Page 26 of 71 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    https://www.sportingnews.com/ca/socc...h1cecp7ov472du

Well, Cincy just signed Brenner, supposedly a wonderkid tracked by a lot of European clubs. (and helped by Auro lol)
    It’s a fair point. Nothing is all black or all white.

But Cinci have a bunch of things that I identified, that Atlanta had, that we don’t:

- Jaap Stam (connected manager that has cred when he says he will help the player move)
    - billionaire owner
    - US vs Canada
    - better weather (somewhat, not saying it’s great in Cinci, although it is more mild, it is more that our weather is a real problem)

btw I think Brazilians make more sense than Argentinians for us, if only because we have a large Portuguese community here that the player can get a bit settled in.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best insider and anaylist we have in Canada and he lost his job sorry still pisses me off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This might be a ridiculous statement, but if Altidore is staying, maybe Lucas Janson is back on the table? Not that he’s done much lately, but Curtis did mention he had backup plans.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    I'm trying to recall....outside of MacAllister and Pellistri, is there anyone else TFC were linked with relatively recently where a deal never materialized?

Maybe it's a previous link?

The Algerian fella?
    Jony Menendez was rumored for a while and didnt happen, then there were rumors of bringing back Janson. Also the CB from ligue 1 hasnt been announced YET.

If I were a betting man the DP will be Hoilet. He isnt in the 18 for Cardiff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Might aswell of just brought back Piatti as a DP if they think Hoilett is a DP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hoillet would be a downgrade from piatti and is no more than a tam player,but it would be someone that ali i cant close a deal curtis would settle for,big club my ass,why cant we ever get that young 20 to 23 year old

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hoilett makes sense to me, as we have tickets to sell, and Tim Leiweke is long gone.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    This Borre story doesn’t add up to me, unless a complete general collapse in the traditional player markets in happening. Which is not something I am reading.

Are MLSE, Ali Curtis and Chris Armas, and a Canadian team seriously able to go toe to toe with the Sampdoria, Udinese, Valencia, Espanyol, Benfica type clubs where these players always go? Each of those teams I am guessing would have 10 guys making 4M euros a year or more. This size of deal is not a big deal to them.
    I can’t talk for the Spanish clubs, but Sampdoria’s average salary in USD is 1.2 million, and Udinese is under a million. I’m pretty sure he’d be the highest paid player on both teams at 4.1.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok so....Borre is now being linked to Palmeiras. A Portugese based journo links TFC to them when reporting of Palmeiras interest
    https://twitter.com/brunoandrd/statu...467705344?s=19

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Based on KJ response on the DP I wonder if we’re just going to settle with Piatti as option c. I just feel like we’re not going to get anything and the safe bet is to over pay for one year and bring him back. Not that I support this but I can see it happening.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it’s quite obvious that Piatti is coming back on a DP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, TFC and Borre are being linked together today. I am praying for Borre and ready to have a bit of a fit if it is Hoilett.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

According to the tweet Palmeiras thought Costa was too expensive at 3.5 million. Gotta think if we we are offering 4.1 million for Borre he is ours.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This Borre story doesn’t add up to me, unless a complete general collapse in the traditional player markets in happening. Which is not something I am reading.

Are MLSE, Ali Curtis and Chris Armas, and a Canadian team seriously able to go toe to toe with the Sampdoria, Udinese, Valencia, Espanyol, Benfica type clubs where these players always go? Each of those teams I am guessing would have 10 guys making 4M euros a year or more. This size of deal is not a big deal to them.

The only time younger players with real value and options have ever left a River Plate type team to come to MLS was to play for Atlanta, with a promise that they would be showcased for Europe. It was a pretty mixed bag, in terms of outcome. It worked out for Almiron (only sort of, given how he has done at Newcastle) but didn’t at all for Barco and Pity. Nobody coming behind them will look at that and be overly impressed.

Atlanta had numerous key elements TFC doesn’t;
    - a recent ex Barca manager
    - a recent ex Paraguay national team manager
    - an Argentine manager
    - did I mention they had Tata and not Ali Curtis or Chris Armas?
    - a deep pocketed rich owner (corporate ownership is not an asset in this game)
    - being located in a city and country with a sizeable Hispanic population
    - being located in a city connected to South America, with 10x more direct air service from there than all of Canada would have
    - a more attractive climate

Plus, cmon, who is on the ground in Buenos Aires winning deals like this for TFC? That is the most competitive, complex and maybe corrupt player market in the world. You don’t just show up with a chequebook, like we did in Belgium.

Plus, cmon, Toronto isn’t a market where a River Plate player has caché. We would be bidding against others for whom a River Plate player very much has meaning to their fans. (This was an important factor with Pozo, he didn’t have much marketing value to anybody. Made it easier for us to win.)

I don’t buy it. If TFC are spending serious time on this, I would say they are most likely getting played/used as a stalking horse. Manning is a grown up, maybe they are cool with that, and/or just developing the “we are trying bigly” narrative for the restless natives. Maybe the reward for helping an agent get Borre his deal in Europe is that Borre's agent will make something work for TFC for a different player, one that makes more sense. Maybe another Nacho Piatti circa 2014, that's the end of the pool we should be working.

Just my $0.02
    No MLS team is flipping players consistently to Europe for big money, and they're doubling down on this nonsense with a new under 22 rule.

I don't have any interest in the way MLS is heading.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    No MLS team is flipping players consistently to Europe for big money, and they're doubling down on this nonsense with a new under 22 rule.

I don't have any interest in the way MLS is heading.
    As much as this 22 initiative is for sales to Europe, it's also to help the cheapo MLS have DPs yet pay minimal. Why else would they count as a max cap hit but only $150-$200K in actual money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I mentioned it on Twitter, but I believe the teams that are gonna have the best success are the ones who are gonna get their u22 players from Africa and Asia. Everyone goes to South America looking for talent. Why not go to Ghana or to Japan and look? These guys want a bridge to Europe just as bad as a random winger from Argentina.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    Based on KJ response on the DP I wonder if we’re just going to settle with Piatti as option c. ...
    Curtis was asked that by Beezer & said it was unlikely. I'd also say that would be a surprise if he came back.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post

Have you seen what Dallas & Philly have done lately?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC1154ever View Post
    I can’t talk for the Spanish clubs, but Sampdoria’s average salary in USD is 1.2 million, and Udinese is under a million. I’m pretty sure he’d be the highest paid player on both teams at 4.1.
    I don't know Italy nearly as well as I know Spain. I assume there are clubs that aren't Juve/Inter/Milan/Roma that would play in this market, but I don't know which ones.

Napoli? Fiorentina? Lazio? You tell me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just saying I wouldn’t be surprised if Seba is the option B or C

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Note on River Plate player caché in Toronto thing: This market is pretty sophisticated imo. Most people who know football and live in the Toronto area, know who Pozuelo is and rate him. Borré wouldn’t get by on name alone, but this market knows about River Plate and it’ll give him a slight buzz coming in. He’ll still need to play well, though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It’s a fair point. Nothing is all black or all white.

But Cinci have a bunch of things that I identified, that Atlanta had, that we don’t:

- Jaap Stam (connected manager that has cred when he says he will help the player move)
    - billionaire owner
    - US vs Canada
    - better weather (somewhat, not saying it’s great in Cinci, although it is more mild, it is more that our weather is a real problem)

btw I think Brazilians make more sense than Argentinians for us, if only because we have a large Portuguese community here that the player can get a bit settled in.
    I get the general cynicism but USA vs Canada is a highly debatable point. Not to mention Toronto vs 90% of US team cities.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Africa would be a very interesting region to go prospecting in, there is a lot of cheap talent there. The Reds would have to build up a network there, likely working with a select number of talent scouts and agents etc, but it would be fruitful. Adrian Bradbury has been running Football for Good for years including Gulu FC program in Eastern Africa and now has co-founded Ascent Soccer. It one example how you could build things up to identify players and I am not talking about how Mo pulled two random kids out of Gambia back in the day, likely doing some agent a favour, who knows.

https://ascentsoccer.org

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by djking2 View Post
    I get the general cynicism but USA vs Canada is a highly debatable point. Not to mention Toronto vs 90% of US team cities.
    Not really. People in places like Argentina kind of have a pretty good mental idea of what "America" is. Mostly from Hollywood and TV.

They don't really have any idea what Toronto, Canada or Cincinnati is. Except they know Canada has igloos somewhere.
    Last edited by ensco; 02-13-2021 at 01:26 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    As much as this 22 initiative is for sales to Europe, it's also to help the cheapo MLS have DPs yet pay minimal. Why else would they count as a max cap hit but only $150-$200K in actual money.
    Quite sure it is the other way around. Max player salary with a cap hit of 200k

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know Italy nearly as well as I know Spain. I assume there are clubs that aren't Juve/Inter/Milan/Roma that would play in this market, but I don't know which ones.

Napoli? Fiorentina? Lazio? You tell me.
    Those teams averages are higher yes, but all still below 4 million. I’m a Lazio fan, so I can tell you, there is zero percent chance they would pay him 4 million dollars a year in salary for him.

I could see him making anywhere from 1-1.5 euros if he were to sign with Lazio (even though they have no need for strikers atm).

Spain? I have no clue, but I expect Valencia to have a bigger payroll than Lazio, but I still don’t think they would pay Borre 4 million USD a year. Max I see him making is just over 2 million euros at club like that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Interesting. I think you are right about Spanish salaries but I know the Valencia/ Sevilla/Villarreal type teams regularly do pay 5-10M transfer fees for these types of players. That's how I get to 4M (if Borre really can be had on a free, he would get “excess” salary because of that). Although it does seem that, the last couple of years, what is happening is that the bigger clubs pay more than 10M for high potential South Americans, but more for someone who is seasoned via, say, Watford or Sporting. Like this guy
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perv...i%C3%B1%C3%A1n

Caveat. It is a corrupt market and it is always notoriously difficult to calculate transfer fees out of Argentina
    Last edited by ensco; 02-13-2021 at 03:07 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn’t hate this but it’s basically a like-for-like swap with Piatti.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hoilett as a TAM player is fine. As a DP just shows a complete lack of ambition.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hoilett as TAM and Borré as DP would be nice.