Page 18 of 71 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Apart from Seba, who are we talking about here for them letting a contract run down?
    Isnt it a pattern? MB for another, in addition to Seba, Oso, Marky and VV, I think. They seem to have a north american mindset to negotiate at the end of the contract whereas the European one seems to be that you negotiate before one year is remaining. to some extent this is a league habit, likely of necessity, and I was mostly kidding. But it does seem to be what they do unless it is a player who has really succeeded like Richie Laryea

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We still really need a LB.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    We still really need a LB.
    And CB’s!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It seems like a lot of teams are loaning out players right now. Looks like a lockout is coming to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i doubt it ..players are not going to give up 100% of there salary

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I view these loans as teams knowing that they won't be withoout them for long. The season probably starts in late April/May and I heard Dike's loan has a recall option. So while the loan goes until June 30, they can recall him at any point. Barnsley's last game is May 8. They can recall him on the 9th. He only misses a mls couple games, gets Euro experience, OC maybe gets a loan fee. Seems like a perfect situation

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Isnt it a pattern? MB for another, in addition to Seba, Oso, Marky and VV, I think. They seem to have a north american mindset to negotiate at the end of the contract whereas the European one seems to be that you negotiate before one year is remaining. to some extent this is a league habit, likely of necessity, and I was mostly kidding. But it does seem to be what they do unless it is a player who has really succeeded like Richie Laryea
    Only thing I would change is that actually everything happens in Europe 18 months before the contract ends.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Only thing I would change is that actually everything happens in Europe 18 months before the contract ends.
    Fair enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Luanda View Post
    Why?
    I meant that 18 months is when players negotiate new deals or move. Not 12 months. That's the way it is. Reason is that there needs to be enough time left on the deal for there to be transfer value is the player is to be sold.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I meant that 18 months is when players negotiate new deals or move. Not 12 months. That's the way it is. Reason is that there needs to be enough time left on the deal for there to be transfer value is the player is to be sold.
    Seems arbitrary to me. And like any tradition, it is invented and likely to be re-invented at some later point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems arbitrary to me. And like any tradition, it is invented and likely to be re-invented at some later point.
    Perhaps, but it is how European clubs behave and what agents expect there. If you want a player, you sort it out 18 months ahead. If you don’t the message is “you aren’t wanted”. Judging by a number of contracts, it isn’t how Manning and Curtis proceed, which carries risk like scrambling to replace Seba and resigning Jozy under pressure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So maybe it is time to re-invent the tradition. Today life happens at blightening speed!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But, more importantly, the Euro market is now closed to us.
    Where will re-inforcements come from? Central/southern America?
    Not a particular impressive post (off) season!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But, more importantly, the Euro market is now closed to us.
    Where will re-inforcements come from? Central/southern America?
    Not a particular impressive post (off) season!
    In what way do you mean though; players coming into MLS, or transferring to Europe?

Because if you mean players transferring from Europe (or any league for that matter) to MLS, then MLS's transfer window (to bring players in) doesn't even open until February 10th!

https://www.espn.com/soccer/english-...-close-in-2021

One thing to also remember is that it's also usually easier to bring players here in the summer once the European season has ended, so that would be our secondary transfer window (I can't find dates for this yet).
    Last edited by spe18; 02-01-2021 at 11:43 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's not arbitrary. transfer fee value for a player falls rapidly with less than 12 months left in contract. So a club will do their best to sell a player with 12 months left on contract during that transfer window.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So maybe it is time to re-invent the tradition. Today life happens at blightening speed!
    Toronto FC is a minnow in the world of footy. TFC isn't going to be re-inventing any traditions, at least not if they want a chance to get or keep a decent player from one of the big leagues.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re-upping a contract to secure a possible transfer fee isn't super simple in MLS because of how the money gets re-allocated and the salary constraints.

IIRC the way transfer cash is converted to the salary budget is directly related to existing investment in the player. So, the potential salary benefit from a 2 million dollar transfer off a guy making 100k is way better than what you'd get off a guy making 500k. With European interest on an expiring contract I can't imagine Ayo would take less than TAM money on decent term. If we attempted to re-up him we'd be compensating him more for the impediment that a new contract would pose to his desire to play in Europe than his actual output or ability. You'd also be betting significant funds on a player that you're not really sure is going to produce similarly to the year prior. If he signed a three year ~500k deal and then got injured (which he has a history of) or interest fell off you'd be saddled with a massive a contract.
    Last edited by portu; 02-02-2021 at 07:12 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We didn't sign Poz during the Belgium window - admittedly a bit of a messed up thing but still something to remember.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    We didn't sign Poz during the Belgium window - admittedly a bit of a messed up thing but still something to remember.
    True, it also makes it easier to sign out of contract or suddenly peripheral players to regular or TAM style contracts. This board is obsessed with DPs but it's what you can get from the under max budget spots that set the tone. Hoping to see a CB rolling in like this before the season starts.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    True, it also makes it easier to sign out of contract or suddenly peripheral players to regular or TAM style contracts. This board is obsessed with DPs but it's what you can get from the under max budget spots that set the tone. Hoping to see a CB rolling in like this before the season starts.
    I've said this so many times, Leadership quality CB's are the hardest players to find. It's not as easy as just signing one. Just look at the elite level of football and you'll see how few exist even at that level.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    I've said this so many times, Leadership quality CB's are the hardest players to find. It's not as easy as just signing one. Just look at the elite level of football and you'll see how few exist even at that level.
    Without Drew Moor, TFC doesn't win MLS Cup 2017

I've long advocated signing a DP CB. One who can organize a defence.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because if you mean players transferring from Europe (or any league for that matter) to MLS, then MLS's transfer window (to bring players in) doesn't even open until February 10th!

https://www.espn.com/soccer/english-...-close-in-2021

One thing to also remember is that it's also usually easier to bring players here in the summer once the European season has ended, so that would be our secondary transfer window (I can't find dates for this yet).[/QUOTE]

I was referring to the BLAH BLAH BLAH that was supposedly going to move Jozy, Ayo (and others) so Europe, thereby freeing up $$$ to bring in new (better?) players. Players from South America are not as cheap as own thinks: ex., Borre.

As for the re-invention of the footy world, maybe not TFC (unless Lieweke comes back), but MLS is a good possibility.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Without Drew Moor, TFC doesn't win MLS Cup 2017

I've long advocated signing a DP CB. One who can organize a defence.
    Yup - We were shit in 2018 with Moor out.

We made the MLS Cup final in 2019 with an epic run that started in June/July - right after we got Omar.

The importance of a CB leader is so underrated.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We made the MLS Cup final in 2019 with an epic run that started in June/July - right after we got Omar.

There are older CBs on the world market who could help us for sure. Just not sure where we have any in roads anymore. Before I would guess we would use Vanney's France contacts to comb L1 & L2 for any 30-ish CBs who lost their starting spots but still want minutes somewhere. Not sure Manning and Ali have any non-MLS connections.

Would never happen but let Jozy have a NYRB reunion for Long.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could be some players available in France soon. Anyone know anything about the tv rights trouble with the French leagues?

https://twitter.com/pkedit/status/13...963897344?s=21

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed. It took Virgil to finally get Liverpool over the hump. Lots of examples of this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    There are older CBs on the world market who could help us for sure. Just not sure where we have any in roads anymore. Before I would guess we would use Vanney's France contacts to comb L1 & L2 for any 30-ish CBs who lost their starting spots but still want minutes somewhere. Not sure Manning and Ali have any non-MLS connections.

Would never happen but let Jozy have a NYRB reunion for Long.
    It is funny that everything French that we have done is assumed to be because of vanney.
    What if its not vanney simply a result of analytics or similarity in level of play?
    Availability of players?

Any number of things could cause this.

The willingness of people here to assign anything good this club has done to everyone who is no longer here, while assuming that those who are here suck is mind boggling.

Every trade at TFC is the result of many hours of labour from multiple people in many departments of both TFC and MLSE. This team had better not be reliant on a single person for anything to do with player acquisition. That is the way that leads to crap signings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

crickets from management since the big armas signing,tfc are among the worst in the league for content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bought with blo View Post
    It is funny that everything French that we have done is assumed to be because of vanney.
    What if its not vanney simply a result of analytics or similarity in level of play?
    Availability of players?

Any number of things could cause this.

The willingness of people here to assign anything good this club has done to everyone who is no longer here, while assuming that those who are here suck is mind boggling.

Every trade at TFC is the result of many hours of labour from multiple people in many departments of both TFC and MLSE. This team had better not be reliant on a single person for anything to do with player acquisition. That is the way that leads to crap signings.
    actually curtis has connections with the french league because he is buddy buddy with a french agent who he worked with at mls FO