Thread: Mls announcers

Hybrid View

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Mls announcers

Who is your worst announcer in mls and which ones do you like? I’ll start off by saying I can’t stand it’s in the net guy i get shivers every time I hear him say it. God for bid it’s a high scoring game

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kottisinick View Post
    Who is your worst announcer in mls and which ones do you like? I’ll start off by saying I can’t stand it’s in the net guy i get shivers every time I hear him say it. God for bid it’s a high scoring game

That would be the DCU guy

I kinda like the old guys due for Philly JP Dellacamera & Tommy Smyth (who has stopped doing "back of the old onion bag" as much) - both very knowledgable but get lost when doing games off camera

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Taylor Twellman irritates me as a color guy. Tries way too hard to be funny.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Yes, last night was a perfect example. :-)

But what I like about him is that he's less fearful than most colour guys of being critical, or at least very blunt, of what he is seeing. Shep Messing who does colour for Red Bulls is the same.

A positive vote for JP from me as well.
    Last edited by Mike_S; 07-09-2020 at 08:49 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    I like his honesty about some stuff but I agree and he has been annoying the hell out of me the first two games as well as the other guy trying to join in on being funny. They should just call the soccer game and shut up. I wish as part of the "enhanced" ESPN broadcast we had an option to turn off the announcers so we could enjoy the game more. I would mute my sound but still want to hear the stadium sounds. Oh well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    I like his honesty about some stuff but I agree and he has been annoying the hell out of me the first two games as well as the other guy trying to join in on being funny. They should just call the soccer game and shut up. I wish as part of the "enhanced" ESPN broadcast we had an option to turn off the announcers so we could enjoy the game more. I would mute my sound but still want to hear the stadium sounds. Oh well.
    Honestly, this would be such a great option. Maybe in the future. I never realized how great sports was on TV without commentators until a few years ago watching a Milos Raonic match on TSN that had no commentators on an ESPN feed. It was an incredible back-and-forth game and I got so into it. Then suddenly ESPN added commentators midway through the 5th set and it ruined it. I hadn't even noticed there were no commentators until the commentators showed up. I tried muting it but it wasn't the same. Without the commentators you heard absolutely everything even down to the gusts of wind - things you notice in person but not on TV. It was my most aesthetically enjoyable sports watching experience on television ever.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Minessota got a good commentator.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to say the LAG commentator that does the "He shoots, He scoreeeeees" irritates me - sounds like I'm watching NHL on NBC or something.

Beyond that I think the Timbers colour man is right up there with the worst too. His accent could be authentic but on TV it sounds like he's trying soooooo hard to give his speech an English accent. Comes across as inorganic but I could be wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    Honestly, this would be such a great option. Maybe in the future. I never realized how great sports was on TV without commentators until a few years ago watching a Milos Raonic match on TSN that had no commentators on an ESPN feed. It was an incredible back-and-forth game and I got so into it. Then suddenly ESPN added commentators midway through the 5th set and it ruined it. I hadn't even noticed there were no commentators until the commentators showed up. I tried muting it but it wasn't the same. Without the commentators you heard absolutely everything even down to the gusts of wind - things you notice in person but not on TV. It was my most aesthetically enjoyable sports watching experience on television ever.
    100% agree. A no commentary/unfiltered feed would be amazing for all sports.

I really like the world cup style commentary, just one guy in the booth calling the game with moments of silence. No need for some tool thinking that spewing a bunch of statistics is great commentary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smokecell View Post
    I have to say the LAG commentator that does the "He shoots, He scoreeeeees" irritates me - sounds like I'm watching NHL on NBC or something.

Beyond that I think the Timbers colour man is right up there with the worst too. His accent could be authentic but on TV it sounds like he's trying soooooo hard to give his speech an English accent. Comes across as inorganic but I could be wrong.
    I don’t know if that’s Max Bretos but my vote goes to Max Bretos.

He’s awful. Terrible catch phrases, refers to people by their first names like some kind of cliche Hollywood insider. Basically peak west coast d-bag.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FYI

Inter Miami's booth team includes Ray Hudson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    FYI

Inter Miami's booth team includes Ray Hudson
    Thanks for the warning. I will now avoid their games like the plague!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah watching the Impact game last night I have come to the conclusion that you guys are right about the announcers. Sometimes it would be nice if they just don't say anything, maybe a name for whoever has the ball the odd time. But HOOOOOLLLAAAAAYYYYY they don't want to stop talking and just keep providing you with overload of information. So maybe that's why I cannot really hear the players on the pitch since they wont stop talking. I used to somewhat enjoy it because you get to hear the odd information on players you don't know, and with the sound of the crowd in the background you weren't able to hear the players. Now without the supporters in their seats singing and chanting maybe it would be good to just hear the players communications without the announcers....

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, somebody has to tell TSN they don't need to get through 3 cards of information sheets every single game right now.

Let the game flow

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Announcers are like refs. Can never please everyone

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Announcers are like refs. Can never please everyone
    Do TSN announcers please anyone?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Luke Wileman is awful. Doesn't know how to shut it, for even a minute. Useless factoids all game long. Maddening.

General soccer-wise, Thomas Rongen is also terrible. Know-it-all clown.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The worst are those who do the “gooooooooooooooooooooooo-latzo” thing. It just sounds so fake outside of Latin America.

Not a fan of Tommy Smith either, his Analysis is okay, but his patter is dreadful

TBH, commentators are like referees, the best are the ones you don’t notice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Luke Wileman didn't talk as often he'd be perfect. He gets the flow of the game and knows when to change his cadence to match the action. Just need some dead moments to let the game breath a little.

John Strong I find to be fantastic overall. His delivery during scoring chances is really good. I think he started with the Timbers before becoming the main guy at Fox.

Max Bretos is fucking awful and the sooner Unimas stops broadcasting MLS games the better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont mind Luke. I like Jon Champion's call. Honestly sometimes I will watch a game en espanyol if available because that tends to sound way more exciting. As someone who usually is watching with earbuds in.. just get rid of the canned crowd noise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Luke Wileman is the absolute worst for me. In the last game, I lost count at the number of times I heard about the "Canadian international". Just seems scripted and unoriginal. And part of me thinks he over emphasizes his British accent to the point where it sounds fake. I don't get why we can't just have a local guy run with it.

As for colour commentating, don't get me started on Caldwell. At one point, I recall Adrian Serioux was doing some colour commentating on Gol TV, and I didn't mind him at all. Definitely an upgrade. Whatever happened to him?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    Luke Wileman is the absolute worst for me. In the last game, I lost count at the number of times I heard about the "Canadian international". Just seems scripted and unoriginal. And part of me thinks he over emphasizes his British accent to the point where it sounds fake. I don't get why we can't just have a local guy run with it.
    How long does a guy have to live in Toronto to be local? He moved here in 2006!

His accent is certainly not fake. I've spoken with him many times so believe me, he is not pushing the accent and by the way, there is no such thing as a "British" accent. There are dozens of accents on the British Isles.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    As for colour commentating, don't get me started on Caldwell. At one point, I recall Adrian Serioux was doing some colour commentating on Gol TV, and I didn't mind him at all. Definitely an upgrade. Whatever happened to him?
    I think I may have heard Serioux on DAZN Canada in the last year or two. At least it sounded like him. Caldwell bothers me more than Wileman.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    I think I may have heard Serioux on DAZN Canada in the last year or two. At least it sounded like him. Caldwell bothers me more than Wileman.
    I think I would like Caldwell more if he was the commentator for the other team, that way he might highlight some of the really great things our team does.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    I think I would like Caldwell more if he was the commentator for the other team, that way he might highlight some of the really great things our team does.
    Exactly! And less reverse-biased about fouls and calls...

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WORST: Paul Mariner. Fortunately he is only on some of the Revs games these days.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    WORST: Paul Mariner. Fortunately he is only on some of the Revs games these days.
    Replaced by Charlie Davies - who is way more enthusiastic & knowledgable

I am getting really tired of scripted Wileman - suks out all the originality

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Yeah I forget about him and his rambling gibberish. Thankfully I rarely hear him anymore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't even know or care what their names are but the MTL TSN crew are quantifiably the worst. Like let Buck Martinez call a football match bad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like Luke and Steven. I couldn’t stand Jason de Vos.

Whoever the fuck the “it’s in the net” guy is on my shit list along with Paul Mariner and whoever the North American guy was on the TSN Impact broadcast last night.