Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Sounds like Vanney doesn't want the team to go down into the bubble yet.
    https://twitter.com/KristianJack/sta...24367648784384

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    It's fucking July and hot as balls, who gives a flying fadoo about hockey.

Not me BUT...they, and in particular, MLSE are going to try to make a bubble sport event work in Toronto. It bears watching.

The CBus positive result is still likely brought in. But that is still YIKES time because it indicates MLS didn't take incubation into account when it was figuring out timing for all this.

To add to what jabbronies said here's the follow up

Last edited by OgtheDim; 07-02-2020 at 02:24 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FCD a little shaky to be involved right away

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Florida is a fucking deathtrap right now because their arrogant criminal mental midget of a governor thought he knew better than all the health expert saying otherwise! So he opened up the state despite protests from local officials, and now it's out of control and he's blaming others for the problem except him!

Just shut all the goddamned sports down in North America right now until there's a vaccine available to the public! This is so not worth it! Imagine what would happen if LeBron James or Sidney Crosby tested positive for the virus and got gravely ill as a result of it!
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.latimes.com/sports/socce...be-in-jeopardy

This tournament should be cancelled.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm...more testing?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And now the NYRB have postponed a day due to a "staff member's inconclusive result".

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is no possible scenario where they play this tournament and no one has the corona virus, who in their right mind thought that was possible? There are two options:
    1) Someone has corona so you cancel the tournament
    2) You play through out it, when someone tests positive they isolate for 3 weeks and everyone who is negative plays in the games

Which one will they pick?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good luck to the team that losses 3 goal keepers lmao.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have never said this in all my years here, but...

Garber has to go. This is an off-the-charts s*$tshow, and predictably so.

First he bungles the contract renewal in February and forgets to include Force Majeure language. Then, in order to fix that, he goes to the mattresses and threatens to lock the players out (in a pandemic!), which will set labour relations back 10 years. In doing that, he decides MLS has to be the first league playing, even though no one watches it on TV, and makes this greasefire tournament the centrepiece of his plan. All he had to do was sit back and let a league with actual pressure to play, like the NBA, play, and see what happens!

For me, I'm done with him. We need someone with a blank slate to clean this mess up.

(Also I am just totally thrilled that our best young striker prospect just picked up a career threatening injury, for nothing!)
    Last edited by ensco; 07-03-2020 at 02:43 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apparently TFC didn't travel because the latest sets of tests were sent to the States and delayed getting back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Impact were pulled off the training field this evening with a suspected positive case.

Shut. It. Down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This to me looks to be over. There are positive tests jumping out left and right. They’d be beyond pale to continue forward from here.

And to frank, what a silly bet. They’ve just taken a financial hit to try this clown parade.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smokecell View Post
    The Impact were pulled off the training field this evening with a suspected positive case.

Shut. It. Down.
    Not sure where you saw the Impact news; I haven't found that yet.

However ANOTHER Dallas player tested positive. Vanney said something yesterday about some people in MLS not being careful, for example going to restaurants (whereas all of TFC have been very careful). I wonder if he was referring to Dallas?

Also here's the Deadspin on it (specifically about Columbus): https://deadspin.com/entire-team-now...ete-1844263469

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ there is a new, muck-raking twitter account that has broken some news of infections in prior cases and they cited the Montreal events last night. Not sure if credible.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MLSCovidCup

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    ^ there is a new, muck-raking twitter account that has broken some news of infections in prior cases and they cited the Montreal events last night. Not sure if credible.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MLSCovidCup
    The training portion now confirmed by Sam Stejskal.

Also confirmed case for MNUFC inside the bubble.

Yikes.

EDIT: Dallas first game now officially postponed as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All it takes is one to team to step up and say we're not playing.

MLSE has the clout to do such a thing and its time they step up to protect the players, staff and everyone else involved.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As much as I was getting excited for some football, I'm liking what I'm seeing from the club. I would totally understand if we opted out. It would send a message that this organization takes care of its personnel and is serious about what is still a global health crisis, even if it meant going against the league.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    All it takes is one to team to step up and say we're not playing.

MLSE has the clout to do such a thing and its time they step up to protect the players, staff and everyone else involved.
    Not sure yet why the charter plane turned around again today when on its way to Toronto but I still think its more likely "we are waiting for tests to get across the border to us" - which is a nice convenient excuse.

Just a note on the MNUFC positive

They were in the bubble on June 28th - if that test was yesterday, in theory its from on their way in or a few days before. The science of incubation is unclear but most people go with 5-7 days. There's no clear conclusive evidence that somebody caught Covid in the bubble...yet.

What there is though is clear conclusive evidence MLS did not take incubation into account when creating its window of entry time to the buble & when teams could get out of team isolation.

The league somehow either never looked at incubation or made an assumption that players would not get it within 7 days of leaving.

Yeah, this is all looking like about 6 weeks from when Garber announces his retirement.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I argued this before and don't want to be repetitive, but that never stopped me before...

Without hundreds of millions in TV revenue at stake, I don’t think MLS (a) can or will pay for the tens of millions of dollars that proper security would cost, and (b) I am not sure that security is really available at any cost (this is becoming a talking point in the NBA restart)

I fully expect Jozy to walk out if the team/league doesn’t. I hope he knows everyone here has his back.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jozy's twitter account has been doing eye pops about Covid Florida numbers for a couple of weeks now. As have others.

Rollins makes a good point as well

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://twitter.com/sonjamissio/stat...099598850?s=21

Well Mavinga liking this post connects a lot of dots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just spitballing here:

Could they do this tournament in S. Ontario? (Once there are no positive cases, of course).

There are enough decent stadiums around Toronto, Hamilton, Guelph, Kitchener, etc., you could stick each group somewhere, isolate them, they play the group games, then half of them go home and you have the whole knockout stages at BMO.

Is that feasible?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Just spitballing here:

Could they do this tournament in S. Ontario? (Once there are no positive cases, of course).

There are enough decent stadiums around Toronto, Hamilton, Guelph, Kitchener, etc., you could stick each group somewhere, isolate them, they play the group games, then half of them go home and you have the whole knockout stages at BMO.

Is that feasible?

If, as suspected, these cases are people getting Covid before they go to Orlando, the bubble is only half the problem. And, as we are going to see with the NHL, if there is an outbreak where service workers live who serve the hotels & other needs of the travelling groups, there are going to be issues. Covid cases in Toronto are being found within communities now - the LTCH are not the feeder of the cases we have. Thankfully, there isn't much spread but its not going away.

As for the latest development:

I have a suspicion somebody with TFC might have volunteered to have symptoms - note they said traveling party.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This whole thing is a disaster. As much as I want to watch soccer again and hope that the tournament goes ahead I don’t think it’s worth it to ask players to put themselves at any further risk.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think its pretty clear, to me at least, that TFC and MLSE couldnt care less about this and are trying to game the system so they dont have to step foot in Florida and play in this.

Vanney's comments, the money burned on the diverted charters*, players comments on social media....(I'd wager good money Omar is running the COVID Cup Insider account and fucked up by putting the sammich on his personal account when he wasnt in Florida yet)

*If MLS HQ are paying for the charters fucking lolz

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One nice thing is the tone of this board throughout this whole thing. The players come on here and read this. I don’t ever need them to admit it, but they do. They know we have their back.

It's heartening to see the vast majority of devoted fans putting player health first.