Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    If they were interviewing preferred candidates last week then you’d hope for an announcement by the end of this week. Otherwise I’m going to start worrying that we’re scraping the bottom of some kind of barrel.
    You would think next week at the latest. Especially since Curtis has said he wants the new coach involved in the search for the 3rd DP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    If they were interviewing preferred candidates last week then you’d hope for an announcement by the end of this week. Otherwise I’m going to start worrying that we’re scraping the bottom of some kind of barrel.
    Atlanta United has taken about 5 months to find their next head coach, and has only just recently made the hiring, if I'm not mistaken.

Perhaps this is a case of where the top brass @ Toronto FC would rather take their time to ensure that their next coach is the right fit for them, depending on the type of setup and playing style they want to play?

As for these suggestions on Vierra, it should be noted that there was another article posted on The Athletic (not sure if this has already been posted in this thread) a while back ago which explained that Vierra won't want to return back to MLS unless he has significant control over the roster. And it's been suggested by sources that Manning & Ali do not want to give that up.

https://theathletic.com/2238177/2020...andidates-mls/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spe18 View Post
    Atlanta United has taken about 5 months to find their next head coach, and has only just recently made the hiring, if I'm not mistaken.
    Let’s not use this as the example of the right thing to do. They fired mid season, which makes it slightly more complicated.

We have a situation where it was fairly well telegraphed to ownership they might need to search for a new manager (at an optimal time no less).

We should be quick out the gate on this one. There are still plenty of other things that need to be done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's be patient here, we want to get this right. We don't even know when the season starts so let's pump the brakes with the hire someone now or we're scraping the barrel narrative. I'm sure hiring a coach yesterday to appease a small subset of fans on an online message board is right at the top of Ali's to-do list.

If Alonso does in fact become available I'd like to see him interviewed as well. He might not play a style that I necessarily like, however his resume in Concacaf speaks for itself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don’t think this should be framed as rushing.

If you’re Ali Curtis and Vanney suddenly forgets where his pen is for an extension half way through his final contract year you HAVE to be looking at the market to understand who your backup candidates would potentially be. Once the off-season comes you need to be ready to take action.

If I’m to use our experience signing wingers and a CB as an example, waiting did not get us better options when we finally got deals done. What it did was handicap the team for extended periods waiting for changes to happen.

Let’s strike a deal in an acceptable amount of time and not be held back by not having a coach when building our roster or when starting training camp.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No news on Laurent Blanc. I wonder if he even interviewed?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NK Toronto View Post
    He is or was being interviewed from what I gather, really do not expect anything about the new head coach until the new year. It's not like we have a bunch of reporters knocking on doors, trying to beat each other for the story.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question is. How long until we find one

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC1986 View Post
    Question is. How long until we find one
    Two weeks.

Then another two weeks.

Then...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NK Toronto View Post
    Some newspaper article from over in France said he was interested in TFC. I think our FO just takes their sweet assed time doing everything.

Main question with him, Viera, or Alonso is salary and/or amount of roster control and possibly technical control of academy in terms of playing style and whether they get as much as they'd like.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Some newspaper article from over in France said he was interested in TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Sun had reported that there was a Zoom call set up for late last week with Blanc and Vierra to gauge their interest in the role.
    https://torontosun.com/sports/soccer...-be-next-coach

On Blanc, here's an article from over the weekend that Nantes had interviewed/met with Blanc, but he will not be their manager: https://www.lequipe.fr/Football/Actu...nantes/1205145
    “It was more of a philosophical, strategic discussion about the evolution of football. It was very informative but it stops there, ” said the president of FC Nantes. Laurent Blanc will therefore not be the next coach of the Canaries.

Another that Blanc will not be the new manager of BVB: https://www.sport.fr/football/lauren...nd-743655.shtm

And one more from late November where Blanc says he has doubts of ever coaching a senior squad again, and sees himself as a potential youth coach: https://www.ouest-france.fr/sport/fo...avenir-7066137

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know nothing of his past work. But does this suggest he has some grand plan which is outside of the current mainstream thinking?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is the Guardian (England) newspaper's uncomplimentary review of Vieira's time as coach of Nice:

https://www.theguardian.com/football...is-job-at-nice

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JustSaying View Post
    Here is the Guardian (England) newspaper's uncomplimentary review of Vieira's time as coach of Nice:

https://www.theguardian.com/football...is-job-at-nice
    Same as at NYCFC. Random formations, no clear gameplan, using players out of their natural positions, etc.

He just seems like a manager who has no clue and just keeps throwing ideas at a board hoping something will stick. Like I said earlier; his NYCFC success was more because of the talent assembled than his work as manager. Olsen probably would have done better with that NYCFC team and he's a boob.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slaven Bilic is now available. Premier League experience but never had the chance to manage one of the upper tier clubs. Fluent in english. Known as a player's manager. Wonder if he would be interested in MLS.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vanney to LAG

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The most unsurprising news of the off-season. Vanney better get a massive ovation when he returns to Toronto (with fans in the stands).

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The "boring" comments from some LAG circles

wait for them here if we don't get a Euro name.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    The "boring" comments from some LAG circles

wait for them here if we don't get a Euro name.
    We dont need a Euro name necessarily, we need someone really good. And if they are good, our fan base is getting more sophisticated. Personally, I didn’t want either Vierra or Blanc specifically. What is going to be more important is a great DP signing. I just want to know if MLSE is still all in on 2021 and going for silver (that includes CCL)

On Vanney, he saw the writing, TFC must not have been guaranteeing anything or back channels from LA on job availability, can’t really blame him....Even though AEG is hurting - LAG is going to spend money. And if so Vanney will look very good, his career is solid, and his path is defined upwards....timing is everything sometimes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    We dont need a Euro name necessarily, we need someone really good. And if they are good, our fan base is getting more sophisticated. Personally, I didn’t want either Vierra or Blanc specifically. What is going to be more important is a great DP signing. I just want to know if MLSE is still all in on 2021 and going for silver (that includes CCL)

On Vanney, he saw the writing, TFC must not have been guaranteeing anything or back channels from LA on job availability, can’t really blame him....Even though AEG is hurting - LAG is going to spend money. And if so Vanney will look very good, his career is solid, and his path is defined upwards....timing is everything sometimes.
    Agree with this with a slight twist - we need someone who players we are trying to recruit will recognize as really good, or at least as stability.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Agree with this with a slight twist - we need someone who players we are trying to recruit will recognize as really good, or at least as stability.

Better phrased

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post

Agreed.

I would frame it like this: 1) Renewal or not, Vanney is not Curtis and Manning’s hire. That doesn’t bode well if the team doesn’t perform 2) Vanney has roots in California. How often will these sorts of opportunities pop up? 3) what is left to prove with TFC other than a CCL win? LAG project is something new.

Agreed stability / quality needs to be the goal here. Let’s not flip coaches every 18 months.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Wow. Just lost all my respect for him. Obviously interested more in a paycheck than in meaningful competition.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Juan Cruz Real rumored now.

Argentine coach Juan Cruz Real has an offer to become the head coach of an MLS club. He currently manages Colombian club América de Cali. His likely destination is Toronto FC due to his ties with playing soccer and coaching in the Toronto area.
    Last edited by Ultra & Proud; 12-21-2020 at 01:32 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Juan Cruz Real-ly? Hahaha.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It just goes to show how broad and unusual the GTA soccer-verse is.

This guy cycled through some seemingly decent sized South American teams.Then somehow ended up in the GTA playing for CSL teams. Then coached in the GTA for youth teams. And then coached in South America all the way up to being the current manager at Cali.

Not sure of track record (as I know nothing of it) but the background is interesting and potentially useful for a role as TFC manager.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just looked him up. He used to be a youth coach in Mississauga for years, so at least he'll be aware of the crazy MLS rules.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So Club America have dismissed Miguel Herrera as manager?