Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default TFC to play home matches in Hartford, Connecticut

I posted this in the General thread, but feel like a topic may be more beneficial. Looks like this answers the will they fly in and back to To immediately question. No

https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2020/09/11/toronto-fc-play-its-home-matches-connecticut

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The new Whalers.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This gives some details as to why

https://portal.ct.gov/Office-of-the-...y-Home-Matches

Also indicates "for the rest of the season"

They are not coming back people

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What a mess of a season. I guess this is their best option.

Montreal will play at Red Bull arena and Vancouver will play at Providence Park in Portland.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/...ough-september
    Last edited by benito; 09-11-2020 at 12:30 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by benito View Post
    What a mess of a season. I guess this is their best option.

Montreal will play at Red Bull arena and Vancouver will play at Providence Park in Portland.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/...ough-september
    So the question comes to mind: Montreal will have energy drinks to drink and Vancouver craft beer and organic coffee. What is there to drink in Hartford?
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doesn't every town of more than 200 people down there have a craft brewery that does an IPA?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Doesn't every town of more than 200 people down there have a craft brewery that does an IPA?
    I can confirm this is true in Nova Scotia.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    So the question comes to mind: Montreal will have energy drinks to drink and Vancouver craft beer and organic coffee. What is there to drink in Hartford?
    Drink my own piss meme guy comes to mind lol.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad we're playing in a truly neutral field instead of borrowing another MLS team's place.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder if this place will allow spectators?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having been there a number of times this is a great choice. The Rent has hosted Gold Cup matches and the USMNT about half a dozen times over the last decade. It’s a great facility. It’s in my eyes the best mid sized stadium in the US. It’s big than the SSS in the league and smaller than the NFL ones. It’s a good grass field and will suit the Reds well. They have not mentioned anything about tickets being sold, guess they have yet to figure it out?

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Think that’s the case just about everywhere now in big cities and small.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If they do allow some spectators (hopefully not many), it is a good chance to expand the fanbase and brand a bit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice stadium. The Revolution should move here.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    If they do allow some spectators (hopefully not many), it is a good chance to expand the fanbase and brand a bit.
    I am thinking in the area of 10-20% capacity most likely allowing for the area of 4,000-8,000 as the stadium seats 40,000 if allowed. Even travel within the US is getting more complicated as some states are putting in 14 day quarantines for travelling from certain states at least by air.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now this makes it interesting. The state of Connecticut has a 14 day quarantine for those travelling into the state from several other parts of the US including where many MLS teams are located. TFC for instances has one of their first 3 games at DC, which as of this week is on the quarantine list for Connecticut. I wonder how this is being handled. The 14 day quartentine was the key reason why TFC are not playing in Toronto.

https://portal.ct.gov/coronavirus/travel

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As of July 3rd, outdoor event venues can have 25% capacity in the state of Connecticut. The real issue for TFC will be the 14 day quarantine order when coming back to the state from certain road games. It will not affect the visiting team when playing in the state as the quarantine order does not affect those who are visiting for less than 24 hours.

https://portal.ct.gov/Coronavirus/Co...ase/Gatherings

• Effective July 3
    • Indoor private gatherings – 25 people
    • Outdoor private gatherings – 100 people, one time exception for graduations at 150 people
    • Outdoor organized gatherings (e.g. fireworks, concerts in municipal parks) – 15 feet of space blanket to blanket, cap of 500 people. Event organizer responsible for compliance with guidance.
    • Outdoor event venues (e.g. amphitheaters, race tracks) – 25% of fire capacity and distancing

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Looks like there are a couple of decent breweries in Hartford: https://thebeertravelguide.com/brewe...top-breweries/

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Glad we're playing in a truly neutral field instead of borrowing another MLS team's place.
    I totally agree. Vancouver has it the worst, playing "home" in their traditional rival's stadium (Portland). At least the plastic pitch will feel like home to the Whitecaps. The Hartford venue looks pretty nice.
    Last edited by Auzzy; 09-12-2020 at 12:18 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I wonder if this place will allow spectators?
    Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Having been there a number of times this is a great choice. The Rent has hosted Gold Cup matches and the USMNT about half a dozen times over the last decade. It’s a great facility. It’s in my eyes the best mid sized stadium in the US. It’s big than the SSS in the league and smaller than the NFL ones. It’s a good grass field and will suit the Reds well. They have not mentioned anything about tickets being sold, guess they have yet to figure it out?
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    I am thinking in the area of 10-20% capacity most likely allowing for the area of 4,000-8,000 as the stadium seats 40,000 if allowed. Even travel within the US is getting more complicated as some states are putting in 14 day quarantines for travelling from certain states at least by air.
    As of July 3rd, outdoor event venues can have 25% capacity in the state of Connecticut. The real issue for TFC will be the 14 day quarantine order when coming back to the state from certain road games. It will not affect the visiting team when playing in the state as the quarantine order does not affect those who are visiting for less than 24 hours.

https://portal.ct.gov/Coronavirus/Co...ase/Gatherings

• Effective July 3
    • Indoor private gatherings – 25 people
    • Outdoor private gatherings – 100 people, one time exception for graduations at 150 people
    • Outdoor organized gatherings (e.g. fireworks, concerts in municipal parks) – 15 feet of space blanket to blanket, cap of 500 people. Event organizer responsible for compliance with guidance.
    • Outdoor event venues (e.g. amphitheaters, race tracks) – 25% of fire capacity and distancing
    To address all the speculation: https://www.tsn.ca/connecticut-stadi...home-1.1522955

"[Lamont's office] said there are no plans to allow fans at the game."

That specifically refers to the TFC - Columbus game. Beyond that, we'll see, my guess it will stay that way (no fans) at least for a few more weeks. This is obviously a special arrangement with the state and local governments, who will call the shots.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The real issue for TFC will be the 14 day quarantine order when coming back to the state from certain road games. It will not affect the visiting team when playing in the state as the quarantine order does not affect those who are visiting for less than 24 hours.
    You're right about the visiting teams, also mentioned in the TSN / Canadian Press article above:

"Ohio is currently on Connecticut's travel advisory list, which requires visitors from that state to spend 14 days in quarantine. Lamont's office said the Columbus team is not expected to be subject to that quarantine because they plan to stay in the state for less than 24 hours."

But yes I wonder what they will do with TFC when they come back to CT from "road games" in states that are subject to the Connecticut travel advisory. Maybe TFC will have their hotel outside of Connecticut, LOL. I imagine this has already been decided as part of the whole arrangement, as they acknowledge that more TFC games in Hartford are planned once MLS has figured out the rest of the schedule. Perhaps the deal will be, TFC stays in a bubble, and no fans in the stadium. Some states also allow exceptions with testing.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it is pretty kewl, way better than being in someone else’s house for home games. I would even suggest giving them a game a year starting sometime in 2022 so we could do a home team road game...LOL. Think about it.

As an aside don’t like watching games without fans, don’t like not being a fan. But all for the greater good for now.

COYRs

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because there is no Huskies football season and no events on the schedule the stadium has basically been shuttered up until now. To host anything they would basically have to staff up to some extent. As a reference Hartford Athletic of USL Championship has been hosting fans at 25% capacity, 1,375 of 5,500. I would not be surprised if after the first game they do figure out something fan wise, even if its not done at the full 25% ie 10,000. Having seen that Chiefs crowd the other in my eyes on you get past 10,000 you start loose control of social distancing procedures.

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    To address all the speculation: https://www.tsn.ca/connecticut-stadi...home-1.1522955

"[Lamont's office] said there are no plans to allow fans at the game."

That specifically refers to the TFC - Columbus game. Beyond that, we'll see, my guess it will stay that way (no fans) at least for a few more weeks. This is obviously a special arrangement with the state and local governments, who will call the shots.