Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mls announcers

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I wouldn't mind hearing KJ call a game too. I think it's Wileman who always says the Canadian international every touch of the ball..gets a bit much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Normal commentator "What a goal by Smith! And he scored twice here this time last year against Toronto FC."

Wileman: "And a wonderful finish by Smith. The USA international scored two times here this time last year, on July 21, in temperatures of 30+ but with some southeast breeze.
    That 1 p.m. kickoff I recall you showing up late for that one, Steve. Talk about your playing days, Steve! You would have not allowed the USA international such freedom!"

etc. etc. drink. mute.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CBTFC View Post
    I'd love to see/here Kristian Jack call a game. Really enjoy his personality and insight, whether it's in the studio or on the sidelines. Also helps I've had the pleasure of meeting him in person and chatting for a few minutes. You can tell he loves his soccer and is passionate about the game.
    Yeah. Kristian Jack should have a bigger part in the broadcast.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    I couldn’t stand Jason de Vos.
    Me too. I was glad when he pissed off to the CSA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    Luke Wileman is the absolute worst for me. In the last game, I lost count at the number of times I heard about the "Canadian international". Just seems scripted and unoriginal. And part of me thinks he over emphasizes his British accent to the point where it sounds fake. I don't get why we can't just have a local guy run with it.
    How long does a guy have to live in Toronto to be local? He moved here in 2006!

His accent is certainly not fake. I've spoken with him many times so believe me, he is not pushing the accent and by the way, there is no such thing as a "British" accent. There are dozens of accents on the British Isles.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the sake of posterity, I listened to Roy Hudson calling Inter Miami FC goals "magisterial" & "of the highest quality" & just shook my head

By and large, MLS commentators can be summed up in this tweet in response to a beyond obvious hand ball

If the team paying your wages sits, your narrative must fits
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 08-31-2020 at 06:34 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roy Hudson’s entire career was built on bombastic and hyperbolic language, using every synonym available to describe Messi’s brilliance in La Liga. You can’t fault him for his unique style, and at least he doesn’t use crutch words. In fact, I’m convinced he reads the thesaurus before every match as his prep and for vocal warmup.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS has done a great job of getting commentators doing their own matches repping one team and City, though. Watching highlights now I don't even have to make out the teams playing to hear where it's being played. I may have my preferences but for 4mins it's pretty entertaining to hear the different styles.

I'm pretty sure no one likes everything their commentators say or do but I'm at the stage where this is just a chapter. I'll take it as such.

Remember Nigel Reed? Who else called TFC matches through the years? Which of them did we all love all the time?
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 10-24-2020 at 04:17 PM.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER