Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Greg Vanney Steps Down

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I called for Vanney out, a lot. But now I'm having flashbacks to Mariner and his shorts and fearing what the replacement may be.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At least core roster is in tact, it's not full rebuild, however I think we should dial down our expectations for next season.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh wow. Good luck to Greg. Where's he going?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

US national team? or the Galaxy?
    Last edited by rydermike; 12-01-2020 at 10:32 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For all of those who have been calling for this - who exactly do you think we're going to have come in and improve this position?

I think we're going to look back on this as the start of a rough period for TFC, but I'd love to be proven wrong.
    TFC management changes: "like adding a new fish to your aquarium of failure." - Shakes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fucking hell

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This really sucks...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glaze View Post
    I called for Vanney out, a lot. But now I'm having flashbacks to Mariner and his shorts and fearing what the replacement may be.
    I find in MLS in particular, it is somewhat easier to find a Head Coach but a Manager is critical in this league and Ali is the wrong person for a big MLS club like Toronto. The more Leiweke's hand on this team is replaced, the more challenged we will be. In the scheme of MLSE expenses, this is a rounding error. TFC is a great brand, now known across the league, keeps Toronto a winner in sporting circles, while Raptors, Leafs and Jays figure their acts out. Unless the new US administration does something to get Covid under control we may not be back at BMO until the summer. We need something special with teams clipping hard at our heals.

I find Ali and Manning lacking in that department, I hope I am wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

God damn it, so now we need two new DP's, upgrades across the back AND a new coach.
    Last edited by flambe; 12-01-2020 at 10:32 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My deepest fear now is that they will hire Caldwell and we will only start Liam Fraser at every position.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good luck to Greg and thank you for bringing stability to TFC.

This is a disappointing news and I hope they can find someone capable and this doesn't turn into a revolving door.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    US national team? or the Galaxy?
    I hear the Galaxy. I get it but he is in deep there.

As for us, I look at the bright side. Probably go with a younger roster and no more Zavaleta for sure. Hopefully replace Conway and the fitness staff as well. I assume this was known to some degree since Vanney held off on resigning the contract he was presented in October. Hopefully Curtis was making some calls already.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WOW -- the "Gregfather" scarf needs to be made.....he will go down as our first "legendary" (in a good way) coach in club history.....is it wrong that I am very nervous as to who comes in next, and what effect that has on the group?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I hear the Galaxy. I get it but he is in deep there.

As for us, I look at the bright side. Probably go with a younger roster and no more Zavaleta for sure. Hopefully replace Conway and the fitness staff as well. I assume this was known to some degree since Vanney held off on resigning the contract he was presented in October. Hopefully Curtis was making some calls already.

my fear is that Curtis is making calls.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ali the coach killer strikes again,im not too excited to see ali make this choice,it may take until june at the pace he does things,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gutted about this but optimistic that it's for the best

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My prediction: Michael Bradley becomes the new TFC Mgr.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also this is a big hire so I expect it falls in Manning's lap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Offer Kroenke 20 bucks to take Robin Fraser back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    I find in MLS in particular, it is somewhat easier to find a Head Coach but a Manager is critical in this league and Ali is the wrong person for a big MLS club like Toronto. The more Leiweke's hand on this team is replaced, the more challenged we will be. In the scheme of MLSE expenses, this is a rounding error. TFC is a great brand, now known across the league, keeps Toronto a winner in sporting circles, while Raptors, Leafs and Jays figure their acts out. Unless the new US administration does something to get Covid under control we may not be back at BMO until the summer. We need something special with teams clipping hard at our heals.

I find Ali and Manning lacking in that department, I hope I am wrong.
    As a general point, I agree with your thesis here of needing a good promoter like Leiweke.

Someone who understands it’s not just about winning on the field it’s also about providing a product people are excited to see. Giovinco spinning defenders in circles or Pozuelo carving open defences gets us into the highlight reel and widens our audience.

We’re in a large market and if you quietly go about your business it’s easy to get lost in the shuffle. I’m just not sure the current front office group understands that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    My prediction: Michael Bradley becomes the new TFC Mgr.
    Doubtful. He doesn't have the credentials technically or professionally and he's not particularly well-liked by other players. He has a rep as being aloof and arrogant, not helped by Jimmy Conrad shitting all over him to other members of the U.S. Nat team, or Dempsey suggesting Bradley was behind a Klinsmann coup.

All I can say is I hope he's not fleeing because of Ali Curtis, ala Marsch in New York. They lost one of the best coaches in the league, now we're going to as well.

I think, more likely, the Galaxy have thrown a bucket of money at him, and it's his original club.

But the fact that it came a day after we turned down Piatti's option makes me nervous that his relationship with our GM wasn't tight, either.

I mean, he could've signed a new contract a few months ago. The fact that he didn't when Schelotto was fired means he was probably their first phone call.

Best manager in the league right now and we're losing him. Good job, MLSE. Comforting to get that sense that without Bez and Vanney you're steering the ship. I mean, assuming we want to ground it in a ditch somewhere.

Damn.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Greg Vanney managed this team to four finals, and we were the best team every time.

Vanney's accomplishment in Mexico in March and April 2018 may well be the greatest managing performance in MLS history. We had Ashtone Morgan starting, Nico Hasler playing serious minutes, Hamilton as the striker sub, Bradley at CB, Altidore playing hurt ... it's completely beyond belief, crazy, what he accomplished there.

(Also 2020 is a joke and should be discarded in any evaluation of anybody. But he obviously did a pretty decent job of handling a group that lived in hotels for five months.)

I thought he should have been the USMNT coach, and probably will be, yet.

I predict he will also be back here someday. See you down the road, Greg.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I mean, he could've signed a new contract a few months ago. The fact that he didn't when Schelotto was fired means he was probably their first phone call.
    Vanney was second. They wanted Kinnear to stay on but they couldn't agree on a contract. I think when Vanney heard Schelotto was out he decided with his family to wait and see what LA did just in case.

I don't think this the usual stuff everyone speculates on here : Curtis battles managers, ML$E is going to make us like Houston, etc. This sounds like an opportunity to go to his old club which is currently a disaster and get a lot of eyes on him so that when Berhalter boners the USMNT, he will be at the top of the short list.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I knew this would come someday, but sad to see it happen now.

The #vanneyout gang will now have a chance to see who we can actually lure to Toronto. They imagine a top world manager. My guess is far less than world class. Fortunately it won't be left only to Curtis.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Vanney was second. They wanted Kinnear to stay on but they couldn't agree on a contract. I think when Vanney heard Schelotto was out he decided with his family to wait and see what LA did just in case.

I don't think this the usual stuff everyone speculates on here : Curtis battles managers, ML$E is going to make us like Houston, etc. This sounds like an opportunity to go to his old club which is currently a disaster and get a lot of eyes on him so that when Berhalter boners the USMNT, he will be at the top of the short list.
    could Vanney be eyeing Europe, or Mexico?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ben - D.O.W. View Post
    For all of those who have been calling for this - who exactly do you think we're going to have come in and improve this position?

I think we're going to look back on this as the start of a rough period for TFC, but I'd love to be proven wrong.
    I think you might be right. Seems like he was extremely liked by the players. It'll be hard to replace.

https://twitter.com/Chris_Mavinga/st...08948974137344
    Last edited by RealG-TFC; 12-01-2020 at 11:44 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    could Vanney be eyeing Europe, or Mexico?
    He was rumored to be the Galaxy's new #1 priority yesterday morning after Kinnear turned the Gals down and this news comes 24 hours later.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RealG-TFC View Post
    I think you might be right. Seems like he was extremely liked by the players. It'll be hard to replace.

The link is broken, but I imagine it was this quote from Chris Mavinga on Twitter:

"Thank You Greg Vanney for everything you did for me on and off the field, You raised my level up, You trusted me when nobody trusted me and thanks to you i became a better man. I will miss you a lot. Thank you again ! #GregVanney#TFCLive

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wouldn’t a move to another MLS team conflict with Vanney’s statements relating to a desire for new challenges etc? What more could he achieve in MLS?
    Last edited by 69Chevy396; 12-01-2020 at 11:49 AM.