Page 2 of 71 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Just hoping the new manager insists that MLSE bite the bullet and cut our $6.5M anchor loose so we don't have to worry about such things anymore.
    I just don't see that happening. Manning would have to approach the MLSE board and basically admit that he screwed up in giving out that contract. He would essentially be undermining his own credibility to ownership.
    Sometimes self preservation trumps the right thing to do in office politics.

On the bright side Jozy was essentially a non entity in 2020 so almost anything we get from him in 2021 would be an improvement. Hopefully he has enough pride and determination to show his critics that there is something left in the tank.
    Last edited by NK Toronto; 12-15-2020 at 03:16 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Expansion Draft starts at 6pm. We'll find out if we lose anyone by 6:15, since Austin has 3 minutes between each pick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    Expansion Draft starts at 6pm. We'll find out if we lose anyone by 6:15, since Austin has 3 minutes between each pick
    This can be watched at mlssoccer.com for anyone without a life like me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Austin doesn't have a keeper. We're a bit thin on defence. Kamal Miller and Derek Cornelius are both unprotected Canadian defenders. Maybe a Bono swap based around a pick one of those two?
    Last edited by rydermike; 12-15-2020 at 06:04 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No TFC player chosen in the draft. Make of that what you will.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Impact acquire Kamal Miller for 225K in GAM and 11th overall pick
    Last edited by rydermike; 12-15-2020 at 06:32 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Beat me to it. Non flashy but serviceable Canadian LB.

I wonder if we’d consider having Edwards or Morgan back as backups. Both available, also not sure if either is the answer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Didn't think TFC would lose anyone. Now on to free agency and the re-entry draft.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Justin Morrow wants to re-sign and retire with the reds https://www.wakingthered.com/2020/12...eer-in-toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    So question to you is.....do you think Jozy is worth it for what he is doing for the team right now for the price TFC are paying?"
    No I don't think he is currently worth the DP slot.

The idea being floated is he would not find a team to play on anywhere but TFC - that is patently absurd.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    No I don't think he is currently worth the DP slot.

The idea being floated is he would not find a team to play on anywhere but TFC - that is patently absurd.
    I think that’s a little unfair. The argument is more that no team on earth is serving him a contract even remotely close to the 4-6m he’s been on the last 5 years. The list of MLS teams that would want him right now on this contract is likely zero. If he were at the 2.5m range (which would never happen unless he found the right Euro/MX club IMO) I still think the list of teams queuing for him would be countable on a few fingers at best.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    No TFC player chosen in the draft. Make of that what you will.
    It just speaks to our lack of depth and quality outside the starting 11. This is why Vanney had to play guys until they were run into the ground. There was nothing on the bench.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was responding to this

I would be shocked if there was a club anywhere that would want him, even on a free transfer.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NK Toronto View Post
    It just speaks to our lack of depth and quality outside the starting 11. This is why Vanney had to play guys until they were run into the ground. There was nothing on the bench.

This is an opinion not shared by most MLS observers. We lack certain things. Lacking any depth is hyperbole.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    I think that’s a little unfair. The argument is more that no team on earth is serving him a contract even remotely close to the 4-6m he’s been on the last 5 years. The list of MLS teams that would want him right now on this contract is likely zero. If he were at the 2.5m range (which would never happen unless he found the right Euro/MX club IMO) I still think the list of teams queuing for him would be countable on a few fingers at best.
    IMHO there would be some Arab or Chinese clubs that would pay max 3 mil per year to Jozy, on a free transfer. This way TFC could be eating just half of his salary for the 21 and 22 seasons, lol.
    But the thing is Jozy would never accept to go to some shitty Arab league or to China.

In no other "serious" league (like in Europe outside the top 5, the next 5 leagues maybe) would anyone pay him more than 2 mil per year.
    Last edited by PizzaEatingYeti; 12-16-2020 at 08:14 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or, Austin had an idea what players they wanted to target based on Josh Wolff's preference. Austin picked up 2 starters, traded a player for a nice pot of GAM, and 2 depth guys.

It really doesn't say anything about TFC's depth, just because TFC players didn't get picked.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think it really says much about our depth. We had very few players actually exposed due to a high number of automatically protected players and out-of contract players (there is no reason to pick an out-of-contract given they would become free agents today or could pick them in the re-entry draft thursday)

Guys like Delgado, Akinola, Priso, and Nelson were automatically protected, so we didn't have to waste protection spots on them. Then players like Piatti and Ciman are out-of-contract.

We only had four players truly exposed:
    Gallardo and Endoh - both are bench players who require international spots (Austin already had 5 international players and added one in Housen during the draft. Probably wouldn't want to waste one of their 2 remaining spots on a bench player)
    Silva is a 3rd string keeper
    Mullins is a bench player with a very high wage

Our exposed players weren't really attractive. We were fortunate not to have to leave a quality contracted player like Kamal Miller unprotected
    Last edited by rydermike; 12-16-2020 at 10:37 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think there is merit to each side of this argument. Generally, we have depth. Some positions are better than others however.

It’s a question of whether Vanney’s unwillingness to rotate certain spots was a question of lack of faith or simply a strong desire to play his best option each and every time out.

Prior to Priso joining the first team, I might have argued we lacked a 4th CM. Clearly, there was limited trust in Fraser and with all of Delgado, Osorio, and Bradley typically making a first choice 11.... nobody was really available as a late game sub.

As many have pointed out, that should have been a necessity and better way to shore up the team when defending late, rather than doing our 3rd CB trick which never worked

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Free agency opens today.

And I'm bored, so here are some interesting available free agents. I tried to shy away from int'l spot players, and concentrate on what TFC needs for depth.

Full list: https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/...021-mls-season

Matt Besler (CB, 34 in Feb): SKC didn't renew his contract, but long time MLS guy who can organize a defence. Legs are slow, but if he's got another year or two, could be an interesting 3rd CB esp paired with Mavinga. (and if the salary is right) I'm thinking hopefully another Drew Moor effect.

Dom Dwyer (ST, 30): Coming off a season where he hardly played and a DP contract, Mr Leroux will still probably command max salary cap, maybe even TAM for teams desperate for striking power. For TFC, I'd take a punt at him. He's better than Mullinho in skill wise, but after 2 ish years of poor seasons, is he motivated?

Diego Fagundez (AM/FW, 25): Lots of MLS experience but still only 25. He's going to be a starter at an another MLS club probably, at max salary cap wage probably. I can see him be a starter on one of the wings for TFC.

Kevin Molino (AM/W/ST, 30): Not going back to Minnesota, reportedly turned down max TAM money. So I dunno if he's fishing for DP money or wants to play for a contender (even if Loons got pretty far in the playoffs this season). But if TFC gets him, legit threat on the wings. I'd throw max TAM money at him (instead of Piatti)

Lee Nguyen (CAM, 34): I'd say he should go play for Vietnamese league for one last big paycheck. But if he wants to play another season in MLS, TFC can use a creative CAM to give Pozuelo a break.

Kelyn Rowe (M, 29): If TFC needs another Marky Delgado, another versatile midfielder who can play multiple positions.

C.J. Sapong (F, 32): Think another Jozy in terms of play style. Hold up guy who puts approx 1 in 2 shots on goal. But streaky in terms of goal production.

Bradley Wright-Phillips (F, 35): One more year? Scored a bunch of goals for LAFC says BWP still has goals left in his boots after a bad 2019 season and people saying he's finished. If you want proven depth, and someone to teach the kids how to score goals in MLS.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    This is an opinion not shared by most MLS observers. We lack certain things. Lacking any depth is hyperbole.
    Then why did Vanney not rest Poz, Delgado, Piatti and Osorio down the stretch when they were clearly tired, with the end result seeing all 4 end up injured? Seems to me that Vanney did not have a lot of faith in his bench. The fact that none of the unprotected players were taken in the expansion draft speaks further to the quality of that group.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Then why did Vanney not rest Poz, Delgado, Piatti and Osorio down the stretch when they were clearly tired, with the end result seeing all 4 end up injured? Seems to me that Vanney did not have a lot of faith in his bench. The fact that none of the unprotected players were taken in the expansion draft speaks further to the quality of that group.
    Have a feeling he knew he was leaving after the season and the Shield was right there for the taking and at least he would have left with silverware so he went after it hard. The MLS Cup playoffs are always a toss up, especially so with playing away from "home".

However, it goes back to our overall lack of conditioning. Other teams ran their main XI down the stretch too and none of them looked as ragged or beat down as we did. We were proven to be incapable of playing effectively on anything less than a weeks rest and when a run of matches mount, our guys wear out badly. As for our bench depth, it was also proven to be lacking at least offensively when given the opportunity.

In that draft almost all of our players in it were free agents who were overpaid. The ones that weren't (Endoh, Mullins, & Gallardo) either aren't great, too expensive for what they bring, or take up an international roster spot. Sometimes they're all three of those things.
    Last edited by Ultra & Proud; 12-17-2020 at 12:18 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wheeler said yesterday that TFC will narrow down their search to 3-4 candidates before Christmas, and believes the head coach hire will happen after New Years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC1154ever View Post
    Wheeler said yesterday that TFC will narrow down their search to 3-4 candidates before Christmas, and believes the head coach hire will happen after New Years.
    2 weeks after Jan 01!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC1154ever View Post
    So quick in the eyes of the FO is about a month. I’ll keep that in mind kind of sad imo but what I’ve come to expect from Manning/Curtis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Luanda View Post
    2 weeks after Jan 01!
    We're two weeks away from being two weeks away!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@rmcsport
    : Laurent #Blanc devrait s’engager avec le club Al Rayyan au Qatar. Laurent blanc est déjà au Qatar. Il sera accompagné de Franck Passi.
    looks like he got bored with curtis and the 2 wk long boring interview

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    @rmcsport
    : Laurent #Blanc devrait s’engager avec le club Al Rayyan au Qatar. Laurent blanc est déjà au Qatar. Il sera accompagné de Franck Passi.
    Honestly would not surprise me one bit if that’s exactly what happened

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    @rmcsport
    I don’t think Manning and Curtis are willing to hand over as much control over acquisitions as Blanc wants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If he’s going to Qatar it’s for money and nothing else.

Also, if Blanc was truly on the table quite frankly the play would be to fire Ali and give him whatever control he needs (this also assumes control was a talking point).