Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Zavs did play well tonight. Barely heard his name at all which is a good thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That call against OG is everything that is wrong in football at the moment... you have to be able to exist to defend. Omar played that perfectly and shame on Caldwell for acting like he had some other option. The Cincy player goes down on his own and Omar got the ball and BOTH refs agreed eventually.

But props to Caldwell for calling out the lame back 3 that Vanney can not get out of his system. How many times do you need to see it fail? Sure take out Pozuelo.. but bring in a midfield runner with energy to take up space. Cincy had made mistake after mistake all game long when under pressure and going to the back 3 gives them nothing but time and space in the midfield. You're begging for something weird to happen.

And boy did something weird happen. What was Ciman (who by the way was already on a yellow card) doing tonight. He was inches away from scoring an own goal from the midfield, played a corner out with no reason, not to mention he was defending Hagglund on the final corner that he almost put in... Every time he got near the ball disaster struck. No more as a late game sub please.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    This season, the Supporter's shield will be VERY important - not having to travel and deal with Covid all the way through the playoffs would be more important for us then for US based teams.
    Understood but with MLS 2 games a week these guys need a breather. Home field will be of little use if we burn out our best players.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by benito View Post
    Very surprised that var overruled the pk. It was a complete dive but there was early contact. In the end, var got it right.

The last few minutes were really ugly. They did everything they could to give the game away. Stop trying to add a center back in the last few minutes as it invites the opponents to attack more and gives away ball possession. And it’s also important not to score an own goal on a back pass! Lol
    Exactly, Gonzalez had his arm out even though it was a very soft penalty. VAR often won't overturn a play like that. We were lucky as hell, and unnecessarily so, considering the relative quality of the teams.

Seriously WTF is it with Vanney still tossing on more CBs at the end of the game when we're up by one? When has that EVER worked well? Often TFC plays so well; we often see good tactics and personnel decisions. But on some things, Vanney is still mind-numbingly thickheaded.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would actually prefer Zavaleta being the 3rd centerback. Ciman scares me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Incredible how many games we won this year, when we played ugly, and created very few real scoring chances.
    This never happened in any other season I remember.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jayden Nelson's 1st start was expectedly a bit timid going forward, but he played it smart and safe.
    Looking forward to seeing the new kids develop.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Might be called for. But keep in mind he’s 18. A prospect of his (alleged) quality should improve pretty quickly if he’s doing the right things.

I worry, given the way he carries himself, he was always told he is “the best” and now he’s on a team where he isn’t the best player and needs to track back, defend hard, make supporting runs even knowing he’s not always getting the ball... and he’s not used to doing those things. That’s really where he needs to be focused IMO.

The attacking skills are there just needs to be translated into end product. Otherwise he just ends up being Mo Babouli.
    I was thinking exactly the same thing about Nelson. We've seen the same thing in the past with a number of other young players who were developed in Canada. Even Becker when he was here, and I can name a couple of others. Decent players, but after being medium-sized fish in a very small pond for too long, they seem to carry themselves in a way that is not appropriate, given their relative skill, strength and experience in MLS. Don't jog around when TFC is obviously supposed to be high-pressing. Sprint when you're a young guy trying to prove yourself. (I've seen the same from Akinola at times.) And don't repeatedly dribble into a thicket of opposing players, when a couple of your senior teammates are there and waiting for a pass.

As others warned before the game, again TFC played down to the level of the opposition. They were more lucky than they should have been at the end. Cincinnati is no pushover at home this year: before this, their 4 home games this season were all 0-0 draws, incl. against good teams like Columbus.

A couple of other TFC players were also playing too loosey-goosey tonight. Like letting the ball run on when you receive a pass, directly turning with it: doesn't work when Cincinnati is pressing and marking tight.

We've seen much better from TFC. Hopefully they'll show that again when needed. We've won a bunch of games by one-goal margins. For the rest of the season, and especially in the playoffs, those can easily go the other way. I believe that TFC can dominate most of these games, but they don't always show it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Understood but with MLS 2 games a week these guys need a breather. Home field will be of little use if we burn out our best players.
    But at least we would win the shield which is in itself an accomplishment. We are not a good turf team and I would hate to have to play in Seattle again on that sh**** field.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Three 1-0 wins in a row. Good results, but nervy. We need to be more clinical.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    I barely recognized Hagglund.
    Great to see him back on the pitch after recovering from Covid-19.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    I was thinking exactly the same thing about Nelson. We've seen the same thing in the past with a number of other young players who were developed in Canada. Even Becker when he was here, and I can name a couple of others. Decent players, but after being medium-sized fish in a very small pond for too long, they seem to carry themselves in a way that is not appropriate, given their relative skill, strength and experience in MLS. Don't jog around when TFC is obviously supposed to be high-pressing. Sprint when you're a young guy trying to prove yourself. (I've seen the same from Akinola at times.) And don't repeatedly dribble into a thicket of opposing players, when a couple of your senior teammates are there and waiting for a pass.

As others warned before the game, again TFC played down to the level of the opposition. They were more lucky than they should have been at the end. Cincinnati is no pushover at home this year: before this, their 4 home games this season were all 0-0 draws, incl. against good teams like Columbus.

A couple of other TFC players were also playing too loosey-goosey tonight. Like letting the ball run on when you receive a pass, directly turning with it: doesn't work when Cincinnati is pressing and marking tight.

We've seen much better from TFC. Hopefully they'll show that again when needed. We've won a bunch of games by one-goal margins. For the rest of the season, and especially in the playoffs, those can easily go the other way. I believe that TFC can dominate most of these games, but they don't always show it.
    They just really need to turn the dial up on his expected intensity in games. Without the ball it has to be hard work. With the ball it needs to be decisive. Make up your mind right away. Drive to the end line, cross. Cut in, shoot. No opportunity? Move it back to your teammate quickly. Prove you can contribute in those ways, win the respect of your teammates. Worry about being the next Ronaldinho another day.

I can see why he’s a highly regarded prospect but man, he’s got to realize there is a huuuge graveyard of talented Canadian prospects who never put the work in to be Pro. He should talk to Richie Laryea about the value of an opportunity and how rarely they come along.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NK Toronto View Post
    But at least we would win the shield which is in itself an accomplishment. We are not a good turf team and I would hate to have to play in Seattle again on that sh**** field.
    Oh for sure. And hey, I don’t want to suggest we suddenly send everyone to take a nap and say forget the shield entirely.

I just think at this juncture, after all the games played in a row, you need to work in a rest day for Osorio, Pozuelo, etc...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    I'm surprised he wasn't loaned for that short one month Cpl season. Could've gotten 7 games in, at a lower level, and still returned this season. Just like Julian Dunn.
    I have a pretty good feeling the CPL wanted to limit the CPL loads. Jayden, Jordan Peruzza among a few others TFC2 types could have helped a team during the Island Games, getting a good run of minutes. Surprised how late in the season Jordan was loaned out to a USL side. I know Luke Singh and Ralph Priso have been in Hartford training with the first team.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    Oh my Ciman
    What was he thinking kicking the ball back with such force that way. That was scary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    Yup was about to make the same comment lol, get this guy off and let him go at the end of the season. Put Gallagher on the left and put Laryea on the right . We have seen enough of Auro I don’t know just loses to many balls and dribbles into traffic too much and sometimes his positional play is questionable.
    https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/14...ati-Toronto-FC auro highest rated player

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wish MLS was like some of the bigger leagues and not allowing Cup Finals and such on turf pitches.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This has been a strange season, and I don't mean the pandemic. Our best games have been against the best teams, and our worst games have been against the bottom feeders like DC, Vancouver, and Cincinnati. This team seems to have trouble getting motivated against teams with losing records.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This has been a strange season, and I don't mean the pandemic. Our best games have been against the best teams, and our worst games have been against the bottom feeders like DC, Vancouver, and Cincinnati. This team seems to have trouble getting motivated against teams with losing records.
    This is our way.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I liked Nelson’s energy last night and he is still hesitant a bit which is ok because he is young and learning but he was doing stuff that any local competitive player would get benched for like all the diving in. That has to not be part of his game at this level. Strong players will put him to shame and he won’t be able to conserve his energy properly if he keeps that up. Hope the staff are on him about that.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh for sure. And hey, I don’t want to suggest we suddenly send everyone to take a nap and say forget the shield entirely.

I just think at this juncture, after all the games played in a row, you need to work in a rest day for Osorio, Pozuelo, etc...

Miami game

Zavs & Mullins named to Team of the Week

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would be nice if we clinched the Supporter's Shield by then which would allow for resting of guys against Miami and NY.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Miami game

Good for both of them

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, here's the link:
    https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2020/1...-mls-team-week

Zavs in the starting lineup, Mullins on the bench.
    (I needed to check for my self to believe this, lol.)

This has to be something qualifying as a major WOW!
    I mean Zavs and Mullins?

Anyone saying before the match that these two will be on the "Team of the Week", would have been told to get off that hard shit they're smoking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ya gotta be good to be lucky, and lucky to be good. Another dirty grimy 1-0 win, and I know it ain't pretty but 3 points is 3 points.

Can't wait to get healthy Bradley and Altidore back into this mix, though I see why some may not want that. Its a tough call for sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I never thought I'd see Zavs and Mullins on Team of the Week ever again. It looks like for the next little while, we're going to see Vanney cycle through Mavinga-Ciman and Gonzales-Zavaleta pairings to give them breaks in the 2 games per week phase of the schedule. I'm betting that most MLS teams are starting to get fatigue with their main players due to the frequency of the matches where they don't have the depth. We could be seeing a lot more low-energy games as we approach Decision Day.