Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe its just me, or maybe I haven't kept as up to date on what MLS plans are but from my bird's eye view it seems like MLS has focused all its attention on this tournament and not on a viable plan on resuming the season. In fact, I was shocked when I first read that they planned to carry on the season, I thought this tournament was going to replace any hopes of salvaging a season this year. Like, has anyone even considered our situation in Toronto for example - how the hell are TFC going to stage home matches at BMO if Toronto is a hub city for the NHL and its housed on the CNE grounds? How is NYFC going to have home matches if the Yankees are back at Yankee stadium? Where are the concrete plans MLS has to continue the season after this tournament - if it even is able to start and complete it? It all seems so strange to me to have all this focus on a tournament and say they want to continue a season but yet seemingly have 0 plans laid out to do so - again, unless I've missed the boat on how they intend to continue on after the covid cup.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARDTFC View Post
    Maybe its just me, or maybe I haven't kept as up to date on what MLS plans are but from my bird's eye view it seems like MLS has focused all its attention on this tournament and not on a viable plan on resuming the season. In fact, I was shocked when I first read that they planned to carry on the season, I thought this tournament was going to replace any hopes of salvaging a season this year. Like, has anyone even considered our situation in Toronto for example - how the hell are TFC going to stage home matches at BMO if Toronto is a hub city for the NHL and its housed on the CNE grounds? How is NYFC going to have home matches if the Yankees are back at Yankee stadium? Where are the concrete plans MLS has to continue the season after this tournament - if it even is able to start and complete it? It all seems so strange to me to have all this focus on a tournament and say they want to continue a season but yet seemingly have 0 plans laid out to do so - again, unless I've missed the boat on how they intend to continue on after the covid cup.
    When the MLS is Back tourney was announced, that is the first thing I thought of. If they can pull it off then whatever, it is a one time thing but then what? Nothing is under control anywhere especially in the US to continue the season in those cities. At least Canada has somewhat of a grip on it from a preventative measure but really that is still walking on eggshells and wave 2 can come back with all the businesses getting more open. I kind of wished they just scrapped the season for everyone's sake. These teams are coming in and out of the US regularly would be a risk and not like any of them will abide by any 14 day isolation period after travelling between countries because how could they....whole thing is screwed.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was doing the bracket challenge and my picks keep having to change as teams lose players. I had Vancouver as a wildcard but now that they are missing 5 players including Cavallini I had to revise that again. Bracket challenge is pretty much a crap shoot because external factors other than soccer skill and team preparedness will influence many outcomes.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So...Orlando & Miami tonight

In theory, actual soccer

All games on TSN, production by ESPN. ESPN has a sideline reporter & the commentator crews will be doing that from a studio.

No clue if Canadian teams will get TSN studio coverage (like we do for normal away games).

RPB Member
    Banners Team

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    So... will we name this competition "the Covid Cup?"

As much as I miss watching TFC, the risks seem insane compared to the benefits, given what is happening out there. Any player that doesn't want to participate should be allowed to bow out. I honestly think that it may be wise to cancel the whole thing.
    An apt - name - Nashville FC tested 5 positive yesterday. I honestly don't know how I feel about watching these matches...it will be a like watching something to akin dead man walking - all I'll be able to think about is how many of these guys are going to test positive next.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
    An apt - name - Nashville FC tested 5 positive yesterday. I honestly don't know how I feel about watching these matches...it will be a like watching something to akin dead man walking - all I'll be able to think about is how many of these guys are going to test positive next.
    If they get down to the complex Covid free then they're a hell of a lot safer in there than I am going to work everyday and I don't consider myself a dead man walking. I'm essential service healthcare too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    So...Orlando & Miami tonight

No clue if Canadian teams will get TSN studio coverage (like we do for normal away games).
    I'm guessing yes if the one hour preview show Monday and scheduled pre-game show for tonight is any clue.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ESPN's coverage is going to be MEGA sized for this.

Virtual stadium surrounding the field

20 cameras

NO CROWD NOISE

Drone cameras

This could either be revolutionary or WTF time for some of this stuff

https://www.latimes.com/sports/socce...ls-tv-coverage gives the details

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems Steve Goff is one of the journos inside the bubble (getting flack for his "I shoulda lied comment")

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
    Up to 9 now according to MLS is Back Insider twitter account.

If true, Nashville will be out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nashville will definitely be out. Guess they can pull one if the other group A teams and slide them in Dallas 's spot so it's all groups of 4 then.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5 confirmed and four awaiting the results after being re-tested after false positive on the first ones.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Orlando against Miami. Some of these camera angles got me dizzy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This high up camera angle has me feeling like my 2 year old messed with my FIFA settings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    5 confirmed and four awaiting the results after being re-tested after false positive on the first ones.
    Results confirmed positive for all 4. It’s a confirmed 9. A level mind would assume that they will be withdrawn tomorrow but MLS doesn’t want to tarnish opening night.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty powerful start tonight with the MLS is Black ceremony. Big props to JMo and the work he has done so far with the Black Players Coalition. 👏👏👏

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nani can still play, but damn if he doesn't look like he is 50 years old facially.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    This high up camera angle has me feeling like my 2 year old messed with my FIFA settings.
    White Hart Lane

The reaction by the ambulance workers to the Reyes injury was pathetic - the fact he's likely going to a Covid full hospital is scary as hell.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nani can still play, but damn if he doesn't look like he is 50 years old facially.
    So true.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

His pass on the goal was sublime. He's still got it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Instagram legend Jay Chapman on for Inter Miami.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nani with a winner for Orlando at the death. Not the prettiest game, but the effort level and intensity was better than I expected.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    the fact he's likely going to a Covid full hospital is scary as hell.
    Indeed. This must weigh on the minds of all the players. Imagine having to go to a Florida hospital right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AlanO View Post
    Indeed. This must weigh on the minds of all the players. Imagine having to go to a Florida hospital right now.
    I have to think that there is almost no way they take him to a hospital. It would be better to treat him in a 7/11 bathroom.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I thought that at least one person on here would comment on the mega advertising and big Adidas symbol on the middle of the field but I guess it didn't bother anyone but me? There is one thing with having it on the side which is not so bad but on the actual playing area of the field I hate. Typical American crap with that. Didn't see that on any of the German, Italian or English league games I have been watching recently. Nobody would dare. Nothing special about the broadcast other than being able to hear the foul language on the field. Soccer quality to kick off the tournament from the Florida teams was not great which was expected anyway. Really hoping TFC doesn't come out playing at this level.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Couldn't agree with you more Joe, First thing I noticed was that massive Adidas logo in the middle of the pitch, looks horrible. From watching there wasn't too much I noticed different than how normal games would have been televised. They said it would be groundbreaking with 20 cameras and 6 microphones yet besides hearing the players a bit more clear, the odd expletive, and using the drone shots every so often it didn't look very groundbreaking. One of the announcers even said just hearing the sound of players may get tiresome after 50 games but we will have to see lol.

Chapman made it out there and had a decent header chance that just went high.
    Also whoever said Nani looks like he is 50 is right haha but yeah he's still got it going on with that pass for the goal.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reyes did not spend the night in the hospital - checked out - now in isolation while tested (he should be in isolation for 5 days minimum but we'll see)

BTW, much of that game was confirmation that MLS refs let too much go & may have issues with this tournament's intensity.

And props to the Union players for their kits this morning

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    Well I thought that at least one person on here would comment on the mega advertising and big Adidas symbol on the middle of the field but I guess it didn't bother anyone but me? There is one thing with having it on the side which is not so bad but on the actual playing area of the field I hate. Typical American crap with that. Didn't see that on any of the German, Italian or English league games I have been watching recently. Nobody would dare. Nothing special about the broadcast other than being able to hear the foul language on the field. Soccer quality to kick off the tournament from the Florida teams was not great which was expected anyway. Really hoping TFC doesn't come out playing at this level.
    Agreed. Keep that trash off the field.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Powerful message the players sent WRT the BLM movement. Moved me for sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Only two games in, but I am enjoying this. It isn't perfect by any stretch, but I am now incredibly excited to watch TFC play Sunday morning.