Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So for Armas this is a must win. If he loses this one to a CPL club, #armasout will be trending in a major way.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In fairness a game against a CPL team should always be a must-win for an MLS team even though upsets can and already did - see Van-Cal in 2019 - happen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They really should have played this game last year. Now who knows when/where they're going to be able to do it. I honestly think it should just be at BC Place ASAP so they don't have to worry about weather.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    They really should have played this game last year. Now who knows when/where they're going to be able to do it. I honestly think it should just be at BC Place ASAP so they don't have to worry about weather.
    So Hamilton should have flown to Hartford? The nub of the issue is that games with no fans and no TV audience lose a lot of money. Who is paying for that?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    So Hamilton should have flown to Hartford? The nub of the issue is that games with no fans and no TV audience lose a lot of money. Who is paying for that?
    Yeah, they should have played it in Hartford. They could have put it on TSN. I assume it would have drawn at least 100k viewers. Get some sponsorship. Would've been better than nothing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, they should have played it in Hartford. They could have put it on TSN. I assume it would have drawn at least 100k viewers. Get some sponsorship. Would've been better than nothing.
    I may be wrong but I think One Soccer owns the broadcast rights for the Canadian Championship

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blindside16 View Post
    I may be wrong but I think One Soccer owns the broadcast rights for the Canadian Championship
    Yes, but they could have shared it like they did the Island Games with CBC.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know what I hate? I hate it when I walk into McDonald's and they won’t give me a free Big Mac.

I mean, why? They could. It’s nothing to them. Why won’t they do it?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They could just have it at the Indoor Soccer Centre in Vaughan where TFC2 used to play.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    They could just have it at the Indoor Soccer Centre in Vaughan where TFC2 used to play.
    TFC 2 always used the outdoor field. http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoront...7/17tfc313.htm
    The building on the left (north) of the field is the indoor facility.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pros couldn't play a game at the indoor soccer centre as the ceiling is too low. I have attended many youth matches there and the play is stopped regularly when the ball hits the ceiling. The goalkeepers would only be able to make short passes or throw the ball to their teammates.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know what I hate? I hate it when I walk into McDonald's and they won’t give me a free Big Mac.

I mean, why? They could. It’s nothing to them. Why won’t they do it?
    This doesn't make a lot of sense. Who said it would be for free?

They shared the Island Games with CBC, so obviously they were able to find some sort of financial arrangement that made sense for them. Why couldn't they do the same thing for the Can. Champ. final? Who says they should give away the rights for free?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is no advertising or sponsorship market for a Forge v TFC game that could remotely come close to the cost of putting that game on in 2020. If you don’t believe that, suit yourself.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is no advertising or sponsorship market for a Forge v TFC game that could remotely come close to the cost of putting that game on in 2020. If you don’t believe that, suit yourself.
    I have my doubts even in 2021. Unless you are say the Maple Leafs in this country or the NFL and to a less extent the NBA down south, getting back to pre-pandemic levels will be an uphill battle. Without fans in the stands to any significant level MLB has said things are not all that viable for playing, likely see a short season again. TFC moving forward, especially if they can not play in Toronto with fans in the stands til much later in the year or even 2022 will face some real issues. Re-engaging the fans/ticket buyer will be an interesting endeavour. How many companies have been able to walk away from their advertising/partnership obligations in the sports world due to the pandemic and choose to do so?

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Not sure how easy this will be for them. Joe Biden announced yesterday that the US will be implementing the mandatory quarantine for visitors, like Canada has. So those match dates won't work for any matchup involving MLS teams, unless they're planning on both legs being in the US for the Round of 16 and QF.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Draw straws I guess. Maybe we get an extra straw, maybe not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can’t remember where I read or heard it, but the possibility of MLS teams forfeiting games because of the lack of an agreement or COVID restrictions may be a real possibility. Could be the Forge playing after all.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or in 2021.

I assume that they'll just play it in a dome somewhere in the GTA.

Isn't there one up at the Toronto FC training ground?

Where is the Hamilton training ground?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The game should probably be played at BC Place. The travel costs might turn people off to that though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nfitz View Post
    Or in 2021.

I assume that they'll just play it in a dome somewhere in the GTA.

Isn't there one up at the Toronto FC training ground?

Where is the Hamilton training ground?
    They are going to have to draw straws, because there is no way to come close to paying for the cost of this game without a gate, so the only way it can happen is if they both happen to be in the GTA at the same time, which ain’t happening in the next three months.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They are going to have to draw straws, because there is no way to come close to paying for the cost of this game without a gate, so the only way it can happen is if they both happen to be in the GTA at the same time, which ain’t happening in the next three months.

Not sure why you think this won't happen. TFC has already said they want it at BMO. Both teams will be able to practice under current quarantine rules. A game without fans would be approved by the promise. This game is happening in March, most likely.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure why you think this won't happen. TFC has already said they want it at BMO. Both teams will be able to practice under current quarantine rules. A game without fans would be approved by the promise. This game is happening in March, most likely.
    How about selling 500 tickets under agreement with the various levels of government with a covid test done in the parking lot pre-game like they did with the Bills games. Could be a low key trial run for them, to see how they may be able to open things up more in the future.

When MTL had 250 fans in the stands for their 3 home games their tickets sold for an average of $70 using that auction bidding system. Could work here.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quarantine rules for players arriving from outside Canada won’t ease before March, they will have to spend their two weeks sequestered if they come here. Camp doesn’t make sense here anyway, it will be in Florida or wherever in US. Plus I think this “lockout” is pretty likely, owners will be pleased to avoid playing in empty stadiums while trying to bludgeon players into concessions.

Can’t see TFC being in Canada until summer earliest.
    Last edited by ensco; 01-29-2021 at 12:04 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can the game even be played if MLS players are locked out?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quarantine rules for players arriving from outside Canada won’t ease before March, they will have to spend their two weeks sequestered if they come here. Camp doesn’t make sense here anyway, it will be in Florida or wherever in US. Plus I think this “lockout” is pretty likely, owners will be pleased to avoid playing in empty stadiums while trying to bludgeon players into concessions.

Can’t see TFC being in Canada until summer earliest.
    Mavinga tweeted he is on his way here already. The two week quarantine period is being baked in.

I doubt the lockout happens - owners are pretty much getting what they want out of the negotiations - not sure they want to go nuclear over an increase of the opportunity for a limited free agency.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    I read somewhere that if a MLS team misses a game due to the lockout that the game is forfeited. Probably about the only chance the Forge has to qualify.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is anybody talking about where TFC will hold camp? Because I can’t see why it would be in Toronto given weather (they are really going to have camp 100% in a bubble?) and relative severity of general restrictions here.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Plus you have to factor in having to stay in a government controlled hotel for $2000 for at least 3 days. These measures are getting stricter and stricter. Can MLS really consider having a 3 team Canadian division to at least start the season, the first 12 games or so. Can not really see Toronto being holed up in a hotel for the season. Maybe things will change by summer.

Mavinga tweeted he is on his way here already. The two week quarantine period is being baked in.

I doubt the lockout happens - owners are pretty much getting what they want out of the negotiations - not sure they want to go nuclear over an increase of the opportunity for a limited free agency.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Obviously not. But still weeks until camp starts, and they don't seem that far away from each other. They always settle, despite all the worrying by some.

Most players for both teams are in Canada already. I doubt they'll head to Florida until late this year, and then kick off the season with a US road trip - if they go at all.