Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Results 181 to 193 of 193
  1. #181
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    3,947
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    many of the injuries - like Piatti and Oso - certainly appear to be from the crazy schedule. And while Bradley's form is shocking, the two injuries he has had over the past ten months were both very serious; he had barely recovered from the broken foot (with which he payed most of the MLS CUP) when that dirty tackle did his knee. He is clearly a step or two behind the pace of play at the moment but I'm not prepared to write him off just yet; he is still recovering. You possibly can blame the coaching staff for not rotating or the schedule, but at our best we move the ball quickly and penetrate. We need to get that team on the field playing that kind of soccer.

  2. #182
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,179
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    The backup plan was, in varying degrees, Bradley & Fraser & Gallardo and all 3 have been found wanting.
    On reflection, yes that was the plan, just frustrating, we are better than the shambles we have seen playing as of late, damn injuries, we just see other teams progressing, and I feel TFC have stagnated somewhat.

  3. #183
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    85
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    One thing that stood out to me on Bradley, was that the decision making wasn't where it needed to be. Thinking specifically about the time he lost the ball twice in a few seconds right at the edge of the box. I'm sure part of that is missing Osorio and Delgado who help do so much of the midfield lifting, but it felt like he wasn't making the right decisions quick enough.

  4. #184
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    F5
    Posts
    11,564
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Vanney was on the Caldwell, KJ & the other guy show about 6 weeks ago and said he would like to have done more rotation but you can't do that when you are fighting for the shield.

    My issue is we seem to be always fighting for something - either the shield or to get into the playoffs.
    I really can’t accept Vanney’s line of reasoning here. As years go by we all see success first and foremost as MLS Cup or CCL wins, I would prioritize those first. How motivated are the starters if the coach is willing to pile drive them into the ground for the name of a regular season game?

    Agree we always seem to be fighting for something and I would argue we are sometimes too focused on the immediate task in front of us. My biggest gripe has always been our penchant for playing unexciting backup vets in the place of youth, arguably because the veterans are perceived as marginally better and more consistent with experience. You would hope if you played the kids and gave them the proper attention they would grow into something better and more useful than the other options.

    But on the other hand we’ve had some good years. How happy would we all be if Jordan Hamilton missed a few sitters and we missed playoffs but had the “satisfaction” of seeing some of these guys start to hit their stride only to be sold to a team in Europe? Maybe that’s an extreme “all-or-nothing” thought process but it has crossed my mind.

  5. #185
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    3,219
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    There’s too much dead money on this roster and we’ve played too well when fully fit this season for me to say Vanney is the issue. Ciman, Zavaleta, Bono, Mullins, Piatti, Gallardo, Jozy, even Bradley are all eating significant cash that could be used for better players.

    I don’t buy blaming Vanney. I’d have sacked him halfway through 2019. But right now? This is not on Vanney at all. This is on Ali Curtis and the front office to rectify unreliable and over compensated players on the roster.

  6. #186
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    521
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I really can’t accept Vanney’s line of reasoning here. As years go by we all see success first and foremost as MLS Cup or CCL wins, I would prioritize those first. How motivated are the starters if the coach is willing to pile drive them into the ground for the name of a regular season game?

    Agree we always seem to be fighting for something and I would argue we are sometimes too focused on the immediate task in front of us. My biggest gripe has always been our penchant for playing unexciting backup vets in the place of youth, arguably because the veterans are perceived as marginally better and more consistent with experience. You would hope if you played the kids and gave them the proper attention they would grow into something better and more useful than the other options.

    But on the other hand we’ve had some good years. How happy would we all be if Jordan Hamilton missed a few sitters and we missed playoffs but had the “satisfaction” of seeing some of these guys start to hit their stride only to be sold to a team in Europe? Maybe that’s an extreme “all-or-nothing” thought process but it has crossed my mind.

    Playing for the shield is winning a trophy... who knew where the league or season was going. If the payoffs blow up, at least he could have said we won the shield. We need points against Miami so Columbus can’t catch us. And if the shield is gone (likely is but not totally) rest players. Take a run for the Cup but at the very least qualify for Champions League and the season is not a total bust.

  7. #187
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Somewhere, Anywhere.
    Posts
    10,204
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    Playing for the shield is winning a trophy... who knew where the league or season was going. If the payoffs blow up, at least he could have said we won the shield. We need points against Miami so Columbus can’t catch us. And if the shield is gone (likely is but not totally) rest players. Take a run for the Cup but at the very least qualify for Champions League and the season is not a total bust.
    The game against Forge will be big regardless of how the rest of this season goes and on any given day the Reds should beat them. Playing Champions League football should always be the goal for this team.

    Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

  8. #188
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    341
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I waited to share my opinion.

    First I would like to remind everyone that, TFC is dealing with a lot more than normal. They havent had a home cooked meal and been able to play in their home stadium all season- This is very important to understand- as most games are really away.
    Nelson looks like to be a player. I enjoyed him putting defenders on their heels and his deft touches were awesome.

    Fraser is no good- I believe the goal scored was his fault- as he made a pass directly back to one of their players and I believe the play before he gave it away directly to them again.
    Bradley- unfortunately doesnt look good, its nice to have him stand up for his players, but since he has returned- TFC's game has become predictable and stale. Bradley also had two terrible passes that killed momentum TFC was building.

    Westerberg- I feel bad for him- and will def miss him when he is gone- yes he lets some goals in -but boy has he come in clutch and always makes huge saves 1 V. 1 somehow.

    OG- only good for being tall- cant connect on headers from corners and is clumsy -Mavinga is so important

    Ciman- too many risky challenges, not enough good passing from him.

    Gallagher- looked bad- except for the last 10 minutes when he was going forward seemed to have some nice skill and some nice tight turns to escape the defenders.


    Overall- Yes vanney and a lot of us shot ourselves in the foot talking about the shield pre-maturely.

    Yes I have to question training session/tactics as it seems a lot of players get hurt on non-game days.
    I have to blame vanney for running delgado and osario into the ground- when he could have strategically alternated between one of them while working bradley/frasher/DeLeon in the midfield.

    How he didnt let Auro play last game when he wasnt going to play this game doesnt make sense.

    Laryea -first time ive seen him make terrible passes in a row, no burst - should have been playing where morrow was playing -I do not get this.

    Morrow- If Laryea was playing in morrow's position, I have no doubt in my mind that cross that he over shot pozo would have been made from Laryea.
    Over the past three seasons- Ive seen morrow connect on one cross successfully and that seemed to be unintentional.
    Ive numerous times TFC had numbers going down the left and morrow always would put the ball into the defenders feet, not even get the ball off the ground or miss the cross completely .

    Pozuelo -least effective game- had a feeling if morrow got him that simple pass when it was like 3 on 1 he woulda made something happen.

    Overall, have to question the line up the last three games and running our guys into the ground, Osorio, Delgado, and Mavinga(should know to treat him with kid gloves).

    Yes we are missing some starters, however overall, nelson should have started with maybe shafelburg to create speed and should have swapped laryea and morrow , i really this alone would have changed the game and w

  9. #189
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Section 110 Row 24
    Posts
    6,825
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FootBallAZ View Post
    I waited to share my opinion.

    we were without 8 starters. This isn't a European league where teams have another capable starting 11 sitting on their bench. There were many factors that played into yesterday's match that don't even include anything you mentioned above.

    TFC is one of the very few team in MLS that could still be dominate without having 2/3 "star" players in the lineup

    But to have 8 starters out - that is something we learned in 2018 - that even TFC can deal with.

    Also - what's up with this? the guy is here for at least 2 more year:
    Quote Originally Posted by FootBallAZ View Post

    Westerberg- I feel bad for him- and will def miss him when he is gone- yes he lets some goals in -but boy has he come in clutch and always makes huge saves 1 V. 1 somehow.
    Last edited by jabbronies; 10-30-2020 at 08:39 AM.

  10. #190
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    599
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    The biggest thing we learnt from this game was who will not be touching the field come playoff time.

  11. #191
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Section 110 Row 24
    Posts
    6,825
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    The biggest thing we learnt from this game was who will not be touching the field come playoff time.

    if surrounded by starters - these are good players.

  12. #192
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,156
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    There’s too much dead money on this roster and we’ve played too well when fully fit this season for me to say Vanney is the issue. Ciman, Zavaleta, Bono, Mullins, Piatti, Gallardo, Jozy, even Bradley are all eating significant cash that could be used for better players.

    I don’t buy blaming Vanney. I’d have sacked him halfway through 2019. But right now? This is not on Vanney at all. This is on Ali Curtis and the front office to rectify unreliable and over compensated players on the roster.
    Totally agree on all this!

  13. #193
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    The Ocean at the End of the Lane
    Posts
    1,068
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    There’s too much dead money on this roster and we’ve played too well when fully fit this season for me to say Vanney is the issue. Ciman, Zavaleta, Bono, Mullins, Piatti, Gallardo, Jozy, even Bradley are all eating significant cash that could be used for better players.

    I don’t buy blaming Vanney. I’d have sacked him halfway through 2019. But right now? This is not on Vanney at all. This is on Ali Curtis and the front office to rectify unreliable and over compensated players on the roster.
    i agree - except for Piatti - i've quite liked his run of play and tenacity

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •