Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Teams have also had an additional sleeve sponsor during this tournament (where the MLS logo would be). Not sure if we managed to get someone different for the 2nd one, it might just be BMO again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought I saw a Canadian Tire logo on the back of the shorts? Maybe I’m just imagining things.

Personally I wouldn’t be thrilled if all the junky sponsorships on the kits stayed but the real deal breaker for me is the Adidas logo at midfield and the obnoxious oversized signage in the background. That has to go. Not to sound dramatic but it completely kills the viewing experience.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I thought I saw a Canadian Tire logo on the back of the shorts? Maybe I’m just imagining things.

Personally I wouldn’t be thrilled if all the junky sponsorships on the kits stayed but the real deal breaker for me is the Adidas logo at midfield and the obnoxious oversized signage in the background. That has to go. Not to sound dramatic but it completely kills the viewing experience.
    You're not imagining. The Canadian Tire logo is on the back of the shorts along with GE on one sleeve with BMO on the other sleeve and the middle of the shirt. All that's left is to sell the advertising space below the number on the back of the jersey.

The Adidas logo is terrible and is there through a loophole. It's against the Laws of the Game to have any advertising on the field, but because it's not on the field and is superimposed for TV only it's technically okay. I'm hoping it's only for this season as a revenue-generator because of the pandemic, but can definitely see it staying beyond this year. I don't mind the stuff on the side, I knew they'd do something since there's no fans. Once it goes back to stadiums, it will be gone, but the centre-circle worries me .
    Last edited by rydermike; 07-21-2020 at 02:24 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    the real deal breaker for me is the Adidas logo at midfield and the obnoxious oversized signage in the background. That has to go. Not to sound dramatic but it completely kills the viewing experience.
    You see the NBA set up?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    You see the NBA set up?
    Does it make NASCAR look like CBC radio in comparison? 😂

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apparently Atlanta without Josef Martinez sucks. No points in 3 games, out of tournament. (they did have turnovers in personnel)
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Teams I'd consider really dangerous in Eastern Conference

-Columbus
    -Philly
    -New England
    -Orlando

I would not be thinking those teams as dangerous even last season
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Teams I'd consider really dangerous in Eastern Conference

-Columbus
    -Philly
    -New England
    -Orlando

I would not be thinking those teams as dangerous even last season
    This is honestly my favourite thing about the MLS - the fact that every team can become competitive. As much as Europe's talent level is well above MLS, you're rarely shocked by who the strong teams are there. Here, you never really know until the season plays out.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Atlanta never really figured out a long term plan beyond "buy big, sell bigger". Serious midfield issues and no real plan with the ball.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Montreal up 1-0 at the half, which would put them in the position to advance and for the Reds to win the group. Its been a pretty even game so far between DC and the impact.
    Last edited by Red CB Toronto; 07-21-2020 at 11:10 PM.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Atlanta rant —- Can’t say I feel bad for Atlanta and their “spoiled” fans, it’s easy to support winning - would love to see if they would have filled the Dome and had the same “awesome support” had they had a TFC like start to their franchise for the first 6-7 years (same goes for LAFC)....being awesome immediately helps bring in and keep fans, of course it’s exciting to be a part of the shiny new successful toy!! - just ask the 2015/2016 Jays versus the 2000-2014 Jays...once you get past the 2017 honeymoon year of selling Jays tickets based on 2016s success the Jays attendance basically cut in half in 3 years. If Atlanta sucked for 3 years straight (non-playoff), I highly doubt they’d be the talk of the town in terms of rabid fan support (numbers will be higher due to a larger stadium than most teams who play in buildings which only hold 25-35K — but they wouldn’t be the “model fan base” anymore that they make themselves out to be. They don’t have Martinez - we know what that’s like; yep, it’s hard to win without your DP forward - we’ve had that for most of 2018 and 2019, we didn’t have Altidore and most of our team was hurt throughout 2018 (and the Atlanta fanbase revelled in our crappy title defense - what joy to take their shield away in a game we had literally nothing to play for at BMO that October) ; there’s a reason we sucked after CCL; we were playing without our DP scorer (among many others) too....LAFC looked awesome without Vela so far; let’s see if they could play a whole season without him and look as good (it’s hard to replace 40% of your goals)...TFC is no different than most of these teams; take away their best player or two for an extended period, and the drop off is huge in most cases; it’s the nature of the league (in the “modern MLS” era) that most of the time your DPs need to play significant minutes in order to be a Championship team. Atlanta is finally seeing how the “other half lives” after being blessed with a contender from Day 1. Frankly that we got to a Final without Jozy really playing at all was a hell of an accomplishment and beating Atlanta in their stadium to get there without our DP was all the sweeter too - you think having a healthy Jozy in the Final for 90 minutes wouldn’t have made a difference? Let’s see Atlanta and LAFC pull that off without Vela and Martinez....
    Last edited by tfcfans; 07-21-2020 at 11:22 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On a more immediate note - finishing first may get us a gauntlet of Seattle and then LAFC/NYRB if the favorites win their third games in the next two days (Go Whitecaps/Timbers?!) — I like the Philly and Group D winner combo better....I guess we will see how it works out....

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Top of the group for the Reds, first place.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally I don't care about the Adidas logo in the centre circle. I don't even see it or notice it after a few minutes. If it helps with finances during a difficult time for a gate-driven league, even better. I actually find the extra electronic logos behind the endlines more annoying, because they're not done well technically. Otherwise I wouldn't notice those either.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And about Atlanta -- I wouldn't read too much into the results from the tournament. I seem to remember a previous time where Atlanta lost some personnel, people were convinced they would suck and their fairweather fans would disappear, but it didn't happen. We shall see. Perhaps having more fickle fans (and on the positive side, a huge stadium to sell when things are going well) will make Atlanta's ownership less clueless and more committed than MLSE was for the first many years of TFC.

But again, a 3-game tournament in the Covid swamps & blistering heat of Florida, after a long layoff, is a crapshoot. TFC's passing looked great compared to many of the teams, at least at the beginning of each game, and I think that TFC would sustain that if the season somehow continues. However TFC's finishing and defense is suspect, so even our results were a mix of skill and luck. And NE showed that if you press TFC, our passing doesn't look so great either. So I wouldn't read too much into the play of Atlanta and other teams.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m not reading too much into Atlanta’s results - but to say I feel bad for them in any way that they are struggling would be an understatement....let’s just say I’m happier to see Columbus go 3-0 and Atlanta 0-3 than the other way around.

On a side note if the four 4th place teams are groups B,C,D,F which is seeming more and more likely - how would it be determined who gets 3B and who gets 3F between C1 and D1? I’d love to play Houston or the Galaxy (likely 3F) and not Seattle (likely 3B), but I’d like to know how that gets decided if NYCFC doesn’t make it (Group A), and NYRB likely eliminate Cinci with any kind of win, in that group and Chicago beats Vanc in their group putting Seattle through as 3rd in group B - key is Houston v LA not having a close LA win or tie, and the Group D third place finisher.....go Whitecaps (although doubtful at a result there!)....

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Atlanta has serious issues with recruitment & balance but more importantly, a flawed philosophy

They were built to buy medium & sell high but failed that in 3 ways

a) they had one success - Almiron

b) they could easily have sold on Martinez but because they had no other attacking options, they instead built their team around him - mistake (which we learned in 2018 after we built around Seba)

c) their 2nd generation buy mediums have not panned out

My biggest issue with how this has happened is not Atlanta's insufferable born on 3rd base attitude, which is really just being born on their opponents 35 yard line in the first series of the first quarter of the first game of the season because teams are a LONG term project.

No my issue is how the league saw ATL's initial success and owners used it to change the DP rules so that teams like ours, who buy proven DP's can't continue. Cheapskate ownership in Minnesota, Vancouver & Dallas used Atlanta's success to argue there wasn't a need for 3 DPs.

For that, I don't blame Atlanta but I do blame the "there's a new kid in town" attitude of MLS punditry, media & fans.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Atlanta has serious issues with recruitment & balance but more importantly, a flawed philosophy

They were built to buy medium & sell high but failed that in 3 ways

a) they had one success - Almiron

b) they could easily have sold on Martinez but because they had no other attacking options, they instead built their team around him - mistake (which we learned in 2018 after we built around Seba)

c) their 2nd generation buy mediums have not panned out

My biggest issue with how this has happened is not Atlanta's insufferable born on 3rd base attitude, which is really just being born on their opponents 35 yard line in the first series of the first quarter of the first game of the season because teams are a LONG term project.

No my issue is how the league saw ATL's initial success and owners used it to change the DP rules so that teams like ours, who buy proven DP's can't continue. Cheapskate ownership in Minnesota, Vancouver & Dallas used Atlanta's success to argue there wasn't a need for 3 DPs.

For that, I don't blame Atlanta but I do blame the "there's a new kid in town" attitude of MLS punditry, media & fans.
    Agreed. All of the talk when TFC was on the CCL run was that MLS was making up ground with Liga MX and how TFC's starting XI would probably survive relegation in certain top flight leagues. The prevailing thought was that if MLS allowed a little more spending to let teams fill out the depth of the roster that the league was primed to take big steps forward on the world stage. And then they go and hamstring the teams from being competitive on the world market in favour of cheaper parity. Its too bad because the world is a big market and they would watch if the quality was there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Obviously many on here can’t remember the sad state of pro soccer in North America after the old NASL folded in 1984 and when MLS started in 1996. All these pro leagues that came between those years could not draw flies . Therefore , yes the MLS is not perfect by any stretch but it has proven that pro soccer can survive and draw decent crowds here in North America. Without the MLS we would still be watching pro soccer with a few soccer die hards at good old Centenial Stadium in Etobicoke!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So based on the rules.... top three are re-seeded outside playing their own conference for the teams playing third place.

Group A - Orlando 7
    Group B - San Jose 7
    Group C - TFC 5
    Group D - SKC or MFC

The tiebreakers for determining the three highest-ranked teams are: (1) points, (2) goal differential, (3) goals scored, (4) fewest disciplinary points.

Real Salt Lake 4* They are inas Wildcard (Could be 2nd if
    Colorado beats Minnesota by 2)

Montreal. 3 GD-1 (IN) Play Winner Group A

Chicago 3 (1 Game Left) (Could bump Seattle to 3rd with Win or Tie, Seattle 4pts, Chicago eliminated with Loss)

NYCFC 3 (0 Games ) (Chicago needs to lose by more than 1 and not be shut out (then it is fair play ??), Houston Tie or Lose)

Cinci won by 2, (NYRB GD -3) No Group E Wild Card unless Fire lose by 3 to VCR

Houston 1 (1 Game against LAG, Tie or Loss would eliminate Houston, LAG would need to win by at least 2 and Fire lose by 2 or Win by 3)

I think I have it... maybe not ...hahaha (Revised)

Last edited by Bushmancan; 07-22-2020 at 10:19 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anybody know what's up with Ashtone Morgan? He didn't make the 23 in any RSL game.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Anybody know what's up with Ashtone Morgan? He didn't make the 23 in any RSL game.
    He might be on loan with the Monarchs of the USL. He was playing there pre-pandemic but not positive if that was a conditioning stint or not.

EDIT: Roger that, he's out on loan per https://www.mlssoccer.com/rosters/2020/real-salt-lake . Similarly did not make the game day roster for the last Monarchs game. No bueno.
    Last edited by Smokecell; 07-22-2020 at 12:22 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Thanks. I was afraid he had covid.

We need to get him back here once his contract situation there is played out, which from the sounds of it might be pretty soon. He can muck around our system and/or coach academy kids.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.espn.com/soccer/major-le...ering-chipotle

So remember that food pic Omar Gonzalez posted? Apparently the food is good in the bubble

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Chicago pushes Seattle to third by beating an injured Whitecaps team tomorrow morning (which seems likely); what would have to happen for us not to play Seattle? NYCFC seems unlikely to make it at 3 points and behind (at that point if Chicago wins), Seattle, RSL, Mtl, with only one slot open they would have to finish ahead of Cinci/NYRB loser which seems likely if NYRB win, and need Houston to lose/tie or LAG not go crazy and win by a ton. How do we get Houston/LAG (3F) or NYCFC (3A) if they make it, and not Seattle as 3B. Is Chicago not winning really our only way to avoid Seattle in the next game?
    Last edited by tfcfans; 07-22-2020 at 04:33 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcfans View Post
    If Chicago pushes Seattle to third by beating an injured Whitecaps team tomorrow morning (which seems likely); what would have to happen for us not to play Seattle? NYCFC seems unlikely to make it at 3 points and behind (at that point if Chicago wins), Seattle, RSL, Mtl, with only one slot open they would have to finish ahead of Cinci/NYRB loser which seems likely if NYRB win, and need Houston to lose/tie or LAG not go crazy and win by a ton. How do we get Houston/LAG (3F) or NYCFC (3A) if they make it, and not Seattle as 3B. Is Chicago not winning really our only way to avoid Seattle in the next game?
    You can not play the third place team from your group if they make it. Believe the match ups are made that way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcfans View Post
    Here's a link to the current possible combinations: https://i.imgur.com/93WY0Pz.png

Chicago winning means Group B advances (4 points ahead of Montreal and NYC with 3 each). Only 1 scenario where that can happen with us avoiding Seattle - the top one.

Only remaining scenario requires Groups E and F to be eliminated. For that Group E and F 3rd would need to have no more than 3 points and GD of worse than -2 (or equal to -2 with 3 or more goals scored). I crunched the numbers and I think the only way for that to occur is if
    1) NYRB beats Cincinnati or Cincinnati wins by 2 goals (or by 1-0 maybe 2-1*) AND
    2) Houston and LAG tie or LAG wins by 1 or 2 goals only

I think that's right. I was crunching the numbers and my paper was really messy trying to figure it out. There's a chance I made a mistake somewhere

NYRB and Cincinatti play at 8pm. If they tie, Vancouver has to win for us to avoid Seattle

*2-1 would come down down to discipline points which involves cards received and fouls committed and I'm not going to investigate that lol
    Last edited by rydermike; 07-22-2020 at 07:30 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So basically, outside of Seattle NOT finishing in third in their group we are basically getting Seattle - go Whitecaps....might end up with TFC v Seattle and Cin v LAFC in the same quadrant (only one of the four will make the Semis)...yeesh...that’s why I thought finishing second may have been a lot better in the long run....a Philly then KC/Minn/LAG route to the Semis as opposed to a potential Seattle/LAFC route....

CIN winning opens up Vancouver having a chance to make it with any two goal victory - maybe they’ll feel inspired?
    Last edited by tfcfans; 07-22-2020 at 08:38 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just to clarify - we can only play a team from Groups A B or F

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well Cincinatti is surprisingly up 2-0 on NYRB. The NYCFC path avoiding Seattle is becoming a possibility