Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The sort of game where we either come out flat in the second half and they rev up to thump our slow defence or we let them in with a soft one at the end and give up points.

Finishing has been poor - lots of side footed attempts to slot home that have come off slow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WestStandGeoff View Post
    Last post I'm going to make on the subject as I don't intend to derail the game thread, but I strongly disagree that it's not BLM since it uses their "fist" logo, which is a surprising rip-off of old communist iconography. It's the imagery I have a problem with, not the message that accompanies it.
    You have no fucking clue what you are talking you right wing jerk. Do you really think the MLS and the NBA would supporting a Marxist organization?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pablo owns BMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a soft spot for Patrick Mullins, I love how hard he works.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Delgado with the nice duck to avoid the ball that allowed it to go to Pablo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could play the academy Friday night and I think we could beat the Caps 2-0.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

VWFC didnt play to the whistle, and they decide to complain, no dice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are lots of ways to support racial equity without involving a Marxist organization like Black Lives Matter, that's my concern. And I am particularly concerned if RPB funds were used for some or all of the banner since we're supposed to be apolitical.
    I hope they were. There is nothing remotely Marxist about supporting Black Lives Matter. Soccer is inclusive and is the worlds sport, and we absolutely should be speaking out against racism. And if BLM talks about class differences or other Marxist analysis, perhaps they have a point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great games from both Marky and Richie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Marc dos Santos is definitely getting fired in the near future. This Whitecaps team sucks, but they don't even look like they care.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solid win tonight. Not sure what this season has in store but nice to watch this team play again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sheer dominance all over the pitch. That was an absolute pleasure to watch.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

don't read too much into this game. Caps are really bad. like CPL level bad
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    I have a soft spot for Patrick Mullins, I love how hard he works.
    This explains your Chad Barrett jersey.
    Last edited by carbontax; 08-18-2020 at 09:31 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Excellent performance. Fluid, efficient, calm and in control. Full credit to Vanney. Not sure Altidore fits the style too well though. Looking forward to seeing Akinola fit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Didn't see the game, just the highlights, but even from that it seemed quite clear Vancouver were just strolling around the pitch most of the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With Jozy on the field, Poz had noone to play the ball through to. Jozy was slow, making bno runs, and rarely where a centre forward should be. As soon as Mullins came on, Poz had someone ahead of him to pass to.
    Jozy is and will always be a legend for us. But if he's always injured or not fit...we would have won by 6 with Akinola on the field tonight.
    I'm really worried about our DP.
    Otherwise we looked good...but difficult to tell with such poor Caps team.
    PS: Fair enough to have views about BLM, but this is not the forum for it!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was great to see, controlled the ball all night and Pablo had some really beauties.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    don't read too much into this game. Caps are really bad. like CPL level bad
    Yeah I was going to say the same. Nice to see Piatti have a game though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice to see Piatti was a good signing.

Bad game by Altidore, it's like he has zero interest/motivation. Again, why this man is being paid that many millions per year? I really hope we'll have a new DP instead of him when his contract expires.

As more posters said, we should not draw any important conclusions regarding the whole TFC after this match, because Whitecaps is a bad team and played like a very bad team.
    Not sure if they would win CPL with this kind of performance.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The night for me is summed up in one play they showed on video at the half.

Adnan takes the ball up and passes to Cavalini who can't get to it but presses - Adnan is the only other one who goes up, looks around, sees nobody else with him and literally waves his hand saying something like "Forget this" in disgust and retreats.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are lots of ways to support racial equity without involving a Marxist organization like Black Lives Matter, that's my concern. And I am particularly concerned if RPB funds were used for some or all of the banner since we're supposed to be apolitical.
    Black lives matter is a communist organization, period. It’s not an “opinion” it’s simply a statement of fact. it’s written all over their website. This is known now. It’s very ignorant for them to try to play this off as no big deal. Didn’t watch the game as soon I saw it, won’t watch another game this year, not purchasing season tickets again.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with everyone else on here that it is hard to rate TFC's performance with Caps being so bad but it was a good game for TFC to build their confidence with passing and game fitness. The only issue the whole game I thought was Altidore like some have said. Almost looked like he didn't know where to play and often times was out wide instead of where you would expect a centre forward to be. Seemed a little slow to react at times too. Unless he can get himself back into game shape (and beast mode) regularly like he has in the past we really need to move on and pick up another DP that is more dynamic to combine with the other guys at the speed they are playing. Altidore was a step behind in the game speed last night it seemed to me. Maybe just getting back to fitness thing but if the rest of the team has been able to get back to fitness there is no reason he shouldn't be as well. He is getting paid a lot so we expect a lot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Altidore is extended until the end of 2022. With his high salary, I don't see any other club acquiring him from us on a transfer (only perhaps a Qatari/Chinese/Saudi/etc club, but I doubt he would he be willing to take that). Perhaps, a US club might trade for him, but he could also have a NTC.

https://www.wakingthered.com/2019/2/...ignated-player

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was a much better result and the team played well compared to the last game of the tournament. OG didn't look nearly as tired with those heavy legs and Bradley did alright too. Someone mentioned above (lil'John) about Jozy being out of position and a few times he was right beside poz at half when he should have been pressing higher up the field. One time I noticed the ball outside wide and Jozy wasn't even in the 18 waiting for the cross...the ball comes over and they let it go to him outside the 18 and he just watched as it went by him. With the exception of when he kept the ball in and Pablo scored the 2nd goal, i wasn't all that impressed with his performance. I am also looking forward to see Ayo out there again.

Not that they were pressing much but against a team that is going to properly do a high press, we are going to have to move the ball quicker and cleaner. will be interesting to see what happens moving forward. Glad we got the win and looking forward to Friday night's game! COYR

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having watched Dos Santos coach for years in Ottawa, I know he's better than this. However, he can only work with what he has been given compared to his peers and this year is pretty much a write-off for most clubs. I could see the Whitecaps FO not spending another dime on the club until next year when the financial outlook is a little clearer.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    I hope they were. There is nothing remotely Marxist about supporting Black Lives Matter. Soccer is inclusive and is the worlds sport, and we absolutely should be speaking out against racism. And if BLM talks about class differences or other Marxist analysis, perhaps they have a point.
    Not to drag out politics where it doesn't need to be but the senior leadership of BLM do in fact claim to be Marxist and they chose the Marxist fist (minus the red star) for their logo on purpose. Some people will always have a problem with Marxism/Communism and that doesn't reflect on racist values or undermine the idea of racial equality. It can simply mean they hate communism and that's fair. I have a lot of friends from former USSR regions and I can tell you they automatically hate anything to do with Communism and Marxism no matter what it is or who it's tied into.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Altidore is an emotional player that has always risen to the occasion for us in big games. I am not sure he'll be able to be at his best playing in empty stadiums. He's just one of those guys that feeds off the energy of the crowd.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Not to drag out politics where it doesn't need to be but the senior leadership of BLM do in fact claim to be Marxist and they chose the Marxist fist (minus the red star) for their logo on purpose. Some people will always have a problem with Marxism/Communism and that doesn't reflect on racist values or undermine the idea of racial equality. It can simply mean they hate communism and that's fair. I have a lot of friends from former USSR regions and I can tell you they automatically hate anything to do with Communism and Marxism no matter what it is or who it's tied into.
    I think the nuance here is we have an organization with a name that is the same as a slogan / general rallying cry for people who want to see improvements in how how the police and others in society treat people of colour. Personally when I hear “Black Lives Matter” I’m not thinking of the organization but rather people trying to fight for equal rights, which I’m supportive of. In no way would I support someone promoting communism. Anyway, my $0.02...

Back to the game... good performance but I noticed Vancouver’s mediocre attempts at a press did cause slight problems on occasion. I think this is something we will have to tighten up in more competitive games if we want to play in this style. But this was a good tune-up match to figure out such things.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 08-19-2020 at 10:45 AM.

RPB Member
    President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello all, we will end this BLM discussion. This is a Game thread, however please see below.

This was a joint project with the other groups and TFC to support our fellow TFC team members, maybe you are not aware our very own Justin Morrow is leading this player coalition. He and many others from the team have reached out to us and thanked us for this banner which was painted maybe 2-3 months ago before the team left for Orlando and displayed to them back then.

FO asked us over the weekend if we wanted to use it again during the games and we (all the groups) gave them the thumbs up to do so.
    Road Games:
    2013, 2014, 2015 - Montreal; 2016 - Montreal (Leg 1 Conference Final); 2017 - NYRB (Leg 1 Eastern Semi), Columbus (Leg 1 Eastern Finals); 2019 - Seattle (MLS Finals)