View Poll Results: Should TFC Play National Anthems Before Games?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

22 48.89%
  • No

23 51.11%
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Should TFC Play National Anthem(s) Before Games

Just wondering what people think
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 06-29-2020 at 06:13 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally I don’t care. It’s a North American thing though so I don’t see it ever changing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Given that all the sports leagues have both American and Canadian teams, I don't mind the anthems. Plus, given how BMO sings along like it does and has made it a great tradition, I don't think most people would want to get rid of it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

- I like singing the anthem
    - I like it when there are two Canadian teams playing and we're all singing the same anthem
    - I like it when there are two teams from different countries playing and we hear two different anthems

Do I need to hear the anthems at the beginning of every game in every sport? Probably not. International games and special occasions, for sure.

This is interesting, and makes sense: https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/...porting-events

I wonder how baseball players feel doing it at least 162 times a year (particularly if you're not from either country).
    Toronto 'til I die - but I think they're trying to kill me.

RPB Member
    Banners Team

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Given that all the sports leagues have both American and Canadian teams, I don't mind the anthems. Plus, given how BMO sings along like it does and has made it a great tradition, I don't think most people would want to get rid of it.
    Agreed ...its one of the few things we can get everyone from north-end to south-end singing together...and unique to BMO and soccer as the other sports fans rarely join in at their stadiums. Let's not lose it. I have great memories of a certain all star game long ago where the crowd thought the anthem was not going to be played and everyone started belting it out acapella before the honour guard could get into position to play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

YES!

Be proud to be Canadian... even in the present circumstances.

Last edited by PizzaEatingYeti; 06-30-2020 at 09:44 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Meh. I really don't care.

It's great when the stadium is full and everyone has their scarves up and singing the anthem - but nowadays that only happens during playoff or meaningful games when people actually show up early to participate.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Should we do it before they start the movie in movie theatres? At plays?

I don’t get why we ever do it.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get rid of it for all sporting events aside from international events. Americans came up with this idea to remind everyone how great they are, how about we stop feeling so insecure that we need to belt the anthem to feel great.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Should we do it before they start the movie in movie theatres? At plays?

I don’t get why we ever do it.
    When I lived in Pakistan almost 40 years ago, they would always play the Pakistani National Anthem before the movie started in the theatre. Everyone would stand up and pay their respects before sitting down and watching the movie. I think it depends on the nation, so it might not be as uncommon as people think.

RPB Member
    Treasurer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaEatingYeti View Post
    YES!

Be proud to be Canadian... even in the present circumstances.

In the situation pictured, love it. At club games, I'l respect it but don't get into it. Yes it is nice as a collective stadium singing opportunity but it is an out of place (north) American tradition.
    That's all I'll say about that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, absolutely.

I’m not even Canadian (yet) but still relish singing the anthem amongst 25/30 thousand like-minded people. Other Brits and maybe Canadians may be perplexed or even offended that a ‘foreigner’ joins in the national anthem but I feel Canadian and will always belt it out whenever attending a game.

I love it because this country has been good to me and I appreciate that. My wife and daughter are born Canadians and I look forward to the day I can travel on a passport bearing a Maple Leaf beside them. The National Anthem was the first thing my girl ever knowingly taught me.

Besides, if not a game, when else would we get the chance?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No.

I’ve never understood why the anthem is played when it is not a national team that is playing. It makes zero sense, wastes time and would not miss it if it stopped. The games are between Cities not Countries.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

absolutely the anthem should be played - - well absolutely if we could EVER get fans into their seats, at the very minimum, 10 minutes prior to a game - we used to do that way back in the day - really....

actually i'd be happier with that then the anthem - but i'd take both, in a flash, if i had my druthers.

I have to confess - the full stadium singing the anthem proudly & loudly before TFC games brings a tear to the eye...

and i am more than positive it stoked the players spirits and brought a spark to their step to start the game and a lilt & engagement for the voices around the stadium

propelling our team and letting our opponent understand that:

THIS IS OUR HOUSE

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, It's leftover from WW1 era as a support to US soldiers.
    If we truly want to honor those who serve and instill pride in our country, then how about ensuring our veterans have adequate health care. Improving our under-performing schools so every child has an equal shot at success. Prohibiting discrimination, in all forms.

National team games only
    Last edited by denime; 07-01-2020 at 11:54 AM.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post
    No, It's leftover from WW1 era as a support to US soldiers.
    If we truly want to honor those who serve and instill pride in our country, then how about ensuring our veterans have adequate health care. Improving our under-performing schools so every child has an equal shot at success. Prohibiting discrimination, in all forms.

National team games only

I've never seen the singing of the anthem as "honouring those that serve".... it's about honouring the country...all the people..... Somehow in recent years its been distorted as a military thing...the Americans are the worst with remove you hats....put your hand on your heart....

I've seen the national anthems booed loudly & that is Ok IMO. GSTQ boooed so loudly you couldn't hear a note at Hampden in Scotland...with Margaret Thatcher present to witness it. The US anthem in Montreal at the Forum..during one of their many wars.

So for me as much as I love this country the anthems need to go. Mostly because I really don't like having to stand their for the US anthem.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My problem with it is that it is insincere. How many Raptors or Blue Jays or TFC players are from Canada - 5% overall? Even the Leafs are maybe 50%.

Michael and Jozy have a connection to Toronto not Canada. If there were a “Toronto” anthem I might feel differently...
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW it's an American patriotic tradition that began in MLB during WWI, I guess at some point other sports and Canadians picked up the custom. Here's a little history:

https://www.wbur.org/onlyagame/2018/...8-world-series
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I put this question up because I was thinking it through and wondered what people thought. I respect all the opinions so far & thanks for helping me focus this a bit. Much appreciated.

My thoughts? Today (cause the last few months have taught me that ideas/thoughts can change quickly with the circumstances)

I personally don't see the need for anthems. I get it. I enjoyed singing the Canadian anthem with gusto & scarf raised.

But its not necessary.

I have significant issues with the US anthem right now - guy who wrote it owned slaves so the "home of the free" was definitely not for Black people -read the 3rd verse where he makes it explicit. I have a history degree - I know the world changed since then but that guy was a piece of work. More importantly, it HURTS people mentally to have to kneel through it - its not necessary. (see NWSL this week - that was freaking cruel)

So, I voted no.

When this is over and we get back, not sure what I would do for the US anthem if the team or league had it played - kneel, turn my back, boo, just sit. Depends on the time, I guess.

Canadian one I'd stand for & sing - but do we ever have some problems we need to work out too - see the idiocy just this week about "we don't do politics" by one supporter group's leadership (3 guesses who but you only will need 1) who didn't want to get in on an anti-racism flag presentation to/with the team.

Life ain't easy, and I'm just trying to listen more. Thanks you all for giving me something to ponder this all through.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, they should only be played before International matches.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been against the American anthem for a long time, for the reasons you mentioned Og, but also the militaristic nonsense that surrounds so much of that culture (i.e. "let's fly some fighter jets over during it for no goddamn reason", "how dare you kneel, support the troops", all that bullshit). I have issues with the Canadian anthem as well, but to a much lesser extent. However if it meant never having to hear the American one played again in the stadium I'd gladly give up raising my scarf for the Canadian one at games so I voted No.
    TFC management changes: "like adding a new fish to your aquarium of failure." - Shakes

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

. If there were a “Toronto” anthem I might feel differently...
    Me too. I have no interest in any natrional anthems before matches as it's at best a pointless practice. A regional I would sing for sure but that won't happen.

In recent times they've been playing the "Legend TFC" tune before matches and it's actually an original song without any political issues so why not just sing that to get the pre-match singing fix?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There was nothing wrong with having no anthems during CONCACAF. If there are no anthems pre match, we can always make it a pre match chant instead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My problem with it is that it is insincere. How many Raptors or Blue Jays or TFC players are from Canada - 5% overall? Even the Leafs are maybe 50%.

Michael and Jozy have a connection to Toronto not Canada. If there were a “Toronto” anthem I might feel differently...
    I disagree it’s insincere. The anthem before the game isn’t about the nationalities of the 22 chaps on the field, it’s about the pride of the thousands in the stands and is very much sincere.

We have a couple minutes before the game starts to make a noise about where we live and who we are, followed by 90 to sing our anthems, established or impromptu, to those playing in our colours, for our city.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All soccer support should be about the unity of the players and the fans. Sometimes that includes the manager. But that's it.

I feel this is what makes soccer special, precious, different. Including politics/nationalism, however benignly, just screws with the magic. (It also can go very wrong - the Leafs under Peddie hid behind the flag for years. Also see the NFL.)
    Last edited by ensco; 07-02-2020 at 05:13 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it would be more effective if it was just big games. Opening day, champions league, playoffs. Canada day if there's a game.
    I'm old enough to remember doing the lords prayer every day in school. Just because something is a tradition, we don't have to continue doing it.
    That said, i don't see American leagues ever doing away with the anthem, especially given its military tie ins recently (flyovers etc), so it's here to stay.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With all of our flaws and there are many. There are very few places in this world that are better to live in. We need to support and fix wrongs. If people have issues to protest then I am glad that we can and will do that openly without fear. And if there is fear then we need to defend for all. It simply means we should stand up for each other, try to pull together and make this place more inclusive, tolerant, forgiving and the best place to live.... just my two cents

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    With all of our flaws and there are many. There are very few places in this world that are better to live in. We need to support and fix wrongs. If people have issues to protest then I am glad that we can and will do that openly without fear. And if there is fear then we need to defend for all. It simply means we should stand up for each other, try to pull together and make this place more inclusive, tolerant, forgiving and the best place to live.... just my two cents

Sorry one caveat.... If you are an Impact fan then....TicTac