Page 16 of 71 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is gonna lead to Altidore leaving but Altidore blaming Curtis for forcing him out and Curtis saying that Jozy asked to leave.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    So, his national team coach is the devil? I don't get it.
    Yes, I was going to say 🤨

Edit: is this to mean “devil in the details” yes I’m transferring, no I’m not feuding with Curtis?
    Last edited by ag futbol; 01-30-2021 at 08:01 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamp Berg View Post
    I think he just means that people are spreading rumours.

One of which could be him not getting along with Ali Curtis....

Its a lot of right now.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyways, I vaguely remember somewhere that NYRB doesn't like to cross the ball high so maybe a 5 foot 8 inch #9 isn't a bad idea.....

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will make one comment, Jozy gave everything in '16 and '17. He injured himself in the '17 playoffs and refused to be removed. The injuries to his ankles and legs could be argued were a result of that. I know it is a business but how you end something is important as how you begin something. I just don't want to see Ali and Manning blow all the good up. I was encouraged with MB, if it is time for Jozy to go. Lets do it with class.

All for One.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    I will make one comment, Jozy gave everything in '16 and '17. He injured himself in the '17 playoffs and refused to be removed. The injuries to his ankles and legs could be argued were a result of that. I know it is a business but how you end something is important as how you begin something. I just don't want to see Ali and Manning blow all the good up. I was encouraged with MB, if it is time for Jozy to go. Lets do it with class.

All for One.
    Agreed. He soldiered on through those bone chips in his ankles all the way to the CCL final until he could finally do no more.

Let's not forget what he did for us!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jozy will always be a TFC legend. But I’ll be thrilled to replace him with a DP who can stay healthy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i still think curtis will not get this over the line,alot of deadlines are coming up this weekend and we know how slow he is,who knows maybe jozy s agent is doing the brokering

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post

All for One.
    Totally. I'll be very sad if / when he goes. Legend. And for those cheering it on, be careful what you wish for. We know nothing about Borre. hopefully he is great, but Janson, Piatti, lots of others came in with high hopes - and there has only been one Jozy.
    Last edited by MightyDM; 01-31-2021 at 07:31 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Totally. I'll be very sad if / when he goes. Legend. And for those cheering it on, be careful what you wish for. We know nothing about Barros. hopefully he is great, but Janson, Piatti, lots of others came in with high hopes - and there has only been one Jozy.
    I can live without a forward that plays about 40% of matches (at best) and bagged a whopping 2 goals for $6.5M last year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jozy is a legend and deserves to be treated as such. The time has come for both sides to move on though.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rollins retweeted this analysis wheel on Borree

This is....good

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In (the business of) sports there is no place for sentalism.
    There is always some one better (and at a lower price) to be had.
    If this story is true, let us move on and embrace two things: Jozy did well for us when healthy, but it is high time now for a replacement.
    Last edited by Luanda; 01-30-2021 at 11:14 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    This kind of ominous bullshit statement is why Jozy gets on my nerves. If you don’t want to leave say that explicitly and @ all the journalists who are reporting including from outlets like ESPN and your own coach who says there’s interest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everyone in football is jousting!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Hmmm....

If that is the case, and Carlisle has no reason to make this stuff up, he be gone no matter what.
    I agree with this. It’s over.

Jozy’s tweet throwing shade on this is him reminding everyone he has 100% control over where he goes.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    This kind of ominous bullshit statement is why Jozy gets on my nerves. If you don’t want to leave say that explicitly and @ all the journalists who are reporting including from outlets like ESPN and your own coach who says there’s interest.
    And yet it's still less unprofessional than Berhalter talking about this. First, I may add.

Look I wasn't convinced about Altidore's renewal contract from the beginning. I think it was a panic move because the team didn't have a plan for Giovinco's departure, despite having more than a full year's notice of trouble, and didn't have a plan for Altidore despite months of rumblings, nor a plan to replace Vazquez in a timely fashion, despite letting him go in the middle of his contract. Lots of things around Altidore have been strange for a couple of years now.

Hopefully they'll eventually have a new plan and this chapter can be closed w/o too much rancour. A 5 ft 9 inch forward, even if he's younger and more fit, isn't enough on his own to replace the Jozy that was helping us win things a few years ago. Considering also that the status of the other two 5 ft 10 inch forwards is uncertain (injury or trade).

Well there's always Mullinho...
    Last edited by Auzzy; 01-31-2021 at 03:49 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC are part of the USMNT establishment. Berhalter wasn’t being unprofessional. He is no amateur and neither is Manning. Berhalter would not have said anything unless it was OK with Manning. He had to say something about why Jozy was sitting. That message was no mistake. TFC must be in final stages of a deal, and decided to put the word out just to beat the bushes one last time. Means they must be underwhelmed by what they are getting (or having to eat), to me.

I wonder what Jozy's market really is. I assume he could be veteran depth in Mexico but would he really go if it wasn’t to a big club like CA or Monterrey or Tigres? I could also easily imagine him as a depth player for a pretty big club in Europe. I think we'd all be surprised at the caliber of team that might take him on loan

I can also imagine nobody whatsoever having any interest anywhere at anything other than a fraction of what he makes, which means TFC are eating a lot of salary.

I think he'd help sell tickets in Miami or Orlando, the whole USMNT failure v Trinidad thing matters less in that market. They can make positive use of his Haitian background and Spanish skills. It's home for him and works for a professional tennis player (his spouse). Florida is where I'd put my money on the roulette wheel. With TFC paying half his salary and a player (Tesho?) coming back. Something like that.
    Last edited by ensco; 01-31-2021 at 09:28 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And yet it's still less unprofessional than Berhalter talking about this. First, I may add.

Look I wasn't convinced about Altidore's renewal contract from the beginning. I think it was a panic move because the team didn't have a plan for Giovinco's departure, despite having more than a full year's notice of trouble, and didn't have a plan for Altidore despite months of rumblings, nor a plan to replace Vazquez in a timely fashion, despite letting him go in the middle of his contract. Lots of things around Altidore have been strange for a couple of years now.

Hopefully they'll eventually have a new plan and this chapter can be closed w/o too much rancour. A 5 ft 9 inch forward, even if he's younger and more fit, isn't enough on his own to replace the Jozy that was helping us win things a few years ago. Considering also that the status of the other two 5 ft 10 inch forwards is uncertain (injury or trade).

Well there's always Mullinho...
    I don't get the obsession with height. He's a better player than Jozy and on his own was good enough for Riverplate a far better team.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    I don't get the obsession with height. He's a better player than Jozy and on his own was good enough for Riverplate a far better team.
    For me it's not an obsession. It's one factor. I don't know too much how River Plate or the whole league plays. Can I make a guess that the average height and size of defenders in MLS is higher than in Argentina? I'm concerned about the obsession that TFC has had in the past to pump crosses into the box (and always looking for wingers to get better at that) while being totally overpowered in the box, especially when Altidore was (often) absent. Just one example: Jozy in his better days with TFC, helped Giovinco's productivity by "occupying" multiple defenders, while contributing plenty of goals himself.

Perhaps Armas will play differently. Actually Armas (as coach) overlapped heavily with BWP at NYRB. And you really are right about height if we consider BWP. He's only 5' 8" ?!? I'm shocked, BWP "plays" big, I would have guessed he's much taller. We shall see I guess. I'm not too concerned about Jozy leaving. I just hope they are able to build an effective attacking corps, with enough firepower on the bench to deal with the daily grind and injuries, perhaps even avoid some of the exhaustion and injuries we saw when guys were overplayed. TFC has been really thin in attack, and I found it sad when Pozuelo would be played as a lone attacker against MLS CB beasts for example.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Yeah, but the origin of the rumors came from Berhalter saying Jozy was sitting out because of transfer related dealings.
    There were Twitter rumours before Berhalter said that. Jozy’s tweet appeared to be responding to those rumours. Just to be fair.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    TFC are part of the USMNT establishment. Berhalter wasn’t being unprofessional. He is no amateur and neither is Manning. Berhalter would not have said anything unless it was OK with Manning. He had to say something about why Jozy was sitting. That message was no mistake. TFC must be in final stages of a deal, and decided to put the word out just to beat the bushes one last time. Means they must be underwhelmed by what they are getting (or having to eat), to me.
    I still think it's strange coming from Berhalter. There are plenty of other things he could have said, such as "Jozy has recovered, but we want to be extra careful as he comes back from a long off-season."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Loathe as I am to admit it, this is the most realistic scenario. Curtis is probably pushing hard to get Borre or another DP signed so that he has a consolation announcement after it's done.

I can see Beckham taking a flyer on him. Young new squad, one of his starting strikers already near retirement but a world class player; it would make sense in a platoon system. I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up eating a whole lot of salary so he's a TAM player (or the most technical of DPs only) wherever he winds up.

I wonder what Jozy's market really is. I assume he could be veteran depth in Mexico but would he really go if it wasn’t to a big club like CA or Monterrey or Tigres? I could also easily imagine him as a depth player for a pretty big club in Europe. I think we'd all be surprised at the caliber of team that might take him on loan

I can also imagine nobody whatsoever having any interest anywhere at anything other than a fraction of what he makes, which means TFC are eating a lot of salary.

I think he'd help sell tickets in Miami or Orlando, the whole USMNT failure v Trinidad thing matters less in that market. They can make positive use of his Haitian background and Spanish skills. It's home for him and works for a professional tennis player (his spouse). Florida is where I'd put my money on the roulette wheel. With TFC paying half his salary and a player (Tesho?) coming back. Something like that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me it's not an obsession. It's one factor. I don't know too much how River Plate or the whole league plays. Can I make a guess that the average height and size of defenders in MLS is higher than in Argentina? I'm concerned about the obsession that TFC has had in the past to pump crosses into the box (and always looking for wingers to get better at that) while being totally overpowered in the box, especially when Altidore was (often) absent. Just one example: Jozy in his better days with TFC, helped Giovinco's productivity by "occupying" multiple defenders, while contributing plenty of goals himself.

Perhaps Armas will play differently. Actually Armas (as coach) overlapped heavily with BWP at NYRB. And you really are right about height if we consider BWP. He's only 5' 8" ?!? I'm shocked, BWP "plays" big, I would have guessed he's much taller. We shall see I guess. I'm not too concerned about Jozy leaving. I just hope they are able to build an effective attacking corps, with enough firepower on the bench to deal with the daily grind and injuries, perhaps even avoid some of the exhaustion and injuries we saw when guys were overplayed. TFC has been really thin in attack, and I found it sad when Pozuelo would be played as a lone attacker against MLS CB beasts for example.
    TFC has been thin in attack. Bringing in a small South American, if the player is truly DP level, really replaces Gio’s role, not Jozy’s. Poz replaced VV in a way. Does that mean Ayo replaces Jozy? I suspect that’s the case and if it is, there is room to bring back Piatti. That gives you a pretty skilled and creative attack and also allows you to move a midfielder (likely Marky) and rebalance financially with a young Canadian like Priso

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure Phil Neville or Beckham are ready yet to get beyond the EPL mindset of a failure at Sunderland means he's not good enough anywhere. Orlando would be intriguing as they really don't have a central forward with any strength. I also see an opportunity in the Eredivisie or Bundesliga, if his salary somehow drops.

I agree that Berhalter put that out there, probably with both Jozy & TFC's blessing.

LigaMx would have him as depth but pay him well - he'd thrive in a place like Tigres. There is always a place for a big man forward in LigaMx.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    TFC has been thin in attack. Bringing in a small South American, if the player is truly DP level, really replaces Gio’s role, not Jozy’s. Poz replaced VV in a way. Does that mean Ayo replaces Jozy? I suspect that’s the case and if it is, there is room to bring back Piatti. That gives you a pretty skilled and creative attack and also allows you to move a midfielder (likely Marky) and rebalance financially with a young Canadian like Priso

NYRB (and god how it pains me to have to right now look as that model for clues as to what we will play) tends to go with a 4-1-3-2 or 4-2-3-1 - but neither really use hold up play centre forwards. They are all about running the channels, creating spaces for runs and go go go. Famously train to a shotclock where if there is not attempt on goal within 10 seconds, they reset and go again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very good point re: Florida.

Maybe Kamal Miller is a trade piece? Non-flashy LB (also can play some CB to my understanding). He’s basically the younger version of Justin Morrow, plus Canadian.

Also seems to be their 2nd choice option. Might be a good stop-gap solution for us until we figure out what the future of that spot is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    NYRB (and god how it pains me to have to right now look as that model for clues as to what we will play) tends to go with a 4-1-3-2 or 4-2-3-1 - but neither really use hold up play centre forwards. They are all about running the channels, creating spaces for runs and go go go. Famously train to a shotclock where if there is not attempt on goal within 10 seconds, they reset and go again.
    That’s such a huge contrast from the way we play right now.

I have nothing against such a system but maybe the next philosophy we implement as a club should be reflective of our own history (and getting the most out of our best player and league MVP?) and not just management’s experience with the football world’s equivalent of a fast food franchise.

Anyway, sorry that’s nothing against you or your post. I just think the people we hire to manage this club should recognize it’s own uniqueness and put that ahead of their own preferences. I can dream I guess...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the idea of going towards a more Red Bull system, we just completely lack the players to play that way outside of maybe a couple midfielders.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Very good point re: Florida.

Maybe Kamal Miller is a trade piece? Non-flashy LB (also can play some CB to my understanding). He’s basically the younger version of Justin Morrow, plus Canadian.

Also seems to be their 2nd choice option. Might be a good stop-gap solution for us until we figure out what the future of that spot is.
    miller is at MTL now