0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PaceyWinger View Post
    really? 2020:
    Akinola 5 goals
    Lareya 3 goals
    Pozuelo 3 goals
    Piatti 2 goals
    Others: 1 goal
    Yes really. So I guess you are satisfied with our recent results.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    In this system, Piatti & Oso are technically wide strikers in a 4-3-3.

I look at the rest of the league and don't see us being able to control the ball as much as we do against the Impact & Caps. Henry doesn't seem to believe in defensive midfielders and Vancouver hasn't really got 1.

Couple that with most teams having a decent playmaker now, & I'm not sold on us doing well against all but the worst teams.
    I hate losing.. especially 2 in a row, but we did just almost tie the league record for not losing.. so I feel like we all need to take one step back from the brink. We do fairly well. We're not quite Bayern Munich but at least we aren't as shit as Barca right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    jozy is still worth every penny. When he is on the pitch.
    I think they may add but pretty tough to be on Akinola in his first game back after how good he was in his previous matches.
    Quote Originally Posted by NK Toronto View Post
    Poz doesn't even look for Jozy anymore
    u missed a couple other peoples posts.
    check page 2 my dude. stop being so lazy. you only have to move your thumb. wait. tell me you checked page 2. thats hilarious. you probably had to check it twice too. oh man. did you catch it? ok no seriously I'm kidding.

but if you're going to quote a post where I'm talking about Akinola, and you're salty about Jozy then I don't feel terrible at sending you back in history for no reason.
    I hate losing.. especially 2 in a row, but we did just almost tie the league record for not losing.. so I feel like we all need to take one step back from the brink. We do fairly well. We're not quite Bayern Munich but at least we aren't as shit as Barca right?
    Do you realize we pretty much went from guaranteed Canadian champions to outside chance? Do you understand what voyageur cup and concacaf champions League is?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When your strikers can't score it forces your mids and defenders to play more up the field which exposes you to counters. It changes your tactics. So yes if your striker is not scoring it is a huge problem.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5 games in what, 17 days? not enough squad rotation. Vanney has his trusted 16-17 players
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SirBobSaget View Post
    Do you realize we pretty much went from guaranteed Canadian champions to outside chance? Do you understand what voyageur cup and concacaf champions League is?
    something that TFC FO pays lip service to about it's importance? because missing CCL isn't going to get Vanney fired. missing MLS playoffs will

especially during COVID who knows if CCL is going to be actually held next year
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the record, Jozy has played 7 games for TFC in 2020 including 2 in Orlando. He has not scored this season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To each his own but I would rather be upset about a TFC loss then watch the news and be upset about what is happening in the world.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    There's been an issue with this team for years now about not taking the result seriously until there are no chances to keep playing. They seem to assume they can figure it out if there is still a chance.

That's Bradley's mentality but I'm not sure it works. Not enough urgency
    I totally agree. I remember an article about Bradley, about staying in a Zen state of mind. I think Vanney has a similar mentality. Long term it's great to be calm, to focus on teaching and improving etc. But sometimes when things are going badly, you need some fire -- even just short term to turn things around in a game. It goes hand in hand with often waiting too long with subs. If TFC has certain problems in the first half, there's a good chance you'll keep seeing the same problems, extending right into the 2nd half.

I really wasn't upset during the game. I'm hoping this will be a wake-up call. We weren't as good as our record suggests -- or at least the team has to work much harder to maintain that record. In Piatti, I see real fire both on the defensive and offensive end. Other than him, not so much. People focus on complaining about Altidore, Fraser, Ciman, and a few others. But other than Piatti, I felt most of the players were poor to average. (Delgado was better than he has been recently, with some great one-touch passes etc.)

Sure TFC needs to practice set-piece defending. But mostly they need to practice shooting. From every position, every angle, every situation, including penalties. I hope TFC has a good sports psychologist. Osorio had a great goal today, but there were so many scuffed shots from Oso and the whole team. And why does Pozuelo chip 95% of his shots and passes? The opponents expect it all the time now. Why do they all keep pumping crosses into the box when Ayo (or Altidore later) are surrounded by 3 big guys.
    Last edited by Auzzy; 09-06-2020 at 12:23 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NK Toronto View Post
    When your strikers can't score it forces your mids and defenders to play more up the field which exposes you to counters. It changes your tactics. So yes if your striker is not scoring it is a huge problem.
    Generally agree. Although you can still work your butt off as a striker and help the team. Pressing or winning marginal balls .. goes a long way.

But to be fair, we are not seeing much of that either and you still to put the ball in the net over a longer period to be credible.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 09-07-2020 at 07:07 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SirBobSaget View Post
    Calm down whoever you are what nk wrote is true, there has been 0 goals from the forwards last 5 games
    that tends to happen when they don't play. also remind me what position Deleon was playing when he subbed on for Mullins v Vancouver 5 games ago?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have conceded three set piece goals in two games, and a goal on a cross from very poor defending. None of these (except arguably the cross) were really to do with counter attacks or lack of hold up play from the strikers - but all were to do with sloppy play, lack of concentration. It’s a defensive mentality thing, possibly a bit of organization. We look over confident to me.
    Last edited by MightyDM; 09-07-2020 at 10:09 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A lot of that record was last year and the Orlando tournament. The team themselves didn't really take it seriously at all.

I'm basing my meanderings on looking at other teams - pace is a thing in this league, as is DM & AM capability. I like our passing approach & Poz is a wizard. But our defence is going to leak goals

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Didn't get to watch this game so I won't comment on performances aside from the fact that I've liked how we've played since resuming. I will say that Jozy still hasn't scored in 2020.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jozy is focused on RSL, not Toronto.
    It fits several important things for him. The chance to be a part owner in MLS. A future that goes beyond his playing career. A nice small town to bring up a family in.

Just like Giovinco thinking about Saudi, Jozy is here in body but not in spirit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    It fits several important things for him. The chance to be a part owner in MLS. A future that goes beyond his playing career. A nice small town to bring up a family in.

Just like Giovinco thinking about Saudi, Jozy is here in body but not in spirit.
    I hope you are wrong. But expect that you are right.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post

Let's be clear... love Gio, miss him but he chose to leave (story closed)

On Jozy, because he is passionate on something else that he believes in does not mean he is still not focused, effective and most importantly our best option. In both of the losses, we and he had scoring chances... Jozy had numerous chances and he came across two goal keepers playing above their punching weight.

TFC Outshot Mtl & Van 42 to 17
    Delivered 75 crossed to 23
    60+ possession in both matches

Do I think the final 3rd quality was there, no but we score on any of those chances, people are saying other things.

I think people are right to be angered at the whole team malaise, not just Jozy.

Staying on the attack here, the bigger issue is that there is currently no true depth (substitutes) behind him. Akinola is still learning and without being too harsh Mullins is average at best with what we have seen. At least Ricketts when he came on in the seventieth minute added an energy, he would pressure the ball and run through channels. It is true, it was far better to see Jozy play 90 minutes.

I think the list compiled last week was pretty accurate on what we need and it isn't a complete re-build. This has been a screwed up season and if Jozy goes, I will miss him and I will salute him for all he has done for TFC.... but make no bones about it, there is no current senior football striker depth behind him and Ali cannot sit and do nothing.

WE SHOULD BE SCOUTING RIGHT NOW!!
    Last edited by Bushmancan; 09-08-2020 at 07:38 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    Delivered 75 crossed to 23
    60+ possession in both matches
    This is one of the reasons we can't score. We usually control the possession so long and build up so slow that the opposing team can pack the box. Then our answer is to either force a shot that is easily blocked or flail endless crosses in to our 5'9 and below options in the box because Jozy is usually playing too far from goal. When he is close to goal he loses a lot of headers for a tall guy too. We're only effective when we attack with pace but we're not set up to do that obviously.