Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The best save in TFC history?

Let's give it up for Alex Bono.

He made, in terms of game situation and degree of difficulty, maybe the best save in TFC history.

Others on the list that I remember:

• Westberg's PK stop in Atlanta in 2019.
    • Bono's stop in the 2017 playoffs on BWP that saved the game/tie against NYRB

I just think Bono's save last night stands out, he had no business stopping that. It was drilled at close range through the defender's legs.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Let's give it up for Alex Bono.

He made, in terms of game situation and degree of difficulty, maybe the best save in TFC history.

Others on the list that I remember:

• Westberg's PK stop in Atlanta in 2019.
    • Bono's stop in the 2017 playoffs on BWP that saved the game/tie against NYRB

I just think Bono's save last night stands out, he had no business stopping that. It was drilled at close range through the defender's legs.
    I would add Bono's stop against Cyle Larin in 2018(?) when he had to stumble back towards the Goal Line and JUST stopped it.
    It's personally my favourite outside of BIG GAME stops simply for the 'Holy S***!' manner in which it happened.
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great thread, Ensco. Need to think now.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This pair comes to mind

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bono's save.

Because if he hadn't been able to stop it, that ball would have gone into the net, and TFC, more than likely, would have lost that series and would have been denied an MLS Cup/treble, and the title The Greatest Team in MLS History™ would not have happened.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would have gone with Bono's save on Peralta at the Azteca a couple years ago. Followed by the Westberg pen save and the Bono BWP save. Can't remember many big stops from earlier TFC days other than maybe Kocic on Robbie Keane in the CCL in 2012

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alex Bono in the away leg against America is the best performance that comes to mind

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was a huge save last night by Bono for sure. But I was going to say those saves by Westberg in the DC match mentioned above were very big, as someone said without those we wouldn't have moved on to the finals in 2019

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I completely forgot about the Bono and then Bono & Bradley saves point blank on Decision Day 2017. Preserved the tie and the league record of 69 points.

Last edited by Bushmancan; 04-15-2021 at 04:46 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I saw the title of this thread there was only one save that came to mind.....

Stefan Frei MLS cup final against us.

I can still see it in slow motion as he reaches back and pulls it out of the net. Sorry for the PTSD showing 8-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igBB...ttleSoundersFC
    Toronto 'til I die although still a Leeds fan at heart...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^This is triggering PTSD. Is there a way to delete someone else's post, no matter how well intentioned? ;-)
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toronto 'til I die although still a Leeds fan at heart...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cas87 View Post
    I would add Bono's stop against Cyle Larin in 2018(?) when he had to stumble back towards the Goal Line and JUST stopped it.
    It's personally my favourite outside of BIG GAME stops simply for the 'Holy S***!' manner in which it happened.
    For those wondering

I would call this a great save but not a team defining one

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DavemTFC View Post
    I would have gone with Bono's save on Peralta at the Azteca a couple years ago. Followed by the Westberg pen save and the Bono BWP save. Can't remember many big stops from earlier TFC days other than maybe Kocic on Robbie Keane in the CCL in 2012

Yeah this definitely should be on the list. Maybe the best technical save of them all. Only thing stopping it from going top of the list is that we were leading the tie 4-1 at the time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best hands down from Bono was in CCL in Mexico

It was going top corner made a ridiculously good save, others who don't rate MLS mentioned how great it was.

I believe it was in the semi finals before losing in the finals.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Westberg has had a number of great saves, including a double save that I vaguely remember. One problem, those weren't usually season-defining plays like many mentioned above. Plus my memory has turned to mush over the last few years so I just can't remember details anymore, like I could in the early TFC years. Argh!!!

There was one amazing save, can't even remember if it was Frei or maybe Kocic for us: our keeper goes down to make a save on a attacker coming in close, but then our keeper miraculously sticks up a hand to stop the chip that the attacker was trying to put over him. I even posted it on Facebook back in the day, but I'm not finding it anymore...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's funny "The Best Ever" in any sport rarely considers non championship moments or moments from the early years of any club - usually a moment fresh in their minds

There were games in the first few years when the goalies "HAD" to make about six of those a game! LOL
    Loyal - Win, lose or draw!

Weston, Ontario

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FootBallAZ View Post
    Best hands down from Bono was in CCL in Mexico

It was going top corner made a ridiculously good save, others who don't rate MLS mentioned how great it was.

I believe it was in the semi finals before losing in the finals.
    This is the one you mean I think. I remember it too, took a while to find. Top 5 for sure, and if it wasn’t for the score being 4-1, it would be right at the top of the list.

What makes last night's special is the situation. There was no coming back if Leon score there.