Page 6 of 71 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bought with blo View Post
    What lies has he told us? I must have missed some major doozies.
    Saying you're going to sign a player and failing, is not lying. Saying something will happen within a certain time frame, and not having that thing happen is not necessarily a lie.
    There is a difference between being dishonest and being wrong.

Is the general feeling that he is incompetent? A liar? Or both?
    Neither. Over promises as you point out, which leads to skepticism about his competence. if he can deliver a strong pipeline from the academy, i am all in favour. But jury is out on that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Neither. Over promises as you point out, which leads to skepticism about his competence. if he can deliver a strong pipeline from the academy, i am all in favour. But jury is out on that.
    I agree, hard to have much confidence in someone who talks a lot but doesn’t seem to produce much. Doesn’t mean he’s a liar or horrible, just hard to believe him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Once Leiweke left MLSE, TFC has slowly reverted back to the old teachers pension fund days. No excitement whatsoever with this club anymore.

I guess we will be dinning on that roof, pitch, and cup win he gave us for the next 10 years
    Last edited by Richard; 01-05-2021 at 03:50 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Marky has been posting some Instagram stories recently discussing/showing his recovery. I think his injury at the end of the season was a lot more serious than we/I thought it was.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Once Leiweke left MLSE, TFC has slowly reverted back to the old teachers pension fund days. No excitement whatsoever with this club anymore.

I guess we will be dinning on that roof, pitch, and cup win he gave us for the next 10 years
    We have the reigning MLS MVP on our team, one of the highest paid Canadians in the world, convinced our team captain to drop from a DP to a TAM slot, and beginning to integrate some up and coming young players with great ceilings (Akinola, Nelson, Rutty, Priso). It's fair to say we aren't at the same level as our Leiweke days, but the sky is falling rhetoric is overkill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    Marky has been posting some Instagram stories recently discussing/showing his recovery. I think his injury at the end of the season was a lot more serious than we/I thought it was.
    Well the good news is Vanney is taking our strength and conditioning coach with him to LA.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Well the good news is Vanney is taking our strength and conditioning coach with him to LA.
    Tom Williams has left TFC?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Tom Williams has left TFC?
    maybe the sports science guy Listen,he is close to Vanney

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RT @KristianRDyer: While it is true that #TFC spoke with Patrick Vieira, I'm being told right now that he is not a candidate for the open p…

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has anybody heard ANYTHING about coaches leaving with Vanney? I woulda thought Dan Calichman would go with Vanney. BTW, the TFC website doesn't seem to have updated coaches bios since 2015.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dan Calichman and Jim Liston (director of sport science) are both joining LAG. https://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/mls...oach-1.5862320

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RT @KevLaramee: I can confirm that a contract offer has been sent to Patrick Vieira by #TFClive for the vacant TFC manager position.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    Dan Calichman and Jim Liston (director of sport science) are both joining LAG. https://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/mls...oach-1.5862320
    Although that would make sense, and may still happen, that's not actually what the CBC article says. It just mentions there are connections, but I don't believe there's any confirmation of the other moves yet. Unless one of you have heard from other sources:

The Galaxy said Vanney's coaching staff will be announced at a later date. It's likely they will include some familiar faces for Toronto fans.

TFC assistant coach Dan Calichman is a former Galaxy captain while Jim Liston, Toronto's director of sport science, served as L.A.'s strength and conditioning coach.

Vanney played at UCLA with Nick Theslof, another TFC assistant coach. The two also worked together at Chivas USA where Vanney was an assistant coach and technical director of the youth academy prior to joining Toronto in 2013 as academy director and assistant GM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This should probably all go in the "Vanney steps down" thread, but anyway...

This is gold, from TFC's media guy:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Although that would make sense, and may still happen, that's not actually what the CBC article says. It just mentions there are connections, but I don't believe there's any confirmation of the other moves yet. Unless one of you have heard from other sources:
    Confirmed in an LA times article.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/socce...ach-rebuilding

Vanney, who said Monday was his first day in his new office at Dignity Health Sports Park, isn’t coming back alone. Dan Calichman — who played beside Fraser and Vanney on that first Galaxy back line, then spent parts of seven seasons as an assistant in Toronto — will join the staff in Carson, as will Jim Liston, Toronto’s director of sports science and a former strength and conditioning coach with the Galaxy and Chivas USA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@KristianJack
    Sources: Patrick Vieira is not under consideration to be Toronto FC head coach. Contrary to other reports the Frenchman has not been offered a contract to coach the club. The club have narrowed their search to a shortlist & will be looking to offer a contract soon. #TFCLive

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    OK thanks for confirming.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wouldn’t be surprised if Viera was offered and rejected it and now they’re covering their asses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Wouldn’t be surprised if Viera was offered and rejected it and now they’re covering their asses.
    I have a feeling this is what happened too. Either that or Rollins/Laramee were just wrong

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Seems to be some suggestion that might be the case as both “ Vieira offer out” sources are suggesting he may not have accepted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bought with blo View Post
    Why is the GM responsible for spending levels?
    Isn't the owners job to set the budget?
    The GM simply executes their vision as best as they can within the budget.
    What has Ali done or not done in his time with Toronto to earn the level of scorn heaped upon him here?
    Especially since this attitude shows up most strongly here on this forum. In other media and on other TFC sites Ali seems to have a better reputation.
    Just curious what fuels the haters hate.
    I've been thinking about this a lot over the last few weeks, and most of this is really just based off my view on the outside looking in on the TFC FO so take it with a handful of salt. Personally, I think it all comes back to Ali coming across as REALLY unlikeable to anyone who's watched/listened to him speak, at least for me.

There's an all for one episode from I think 2019 on him that looks at his life and career leading up to the TFC hire and Curtis spends the whole time talking as if it were a job interview. I know he's got extensive corporate experience, but even then I don't think I've heard anyone in speak in such a...corporate-y (?) way as him. Hell it's been a while since I was in any office setting now and I've never worked in the areas Curtis has worked in but it's always seemed to me the top businessmen know how to speak business without sounding corporate, and I never ever get that from Ali. And to be clear I only bring the all for one episode up because it made me realize he ALWAYS sounds that way and it points to why I think so many of us on the outside have a hard time trusting him - he just comes across as completely inauthentic.

And the inauthenticity makes it tough to imagine him negotiating with Genk/Vanney/whoever else (not to mention dealing with Marsch) and is compounded when he says "2 weeks" and nothing happens for months, though the 2 weeks thing is definitely not something known as well overall as it is on this board.

It's also not just our fans who don't like him. The Petke firing and the townhall Curtis hosted that followed was such an extensive and fiery shitshow that NYRB fans never seemed to forgive him despite hindsight showing that this was clearly the right move. It feels like a no-brainer now, but at the time Marsch was three years removed from his only coaching experience (a year with an Impact team that made the playoffs after he left) and Petke was (still is) a fan favourite. But I don't think Petke (or virtually anyone in MLS) would have had a chance at the shield with that first post-Henry-era team, so obviously he made the right move. It's also worth noting that a lot of the success of that 2015 team came from signing new players (Kljestan, Kemar Lawrence, Mike Grella) that became the backbone of the team for the next half decade (unsure how many of those signings were Curtis or the RB scouting network but still). And people blaming him for NYRB getting cheaper is ridiculous - they were always going to get cheaper. NYRB in 2015 had just lost one of if not the most celebrated player in the league's history and were now fighting an expansion Man City owned team for the NYC market. It shouldn't be surprising New Jersey has since gone in on building from the academy and young signings and selling them for profit - which is the exact model the other Red Bull owned teams use, albeit a larger scale - versus buying big names like they used to do and like City were now doing. I think it's understood Red Bull hired Curtis because they thought he'd fit their new identity moving forward but they're clearly the ones who spearheaded that identity change, not Curtis.

I'm getting off topic now but my point is I get the feeling Curtis, though the jury is still out on him, is far more competent than he's spoken of here. NYRB were successful with Curtis at the helm, and at least some of that had to have been thanks to him specifically. I think a lot of the criticism of him stems less from what he's done as much as from how he's done it. And I also think people are most worried about his communication skills, which are especially important with big signings, but that's probably come with criticism of other areas which aren't necessarily fair to him.

Moving forward I'm still interested to see if he can improve how TFC's young players are integrated into and developed within the first team based off of how well academy and NYRB2 players have fared in the last half decade.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The young DP thing is still slated to start this season per the athletic

"The terms of the deal would also keep in place plans for an under-22 player initiative set to begin in the 2021 season, the source said. That new discretionary spending category would allow teams to sign up to three players under the age of 22 with no limitations on acquisition costs, as long as the player’s salary is less than the maximum budget charge, which is set to be $612,500 in 2021. The under-22 initiative player signings would then be counted at a reduced budget charge similar to young designated players."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With the U22 thing news, here is Toronto FC being linked to 20 year old Dominik Yankov.

https://twitter.com/futbolbulgaro/st...610130947?s=20

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    With the U22 thing news, here is Toronto FC being linked to 20 year old Dominik Yankov.

young canadian winger/AM.probs a tam player,i dont get it,we seem to have a lot of guys like him already

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    young canadian winger/AM.probs a tam player,i dont get it,we seem to have a lot of guys like him already
    But not many as good probably. I would figure at worst he is an upgrade on Gallardo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't imagine this rumour to be real at this time. He signed a new deal in the fall, is like the youngest starting player at Ludogorets and they rate him quite high.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ya I see this as a bit of a stretch. He’s highly rated and would seem to have plenty of opportunities in Europe.

Fully capped by Bulgaria too btw

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post

Translation - Toronto FC🇨🇦 would be interested in midfielder Dominik Yankov🇧🇬. Let us remember that Dominik was born in Toronto and has Canadian nationality. In addition, the Canadian federation tried to get him to accept the offer to play for the Canadian team.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    Translation - Toronto FC would be interested in midfielder Dominik Yankov. Let us remember that Dominik was born in Toronto and has Canadian nationality. In addition, the Canadian federation tried to get him to accept the offer to play for the Canadian team.
    I believe both TFC II and former Red Chris Pozniak and Marco Reda both coached at Power Soccer, the Academy where Dominik played before moving overseas.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Report: Toronto FC linked with French defender Loïck Landre

https://www.wakingthered.com/2021/1/...r-loick-landre