Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Regular Sesason Phase 2 Game 2 - TFC "@" NYC - Wed Sept 23 7pm - To the Jersey Side

Have At It People

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get the impression that many players on the team just want this season to end so they can go home and wait things out until next spring, when hopefully the world will be in a better place.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NK Toronto View Post
    I get the impression that many players on the team just want this season to end so they can go home and wait things out until next spring, when hopefully the world will be in a better place.
    That's not what we've seen post game, in game, pre game from anybody.

They are doing what the rest of us who are working right now are doing - plugging through.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we are in for a rough game. Hopefully Mavinga can go a full 90 and Vanney doesn't switch to bunkering defensive 3 CB formation again if we happen to go up a goal by the 2nd half because that never works out for us just like what happened in DC. I would like to see Ayo start. Altidore can rest his heel or whatever this week's fitness issue is that he has and he can come in later in the game maybe.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When Tony Gallacher first takes the pitch he will become the 220th player to have played at least one game for the Reds.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we're going to play three at the back to end the game, could it be with Justin Morrow sliding back as a CB? I seem to remember him playing as a CB from time to time a few years ago (it might have been during our CONCACAF run). I have a bit more faith in his defensive abilities than our bench CBs at this point.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    If we're going to play three at the back to end the game, could it be with Justin Morrow sliding back as a CB? I seem to remember him playing as a CB from time to time a few years ago (it might have been during our CONCACAF run). I have a bit more faith in his defensive abilities than our bench CBs at this point.
    Unless there is something I am not aware of during the last game that only Vanney knows, the 3 CBs at the back should have never happened as we were controlling the game at the time. Once you go into defensive posture and everyone drops back then you just defend attacks over and over until an error occurs like it did. It doesn't work when TFC does that and I have seen Chelsea do that crap too since I watch a lot of their games. Guess what, it doesn't work for them either. It is a bad tactic to invite pressure for no reason at any level. Vanney does this as a tactic here and there and I hate it every time. We got burned so many times over the years or made it out of the game by a narrow margin in others. We should have went for the 3rd goal and not tried to defend the 2 we had. As soon as Vanney did that I knew we were in trouble and sure enough. I hope he learned his lesson. History says he won't and will do it again in the same situation. I recall Morrow doing CB too although I can't recall how he did. Not real thrilled with what we are seeing from our CB's but I will just say Gonzalez/Mavinga seem like the best pairing if we can do it. Ciman is ok to come in for one of them but it a red card or penalty liability all the time. Zavs lost my confidence completely. For the rest of the back line I love Laryea. Morrow is still good at his age but losing a step and has some nagging injuries more these days. No issues with Auro but I like Laryea on RB more.
    Last edited by Joe Kool; 09-21-2020 at 12:07 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree it shouldn't be happening and hopefully it can happen less going forward. I went back and looked at all the games since MLS is Back. The only time we were ahead or tied near the end of the game and did not bring in 3 CBs was:
    - First MLS is back game when we fully rotated our defence
    - 0-0 tie vs Rev. Ciman came on late in the game, but Mavinga also came off
    - 3-0 win vs Whitecaps when the Caps weren't even trying.
    The other 5 games that we were leading/tied, we've always gone to 3 at the back near the end of the game.
    Last edited by noxx98; 09-21-2020 at 02:42 PM. Reason: spelling

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    Unless there is something I am not aware of during the last game that only Vanney knows, the 3 CBs at the back should have never happened as we were controlling the game at the time.
    Vanney indicated they went that way because the midfield was getting tired and overrun - that's why the Poz/Piatti out switch. Our usual guy in those situations is DeLeon but he started.

But, as noxx98 says, we do this no matter what.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    That's not what we've seen post game, in game, pre game from anybody.

They are doing what the rest of us who are working right now are doing - plugging through.
    Going into this season I was of the view that we were one of the elite MLS clubs and a cup contender. Based on their play in 2020 I no longer feel so. I can only think of 2 games this season where they were really impressive, the win over NYC pre-pandemic, and the 3-0 win over Vancouver. As for the rest they have ranged from mediocre to bad. Our place in the strandings is misleading as 5 of our 6 wins are against either Vancouver or Montreal. Against the rest of the league we have only 1 win in 6 games. This year reminds more and more of 2018.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are better. Let’s shift the doom and gloom, we played a team that pressed us heavy and we were predictable in Orlando. What do we do against them on Wednesday? To me no blaming coaches, front office, injuries... this is Vanney’s moment.

Personally, I would like to see Lareya back on LW and threaten NYCFC defenders. Can play the Auro, Poz, Piatti threat but when they collapse on us, move it quick to the left and send Lareya and Jozy/Akinola

All for One

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have At It People
    Here is another version OG. I’ve seen both perform live. Both incredible. Fascinating how clear Springsteen sounds next to Tom Waits, when normally he sounds hoarse. Although this was ‘81. And in Jersey

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=78pdEP9Pr4s

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NK Toronto View Post
    Going into this season I was of the view that we were one of the elite MLS clubs and a cup contender. Based on their play in 2020 I no longer feel so. I can only think of 2 games this season where they were really impressive, the win over NYC pre-pandemic, and the 3-0 win over Vancouver. As for the rest they have ranged from mediocre to bad. Our place in the strandings is misleading as 5 of our 6 wins are against either Vancouver or Montreal. Against the rest of the league we have only 1 win in 6 games. This year reminds more and more of 2018.
    Nah. This is like 2019. Mediocre but.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    Unless there is something I am not aware of during the last game that only Vanney knows, the 3 CBs at the back should have never happened as we were controlling the game at the time. Once you go into defensive posture and everyone drops back then you just defend attacks over and over until an error occurs like it did. It doesn't work when TFC does that and I have seen Chelsea do that crap too since I watch a lot of their games. Guess what, it doesn't work for them either. It is a bad tactic to invite pressure for no reason at any level. Vanney does this as a tactic here and there and I hate it every time. We got burned so many times over the years or made it out of the game by a narrow margin in others. We should have went for the 3rd goal and not tried to defend the 2 we had. As soon as Vanney did that I knew we were in trouble and sure enough. I hope he learned his lesson.
    Agreed and well said.

I am a fan of pragmatically pushing the game when ahead rather than posturing defensively. We should do it more often.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey...its a game day

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    We are better. Let’s shift the doom and gloom, we played a team that pressed us heavy and we were predictable in Orlando. What do we do against them on Wednesday? To me no blaming coaches, front office, injuries... this is Vanney’s moment.

Personally, I would like to see Lareya back on LW and threaten NYCFC defenders. Can play the Auro, Poz, Piatti threat but when they collapse on us, move it quick to the left and send Lareya and Jozy/Akinola

All for One
    auro is hurt so likely richie at RB

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Boys on the usual Air Canada jet they use.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Boys on the usual Air Canada jet they use.
    Interesting they flew , that’s maybe a two hour bus ride max, something premier league teams do quite regularly. I would assume they will be traveling back to Hartford tonight.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting lineup tonight. Altidore and Akinola start together. Gallacher makes his debut. No Delgado in the squad at all.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Didn't even notice Bono in there.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tony Gallacher will become the 220th player to have played at least one game for the Reds in team history.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The midfield is suddenly very, very thin with Bradley, Delgado and Fraser all out. Doesn't look like there is even a backup for Osorio or DeLeon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess we'll see Gallardo tonight too....

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Didn't even notice Bono in there.
    Figure we could see more of him in this condensed rapid fire schedule the Reds are facing.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme View Post
    I guess we'll see Gallardo tonight too....
    He is on the bench.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like Bono starting. Westberg has been a little so so lately.

The headline however is: Why is Jozy Starting?

Edit: Looks like we have 1 central midfielder fit in Oso, so our midfield is in for a loooong one tonight which might explain why Jozy isn’t on the bench.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uh, the idea that Jozy shouldn't start is a forum/twitter discussion.

I'm interested to see what those 2 can do together, if they can get the ball. Not sure NYC is going to let TFC get the ball much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It’s nice to see NYC actually playing out of a stadium instead their usual garbage

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    It’s nice to see NYC actually playing out of a stadium instead their usual garbage
    Yep, not that bath tub of a pitch they usual have.