Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    Houston up 1-0. If it stays as a Houston win, Toronto vs Vancouver. That will be fun.
    Yeah this is what I am hoping for. All Canadian game would be fun.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NYCFC - just crazy.....go Timbers!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What a stupid defender on Houston. Hauls down a Galaxy player on the corner with the ball no where near in the 90th minute. Penalty kick and Galaxy tie the game, eliminates Houston. And because of that we don't get our all Canadian matchup vs Vancouver.

Alright, time to focus. Sunday. TFC vs NYCFC

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bring on NYCFC, its about the team you are playing not the ones that you won't be.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Portland vs Cincinnati....go Cinci!!
    Last edited by tfcfans; 07-24-2020 at 01:17 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking at the updated bracket, barring any sudden dips in form or injuries of the teams, there is a half decent chance we could see a TFC-Seattle final. That would be very interesting to see happen yet again.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Atlanta has serious issues with recruitment & balance but more importantly, a flawed philosophy

They were built to buy medium & sell high but failed that in 3 ways

a) they had one success - Almiron

b) they could easily have sold on Martinez but because they had no other attacking options, they instead built their team around him - mistake (which we learned in 2018 after we built around Seba)

c) their 2nd generation buy mediums have not panned out

My biggest issue with how this has happened is not Atlanta's insufferable born on 3rd base attitude, which is really just being born on their opponents 35 yard line in the first series of the first quarter of the first game of the season because teams are a LONG term project.

No my issue is how the league saw ATL's initial success and owners used it to change the DP rules so that teams like ours, who buy proven DP's can't continue. Cheapskate ownership in Minnesota, Vancouver & Dallas used Atlanta's success to argue there wasn't a need for 3 DPs.

For that, I don't blame Atlanta but I do blame the "there's a new kid in town" attitude of MLS punditry, media & fans.
    Oh, look, they fired DeBoer.

I forgot - that was their 4th failure - hiring a first coach who couldn't be replicated without blowing up the team

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What did de Boer do wrong? Losing this crappy tournament?

If Deleon doesn’t hit that strike last year, they are back hosting MLS Cup.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

Sounds like lots of internal stuff going on already last year between him and the team and then the culmination of all that was that he fully lost the locker room and subsequently they bombed out of this tourney.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    Sounds like lots of internal stuff going on already last year between him and the team and then the culmination of all that was that he fully lost the locker room and subsequently they bombed out of this tourney.
    Sounds like Aron Winter v2. AT least they didn't have to suffer with going 0-9 and the "worst team in the world" moniker.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Sounds like Aron Winter v2. AT least they didn't have to suffer with going 0-9 and the "worst team in the world" moniker.
    I mean Bob de Klerk is at Atlanta.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by magmadragon View Post
    ....and got the boot along with de Boer and a couple others.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Athletic article about all this leans heavily on the players but does discuss how the assistants didn't show up to some practices when De Boer was away - players on their own.

Sound unorganized & unprofessional.

The issues with the organization as a whole remain - their marketing team & the supporters call them "the Kings" - the club even called their latest kit "The King's Kit"

Hubris within that organization is huge

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've tried to get into this tournament, and just can't.

So much more important issues in the world right now, plus I hate players being potentially put at risk.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In theory, the games moving forward should be better. 3 games in a couple of weeks so the rust should be lessened. The cruddy teams are mostly gone. The "we are OK with a draw" factor is over - its put up or shut up in one game time. All games are at night and all teams are rested.

And, don't discount the pride factor here:

A whole bunch of alpha males just got to see a whole lot of other alpha males slink away from the House with their eyes down humiliated. None of them want to do that again without giving their all for 90 minutes. Add that to people wanting to make these weeks away from home & family actually mean something.

I suspect these games will come out hard and heavy (with the exception of Cinci & DCU who will park the bus)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I never found him overly compelling as a manager but in general, I agree, results are reasonable enough.

The entitlement of that organization is really something. Less than five years in they think everything is MLS Cup win or bust.

Careful what you wish for cause pushing on your team to win in every moment when it just isn’t possible will turn you into the James Dolan’s Knicks instead of Manchester United.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Every team in this league at some point has to have a player who is somewhat of an existential threat to score.

Montreal has not replaced Piatti and thus have no such threat.

We have 2 in Jozy & Poz.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have pretty much only watched highlights. More than half the goals I have seen have been shambolic, like the Orlando goal last night.

For whatever reason, the quality of play is not there.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I expect the rest of the games to be rough since players basically have a free yellow card each game (no accumulation game to game).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I expect the rest of the games to be rough since players basically have a free yellow card each game (no accumulation game to game).
    Interesting, I wasn't aware of that. I can see minutes 80+ having a lot of players being grabbed and hauled down 35+ yards away from the goal on fast counter attacks

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bubble seems to be working - no positive tests since the Nashville & Dallas Bozzo eruptions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have pretty much only watched highlights. More than half the goals I have seen have been shambolic, like the Orlando goal last night.

For whatever reason, the quality of play is not there.
    Thus us for the first hour last night and NYFC being the only team that has actually shown. I guess revenge is a decent motivator. ALthough frankly i looked at the two starting lineups and thought “man, we’re a good team, but that is a much better roster.”

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

this was a bad look for MLS. I guess the heat will blamed for the shitty play, maybe the rusty legs - whatever the excuse. This tournament overall has been shit so far.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    this was a bad look for MLS. I guess the heat will blamed for the shitty play, maybe the rusty legs - whatever the excuse. This tournament overall has been shit so far.
    I disagree. I'm quite enjoying the tournament. Then again, I had no expectation at all.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    I disagree. I'm quite enjoying the tournament. Then again, I had no expectation at all.
    I agree. I have enjoyed these games much more with the intimate stadiums and live mikes, it feels like you are watching live. I've fallen asleep every time I've tried to watch an EPL game in the empty stadiums and canned in fans. Feels more like a video game. My big piss off is why is TSN not showing any of the games tonight?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol the tournament has been pretty entertaining more or less, a lot of goals and some exciting finishes. Real vs San Jose ended up 5-2 for the surprising Earthquake’s team. Don’t blame MLS for TFC’s short cummings who despite their ok record in the 3 division games has shown some troubling signs. Moreover, hopefully this Piatti guy improves because I’m starting to have memories of a guy named Mista !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Given the current state of affairs it looks like it would have been much better to scrap the knockout in favour of squeezing in as many regular season games in Orlando as possible. Bubbles seem to be working. MLS is looking to change lanes to the MLB model in August which is looking...shambolic at best.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    I agree. I have enjoyed these games much more with the intimate stadiums and live mikes, it feels like you are watching live. I've fallen asleep every time I've tried to watch an EPL game in the empty stadiums and canned in fans. Feels more like a video game. My big piss off is why is TSN not showing any of the games tonight?
    TSN showed the games. San Jose vs RSL ended up being entertaining as a neutral.

It's the upcoming Thurs/Fri games I'm annoyed about. Not on TSN4 but one of the other TSN channels. I don't have a fancy pants cable package with all 5. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KGH View Post
    So I've been thinking....whats the end game here? Awesome there's a few games....but then what? There's no way the regular season happens with teams playing in their own stadiums. Lets miraculously say there is something that gets going south of the border there's not going to be any games north. Look what the Jays have to do for the travel exemption to avoid the 14 day isolation. They're locked in a bubble at the dome and guys are all over social media complaining about being in prison...which they are. Unless their family is locked in there with them they can't exit to see their kids. No bangy bangy. Nothing. Same with the NHL and NBA finishing out their seasons. They're locked up.

The only way there's more games is if they pick another location in the US and do another tourny in a bubble. I just can't see any other way around play games in 2020.
    So back to my question...beyond the final few games in this tourny I can't see the league being able to do anything again for the remainder of the year unless its another tourny in a bubble. The final game of the is tournament is Aug 11. For some teams they won't have played a game for 4-5 weeks unless you're Dallas or Nashville who haven't played since march. You have to give some teams a chance to rest post tourny while you have to give others a chance to get their fitness up. So that's a min of ~8 weeks off again with no games for most teams.

The Canadian teams are not going to be allowed to play in their home stadiums this year so I don't see those players being cool with having to leave their families in Toronto for the remainder of the year while they play in Buffalo (Or whatever new home stadium would be picked). There's also no way I see the union agreeing to put players in danger as we watch MLB implode playing outside of a bubble (I give them two more weeks before they are forced to shut down with too many cases).

So where does the league go from here this year?
    Last edited by KGH; 07-30-2020 at 01:36 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KGH View Post
    So back to my question...beyond the final few games in this tourny I can't see the league being able to do anything again for the remainder of the year unless its another tourny in a bubble. The final game of the is tournament is Aug 11. For some teams they won't have played a game for 4-5 weeks unless you're Dallas or Nashville who haven't played since march. You have to give some teams a chance to rest post tourny while you have to give others a chance to get their fitness up. So that's a min of ~8 weeks off again with no games for most teams.

The Canadian teams are not going to be allowed to play in their home stadiums this year so I don't see those players being cool with having to leave their families in Toronto for the remainder of the year while they play in Buffalo (Or whatever new home stadium would be picked). There's also no way I see the union agreeing to put players in danger as we watch MLB implode playing outside of a bubble (I give them two more weeks before they are forced to shut down with too many cases).

So where does the league go from here this year?
    The Athletic tweeted the other day about the Canadian teams playing each other 6 times each starting in late August while the American based teams play inter-conference matches. The feeling is that the travel issues would be solved in September and then the Canadian teams remaining 12 matches could resume against their respective conferences. Most teams out of the tournament have already resumed training but I assume we're doing at home isolation training for another 10 days or so. The date bandied about was an August 22 restart and the teams still in the tourney shouldn't need a lot of rest as the schedule isn't much different than standard MLS fixtures. As for Dallas & Nashville getting in shape. That's their problem. I advise them to avoid going away parties from here on out unless they want to forfeit the rest of the season.