Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No one should be surprised by tonight's result. We had a lot of things go our way this year with a lot of late one goal wins that were undeserved based on our play. In reality we were not as good as our record this year.

It's now time for a rebuild and not just tweaking. The Bradley and Jozy era are over.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fucking bollocks. Lousy end to the season, heartless performances in the last two games.

Marky Delgado goes down and our team falls apart.

Just a crap season, boys. Sorry, no other way to put it.

And fuck Caldwell and his austere “I shit more on my own than anyone” crap. I’ll take a critical announcer who’s balanced any day, but he actively shits on his home club constantly. Who the fuck wants someone’s Scottish grandmother for a color guy?

I do wonder sometimes about pegging so much money and necessity on players who’ve washed out of top European leagues. They disappear at the wrong times; Piatti was equally crap today. They’re supposed to be at another level than what was on the field today but I couldn’t see it, which means they weren’t doing anything close to their jobs.

My cynical side says there’s a loooot of Payola in football. I mean, it’s like night and day when we’re playing well. It’s not just a difference, it’s like we’re on a higher level.

Maybe we’re TOO tactically inclined. Maybe the fact that we really play a low-percentage, high payoff ball means we also rarely get that magical moment that breaks open a stalemate.

I’d also say we have papered over some obvious problems. We’ve never replaced Drew Moor with a proper back line leader; Omar has always been either great or terrible, same with Mavinga, neither absolutely consistent.

I suspect at this point Jozy is not good for team morale. He barely shows up, expecting to be able to just coast into space and finish like when he was young, so it’s like playing down a player. Bradley was okay today but he was awful in the last two games of the season after coming back.

When they doubled down on the wings early we should’ve pushed Osorio higher; they were using one of the DMs to double team our wingbacks, but that left space in the middle for a late arriver, and we didn’t even adjust to the most obvious of opportunities.

Just substandard. Maybe being on the road all year sapped them, but I suspect it’s more than that. We have some great players and coaching right now, but we lack heart. I don’t see killers, guys who’d crawl over glass to win a title. I see a bunch of guys who expect to win.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Just substandard. Maybe being on the road all year sapped them, but I suspect it’s more than that. We have some great players and coaching right now, but we lack heart. I don’t see killers, guys who’d crawl over glass to win a title. I see a bunch of guys who expect to win.
    I miss Drew Moor
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the sad thing is Nashville didnt beat us with more, TFC showed up with little or no effort, i was almost thinking we were down a man 10v11

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drew Moor. Who would’ve thought of all the pieces from that 2017 team he’d be the one I miss the most.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well...that was pathetic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gracos View Post
    the sad thing is Nashville didnt beat us with more, TFC showed up with little or no effort, i was almost thinking we were down a man 10v11
    That's what it certainly felt like right at the end of the game. Credit to Nashville, they played better than us and deserved the win.

It will be a good time to reassess the team. It feels almost like the end of an era.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

brutal end. nothing in this game that wasn't an already aparent issue in the team. The only times we looked dangerous in the last 5 games of the season was when we had kids who were mobile. We spent 120 minutes kicking the ball around our deep midfield being badly outchanced. Thats who we are at this point

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I refuse to believe Nashville played better, we just didnt show up at all and we defeated ourselves, please if anything can be done tear up this team

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Appreciate Vanney while you can, we're getting a new coach next year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nashville deserved the win, TFC have been shite for the last 4 or 5 games, time for changes, Lovitz played great, remind me why we got rid of him

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the goal, nobody in Red was thinking ahead, while Nashville was hungry and had a player in there to finish. I think they need to look in the offseason for an elite centreback from Europe to be the leader, because OG is past it. We need more pace on the wings all over the field as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noimpactinmtl View Post
    Appreciate Vanney while you can, we're getting a new coach next year.
    I’m going to stay steady on him not being the problem here. We need to clean house a bit. Unless he’s asking for Jozy to be extended, the Gonzalez signing, Gallardo, Piatti, etc he’s not the problem.

it’s up to Curtis and his staff to shift shitty contracts and source capable talent for next year else we’ll only get worse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    You know, I’m not terribly surprised or particularly upset. Maybe I should be?

But I feel like that’s entirely representative of what this team has been for a chunk of the season. Never championships material.
    Agreed. The only difference between tonight and the 1-0 wins we were getting 6 weeks ago was the late game penalty in our favour. Eventually your luck runs out as it did tonight. When I look back at our play this season I can think of only 2 dominant performances. The 3-0 win against Van and the 3-1 win over Columbus, which was in reality just a dominant 2nd half.

The fact of the matter is our point total masked our true quality and resulted in a lot of people believing that we were much better than we were. No one should be shocked by what happened tonight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We need to be younger, faster and braver.

So many times tonight they failed to make obviously good plays because they were just too slow and deliberate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    We need to be younger, faster and braver.

So many times tonight they failed to make obviously good plays because they were just too slow and deliberate.
    Well I think something has to re-ignite the desire to compete. A lot of this team looks like they feel they have nothing to play for and no point to prove.

I would say roster construction is more the issue than coaching but at times I question why we’ve been so loyal to a number of experienced players who repeatedly turn in average to below average work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What a disappointing game and end to the season. They were outplayed and deserved to lose. They need to replace quite a few players in the offseason.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So who is going to start the "player off-season roster discussion" thread?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad I didn't watch that last 30 minutes. My mental health just couldn't take it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watching KJ on TSN and he said he would not be surprised if Vanney were not coming back. The fact that he hasn't signed an extension leads me to believe he won't be back. Wonder if he and Ali are not on the same page.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Philly crapping the bed so far; it’s not so easy to win the double - 2017 was a once in a lifetime team; we have had a good 4 year run prior to this playoff loss, three MLS Finals and a Concacaf Final - we were unlucky in at least two of them, and even last years own goal changed the momentum —- other than Seattle, who had had it better for the last 4 years?!

It sucks large that we went out this way (believe me I am extremely pissed at this effort tonight), but this has just been a crapfest of a year all around and I simply want to be able to go back to a time when going to BMO with family and friends was a happy way to spend some time - we never even really established a “Post-Joes” home yet either; it just seems like a lifetime ago that we all could sit in Joes before a game and enjoy the whole experience together as TFC supporters.....I’m hoping for a 2021 return to some normalcy but I think it may be 2022 before full scale large gatherings return in some regular sense.....

This is our outlet for most of us - our distraction from the real world problems that we, and a lot of others are facing these days - I know that my family has had a death, a serious illness (Cancer), and job loss in my household all in the last 6 months - and I would say we are still fortunate that I’m still working and we have a roof over our heads and food to eat - I love my TFC and am devastated when they lose (especially like this) but if this year hasn’t taught us to have a little Perspective sometimes, than nothing will.....

Have a healthy and safe offseason everyone - be sad/mad with a bad loss, but then focus on your mental/physical (financial?!) well-being, to get through the next few months which will be hard for many people, for many reasons.

COYR and ALL FOR ONE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Glad I didn't watch that last 30 minutes. My mental health just couldn't take it.
    You didn't miss much......except maybe the last game in a TFC jersey for several players.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree TFC needs some changes, but I really don't trust Ali Curtis to do a good job with that.

And I still think there are motivational issues with Vanney (and Bradley). When things are going sideways, they often can't turn it around. If it were just a couple of players, you would say, those guys have problems, sub them out and drop them from the team when you can. When the majority of your team is playing listless in a one-off playoff game, the problem runs deeper.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    This is a joke. Embarrassing performance. And you can’t blame this on injuries.
    I've sadly felt like this for a while. So many embarrassing performances because simply lack of effort. I still laugh at the thought that people were comparing this team potentially being better than the 2017 one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Fucking bollocks. Lousy end to the season, heartless performances in the last two games.

Marky Delgado goes down and our team falls apart.

Just a crap season, boys. Sorry, no other way to put it.

And fuck Caldwell and his austere “I shit more on my own than anyone” crap. I’ll take a critical announcer who’s balanced any day, but he actively shits on his home club constantly. Who the fuck wants someone’s Scottish grandmother for a color guy?

I do wonder sometimes about pegging so much money and necessity on players who’ve washed out of top European leagues. They disappear at the wrong times; Piatti was equally crap today. They’re supposed to be at another level than what was on the field today but I couldn’t see it, which means they weren’t doing anything close to their jobs.

My cynical side says there’s a loooot of Payola in football. I mean, it’s like night and day when we’re playing well. It’s not just a difference, it’s like we’re on a higher level.

Maybe we’re TOO tactically inclined. Maybe the fact that we really play a low-percentage, high payoff ball means we also rarely get that magical moment that breaks open a stalemate.

I’d also say we have papered over some obvious problems. We’ve never replaced Drew Moor with a proper back line leader; Omar has always been either great or terrible, same with Mavinga, neither absolutely consistent.

I suspect at this point Jozy is not good for team morale. He barely shows up, expecting to be able to just coast into space and finish like when he was young, so it’s like playing down a player. Bradley was okay today but he was awful in the last two games of the season after coming back.

When they doubled down on the wings early we should’ve pushed Osorio higher; they were using one of the DMs to double team our wingbacks, but that left space in the middle for a late arriver, and we didn’t even adjust to the most obvious of opportunities.

I am not sure I fully agree. I think “too cerebral, like their coach” is fair, but I think they worked hard tonight. I actually think some strategic errors contributed - playing Richie in the left - He can do it but we lose his penetration because he cuts back to his right foot. And the second was starting Jozy. I agreed with it, but it was wrong.

Bigger though, than Vanneys errors, was Poz. He was poor and it didn’t seem to be what Nashville was doing. He was just poor.

And secondarily, our roster construction. We are all midfield. Bradley (who played well) Oso Poz Marky DeLeon Piatti and Jozy played wide in a 4-4-2 for a lot of the game. No wingers. No pace really, except Richie and he was on the wrong wing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by tfcfans View Post
    Philly crapping the bed so far; it’s not so easy to win the double - 2017 was a once in a lifetime team; we have had a good 4 year run prior to this playoff loss, three MLS Finals and a Concacaf Final - we were unlucky in at least two of them, and even last years own goal changed the momentum —- other than Seattle, who had had it better for the last 4 years?!

It sucks large that we went out this way (believe me I am extremely pissed at this effort tonight), but this has just been a crapfest of a year all around and I simply want to be able to go back to a time when going to BMO with family and friends was a happy way to spend some time - we never even really established a “Post-Joes” home yet either; it just seems like a lifetime ago that we all could sit in Joes before a game and enjoy the whole experience together as TFC supporters.....I’m hoping for a 2021 return to some normalcy but I think it may be 2022 before full scale large gatherings return in some regular sense.....

This is our outlet for most of us - our distraction from the real world problems that we, and a lot of others are facing these days - I know that my family has had a death, a serious illness (Cancer), and job loss in my household all in the last 6 months - and I would say we are still fortunate that I’m still working and we have a roof over our heads and food to eat - I love my TFC and am devastated when they lose (especially like this) but if this year hasn’t taught us to have a little Perspective sometimes, than nothing will.....

Have a healthy and safe offseason everyone - be sad/mad with a bad loss, but then focus on your mental/physical (financial?!) well-being, to get through the next few months which will be hard for many people, for many reasons.

COYR and ALL FOR ONE
    Well said...some perspective...see you for the off-season rants and speculation...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    On the goal, nobody in Red was thinking ahead, while Nashville was hungry and had a player in there to finish. I think they need to look in the offseason for an elite centreback from Europe to be the leader, because OG is past it. We need more pace on the wings all over the field as well.
    “On the goal, nobody in Red was thinking ahead, while Nashville was hungry and had a player in there”
    This happened a fair bit in their end too

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NK Toronto View Post
    Watching KJ on TSN and he said he would not be surprised if Vanney were not coming back. The fact that he hasn't signed an extension leads me to believe he won't be back. Wonder if he and Ali are not on the same page.
    maybe curtis should go.his signings have been shit,we needed a winger and striker for 2 years,and what do we get is all star mullins ,gallardo,and slow foot gonzales.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Well I think something has to re-ignite the desire to compete. A lot of this team looks like they feel they have nothing to play for and no point to prove.

I would say roster construction is more the issue than coaching but at times I question why we’ve been so loyal to a number of experienced players who repeatedly turn in average to below average work.
    I think that’s harsh. Not my point of view at all

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing

That game

at BMO

in front of our crowd

We win

Here's hoping for a vaccine and some sense of normality at some point next season

I'll be all in on the "what we need to change" threads when they come up.

But, tonight, all power to guys & staff who powered through a season, came within a game of a major trophy and were very good for much of a season that nobody could have foreseen. Shitting on players or staff or coaches tonight just isn't worth my mental energy.