Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Regular Season Phase 2 Game 10 NYC "@" TFC Wed Oct 28 7:30pm - Take A Deep Breath

Have At It People

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question is are we still playing for the shield or are we resting and getting healthy for the playoffs? Philly controls their own destiny with 3 to go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would be significantly reducing playing time over the last 3 games for all of our key players such as Poz, Osorio, Delgado, Piatti, Akinola, Omar, Laryea, Mavinga and Auro. Unless these guys are healthy and playing I don't believe we have a shot at MLS Cup. Home field advantage is less important this year since there are no fans and no games at BMO.

This will also allow Vanney to assess some of the young guys as well as those on the bubble.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NK Toronto View Post
    I would be significantly reducing playing time over the last 3 games for all of our key players such as Poz, Osorio, Delgado, Piatti, Akinola, Omar, Laryea, Mavinga and Auro. Unless these guys are healthy and playing I don't believe we have a shot at MLS Cup. Home field advantage is less important this year since there are no fans and no games at BMO.

This will also allow Vanney to assess some of the young guys as well as those on the bubble.
    Homefield is huge, even in Hartford, means they would not face travel during these Covid times, especially if it was into some of the hot spots.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Homefield is huge, even in Hartford, means they would not face travel during these Covid times, especially if it was into some of the hot spots.
    I agree, plus avoiding plastic turf, with all the injuries we already have.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We melt down in the next 3 games & get caught by Orlando, do any of you REALLY want to see our team go down into that Covid cesspool, to play in front of fans, all for the sake of some rest?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

We need to keep pushing for the Shield. We should be able to compete with a full squad these next two games. Not having to travel should help with recovery.

Hopefully then we are in a better position going into that final game to rest players before the playoff run.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keep in mind we have 5 subs each game. Sure yeah a bit of squad rotation both tomorrow and Sunday, but no need to completely flip the starting 11 around.

Rotate 4-5 if it makes sense, otherwise steady as she goes.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Delgado and Osorio....you don't realize how much contribution to the midfield they provide until they are not there. They also make up for Bradley's lack of speed when all playing together. Can't wait until Oso is back and hopefully Marky is recovered soon too. You could tell Delgado was burnt out a bit and a little injured but playing through it the last couple games because he was not his usual self. If we can't get the midfield strong again I think this will be a short playoff run.

We also need at least Akinola to stay healthy since we can't count on Altidore. Mullins running at defenders just doesn't strike the same fear into teams as a healthy Akinola or Altidore would. Without that danger up top teams can focus on putting more pressure on Poz and Piatti.

CB's....we need Mavinga back as soon as possible but if our offensive pressure is good on teams it should take some heat off our CB situation. Ciman did well recently although he still loves to slide too much and he is a red card waiting to happen as always.

The result against Philly was no surprise given our current situation and who we had on the field last weekend along with a bunch of those guys just not having a good game when they had the opportunity to play and make a case for themselves.

The good thing is our team seems to know how to grind out games and they always have a decent run then one game where they have a stinker so hopefully that was it and we get stronger again from here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From the Match Preview on Torontofc.ca: "The club is hopeful to have Ayo Akinola and his eight goals this season back in the lineup against New York City. While Chris Mavinga, Eriq Zavaleta, Pablo Piatti and Jonathan Osorio are all questionable."

At least "questionable" is better than "Out"...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would prioritize being healthy over home field.

Looking at the standings, Phily is the only team (and maybe Colombus) that can jump us. It’s almost certain we finish ahead of the West. The cost of not winning here is potentially one road game in the Northeast US.

I would try hard to win one of the remaining games and devote the rest of our time to being ready when playoffs arrive
    Last edited by ag futbol; 10-27-2020 at 12:24 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been against this season from the very (re)start - but we've played it, we might as well go for the shield.

Looking at our schedule (NYCFC, Miami, Redbulls) vs Philly's (Columbus, NER, Chicago) I don't hate our chances.
    TFC management changes: "like adding a new fish to your aquarium of failure." - Shakes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Injury update...

Having Piatti out for the rest of the regular season will hurt. Who's next in line to play the wing spots at this point...? Oso, Laryea, Nelson? Gallardo can't cut it, Endoh hasn't shown much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would use Laryea as a winger with Piatti out. Auro and Gallacher can play as fullbacks.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    I would use Laryea as a winger with Piatti out. Auro and Gallacher can play as fullbacks.
    I would be up for this for Laryea to be used in an attacking role. As far as fullbacks go though Morrow is back so I would say Morrow/Auro with Gallacher as backup.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Auro is out for Wednesday as a result of the yellow card on Saturday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As a side note, what did everyone think of Marshall-Rutty last game? I thought he did alright and didn’t try to overplay things. Looked pretty sharp in that attempt on net too.

Still a tad gangly and awkward at his age but makes me excited what we’ll see next year.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    As a side note, what did everyone think of Marshall-Rutty last game?....
    By that point, it was all one blur that didn't have enough alcohol.

Day before presser with Vanney - think he got a haircut

https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2020/1...?autoplay=true

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Morrow is also back now. In the past I think he's played on the right side a few times when required.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two problems with this team. 1. There are a lot of players who can't stay healthy. Jozy, Mavinga, Akinola, Morrow, Piatti are all injury prone. 2. We lack depth. i.e. Philadelphia. What's the point in home field advantage if we have to field a lineup like we did Saturday?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reasons have been given in this thread and others. Regardless, its not going to happen. The only time this team gave up on going for a possible win was that one game against Houston & it was referenced as a serious mistake by all involved during the end of that 2018 season interviews & retrospectives.

The best team possible, in the eyes of the coaching staff, will be put forward tomorrow night to get the 3 points.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Reasons have been given in this thread and others. Regardless, its not going to happen. The only time this team gave up on going for a possible win was that one game against Houston & it was referenced as a serious mistake by all involved during the end of that 2018 season interviews & retrospectives.

The best team possible, in the eyes of the coaching staff, will be put forward tomorrow night to get the 3 points.
    Yup. Try to win every game with the best team possible is the mentality. Win the last 3 hopefully and make Philly need a perfect schedule as well if they want the Shield.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tonight should be a good test of whether last game was a temporary blip or luck running out.
    🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am having difficulty trying to assess where this team is. When I saw the lineup vs. Phila I didn't expect a result, but I didn't expect a 5 nil loss either, which could have been worse if not for a few good saves by Q. We had gone through a good stretch there without a loss but looking at the team's play over the period we had a lot of good fortune on our side, winning games where we were outplayed (NYCFC), or where the other team missed a penalty (NER), or where we had a penalty overturned by VAR (CINCI). That was also the game Ciman almost scored an own goal from midfield. Based on our play in those games we probably deserved only 2 points rather than nine.

I really have no idea what to expect from this team going forward. They are a handicappers nightmare
    Last edited by NK Toronto; 10-27-2020 at 08:02 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Take a Deep Breath

Hold it

Let it Out slowly

Breathe normally

Look around

Be thankful for anything or anybody you have in your life

Consider smiling for a moment

Its Game Day

Time to ride again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like Piatti, but if he doesn’t play another match this year and we take his option I will blow a gasket

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    I like Piatti, but if he doesn’t play another match this year and we take his option I will blow a gasket
    I agree, the only silver lining potentially in this is Piatti will be challenged in any league to find a better place for him. With the injury history and now this (I can’t believe it was a training issue), it potentially justifies trying to secure him as a Tam. I would do that in a heartbeat.

And then we try to find our next under 22 DP.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    I agree, the only silver lining potentially in this is Piatti will be challenged in any league to find a better place for him. With the injury history and now this (I can’t believe it was a training issue), it potentially justifies trying to secure him as a Tam. I would do that in a heartbeat.

And then we try to find our next under 22 DP.
    What is Piatti making, 1.5M, that's not too much of a hit to pick up. Think he is making the same as Victor was before he left for the middle east.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    What is Piatti making, 1.5M, that's not too much of a hit to pick up. Think he is making the same as Victor was before he left for the middle east.
    The salary cap is also going up next year by about $600K (inclusive of increases to GAM). With that, we should hopefully be able to free up some TAM for Piatti, particularly if we can clear out or reduce some of the larger salaries for players like Ciman, Zavaleta, Mullins, and Gallardo.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)