Page 25 of 71 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    That doesnt really apply to Borre as the situation is kind of complex.

Atletico Madrid still own 25% of his rights and River cant extend without buying them out. River have sold 2 players for 6M each partly in order to payoff Atletico Madrid so they can re-sign Borre to a new contract. 2.5-3M is the number in the reports from Argentina.

Given he's in the last 6 months of his contract he can sign for free elsewhere. He's desirable to many teams because he's available on a free transfer. Teams interest in him will evaporate if a new deal is done with River and they have to pay a multi million fee for him.

Valencia appear to have the strongest links at the moment.
    Money talks though and although just a rumor the words "Giovinco money" were being thrown around already. He's not getting that from Valencia.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I read that and couldn't help but think "oh gawd, not again"

The rest of your post actually made it sound less complicated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know it was a random rumor, but 4.1 million annually was allegedly what TFC was offering. Borre will have to decide if he wants the money or the move to Europe if he leaves River Plate. He is basically the only name we have seen linked at this point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We got word of Pozuelo from the Belgian press. Piatti from local journos in Barcelona. If there was/is anything to Borre - there should be some smoke in either Colombia or Argentina. There is zero. It's all coming from that Will Forbes fella and Rollins.

Don't get your hopes up.
    Last edited by Areathrasher; 02-12-2021 at 03:51 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This new u-22 category may explain the paralyses.
    BUT, Atlantic was really quick on the trigger!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Buffery blocked me - what's he saying?
    Wow, why the heck did he block you?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Borre rumors to TFC may be true as River Plate are bringing back Falcao to the club.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Wow, why the heck did he block you?
    Lets just say I find it funny when people say they don't like the Sun's political slant and immediately follow up with "sorry sports reporters" as if all their sports guys are a nice bunch of liberals.

I responded to a couple of Buffery's political tweets with critiques & got the block. Fair enough on twitter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's Buffery's full article with quotes from Curtis.

https://torontosun.com/sports/soccer...mpression=true

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting bit about the salary cap staying flat but some (all?) contracts going up - didn't consider that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Atletico Madrid still own 25% of his rights and River cant extend without buying them out. River have sold 2 players for 6M each partly in order to payoff Atletico Madrid so they can re-sign Borre to a new contract. 2.5-3M is the number in the reports from Argentina.

Given he's in the last 6 months of his contract he can sign for free elsewhere. He's desirable to many teams because he's available on a free transfer. Teams interest in him will evaporate if a new deal is done with River and they have to pay a multi million fee for him.

Valencia appear to have the strongest links at the moment.
    Actually in Eustáquio’s case, IIRC his rights sat with Cruz Azul and that’s the whole reason
    Paços de Ferreira bought / extended him just to sell. So very close to a Borre situation.

But I’ll concede that’s much more murky when you’re talking an Argentine club. That’s all sorts of tricky.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Actually in Eustáquio’s case, IIRC his rights sat with Cruz Azul and that’s the whole reason
    Paços de Ferreira bought / extended him just to sell. So very close to a Borre situation.

But I’ll concede that’s much more murky when you’re talking an Argentine club. That’s all sorts of tricky.
    Its not really tho Eustáquio was on loan in Portugal and they had an option to buy. River bought Borre from Atletico years ago for a substantial fee in Argie terms with Atletico retaining a stake as part of the sale.

If River wanted to make a profit on their investment in him then they needed to sell him 12-18 months ago.

If River pay Atletico for the remaining 25% it's to keep a big part of their team to try and win things. River can always raise cash by selling one of their youth production line to Europe/MLS.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

KJ just said on his instagram talk tonight - "Don't think you'll be surprised by the DP" and "Its almost over the line"

That's about as good a "It's Borre" as we are going to get.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting bit about the salary cap staying flat but some (all?) contracts going up - didn't consider that.
    I don’t see how the changes to the cap in the new CBA helps the owners in any way. It doesn’t really save them much money, and it makes it harder to manage the cap if the wages increase anyway.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

KJ again tonight about depth in CB - "I think they are going to announce something soon"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Borré plus a legitimate centre back would make very happy at this point

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah. I think we are going places if we get Borre and a half decent CB with Morrow returning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

his transfer value is up to 16.5 that seems kinda high for him.isnt it?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

KJ again tonight about depth in CB - "I think they are going to announce something soon"
    It will be interesting to see what happens as KJ did mention tonight that the uncertainty of the Reds 2021 season has played a part in the Reds lack of signings. I am not concerned as much about the DP signing as the need for depth. Will such player really want to come here to sit in a hotel down in Florida away from their family when they could go elsewhere? Lots to figure out here.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Playing in Tampa might actually help a little as opposed the Whitecaps who gotta play in SLC. Some nice tax breaks in Florida and the guys who only have girlfriends/wives can easily have them there in the nice weather. Really sucks for the guys who have kids though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Borré to TFC is true, dominos will fall.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd be pleasantly surprised if TFC make that kind of investment. I've been half expecting them to announce that Hoilett will join on a free transfer in June, and given the financial climate, I wouldn't even be mad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd still be quite mad.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This Borre story doesn’t add up to me, unless a complete general collapse in the traditional player markets in happening. Which is not something I am reading.

Are MLSE, Ali Curtis and Chris Armas, and a Canadian team seriously able to go toe to toe with the Sampdoria, Udinese, Valencia, Espanyol, Benfica type clubs where these players always go? Each of those teams I am guessing would have 10 guys making 4M euros a year or more. This size of deal is not a big deal to them.

The only time younger players with real value and options have ever left a River Plate type team to come to MLS was to play for Atlanta, with a promise that they would be showcased for Europe. It was a pretty mixed bag, in terms of outcome. It worked out for Almiron (only sort of, given how he has done at Newcastle) but didn’t at all for Barco and Pity. Nobody coming behind them will look at that and be overly impressed.

Atlanta had numerous key elements TFC doesn’t;
    - a recent ex Barca manager
    - a recent ex Paraguay national team manager
    - an Argentine manager
    - did I mention they had Tata and not Ali Curtis or Chris Armas?
    - a deep pocketed rich owner (corporate ownership is not an asset in this game)
    - being located in a city and country with a sizeable Hispanic population
    - being located in a city connected to South America, with 10x more direct air service from there than all of Canada would have
    - a more attractive climate

Plus, cmon, who is on the ground in Buenos Aires winning deals like this for TFC? That is the most competitive, complex and maybe corrupt player market in the world. You don’t just show up with a chequebook, like we did in Belgium.

Plus, cmon, Toronto isn’t a market where a River Plate player has caché. We would be bidding against others for whom a River Plate player very much has meaning to their fans. (This was an important factor with Pozo, he didn’t have much marketing value to anybody. Made it easier for us to win.)

I don’t buy it. If TFC are spending serious time on this, I would say they are most likely getting played/used as a stalking horse. Manning is a grown up, maybe they are cool with that, and/or just developing the “we are trying bigly” narrative for the restless natives. Maybe the reward for helping an agent get Borre his deal in Europe is that Borre's agent will make something work for TFC for a different player, one that makes more sense. Maybe another Nacho Piatti circa 2014, that's the end of the pool we should be working.

Just my $0.02
    Last edited by ensco; 02-13-2021 at 07:45 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Borré plus a legitimate centre back would make very happy at this point
    Not to sound ungrateful, cause those would both be needed upgrades, but what about our never ending quest for an actual high-quality wide player?

Still feels like something we would want

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Not to sound ungrateful, cause those would both be needed upgrades, but what about our never ending quest for an actual high-quality wide player?

Still feels like something we would want
    Not a necessity anymore if we're transitioning to a press oriented team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Not a necessity anymore if we're transitioning to a press oriented team.
    Forgive my ignorance but wouldn’t we want a fast incisive player out wide in this system? Or in practice does it just turn into a bunch of tsubasa endoh‘s who run around a lot but aren’t that skillful.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with ensco that this sounds really weird.

Still, the phrasing, repeated twice by KJ was, "not a surprise". There is nobody being discussed but Borre.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    This Borre story doesn’t add up to me, unless a complete general collapse in the traditional player markets in happening. Which is not something I am reading.

Are MLSE, Ali Curtis and Chris Armas, and a Canadian team seriously able to go toe to toe with the Sampdoria, Udinese, Valencia, Espanyol, Benfica type clubs where these players always go? Each of those teams I am guessing would have 10 guys making 4M euros a year or more. This size of deal is not a big deal to them.

The only time younger players with real value and options have ever left a River Plate type team to come to MLS was to play for Atlanta, with a promise that they would be showcased for Europe. It was a pretty mixed bag, in terms of outcome. It worked out for Almiron (only sort of, given how he has done at Newcastle) but didn’t at all for Barco and Pity. Nobody coming behind them will look at that and be overly impressed.

Atlanta had numerous key elements TFC doesn’t;
    - a recent ex Barca manager
    - a recent ex Paraguay national team manager
    - an Argentine manager
    - did I mention they had Tata and not Ali Curtis or Chris Armas?
    - a deep pocketed rich owner (corporate ownership is not an asset in this game)
    - being located in a city and country with a sizeable Hispanic population
    - being located in a city connected to South America, with 10x more direct air service from there than all of Canada would have
    - a more attractive climate

Plus, cmon, who is on the ground in Buenos Aires winning deals like this for TFC? That is the most competitive, complex and maybe corrupt player market in the world. You don’t just show up with a chequebook, like we did in Belgium.

Plus, cmon, Toronto isn’t a market where a River Plate player has caché. We would be bidding against others for whom a River Plate player very much has meaning to their fans. (This was an important factor with Pozo, he didn’t have much marketing value to anybody. Made it easier for us to win.)

I don’t buy it. If TFC are spending serious time on this, I would say they are most likely getting played/used as a stalking horse. Manning is a grown up, maybe they are cool with that, and/or just developing the “we are trying bigly” narrative for the restless natives. Maybe the reward for helping an agent get Borre his deal in Europe is that Borre's agent will make something work for TFC for a different player, one that makes more sense. Maybe another Nacho Piatti circa 2014, that's the end of the pool we should be working.

Just my $0.02
    https://www.sportingnews.com/ca/socc...h1cecp7ov472du

Well, Cincy just signed Brenner, supposedly a wonderkid tracked by a lot of European clubs. (and helped by Auro lol)
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm trying to recall....outside of MacAllister and Pellistri, is there anyone else TFC were linked with relatively recently where a deal never materialized?

Maybe it's a previous link?

The Algerian fella?
    Last edited by Areathrasher; 02-13-2021 at 09:20 AM.