Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mo Johnston? How much did TFC pay him to coach?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everything flowed from there...

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NK Toronto View Post
    The current Altidore contract might be the worst one in TFC history. This could be a fun topic to discuss. What were the worst contracts given out by TFC?
    Without question the worst was using the DP slot on Mista by Mo. On this list by Fox sports (and throughout the league) he was widely considered the second-worst DP in MLS history (with only Denilson being considered worse). His one notable action was kicking over a water bottle stand after being subbed out.

https://www.foxsports.com/soccer/gal...history-120616
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 10-09-2020 at 08:33 AM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Without question the worst was using the DP slot on Mista by Mo. On this list by Fox sports (and throughout the league) he was widely considered the second-worst DP in MLS history (with only Denilson being considered worse). His one notable action was kicking over a water bottle stand after being subbed out.

https://www.foxsports.com/soccer/gal...history-120616
    He's the obvious.

I don't want to bring up the other somewhat obvious one. Don't want to re-hash old arguments!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Without question the worst was using the DP slot on Mista by Mo.
    And now he's coaching my Ottawa team. I hope he has better luck as a NA coach than player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would argue JDG. Mista was awful too though.

Struggling to remember others. The bad old days are starting to fade from memory, haha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At least Mista scored in a CCL game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I would argue JDG. Mista was awful too though.

Struggling to remember others. The bad old days are starting to fade from memory, haha
    Yeah, that's who I was referring to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NK Toronto View Post
    The current Altidore contract might be the worst one in TFC history. This could be a fun topic to discuss. What were the worst contracts given out by TFC?
    Not even top 50. Or did you miss the first decade of the club?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My view is based on Jozy's current contract which began in 2019, not what he has accomplished in the past. We are paying him $6MM a year for 2 goals. That is not money well spent. 2017 is long gone and he will not be returning to that level. Time to move on from him.

I know hindsight is 20 20 but if we even had an above avg healthy striker in 2019 we could have been cup champions. I know Gallardo has been a flop but what are we paying him a couple of hundred thousand a year? Its much harder to walk away from a $6MM contract, especially when you aren't generating any ticket sales revenue. So we may be stuck with him until his contract expires.
    Last edited by NK Toronto; 10-09-2020 at 07:35 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry, but for me Jozy's last contract is the worst one made in TFC's history, the most detrimental to the club. I am looking just at players, not coaches or managers/presidents.

You have to consider the huge $$$ value of the contract PLUS the very long period it's valid for PLUS the present circumstances and ambitions of the club (not what was 8-12 years ago), and with these in mind make a honest comparation to any other very bad contracts. You have to correctly do this without putting in balance what Jozy has done BEFORE this contract for TFC - and this is why is almost impossible to do it for most of the forum members.

Simply we are attached too much to Jozy because of his past contribution to the glory of TFC.
    Attachment wise something similar would be like having Seba back for the whole 2020-2021 seasons with a firm contract of $ 6 million per year, but he would contribute just like a player being paid max. 1.5 millions, and still most people saying: "oh well, not a big deal, because he was the magical Seba in the past for TFC"...

Let's be clear about this: I'm not a Jozy hater at all, and I never was (on the contrary!), but all the many great things he's done for this club are just a long past memory.
    A contract like this is pure poison for the bearer club in a capped league wich is MLS, such leagues being very rare in the world.

In any of the countries with the top 10 strongest intern championships, financially strong teams if made such grave error with such contract, would have a long time ago swallowed the $$ loss, buying out the player, or giving it for any other team even just for 1.5 million salary a year (and paying the rest). But of course in the MLS these would not work...
    Last edited by PizzaEatingYeti; 10-10-2020 at 01:49 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jozy’s contract was the right thing to do at the time. He is immensely important at this club at it is very hard to find strikers of his caliber, very hard indeed. Even with his subsequent injuries it was the right thing to do, and if they can keep him fit for 2021 he will still be a real force in the pitch. It’s not like he is 37 We are lucky to have a player of his skill and background at the club. Auro’s development no doubt owes a lot to his mentoring. It’s a good contract and I for one am glad we signed it.
    Last edited by MightyDM; 10-11-2020 at 09:18 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Jozy’s contract was the right thing to do at the time. He is immensely important at this club at it is very hard to find strikers if his caliber, very hard indeed. Even with his subsequent injuries it was the right thing to do, and if they can keep him fit for 2021 he will still be a real force in the pitch. It’s not like he is 37 We are lucky to have a player of his skill and background at the club. Quo’s development no doubt owes a lot to his mentoring. It’s a good contract and I for one am glad we signed it.
    I don’t even want to begin to unpack this

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    I don’t even want to begin to unpack this
    Same here, same here...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Might be worth noting the rest of the league's top strikers.

Atlanta - Josef Martinez
    Chicago - Herbers, Sapong
    Cinci - Kubo, Locadia
    Colorad0 - Shinyashiki, Mezquido
    Columbus - Zardes
    Dallas - Jara
    DCU - Ola Kamara, Jordy Reyna
    Houston - Quintero, Lassiter, Ramirez, Manotas (couldn't score against Miami last night)
    LAFC - Vela, Rodriquez, Rossi, Wright-Phillips
    LAG - Chicarito, Pavon
    Miaimi - Higuian, Agudelo (aside, their website is so shit - Higuian is not even on their normal roster page)
    Loons - Kia Kamara
    Impact - Urruti, Mason Toye
    Nashville - Accam, Badji
    NER - Bou, Buksa
    NYCFC - Heber, Castellanos
    NYRB - Royer
    Orlando- Akindele, Dike, (hint as to what has been the issue with this team - go to their club page & the first list is the board of directors)
    Philly - Przybylko, Santos
    Portland - Blanco, Ebobisse
    RSL - Ramirez, Johnson
    San Jose - Wondo, Rios
    Seattle - Rui Diaz, Morris
    SKC - Russel, Pulido
    Vancouver - Cavalini

I bet you most of us would have no clue who those players are and what their capabilities are.

The contract on Jozy is one thing. The capability of Jozy, even when walking wounded, within the MLS striker pool is near the top. There are maybe 3 players there who I would say are better then Jozy - Vela, Chicarito & Martinez.

I'm not sold on Jozy playing in a system with Poz - I don't think it will work in 2021 & 2022 (the window for Poz because he is 29 this year & will slow down in 2 years).

But, people who say he's rubbish just do not understand what level of strikers there are in this league. MLS is VERY midfield heavy in its quality.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think people are saying he is rubbish but rather the size and term of his contract vs his production have shown that it was a bad signing. You also have to factor in his history of injuries. It's risky to give out long-term contracts to players with a history of frequent injuries. He is a very talented player no question but you can't score when you are not playing.

I feel his current contract was a panic move by management who felt attendance would drop after losing both Seba and VV, plus the lousy 2018 season. If you recall before Jozy was renewed he was making comments in the media about being in an impasse with mgmt about his contract and maybe leaving the club. I believe that if Seba didn't leave Jozy gets a shorter term at less money.

If Jozy's contract expired at the end of 2020 does anyone believe the club would even give him an offer?

What's disappointing here is with Poz we have a small window of opportunity to do something really special in the next couple of years, but to make this happen we need a top quality, healthy and reliable striker and currently we don't have one, and maybe can't go and get one. Ayo maybe can be that guy but he is probably a few years away.
    Last edited by NK Toronto; 10-11-2020 at 09:20 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some facts that are hard to dispute:

1. Jozy when not hurt is a top top MLS striker;

2. There are very few of those as show by Og above.

3. It is very hard to get a top striker in and there have been far more failures than success. Far far more

4. Seba and VV left TFC at a time of their choosing, not of managements

5. If they had not re-signed Jozy TFC would have had to take a risk that it could bring someone in who could score;

6. It is very hard to get a top top striker in and there have been far more failures than successes. Far far more

7. Had they lost Seba VV AND Jozy the club would have looked as if it was falling apart. There was no choice but to resign Jozy, unless they had a top striker already ready to sign, which they did not because the club was not prepared for Seba and VV to leave.
    Last edited by MightyDM; 10-11-2020 at 12:50 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But he is hurt, more often than he is healthy, which is also a fact and one of the reasons that makes it a bad contract. Wasn't there a stat put out in the past week or so that indicates he has played less than 50% of game minutes over the past 2 seasons?

The other factor to consider is that TFC is willing to go out and spend more than any other club so comparing Jozy to other MLS strikers is not rationale as to whether his contract is good or bad. How many of those strikers make $6MM a year?

I can't help but wonder what other options would have been available to the club if that $6MM were used elsewhere. Doesn't Poz make less than $4MM a year? What could we have gotten for $6MM?

Anyway I don't think I am going to change anyone's mind who disagrees, but that is what makes this forum so fun. There would be no debates if everyone thought the same.
    Last edited by NK Toronto; 10-11-2020 at 12:06 PM.