Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ben Olsen sure does suck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post

Let’s hope this is outright speculation. Otherwise it clearly signals a downgrade in the ambitions of this team.
    we would be going into the stupid era again,then again ali hired petki after marsh left and manning hired ali like 2 days after tim left with hardly any due diligence,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Olsen is chosen, its obvious they dont have clear ambitions in the future other than take our money, and provide a poor quality product

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Marc Dos Santos became available I would make him an offer. Has MLS experience both as head coach and assistant. Plus he is Canadian. I can't blame him for what goes on in Vancouver as they don't have the players there. Pep Guardiola couldn't win with that squad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Olsen has a pretty mixed record. Seemed like DC was great one year and terrible the next all the way through his time there. But if people are reacting against the fact he isn't some big name European coach, let's not do that. We don't necessarily need that, in fact those coaches generally seem to do worse. Vanney certainly wasn't and he turned out pretty well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Olsen has a 36% winning percentage over a 10 year coaching career. It isn't that he is an MLS retread, it is that he is an awful MLS retread.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    California, LA in particular, was home for him & his family for a good long time. I don't begrudge him that move.

Atlanta? Then I'd be pissed off.

Agreed

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wonder if Jurgen Klinsmann's name surfaces in the conversation?

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Olsen has a pretty mixed record. Seemed like DC was great one year and terrible the next all the way through his time there. But if people are reacting against the fact he isn't some big name European coach, let's not do that. We don't necessarily need that, in fact those coaches generally seem to do worse. Vanney certainly wasn't and he turned out pretty well.
    I don’t need a big name European coach but I would take a no-name or lightly experienced candidate over Olsen.

But for the love of god, let’s act like a big team and do this properly, not some budget strapped also ran.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ben Olsen would be a massive disappointment and cement my lack of faith in Manning/Curtis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I don’t need a big name European coach but I would take a no-name or lightly experienced candidate over Olsen.

But for the love of god, let’s act like a big team and do this properly, not some budget strapped also ran.
    I’d rather us promote internally than have to go to Olsen. In fact I’d rather us have a long-term interim for 2021 than scrape the bottom of the barrel with a Ben Olsen level candidate.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NK Toronto View Post
    I don't understand this obsession with coaching the USMNT as if that were the pinnacle of coaching achievement. That program has been stagnant for the past 15 years. The Man City reserve squad playing with 10 men could beat them. For the most part young and highly regarded coaches manage at the club level. A national team coach sees the players for a week or so once every few months. If Vanney were really interested in building his resume he should be pursuing a job with a 1st division club in one of the top 5 leagues in Europe. Success there would raise more eyebrows than anything that goes on at the USMNT, where the only serious competition is Mexico.
    You're missing the point. The point is to manage the USMNT, his home country's national team, to some success in the WC. If he managed to get them to the final 4 in 2026 then he'd be a God in US Soccer. That's more important for his image than managing a scrub team in a top 5 league because that's all he would get offered, if that even. However, Vanney isn't about his image. Vanney is about being part of a successful program. He wants the USMNT to do great things and I am sure if he had the choice, he'd like it to be under his watch rather than somebody elses.

To put it in our terms; imagine there was a Canadian MLS coach who was doing what Vanney has managed to do in his 6 years for some US based team. Now imagine that guy wanted to come to Toronto or one of the shittier Canadian MLS teams for more exposure to the CSA, who are probably too cheap to buy DAZN to watch US based matches. Now if that guy got the CMNT to the WC and if once there, somehow got us out of the group, he'd be a legend forever and would no doubt be very proud of that when looking back on his career.

*Also, it's correct that he would only work with a national team for a week or so every couple months but that also means he would have more family time and in case of a year like this one, not have to live in a hotel away from them for most of it.
    Last edited by Ultra & Proud; 12-02-2020 at 01:35 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also Olsen is trash. I spent the last 3 years laughing at DCU for keeping him around. I would prefer to not have to self immolate over us being idiotic and hiring this clown.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Domenec Torrent would be high on my list

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am sure if Ben Olsen's name is being thrown around Jason Kries's name will be too due to his ties to Bill at RSL.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Didn't he get run out of Flamengo for transforming a squad that won a league and a libertadores last year to one that would let in easy goals?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yo Manning, just dump Curtis so you can be free to hire Mike Petke.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post

Torrent got sick the exhaustive travel in MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just to be clear, I wasn't advocating for Olsen.

I think him, Petke, Kreis are all kinda in the same boat. Don't want any of them.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Greg does have his eye on the USMNT at some point down the road, it is going to an attractive job once again.What a moment for the USMNT today. Christian Pulisic (Chelsea), Sergino Dest (Barcelona), Gio Reyna (Borussia Dortmund) and Weston McKennie (Juventus) are all starting in Champions League games. All under 23 years old. The sky is bright moving forward. Hosting the 2026 will make it even more attractive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    If Greg does have his eye on the USMNT at some point down the road, it is going to an attractive job once again.What a moment for the USMNT today. Christian Pulisic (Chelsea), Sergino Dest (Barcelona), Gio Reyna (Borussia Dortmund) and Weston McKennie (Juventus) are all starting in Champions League games. All under 23 years old. The sky is bright moving forward. Hosting the 2026 will make it even more attractive.
    I think this perceived as a big job for Americans... we shouldn’t put it on a pedestal though. Jesse Marsch coaching in Europe deserves more cred. Par for the course they’d rather knaw off their own arm than hand over a coaching gig to an American.

Overall,I appreciate this is a decent crop of players for the US but I feel expectations are outsized and they are bound to be disappointed. A handful of players in CL will not make you competitive with Germany et al. If they are looking for a gutsy (but not World Cup winning performance) that may be in the cards.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 12-02-2020 at 04:02 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best of luck to Greg, not sure how this website never popped up before LOL

https://www.angelfire.com/ok4/lefflers/Amy.html
    Last edited by Red CB Toronto; 12-02-2020 at 05:38 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Olsen has a 36% winning percentage over a 10 year coaching career. It isn't that he is an MLS retread, it is that he is an awful MLS retread.
    Given that we have an American President and an American GM I would be shocked if we didn't get an American coach.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Possibilities:

We get Robin Fraser back somehow.
    We promote Jason Bent.
    We try for someone huge like Pochettino.

We do NOT hire Ben Olsen.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Given that we have an American President and an American GM I would be shocked if we didn't get an American coach.
    I don't really care what country our coach comes from, to be honest. I want the best coach for TFC. He could be from Canada, Uganda, Germany, Russia, Ghana, North Korea or even Atlantis, just aslong as he puts trophies on the shelf.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    I don't really care what country our coach comes from, to be honest. I want the best coach for TFC. He could be from Canada, Uganda, Germany, Russia, Ghana, North Korea or even Atlantis, just aslong as he puts trophies on the shelf.
    I would support hiring the coach of the national team of Atlantis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would support hiring the coach of the national team of Atlantis.
    if that was to happen it would be hard to keep this club above water.
    a BIG NO to OLSEN

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Maybe ...

An absolute disaster everywhere he coached. Got sacked after less than a full season at Bayern. The U.S. regressed during his tenure. And don't forget TFC hired him as a consultant and he recommended they hire Winter. He is generally regarded as a clown in Germany. Would sooner get Olsen.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Olsen getting a second chance is a particular dream of certain journos in the States.

The only box he ticks is he fits into the culture of the club vis-a-vis giving a shit about each other.

His preferred playing style does not.

Pure spec

How's Patrick Vierra doing?