Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's also been a slight change to the format of this tournament, in terms of qualifying for the knockout stages..

Now it is the 3 best teams in Group A, and the 2 best teams in each of the remaining groups that will advance automatically.

As well as the 3 best teams of the 4th place team in group A plus the 3rd place team of the other groups (these will be the "wild card" teams).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spe18 View Post

As well as the 3 best teams of the 4th place team in group A plus the 3rd place team of the other groups (these will be the "wild card" teams).
    Not exactly. It's the the 3 teams with the best records from all groups that will advance, though it is likely that it will end up as you described it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_S View Post
    Not exactly. It's the the 3 teams with the best records from all groups that will advance, though it is likely that it will end up as you described it.
    Actually, the rules were changed (see here: https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/...ack-tournament)

A1, A2, A3 go into the round of 16, along with the top two from all other groups. There are an additional 3 wildcard spots, for the 3 teams with the best record remaining out of all groups.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PSA

Gonna wait wait a few days to put up a game thread. Its 2 weeks tomorrow & things are just a little weird in Florida right now (see Orlando Pride - positive, not positive - situation)

I still think this goes on but the last few months has me cautious about commitments.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great to see the boys back down at BMO training after so many months away. Beautiful to see.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Orlando player tests positive while a few others likely in quarantine.

(source is The Athletic)

Orlando in the bubble but not saying who is in the bubble.

Apparently disclosure of whom is in the bubble are at the club's discretion, until the time (not yet disclosed) when rosters must be set.

If you thought the roster rules were opaque, just watch all this in the next few weeks.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 06-27-2020 at 01:54 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those idiots are still debating the usage of masks. Hope we keep the border closed until the new year.

Have you seen the huge surge in cases for Florida, Texas and California? The US has not even reached its peak yet, its just getting started.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To me, it looks like the Southern States just wasted the 2 months of quarantine and they don't have the economic reserves to do another lockdown. They're going to choose Trump's "let it wash through' method of dealing with it. Just imagine the stress the players that are there are under. Think of the stress they must be under to compete in an environment like that?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS announces info on Covid tests so far

Union might be forcing the transparency here.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Davidson indicating nobody with TFC or VCWC has tested positive.

https://www.tsn.ca/toronto-fc-whitec...club-1.1490602

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    To me, it looks like the Southern States just wasted the 2 months of quarantine and they don't have the economic reserves to do another lockdown. They're going to choose Trump's "let it wash through' method of dealing with it. Just imagine the stress the players that are there are under. Think of the stress they must be under to compete in an environment like that?
    Listening to Sportsnet's podcast, "A Kick in the Grass" today and Dan Riccio mentioned that the media have been hearing good reviews from the teams that are already in the bubble. Marc Dos Santos who was interviewed in the podcast also confirmed being told similar comments by his sources.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, weird tweet from Omar Gonzalez because I thought the team was at training today

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ Yeah, I thought they were going to head down a week before their first game, which would have been this Friday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So TFC play not this friday but next friday, July 10. Only 10 days to go

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I really don't understand the tweets from Omar & Zavaleta, with the crappy MLS food. I thought TFC was still in Toronto?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    I really don't understand the tweets from Omar & Zavaleta, with the crappy MLS food. I thought TFC was still in Toronto?
    They are in Florida and were in the 12 hour initial testing quarantine zone - the team paid for the food there but the offerings provided were chosen by Disney. Apparently the food out of quarantine is more what they are all used to.

The MLSE chef at the KIA ground is very very good at her job of keeping the players and staff on point physically - but this is like a few months of road trip. Not sure how the diet plans are going to work through all this.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They are in Florida and were in the 12 hour initial testing quarantine zone - the team paid for the food there but the offerings provided were chosen by Disney. Apparently the food out of quarantine is more what they are all used to.

The MLSE chef at the KIA ground is very very good at her job of keeping the players and staff on point physically - but this is like a few months of road trip. Not sure how the diet plans are going to work through all this.
    Maybe some of the US-based TFC players went to Orlando earlier? A number of TFC players are still posting things from the Downsview training grounds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Maybe some of the US-based TFC players went to Orlando earlier? A number of TFC players are still posting things from the Downsview training grounds.
    That's what I was thinking.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This Orlando plan is going sideways fast, Dallas has announced six players have tested positive and Nashville has delayed their departure for Florida while waiting on some test results. MLS better be sure about this. Player are pulling out of the NBA restart too.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I was going to post the same thing. In some respects hindsight is 20/20 but in others this was not a smart plan.

The availability of hotel / field / conference space in Florida caused the league to overlook the first and most obvious problem: the state is completely out of control.

Outside of that, if infection took off during a tennis tournament in a non hot spot... I fear how this could turn out. They are really playing with fire here.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty sure Florida was picked due to ESPN / Disney being able to do all the stuff within the bubble. Only really 1 corporation to be dealt with for much of this.

BUT, you have to create an actual bubble - and that is very very hard with this many moving parts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Agree Disney puts a name to what I was trying to describe and in theory makes it convenient from a logistical standpoint

But... I just don’t see how you create an actual bubble in the middle of this state. The service workers and others supporting the event are vulnerable and it’s hard to keep everyone at a distance.

It really only takes a few slip ups and this thing is off the rails. If the FCD news dropped closer to game day this tournament would be completely off the rails. Never mind the league’s best player already taking a pass on it.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 07-01-2020 at 08:22 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be fair, this plan was made before Florida went crazy – now the question is do they have the cojones to pull the plug if too many players test positive?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This plan (and others) was made because Florida was one of the only place with relaxed enough rules to let it happen.
    Toronto 'til I die - but I think they're trying to kill me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty sure Florida was picked due to ESPN / Disney being able to do all the stuff within the bubble. Only really 1 corporation to be dealt with for much of this.

BUT, you have to create an actual bubble - and that is very very hard with this many moving parts.
    Yes, I read MLS wanted this place so that they make the company they will be negotiating a tv deal with in a couple of years happy.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Side note to all this

Toronto is likely to be picked to be one of 2 NHL bubble playoff hubs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's fucking July and hot as balls, who gives a flying fadoo about hockey.
    Last edited by Richard; 07-02-2020 at 09:43 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Three more Dallas players test positive; I think they’re up to a total of 12 positives? (Incl the 3 cases they already found before departure from Dallas.)

I hope the Florida bubble is managed better than the Melbourne quarantine hotels (guards having sex with people under quarantine, & spreading the virus out into the general population).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Columbus now with a positive test. This looks very close being shuttered to me. I can only imagine the conversations being had between the league and the union right now.