Hybrid View

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Greg Vanney appreciation thread

Many thanks Greg for the memories. Canadian Championship, Supporters Shield, MLS Cup, that unforgettable win from behind against Montreal over 2 games. No matter what happens in the future, I'll always remember your tenure.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Absolute legend. Took us from a joke to a force. Thank you for everything, Greg.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That whole 2017 was magical, processional. I'm so glad we saw the quality in early 2018 as well - who else in MLS has ever stacked up against the best of Mexico? And after the necessary recovery season, right back to the finals in 2019.

Thanks for the best we've seen so far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was rewarding watching him develop as a coach over the years here, taking TFC to levels it had never been before. His sideline demeanor will be missed and his cerebral approach to the game was second to none. I will miss him greatly. Good luck in the future, Greg!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    It was rewarding watching him develop as a coach over the years here, taking TFC to levels it had never been before. His sideline demeanor will be missed and his cerebral approach to the game was second to none. I will miss him greatly. Good luck in the future, Greg!
    Can't say it much than that!

All the best to Greg with his future endeavours....do we create a scarf in his honour at some point??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good luck Greg on your new adventures! Thank you for your tenure and all the success you brought to the club.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think my favourite Vanney moment was him screaming at Marsch “why are you here? GTFO” in that halftime tunnel skirmish.

I am not going to go overboard on the farewell as I am pretty certain he will return someday. But yeah, he was terrific, and a good guy. Proved me and most of us wrong.

Good luck (sort of) in LA.
    Last edited by ensco; 12-01-2020 at 02:27 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for everything Greg! I was concerned at first, seemed like another low-ambition, low-experience coach signing when others were available. And things started off a bit rough here as well. But Vanney really proved us wrong, took the team to unimagined heights, and learned lots along the way. From everything we've heard (journalists, staff, players, etc.) a super nice, super smart and committed guy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Greg, you were a leader on and off the field, and as others have said, took us from a laughingstock to champions, and from there to permanent contender. So many fantastic memories, particularly Seba coming off the bench straight from the airport to put us in the playoffs for the first time; the second leg against Montreal (and we all learned after you had been yelling at Seba and Jozy "don't change the play" just before Jozy scored) and of course the Cups. Thank you for your service, and for the great dignity and decency you always showed.
    Last edited by MightyDM; 12-02-2020 at 06:07 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wish Greg Vanney the best of luck. Very disappointed to see him go though. He has left a high bar for the next coach to meet as far as team building & results. Don't envy his successor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Although I didn't always see eye to eye with him on his decisions there is no mistaking the huge impact he had on the club. He delivered a boatload of trophies and moved the club from laughing stock to best team ever. Thanks for everything Greg and I wish you and your family all the best in whatever the future may hold

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, Greg! He made TFC into a contender.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

THANK YOU Greg.
    We supporters waited a long time for that year in 2017.
    You, the club, the city, the country and all TFC supporters enjoyed the memories and the recognition . . .
    J&M

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you to Greg for all his years of service to the club. He will always be remembered for our first MLS Cup win!

Hope he does well in the future (except when playing TFC)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

6 years of stability, 6 trophies including a domestic treble. All I need to remind you of are the coaching carousel that marked the early years.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In February of 2015, MLS journos went down to Florida to meet with the league. At the time, the league asked a number of them for the thing each team that season would be known for

Consensus for TFC?

First team to fire a coach that season

We were a joke - the laughingstock of the whole league.

That's less then 7 years ago.

Vanney stopped the merry go round, brought stability, a mindset of attacking football & an indepth approach to the academy (that was a disaster until he arrived in 2014). Yes, he wasn't the only piece to this. But, without his leadership, the team would still be a joke on and off the pitch.