Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    Prob is that it was all speculation and rumor.
    He prob never wanted to come here and money might not be the issue so much as having available targets...
    I know...I am just using him as an example.

We are going to have to overpay a mercenary to come here. Plain and simple. Because we are not the most desireable place for players to come and play for various reasons. MLS, Turf, New Franchise...whatever.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep, at this point in the season i dont have any prob what so ever with getting/over paying an effective gun for hire

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why must we always look over to the old continent to sign players... Footy is played in just about every part of this goddamn world .. why not look elsewhere .. Some young and experienced striker from south america, central america would love the chance to prove himself here in the mls in the hopes he gets seen by european clubs...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Screw it, let's offer Christine Sinclair the chance to be our striker. You could argue she's too short, too light but she bagged 93 goals in 122 appearances for Canada.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gtaguy View Post
    why must we always look over to the old continent to sign players... Footy is played in just about every part of this goddamn world .. why not look elsewhere .. Some young and experienced striker from south america, central america would love the chance to prove himself here in the mls in the hopes he gets seen by european clubs...
    If it were only that easy.
    it also drives me crazy that NYRB are scouting 3 costa rican u-20s and we are looking at Dickov who doesnt want to sign.
    Please pull out a surprise MO, you did so well at the start of the season

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fuck him and move on.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    fuck him and move on.....
    QFT

Mo's been putting all his eggs in one basket...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it were only that easy.
    it also drives me crazy that NYRB are scouting 3 costa rican u-20s and we are looking at Dickov who doesnt want to sign.
    Please pull out a surprise MO, you did so well at the start of the season
    Buddy are you kidding me??? He did fuck all at the start of the season and we only got players almost 2 month after we started the season.... you think that is good??

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Christ, the quality of the players were high and made an immediate impact.
    Dude, im not interested in getting into some sort of discussion about how you rank Mo or Carver or anything MLSE.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank god. You'd think he's Cristiano Ronaldo or something the way he wasted so much of our time. It looks like the Brett Favre situation will be resolved in a shorter period of time than this clown.

And yeah, it really is quite amazing how other teams manage to get their transactions done in less than a week where as it takes us 3 months just to get the guy to sign elsewhere. The quality of the signings is irrelevant. Seriously, Dickov hasn't been setting the CCC on fire or anything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    I know...I am just using him as an example.

We are going to have to overpay a mercenary to come here. Plain and simple. Because we are not the most desireable place for players to come and play for various reasons. MLS, Turf, New Franchise...whatever.
    Toronto is plenty desirable. Seriously, outside of New York and Los Angeles (and possibly Chicago) even the most ignorant of football players would choose Toronto over most other cities.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Toronto is plenty desirable. Seriously, outside of New York and Los Angeles (and possibly Chicago) even the most ignorant of football players would choose Toronto over most other cities.

I disagree. I think the overall perception is that Toronto and Canada is still a footballing backwater.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by arbogast View Post
    I disagree. I think the overall perception is that Toronto and Canada is still a footballing backwater.
    If the players are coming to play in the MLS, do you think they care about that the city is a footballing backwater? All they care for is a paycheque.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Youd be surprised.
    Paycheques are hardly worth it anyways, why have crap pay AND be in the middle of nowhere...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The middle of nowhere? A person would have to be utterly illiterate and be ignorant of the highest level to believe that Toronto is in the middle of nowhere. Maybe in the 60's it was considered the middle of nowhere in terms of international cities. Also, I hardly think that Dickov stayed in the city for several days, came to watch a TFC match and concluded that Toronto was in the middle of nowhere and didn't care about football. The problems we face in attracting players is the same that every team in the MLS faces (aside from LA and maybe NY). Yet Dallas, New England, and heck even Columbus don't seem to have a problem in signing foreign players in a reasonable amount of time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Central and South America is where Mo has to look... That's where the Juan Toja's are... Young and extremely talented. Same with the Gambians in New England.

Mo has to realize this is a feeder league.. Need to find young talented stars of tomorrow. I'll take the two Gambians over Dickov any day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sept 15 may be the MLS transfer window closure, and maybe its me, but dont ya think its a bit late to wait till sept 14 to pull the trigger when they season could end a month later for most teams?

Give up on dickov and move on to the next rumor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MFG1 View Post
    Sept 15 may be the MLS transfer window closure, and maybe its me, but dont ya think its a bit late to wait till sept 14 to pull the trigger when they season could end a month later for most teams?

Give up on dickov and move on to the next rumor.
    Aug. 15 is the transfer window deadline...

From the Regulations...

An MLS player may be transferred or loaned at any time to a team outside the League. The registration windows - the dates between which MLS may request the transfer certificate of an international player are as follows:

January 15 - April 15 (Primary Window)
    June 15 - August 15 (Secondary Window)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

next friday is the deadline

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    The middle of nowhere? A person would have to be utterly illiterate and be ignorant of the highest level to believe that Toronto is in the middle of nowhere. Maybe in the 60's it was considered the middle of nowhere in terms of international cities. Also, I hardly think that Dickov stayed in the city for several days, came to watch a TFC match and concluded that Toronto was in the middle of nowhere and didn't care about football. The problems we face in attracting players is the same that every team in the MLS faces (aside from LA and maybe NY). Yet Dallas, New England, and heck even Columbus don't seem to have a problem in signing foreign players in a reasonable amount of time.
    Dude i love this city and this country but take a look at Ricketts alone, his dudes in England still refer to Canada as America. The fact of the matter is we will always be dwarfed by the image that the states has, its a fact. The majority of people dont know anything about Canada, let alone Toronto. Ive spoken to a ton of Americans and youd be amazed how little they know about their neighbour above, how can we expect the same from some footie player from an impoverished south/central american or african country.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by profit89 View Post
    Aug. 15 is the transfer window deadline...

From the Regulations...

An MLS player may be transferred or loaned at any time to a team outside the League. The registration windows - the dates between which MLS may request the transfer certificate of an international player are as follows:

January 15 - April 15 (Primary Window)
    June 15 - August 15 (Secondary Window)

Thats what I thought,(August 15 not sept15, it was just posted up on this thread) my point is and still applies, then it doesnt make much sense even to pull the trigger next thursday or wait until then, excuses or not,considering our situation along with Cunningham stil in the F***ing line up

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by profit89 View Post
    Central and South America is where Mo has to look... That's where the Juan Toja's are... Young and extremely talented. Same with the Gambians in New England.

Mo has to realize this is a feeder league.. Need to find young talented stars of tomorrow. I'll take the two Gambians over Dickov any day.
    gambia is in africa...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well time to move on......Gerba~!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ben_vw View Post
    gambia is in africa...
    yeah i know

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dude i love this city and this country but take a look at Ricketts alone, his dudes in England still refer to Canada as America. The fact of the matter is we will always be dwarfed by the image that the states has, its a fact. The majority of people dont know anything about Canada, let alone Toronto. Ive spoken to a ton of Americans and youd be amazed how little they know about their neighbour above, how can we expect the same from some footie player from an impoverished south/central american or african country.
    So if some ignorant people think Toronto is in America, why is that a disadvantage? All the other teams are in America in reality. My problem isn't what people wrongly perceive Toronto to be on the international stage. My problem is that we seem to be the only team in the MLS that has a hard time attracting foreign players. If people are willing to come to the MLS, I have a hard time imagining those people saying no to Toronto because they think its worse off than Dallas, Boston or Columbus.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fucked if I know.
    Could be we are using the wrong bait?
    Barking up the wrong trees?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OMY, that's not really the case. I grew up in the third world (Libya and Angola) and also lived in Greece and England. Canada has an enormous and respected foreign profile; we're seen as non-ignorant, quieter Americans.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess it can be from person to person (like anything else).
    I just think that sometimes we over state our importance in worldview (especially in the Footie worldview) in this forum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very upsetting. Not that I was excited about Dickov, but I would like Mo to land someone. That being said, just when we thought it was too late in the spring he hit us with a series of good signings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    OMY, that's not really the case. I grew up in the third world (Libya and Angola) and also lived in Greece and England. Canada has an enormous and respected foreign profile; we're seen as non-ignorant, quieter Americans.
    Exactly. I have many colleagues and relatives in the UK, Europe and Asia. None of them think that Canada is some sort of a backward country. Most people have a fairly accurate image of Toronto at the very least.