Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With a new CBA tentatively agreed to by MLS and the players I would think the announcement for the date of the final vs Forge would not be too far off. As we know many players are have already or are making their way to Toronto.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    With a new CBA tentatively agreed to by MLS and the players I would think the announcement for the date of the final vs Forge would not be too far off. As we know many players are have already or are making their way to Toronto.
    At this point maybe best to play it the weekend before MLS starts. That would give both teams time to prepare.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL

The winner gets a trip to play Club Leon of LigaMx.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know what? I am now cool with just letting Forge represent Canada.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    LOL

The winner gets a trip to play Club Leon of LigaMx.
    Nothing like facing the champions of Liga MX to get #Armasout and #baldfraudarmas going.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leon is sitting pretty far down in the standings right now, but they finished top 2 in the past four Liga MX half seasons.

Hoping we win against Forge, but lets not kill ourselves against Leon. Could be a good chance to get some youth players some minutes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    Leon is sitting pretty far down in the standings right now, but they finished top 2 in the past four Liga MX half seasons.

Hoping we win against Forge, but lets not kill ourselves against Leon. Could be a good chance to get some youth players some minutes.
    Way too early in the season to say they're pretty far down. They've played 4 games (most have played 5) and they're 6 points behind first. They win their game in hand and they're only one win back of top of the table.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How would we (or Forge for that matter) even manage the CCL with travel restrictions? The round of 16 might be doable since it's before the season starts, but what happens if we make the quarters which would fall about a week into the MLS season?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DavemTFC View Post
    How would we (or Forge for that matter) even manage the CCL with travel restrictions? The round of 16 might be doable since it's before the season starts, but what happens if we make the quarters which would fall about a week into the MLS season?
    Looks like the Canadian teams will be starting in the USA. So I'd assume they'd deal with it the same way the US MLS teams deal with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://twitter.com/plattoli/status/...553937409?s=21

That’s as brutal as it gets for a draw.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC1154ever View Post
    https://twitter.com/plattoli/status/...553937409?s=21

That’s as brutal as it gets for a draw.
    That's completely untenable for the Canadian club. TFC is nowhere near as talented as they were in 2018. I would just give it to Hamilton at this point and let them get the experience (and the costs). Why does it seem we get shafted most years with the draw?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    That's completely untenable for the Canadian club. TFC is nowhere near as talented as they were in 2018. I would just give it to Hamilton ...
    I support a team, not a project.

Sorry, but NEVER give up on a trophy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I support a team, not a project.

Sorry, but NEVER give up on a trophy.

How can you say that??!! My best memories at BMO Field are those Champions League games against Mexican teams!!
    Leon - bring it on! Go Poz and Richie and the rest! We can beat 'em!!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why does it seem we get shafted most years with the draw?
    The CSA and CONCACAF are backing the CPL, they are all in on that project. Despite the current higher level of play, MLS is an American league, so it doesn't meet their goals for Canada. That's all we need to know.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    The CSA and CONCACAF are backing the CPL, they are all in on that project. Despite the current higher level of play, MLS is an American league, so it doesn't meet their goals for Canada. That's all we need to know.
    Sorry I wasn't clear - I meant that *Canada* gets shafted with the draws most years. I think I can count on one hand years where Canadian Teams didn't start CCL against a Mexican Club. It applies to both CPL and Canadian MLS clubs. American clubs usually get a cakewalk the first round or two.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe March 20th:

https://twitter.com/beezersun/status...166716933?s=21

https://twitter.com/kristianjack/status/1366452566608007170?s=21

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC are currently training at BMO ... is there a plan on when they are going south?

Where's Hamilton training? Can they play at their stadium this early?

Though I don't know if lockdown impacts this or not. Toronto was supposed to leave lockdown in a week - but as the cases haven't dropped since they extended it 2 more weeks, I don't see that being likely. Hamilton isn't in lockdown, but cases are increasing there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry I wasn't clear - I meant that *Canada* gets shafted with the draws most years. I think I can count on one hand years where Canadian Teams didn't start CCL against a Mexican Club. It applies to both CPL and Canadian MLS clubs. American clubs usually get a cakewalk the first round or two.
    With the way it's set up its by ranking top 8 vs bottom 8 based on historical results. Top 8 is currently Canada, 4 US teams, and 3 Mexican teams. Bottom 8 is 1 Mexican (was the 4th USA before) and 7 others. In the four years that they've done this format, Canada got the low USA/Mexico twice in Round 1 (Rapids in 18 and Leon in 2021). So, technically we should get that super bottom 12.5% of the time, but we've gotten it 50% of the time, granted four years is a small sample.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bring on Cruz Azul so I can relive Mista's glorious contribution to the club

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The CSA does realize this game needs to be played before the first round of the CCL, right? And that the CCL begins in almost exactly 1 month, right? And that it would be nice for the teams to have a bit of notice to prepare for travel and all that stuff, right?

Right?

This is getting absurd. Apparently, Hamilton haven't even started training camp yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As a TFC guy and Canadian footy supporter I say that Forge should contest this decision with everything they can throw at the CSA. If not solved there go to the next superior international board!

How is possible for a team to be supposed to be ready to play without having had a single training session yet before a season, and being announced 16 days prior to a competitive match, with major importance for the club?
    They should request absolute minimum 3 weeks time span between the date they are announced about the match and the scheduled date, time span through which are fully allowed to train, from day 1.

Otherwise they shoud sabotage this whole competition, even at the cost at no Canadian team present in the 2021 edition of the CONCACAF Champs League.

EDIT:

As Rollins indicated, the teams knew about this date weeks ago

&

the inability of Forge to train is not the CSA or TFC's fault - that lies with the CPL/Forge either not asking the province for the same exemption MLS has or the province rejecting CPL/Forge's proposals.
    I am retracting my post based on the above quote.

My initial post was 100% based just on what I read on Twitter where a few people (probably Forge fans?) seemed totally flabbersgasted, saying that Forge found out about this decision just on the day of the decision (plus they have not had a single training session yet).
    So it seems they have no idea what they are talking about...

My bad, lol!
    Last edited by PizzaEatingYeti; 03-05-2021 at 09:37 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ highly recommend retracting your post

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As Rollins indicated, the teams knew about this date weeks ago

&

the inability of Forge to train is not the CSA or TFC's fault - that lies with the CPL/Forge either not asking the province for the same exemption MLS has or the province rejecting CPL/Forge's proposals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope we smoke Forge like 7-0. I did not care about them before, but after reading the whinging of their fans on Twitter I now hope they fold.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CPL founder and Forge owner Bob Young take on the final.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That post does not surprise me and is in keeping with issues I have with Ti-Cat management & philosophy.

I used to be a Ti-Cat fan.

Grew up as one.

Parents went to games when they moved here in the 50's. Went to a few as a kid. Watched the CFL every week. Knew the players, knew the teams, watched every Grey Cup with family friends. When we moved to Toronto, had Argo season tickets just to watch the games.

Daughter actually worked for the Ti-Cats for a couple of seasons.

Then they hired a coach who had a problematic past in terms of dealing with his players assaulting/raping women & who had never admitted fault even though there was damning evidence about his culpability. The Ti-Cats, and the CFL, all men of course, doubled down on blaming the media for the scandal. Never admitted the hire should not have been done, never admitted they made a mistake. The hire was halted but only due to a massive boycott & threat of an economic blockade against both the team & the league.

I gave up on over 45 years of CFL fandom that week. Don't follow the game anymore, don't know who is playing for who, don't know which team is doing better (apart from keeping a small eye on Argo fortunes vis-a-vis the CFL playoffs & BMO field) & really not caring at all about a league I was SERIOUSLY into. All because a team did something in my mind that was reprehensible.

This thing with the Voyageur's - its NOWHERE near that bad. But, there is a tendency here in behaviour - not admitting fault but blaming outsiders who didn't let Forge do something.

That inability to see their own faults runs through the Ti-Cats & seems to also sit within CPL management (regardless of where that CPL management comes from).

As Rollins aptly put it

I hope the CPL succeeds. I would LOVE to see a York v TFC rivalry develop and would probably enjoy a game in my home stomping grounds of Waterloo if a team there ever got to the CPL. But, they gotta realise during Covid that if you don't put your ducks in a row & do the right thing, nobody is going to cut you any slack.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Correct me if I am wrong but I assume the issue here is that the levels of governments were not pleased with the plan and protocols that the CPL/Forges presented to return to training thus play a game. In the fall we saw the government allow for TFC to return to Toronto under a modified quarantine plan The issue could also be what color your area is currently in, is that what's holding up Forge's plan. I do not know. We have both the NHL and AHL playing games in this country without travel across the border.

Personally i was even surprised in the fall that the North Toronto Soccer Club house league was allowed to play. One evening walking through Eglinton Park the fields were full with the 6-7 year olds playing games.

The big question is then is does the CSA even have the permission needed with the protocols in place to even play the game?

That post does not surprise me and is in keeping with issues I have with Ti-Cat management & philosophy.

I used to be a Ti-Cat fan.

Grew up as one.

Parents went to games when they moved here in the 50's. Went to a few as a kid. Watched the CFL every week. Knew the players, knew the teams, watched every Grey Cup with family friends. When we moved to Toronto, had Argo season tickets just to watch the games.

Daughter actually worked for the Ti-Cats for a couple of seasons.

Then they hired a coach who had a problematic past in terms of dealing with his players assaulting/raping women & who had never admitted fault even though there was damning evidence about his culpability. The Ti-Cats, and the CFL, all men of course, doubled down on blaming the media for the scandal. Never admitted the hire should not have been done, never admitted they made a mistake. The hire was halted but only due to a massive boycott & threat of an economic blockade against both the team & the league.

I gave up on over 45 years of CFL fandom that week. Don't follow the game anymore, don't know who is playing for who, don't know which team is doing better (apart from keeping a small eye on Argo fortunes vis-a-vis the CFL playoffs & BMO field) & really not caring at all about a league I was SERIOUSLY into. All because a team did something in my mind that was reprehensible.

This thing with the Voyageur's - its NOWHERE near that bad. But, there is a tendency here in behaviour - not admitting fault but blaming outsiders who didn't let Forge do something.

That inability to see their own faults runs through the Ti-Cats & seems to also sit within CPL management (regardless of where that CPL management comes from).

As Rollins aptly put it

I hope the CPL succeeds. I would LOVE to see a York v TFC rivalry develop and would probably enjoy a game in my home stomping grounds of Waterloo if a team there ever got to the CPL. But, they gotta realise during Covid that if you don't put your ducks in a row & do the right thing, nobody is going to cut you any slack.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really hope they cancel it and just award TFC the spot. It will save me from having to spend however much a month of OneSoccer costs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    I really hope they cancel it and just award TFC the spot. It will save me from having to spend however much a month of OneSoccer costs.
    All the upcoming Canada games this month will be on Onesoccer....