Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    I personally like the idea of promoting from within the organization. Stability and familiarity are key to success.
    I normally do as well but I think in this case our same old, same old is just old. We should use this as an opportunity to correct some of our issues (team speed, quicker play).

Of that list, although very risky, I would give Wagner a shot. Although the Seattle assistant in intriguing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Why has nobody mentioned Mista? That’s the most obvious candidate here, lol
    Let us keep him here in Ottawa for another year or two first. I want to do more scouting on him.

Edit: I think we could get a fairly high-profile name from Europe like Wagner, but they would be looking to rebuild their reputation after a poor run of form. Viera and Wagner fit the bill, but are there others that might also meet the requirements? I think MLSE could entice them with name recognition (I was struck upthread about a random journalist from Brazil tagging TFC) and the pedigree of being the only Treble club in MLS' existence.
    Last edited by Initial B; 12-04-2020 at 11:39 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m okay with an assistant being promoted. We won’t know if they are the right person until after-the-fact but there is no reason why they can’t be successful.

Nick Nurse was an assistant for the raptors before he got the full gig. He was radically different from his predecessor. Lots of examples of this in football too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    Let us keep him here in Ottawa for another year or two first. I want to do more scouting on him.

Edit: I think we could get a fairly high-profile name from Europe like Wagner, but they would be looking to rebuild their reputation after a poor run of form. Viera and Wagner fit the bill, but are there others that might also meet the requirements? I think MLSE could entice them with name recognition (I was struck upthread about a random journalist from Brazil tagging TFC) and the pedigree of being the only Treble club in MLS' existence.
    While undoubtedly quality, my hesitation with these types is they have no loyalty and if they do well they will spring board to another job in a few years.

I would like someone, that at least in theory, could be around 4-5 years if they do well.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I’m okay with an assistant being promoted. We won’t know if they are the right person until after-the-fact but there is no reason why they can’t be successful.

Nick Nurse was an assistant for the raptors before he got the full gig. He was radically different from his predecessor. Lots of examples of this in football too.
    Nurse had a lot of experience abroad though.

Promoting from within is a good way to stay the course but I am not sold that our course is great long term. I would also be concerned that it may signal a lack of ambition to our players. Basically going with a "budget" version of Vanney. Signing a manager with some name or connections would help with recruitment especially with a new DP or DPs coming in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree regarding getting younger and faster. That falls on Curtis though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Nurse had a lot of experience abroad though.

Promoting from within is a good way to stay the course but I am not sold that our course is great long term. I would also be concerned that it may signal a lack of ambition to our players. Basically going with a "budget" version of Vanney. Signing a manager with some name or connections would help with recruitment especially with a new DP or DPs coming in.
    Absolutely, but keep in mind Nurse was vying for a job in the best league in world too. Might not need that same level of outside experience for TFC.

That said, I really know nothing of the capabilities of our guys ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Just looking at his profile and he seems to have coached all over the place, but he never stays longer than a year or two. If you are looking for stability he is not a candidate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think some people will be excited about the Portugal factor. I have no idea if he is a good coach or not though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

According to Wiki Sousa has coached 9 different clubs since 2009. I don't think that's what TFC is looking for. People would get excited about a Portuguese coach, but I would want someone who is prepared to make a longer commitment
    Last edited by NK Toronto; 12-04-2020 at 03:13 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In terms of a coach I think I would prefer to get someone local or someone lesser known who is committed to the project and can provide stability. The problem with a higher profile coach is they are quick to bolt if things aren't going well or if a better option comes along. Instead of spending big on a coach use that money on a DP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's managed a lot of teams over the last decade, but his winning percentage is pretty decent. He seems to excel when he has a quality squad.

I am not opposed to this hire. It's good to see we are looking at coaches beyond Ben Olsen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As cool as having a Portuguese coach would be his resume is really meh

No from me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn’t mind Mark van Bommel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As cool as having a Portuguese coach would be his resume is really meh

No from me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These guys all have stellar pro records at a high level and are all available:

Ernesto Valverde

Massimiliano Allegri

Patrick Viera

Laurent Blanc

Savo Milosevic

Mark van Bommel

Leonardo Jardim

Óscar Ramírez
    Last edited by jloome; 12-04-2020 at 05:06 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Allegri not having another club a year and a half after leaving Juve is a mystery to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Allegri not having another club a year and a half after leaving Juve is a mystery to me.
    Apparently he has turned down multiple clubs, including at least on in the Premiership so it's a pipe dream on my part. Max sees himself as the next Man Utd manager, I think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can anyone think of a European coach who came to MLS and had a long term successful stint? Frank de Boer is a recent big name but he didn't do so well in Atlanta.
    Last edited by NK Toronto; 12-04-2020 at 05:12 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NK Toronto View Post
    Can anyone think of a European coach who came to MLS and had a long term successful stint? Frank de Boer is a recent big name but he didn't do so well in Atlanta.
    Adrian Heath, Patrick Viera, Gary Smith. Dom Torrent did okay but obviously hated MLS rules and travel. Paunovic was in Chicago for three or four years but I wouldn't call them successful; he may have been hamstrung by front office decisions, as he took the Serbian U21 to the World Cup and he's doing really well at Reading.

There haven't been that many who tried.

If we could get Viera he obviously has the pedigree from NYC and knows the league. I'd like to try a guy like Ramirez, who led Alajuense in Costa Rica to five titles and coached their last national cycle. MLS is still a low-budget league, relatively speaking, and guys from poorer leagues are used to dealing with roster handicaps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't actually think long-tem is necessarily what we need right now. Long-term is what we needed when this club was in shambles, which is why Vanney was great. Long-term is what we'll have once Bradley retires and is appointed as an assitant or head coach of TFC2.

It seems Marcelino is out of a job still. Poor guy beat Barcelona for the Copa del Rey last year with Velencia and was sacked for no other reason than Peter Lim seemingly being hell-bent on imploding the club.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The general sentiment amongst posters is that Vanney is a good coach and it's too bad he left. But he was an unknown when he got here. So maybe another unknown coach who is humble, hard working, and committed is the best option rather than a high priced mercenary who won't fit into the club culture. In other words another Greg Vanney.

At the end of the day its really about the quality of the players that a coach is given that is most important in determining success. If you don't have the players you aren't going to win no matter who is coaching.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gabriel Heinze looks to be Atlanta's new coach.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Apparently he has turned down multiple clubs, including at least on in the Premiership so it's a pipe dream on my part. Max sees himself as the next Man Utd manager, I think.
    TFC should chat with ManU, maybe we can get Solskjær now and they get Allegri.

I agree if it's a foreign coach for TFC, only somebody who has done well in a salary-constrained environment and has generally survived in less-than-ideal conditions.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NK Toronto View Post
    The general sentiment amongst posters is that Vanney is a good coach and it's too bad he left. But he was an unknown when he got here. So maybe another unknown coach who is humble, hard working, and committed is the best option rather than a high priced mercenary who won't fit into the club culture. In other words another Greg Vanney.

At the end of the day its really about the quality of the players that a coach is given that is most important in determining success. If you don't have the players you aren't going to win no matter who is coaching.
    But just because Vanney did well, doesn't mean another relative noob would also do well. It's at least as much a risk as any of the other risks discussed here. So much depends on character and other intangibles in that situation. I don't know if Curtis and Manning have the skills and insight to make a good choice in that environment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gabriel Heinze looks to be Atlanta's new coach.
    Seems a good hire that fits their Latin identity. I hope our next manager is more along these lines.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rumour of Paulo Sousa being a candidate for the job.

I would be very happy with this hire. He has a good pedigree, excluding his quick stay in China.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we can lure a decent pedigree manager from Europe then I'd pair them up with Bobby Smyrniotis as his assistant. For me ..wasn't impressed with Vierra at NYCFC nor the way he left before accomplishing anything. I'd pass. It would be like grabbing Thierry Henry from Montreal...not proven at all yet.

Bradley ...I'd give some serious consideration to taking the gamble and giving him the reigns. He knows MLS...he has an international mind-set in DNA. You know he is going to follow in his dads management footsteps. He has also been one of the foundational pieces that rescued this team from the hell we were in.

The only MLS coach that I'd consider is Robin Fraser...he was a big part of our success & I think he will go on to success one way or another. He'd fit back in like a glove here.

If there were a suitable Liga MX candidate I'd look there ...doesn't seem to be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This will probably look like a stupid post when we have no coach in late January... However, I feel like this search is going to be concluded before the holidays.