2017 group just isn’t what it used to be IMO.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There should be some change but I doubt its in the midfield where apart from Bradley & Piatti, all are at peak or young. Osorio & Delgado in particular would be good at a press.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder if we might actually move towards a 4-2-2-2? I remember reading somewhere that this was one of if not the most popular formations used by red bull teams. I even remember Marsch trying to get NYRB to play it but ultimately moving back to a 4-2-3-1. If you look at the players we have it looks like it could actually work...

------------Westberg------------
    Laryea-Gonzalez-Mavinga-Auro
    --------Delgado-Bradley--------
    ---------Pozuelo-Osorio---------
    ---------Akinola-Altidore--------

...on a surface level anyway. There are some players there who would really struggle with the pressing system that makes that formation work for other red bull teams. But with a couple changes that could work (replace Altidore with a better version of Endoh, replace Gonzalez with someone younger and more mobile for example)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DavemTFC View Post
    I wonder if we might actually move towards a 4-2-2-2? I remember reading somewhere that this was one of if not the most popular formations used by red bull teams. I even remember Marsch trying to get NYRB to play it but ultimately moving back to a 4-2-3-1. If you look at the players we have it looks like it could actually work...

...on a surface level anyway. There are some players there who would really struggle with the pressing system that makes that formation work for other red bull teams. But with a couple changes that could work (replace Altidore with a better version of Endoh, replace Gonzalez with someone younger and more mobile for example)
    So would this be 4 defenders, 2 CDM, 2 CAM & 2 strikers?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spe18 View Post
    So would this be 4 defenders, 2 CDM, 2 CAM & 2 strikers?
    In the 4-2-2-2 the middle two play what is called in Italian the 3/4 players. Half a winger and half CAM. They provide both width and creativity. I don't feel that either poz or Oso are well suited to that particular role.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    Borre to me looked like someone who would play off of Jozy, in a two striker attack. Someone Poz would find, maybe in a 4-3-1-2. Jozy holds up the ball and re-distributes. In that scenario your wingers aren’t as critical but makes guys like Osirio, Marky, Priso etc... more valuable
    if thats the case he would be a great addition. Jozy needs hope.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DavemTFC View Post

Haven't we essentially been playing a version of that? Our challenge is that Marky Oso The General and Poz all play inside - and one or two of them need to be wide. Greg Vanney found ways to make it dominant through possession, but essentially it is unbalanced. Something needs to give.
    Last edited by MightyDM; 01-24-2021 at 10:56 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Haven't we essentially been playing a version of that? Our challenge is that Marky Oso The General and Poz all play inside - and one or two of them need to be wide. Greg Vanney found ways to make it dominant through possession, but essentially it is unbalanced. Something needs to give.
    Vanney would play a 4-1-2-1-2 or a diamond midfield. A 6 two 8's and a 10. The box midfield essentially uses two sixes, and two tens. The tens fill both the inside creative role and the wide field stretching role. Players need to be half a winger and half a 10.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Manning/Curtis era seems to be known for not getting its first preferred (with the exception of Pozuelo, which was botched but recovered)

Didn't get first choices in DP last year

Didn't get first choice in coach this year (the more I hear, the more I think they put out a "this is what it would look like" document to Vierra, he listened, thought about it and turned them down - Armas was all but signed by DCU by all reports & then pulled out unexpectedly)

Didn't get first choice in DP this year.

Worrying pattern.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    The Manning/Curtis era seems to be known for not getting its first preferred (with the exception of Pozuelo, which was botched but recovered)

Didn't get first choice in coach this year (the more I hear, the more I think they put out a "this is what it would look like" document to Vierra, he listened, thought about it and turned them down - Armas was all but signed by DCU by all reports & then pulled out unexpectedly)

Worrying pattern.
    That's football man. Even Liverpool don't get there first choice sometimes (Werner) but ended up with jota who looks better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

Worrying pattern.
    My take: they are not “deal” people. Too rigid, inflexible, and controlling. They can root through the details and find players others have missed or develop youth players because that is a matter of being consistent. However, if the party on the other side of the table has negotiating power, they are clueless.

300 page plans do not lend themselves to acquiring high-priced talent. Inevitably, when you get into these types of negotiations, you have to do things you weren’t prepared to do at the outset. It will test your ability to be flexible and your confidence in handing over responsibility to another party.

This aspect of the job is closer to managing a movie studio than running an everyday business. And Ali Curtis is the guy who casts Paul Rudd in his $500 million dollar blockbuster because he couldn’t fathom paying for Brad Pitt’s personal masseuse to stand-by on set.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bought with blo View Post
    Vanney would play a 4-1-2-1-2 or a diamond midfield. A 6 two 8's and a 10. The box midfield essentially uses two sixes, and two tens. The tens fill both the inside creative role and the wide field stretching role. Players need to be half a winger and half a 10.
    Tfc played a 4-2-2-2 this year and looked awful. Piatti played beside poz.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol what a great analogy. Perfectly summed up.