Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We shouldn't be happy about this. It would've been better if TFC was the one to forfeit to Forge. Grow the game, their players get a few more cheques and exposure.
    The majority of TFC fans don't care about this tournament. Look at the crowds, even when they were at their largest a few years ago, half were cheering for Club America.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With everyone complaining both ways about this final it should have just been cancelled and no Canadian team in this years tournament.
    I feel like with the uncertainty about the quality in the first place, let alone once the TFC Covid outbreak happened the CSA just shouldn't bother this year as it would just be an embarrassing exit in the first round again (2019 anyone?)

Should just wait until the format changes come in 2023 when the CanChamp won't be the only way in to the CCL (as TFC, MTL and VAN can all quality through the League and the Leagues Cup).
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glaze View Post
    We shouldn't be happy about this. It would've been better if TFC was the one to forfeit to Forge. Grow the game, their players get a few more cheques and exposure.
    The majority of TFC fans don't care about this tournament. Look at the crowds, even when they were at their largest a few years ago, half were cheering for Club America.
    The more I read from their fans on Twitter, the less sorry I feel. We are the bad guys in Canada and I personally love it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    If this is true, what a crappy way to decide the CCL spot. Embarrassing.
    Agreed, though I get the difficulty of having to organize all this during COVID and I think the inevitable CSA-hates-CPL-and-bows-to-their-TFC-overlords conspiracy that I assume is already making the rounds in Forge/CPL circles is ridiculous.
    It definitely feels unearned though and it sucks for Forge who I would have loved to see compete with us for a champions league spot. I know they'll still plus us for silverware in (likely) the summer but the stakes won't be as high.
    In retrospect this should always have just been played in Hartford in the fall

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forge wasn't going to be able to practice before the CCL game.

This way Forge get a high $ making rivalry like match when we can all go back to games, probably against Bono, Zavs & the like.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    The more I read from their fans on Twitter, the less sorry I feel. We are the bad guys in Canada and I personally love it.
    This was handled cannily by Young and poorly by TFC, in the communications department. He left the impression we got some favor when their inability to get clearance was almost certainly their own incompetence.

In the meantime, he avoids having his team play the best team in Mexico, which would've been a truly embarrassing slaughter, rather than the meek capitulation we'll likely offer.

They either lose to us, cementing their lack of quality to even be in the CCL, or they get crushed by Tigres.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flamehawk View Post
    Wow, I haven't posted here for almost a decade lol.
    See, just how you remember it

We’re still all as angsty and pessimistic as we used to be but with age our grievances are more sophisticated and high class. We all reek of entitlement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They can have their PR victory, they need it more than us.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Respectfully, wrong. I was glad to see the Club America supporters, it made it fun. Perhaps the way we played, helped to grow the game. I know this is a stretch but i want our Club to be the first MLS team to win this and I have no regrets about putting everything on the line in 2018. And quite frankly, not going for it this year is wrong. I feel bad for the Forge fans but sometimes things aren't fair and trust me we won't feel bad if we beat Leon. Maybe they should have flipped a coin, that might be better. Maybe Forge realized that they couldn't be competitively ready for the 7th. I don't know but I do know what i will be doing on the 7th. Just my two cents (pun intended) but TFC til I die.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well said. This is personally my favourite tournament. It brought some of the best quality football to BMO, from both the opposition and from our own team. Some of the attacking interplay in the first leg of that final was outstanding.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you don’t get that the 2018 CCL run was one of the greatest things in Toronto sports history, there is nothing anyone can do to explain it to you.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really like the CCL and so does every TFC fan I know. I will say going into our first truly competitive game after a coaching change without a full squad who also had to delay training due to COVID and using a new style of play for the first time against a Mexican team does not give me the warm and fuzzies for TFC's chances. Flashbacks of that night versus Panama’s Club Atletico Independiente come up in my head. Haha. Hopefully not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to disagree yes there were maybe a 1000 or so Club America fans that night but to say almost half were cheering for Club America really ? I was there but the stadium was like 95 percent going for TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Well it is Hamilton, Oskie We We

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    bwahaha.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto