Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default MLSisBack Game 1 - TFC Vs DCU - I'm Dreaming Dreams, I'm Schemng Schemes

In theory, this game is Friday 10 July @ 8pm but that is likely to change

Have at It People

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably see some heavy squad rotation with the three group stage games being jammed into a 11 day span. A debut for Pablo Piatti should be in the works for Friday (or whenever the first game is) though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Disclaimer - given that Nashville's game is still not postponed and as of writing is still scheduled for tomorrow it may be prudent to refrain from making any concrete plans for this one. Game time could change last second at this rate. Nashville is, or at least should be, a guarantee for postponement if not removal from the tournament.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup, I left the date & time off the title for a reason

The game tomorrow night with Orlando & Miami is a go but everything else after that is up in the air.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting song to lead us into the tournament.....

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Game time & date officially switched

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lame. Don't expect many DPs to start for either side now.

Shaff-Mullins-Endoh

Osorio-Delgado-Fraser

Morrow-Zavaleta-Romeo-Laryea

Bono

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We won't see a B squad but I suspect some rotation in the second half.

A reminder:

this game is worth points in the supposed MLS reboot schedule for 2020 - that's the MLS restart schedule that is going to be only 20 games. Tanking this tournament requires you to be willing to go on the equivalent of a 5 game losing streak.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

however...I believe only the first 3 round robin games count towards the standings...so if you tank the tournament you would only be on a 3 game losing streak...right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 613reppingTFC View Post
    however...I believe only the first 3 round robin games count towards the standings...so if you tank the tournament you would only be on a 3 game losing streak...right?
    I think he’s pro-rating the weight of a loss based on a 20 game season vs 34.

9AM pints anyone??

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smokecell View Post
    I think he’s pro-rating the weight of a loss based on a 20 game season vs 34.

9AM pints anyone??
    Yup on both counts - might do mimosas though.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 07-08-2020 at 06:38 AM. Reason: was thinking drink but food came out...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Game time & date officially switched

Yay! I can watch it now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All games should be serious affairs group games because the first 3 count in the standings and if you advance you want to try and win that Champions League spot.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    All games should be serious affairs group games because the first 3 count in the standings and if you advance you want to try and win that Champions League spot.
    MLS ever say what will happen to Dallas and presumably Nashville if they don't play any of these matches? Three 3-0 losses or are they going to try to make it up somehow later?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    MLS ever say what will happen to Dallas and presumably Nashville if they don't play any of these matches? Three 3-0 losses or are they going to try to make it up somehow later?
    They said they will make it up for them so they don't miss the regular season games because of missing the tourney. That is where I think this thing is a mess because what about the teams that play with less players but not enough to drop out of the tourney....they can't possibly even the playing field for every scenario. Maybe some teams without 5 players especially key ones would like to opt to not compete if given the option and also make up the 3 games the way Dallas is going. What about teams that start the tourney but then get more results as it goes....what then. I am glad I don't have to figure it all out because there is probably no scenario that makes everything even or makes every team happy.

Also, how do you make up season games for one team? Does that mean they play teams that are essentially having an exhibition game because it only counts for Dallas?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    They said they will make it up for them so they don't miss the regular season games because of missing the tourney. That is where I think this thing is a mess because what about the teams that play with less players but not enough to drop out of the tourney....they can't possibly even the playing field for every scenario. Maybe some teams without 5 players especially key ones would like to opt to not compete if given the option and also make up the 3 games the way Dallas is going. What about teams that start the tourney but then get more results as it goes....what then. I am glad I don't have to figure it all out because there is probably no scenario that makes everything even or makes every team happy.

Also, how do you make up season games for one team? Does that mean they play teams that are essentially having an exhibition game because it only counts for Dallas?
    There won't be a regular season. They know it. thats the only way this makes sense

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post

There's probably a way to work it out so that they can fill in matches to make it. USL is restarting their season and teams had played 1,2, or 3 games. They will all play equal at the end. Given Nashville and Dallas will both be down 3 games, they'll probably play twice or thrice against each other in tournament make-up games, probably between the end of the group stage and the finals.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Assuming DCU plays Benny ball against us & parks the bus, this is going to be another exercise in "can anybody but Jozy threaten to score". Bill Hamid is a keeper who can stand on his head for 90 minutes - but he makes one bonehead play every game.

We have to be organized, move the ball quickly, attack them in wide areas & shoot the dang ball when given the option.

We are the better team, with more depth. We should be winning this one.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Assuming DCU plays Benny ball against us & parks the bus, this is going to be another exercise in "can anybody but Jozy threaten to score". Bill Hamid is a keeper who can stand on his head for 90 minutes - but he makes one bonehead play every game.

We have to be organized, move the ball quickly, attack them in wide areas & shoot the dang ball when given the option.

Yeah I think they will play the park the bus and counter approach for this one. It almost worked in the playoffs for them until TFC went on their OT run of goals. DC will be very happy letting us pass the ball around the perimeter of their half but we need to find a way to penetrate to get some decent shots on Hamid. I think if we can get an early goal DC could lose the mentality pretty fast with "here we go again" because some of their players are still talking about last year's loss in the playoffs as if it is still a fresh wound for them. I have more confidence that the current TFC group can find a way to break the bunker. In the old days bunker is all teams had to do to TFC and TFC had no answers.

I really hope we get to see what Piatti brings to the table with his price tag and DP spot. Aside from seeing the team play again that is my main thing I am looking forward to. Hopefully we are not disappointed.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The biggest thing here for me is about getting their feet back under them after being off for so long and to be honest without Jozy on the pitch this team is completely different, it lacks something. I will be interested to see if Piatti makes his debut.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Lame. Don't expect many DPs to start for either side now.

Shaff-Mullins-Endoh

Osorio-Delgado-Fraser

Morrow-Zavaleta-Romeo-Laryea

Bono
    Yuck that looks like a 2014 tier lineup. If that’s the lineup I can’t watch. I know the exact standard I can tolerate now vs what I can’t. I know my threshold lol Once you get into the Zav’s and Shaff’s it becomes unwatchable.
    Last edited by Defoe; 07-10-2020 at 05:49 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One hour to kickoff, its go time for the three points. Lets knockout DCU.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Time to wake up, its a TFC Day.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Come on you reds! Here we go, it's almost game time

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kickoff likely 9:20 (cause ESPN or whomever habitually needs that 20 minutes to talk about things)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And so it begins

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone have any good ideas for breakfast and TFC this morning

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jozy not even in the 23

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just like the World Cup, 23 available players, 12 subs on the bench.