Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The logistics for such an undertaking are...difficult.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    The logistics for such an undertaking are...difficult.
    I have lots of doubts about that plan. Especially having a whole bunch of games (and training) in extremely hot weather.

However food wouldn't be my biggest concern. They may be getting lots of prepared individual meals. Think of the huge operations (for food production) that MLSE has set up at Scotiabank Arena and at BMO Field. There are lots of big hotels and restaurants in Orlando that won't be very busy, and that could help to prep the food. And it could be served outdoors to reduce the crowding and risk. (Although generally in June & July in Orlando, you would want to stay inside with a/c as much as possible.)
    Last edited by Auzzy; 05-13-2020 at 05:35 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    I have lots of doubts about that plan. Especially having a whole bunch of games (and training) in extremely hot weather.

However food wouldn't be my biggest concern. They may be getting lots of prepared individual meals. Think of the huge operations that MLSE has set up at Scotiabank Arena and at BMO Field. There are lots of big hotels and restaurants in Orlando that won't be very busy, and that could help to prep the food. And it could be served outdoors to reduce the crowding and risk. (Although generally in June & July in Orlando, you would want to stay inside with a/c as much as possible.)
    Playing and training every day in central Florida in June/July sounds like a recipe for disaster to me. That heat is gross, it will be draining. Hopefully they do five subs at least.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Playing and training every day in central Florida in June/July sounds like a recipe for disaster to me. That heat is gross, it will be draining. Hopefully they do five subs at least.
    FIFA have already approved the 5 subs plan. And the teams will just have to rotate who plays during the afternoon and who at night.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The logistics comment above is really about money. If the money is there, you can do the logistics. As I have said, I am sceptical that the money is there for MLS.

I believe Goff has good sources - this MLS proposal is being floated because the NBA plan is falling apart, and there is an “opportunity“ for MLS to “step in”to the Disney plan.

But is there, really?

The NBA is having multiple problems with this
    -Owners and players nowhere near agreeing amongst each other, let alone with each other. Owners agitated about competitive/fairness and related money issues. Should they just go straight to playoffs? What happens to bubble teams? The NBA players have big internal squabbles about whether/how to accept pay cuts, and the players union President called the proposed approach “incarceration”...
    - the NBA are worried about the PR hit they will take from doing repeat testing on 1000 people performing non essential services, when there still aren’t enough tests
    - the aforementioned problem with what to do if someone tests positive anyway

MLS doesn’t have the owners arguing about fairness that comes from changing the playoff system mid stream, sure. But would MLS do any better on the testing or pay issue, if this gets real?

I think none of these summer restarts are happening. The NFL will be up next: the PA is weak there and those owners won’t care about any of this and will plough forward.
    Last edited by ensco; 05-13-2020 at 06:20 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fauci is optimistic about fall NFL but its based on a lot of "we will get there" that the US hasn't shown a willingness to actually do.

The interview transcript is here https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ia-peter-king/

The actual interview is here http://art19.com/shows/peter-king-nb...f-db1aa73081de

(as usual during this health crisis, be careful of headlines from secondary sources - find the primary interview wherever possible)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The smart thing to do for all sports leagues is to cancel the season. Once a player gets it, which by the way will happen again, the team can't interact with anyone.

What if a play-off team has infected players?

This whole thing about playing in one location and thinking it's an effective barrier is plain stupid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For those on a payment plan I believe May is the last one for this season.

LAG suspending SSH payments

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's only May. When we won the MLS cup, the season ended in December. If you take out international breaks, the Canadian championship, etc, there's still a lot of time left to play some sort of season. Who knows what the situation will be in July.
    That said, I do not think any of us will be in BMO field until 2021. Surely can't social distance in that tunnel! How many of us were at risk opening day?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Boddington View Post
    For those on a payment plan I believe May is the last one for this season.
    That's correct. May 28 is the final payment.

Quote Originally Posted by glaze View Post
    That said, I do not think any of us will be in BMO field until 2021. Surely can't social distance in that tunnel! How many of us were at risk opening day?
    I'm slowly resigning myself to that as well. At least we managed to get one game in.

Those hard tickets I got for this season are going to make for a conversation piece in a few years.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glaze View Post
    It's only May. When we won the MLS cup, the season ended in December. If you take out international breaks, the Canadian championship, etc, there's still a lot of time left to play some sort of season. Who knows what the situation will be in July.
    That's a good point I hadn't thought about in a while. I do remember feeling a bit... odd that day. Glad I biked so I didn't have to go through the tunnel.

W/o fans, I think most modern industrialized nations could have at least part of the season. The problem is, we have no idea where many parts of the US are headed (and related to that, how much pressure will be on Canada to open the borders to chaos). That's why I have a hard time imaging what will happen in the summer, nevermind the fall.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lots of talk today about the Orlando thing. No agreement between unions & MLS. Players individually showing willingness but only if safe & done right.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lots of talk today about the Orlando thing. No agreement between unions & MLS. Players individually showing willingness but only if safe & done right.
    I guess one the big hurdle for the Canadian teams will be the border. Does not seem it will be open anytime soon for non-essential travel
    Last edited by Red CB Toronto; 05-14-2020 at 03:33 PM.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Same thing happening with the NBA. Lots of generic happy talk, players all say they want to play... but it feels to me like the clock is running out.

btw one issue that is emerging is fear of just how bad this is projected to get in Southern US. Silver is actually talking about playing these games here...
    https://www.si.com/nba/raptors/news/...ba-bubble-city

Any of these leagues need a plan, like, yesterday, for July 1...
    Last edited by ensco; 05-14-2020 at 03:36 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Same thing happening with the NBA. Lots of generic happy talk, players all say they want to play... but it feels to me like the clock is running out.

btw one issue that is emerging is fear of just how bad this is projected to get in Southern US. Silver is actually talking about playing these games here...
    https://www.si.com/nba/raptors/news/...ba-bubble-city

Any of these leagues need a plan, like, yesterday, for July 1...
    you could actually host a tournament at BMO. Hotel X is right there. A bit rough on the field but way better on the players than Florida in June. Half the east maybe?...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    you could actually host a tournament at BMO. Hotel X is right there. A bit rough on the field but way better on the players than Florida in June. Half the east maybe?...
    Pretty much what I was thinking. Why go to the US where things are more out of control when a possible host city is here with a better situation in terms of virus control.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Until there is enough tests here for everybody that needs to get one gets one, these leagues can pound sand.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

“If this plan sounds like a sclerotic facsimile to a legitimate baseball season, it is. If it sounds like a possible health catastrophe waiting to happen, it is...”

https://www.thenation.com/article/so...l-coronavirus/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Until there is enough tests here for everybody that needs to get one gets one, these leagues can pound sand.
    Thats about right.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I sort of get what the NBA is talking about, a short playoff sprint in Vegas, in a venue purpose built to mask (or even take advantage of ) the absence of fans. They are talking about building, in a Convention Center, a purpose built court with 100 built in cameras.

But the Bundesliga is making a mistake: playing the games in cavernous stadiums without fans, on an ongoing basis, is depressing. It tarnishes the brand, and people won’t watch that in anything like the numbers they think. My suspicion anyway.
    I posted this three weeks ago, and now that I have watched some of this, I am doubling down. This is depressing.

Any league other than the NBA that plays in front of empty stands is making a huge business mistake.

(The NBA has a novelty opportunity to capture player conversation, the squeak of the sneakers, etc. For a playoff sprint.)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Bundisliga thing actually worked - should mic the refs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes. It was funny watching Bundesliga today.
    Initially it felt very strange, but after a while I forgot there was no crowd.
    Alphonso on SN1 at 7pm tomorrow.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found it a little strange early on but over time go into it. I do worry though if a league like the MLS goes the training ground/small stadium route the broadcast could look amateur. I mean we here are used to the 1-2 camera pre-season/USL streams but for an overall general audience it make be off putting. Some of the angles the stadium field at Disney presents are not great.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you guys liked it, who am I to argue?

I felt like it was fake and weird. I only watched for 20 minutes. It just made me sad about the quarantine, so I didn’t stick with it, maybe it would have gotten better.

I will definitely check out Phonzie tonight, at least for a bit.

I guess the question will be answered by the ratings over a few weeks (no question they should be high out of the gate).
    Last edited by ensco; 05-17-2020 at 04:03 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I Watched some of today’s game, and decided I don’t like the game without the crowd.

Plus, if it succeeds, then the leagues will know they don’t need supporters and we will essentially become props on a set like on a TV show. It’s already getting that way - watch videos of old games pre video review and you will see the spontaneous joy or outrage or anger of the fans - fantastic, and now diminished. If we become props the next thing will be some pretext to stop the game and have ads.

The good thing is the games don’t look real and I doubt whether they will succeed from a broadcasting numbers perspective.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Every person said it would be better with fans.

I noted a comment that players found it more intense as they didn't feel the need to badger the ref and thus had less "off time" while guys complained about a call. Also, less hard tackles to prove a point to the fans & flair moves to get the crowd going (although that last goal by Dortmund was training ground flair).

I found the Mainz Gladbach game was a lot like watching TFC & Seattle - two teams who preferred to counter with decent enough defences that eventually gave up stuff.

Yes, it didn't work for everybody and I can see why neutrals would go "meh". Not sure I'd want to watch Nashville vs. San Jose. BUT...put TFC in that first game & I think the emotional investment supporters have with the team would take over.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Every person said it would be better with fans.

I noted a comment that players found it more intense as they didn't feel the need to badger the ref and thus had less "off time" while guys complained about a call. Also, less hard tackles to prove a point to the fans & flair moves to get the crowd going (although that last goal by Dortmund was training ground flair).

I found the Mainz Gladbach game was a lot like watching TFC & Seattle - two teams who preferred to counter with decent enough defences that eventually gave up stuff.

Yes, it didn't work for everybody and I can see why neutrals would go "meh". Not sure I'd want to watch Nashville vs. San Jose. BUT...put TFC in that first game & I think the emotional investment supporters have with the team would take over.
    Maybe! we will see. (edit: actually i guess we wont!!!)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, the Leagues Cup has been cancelled.

Was that in our season's seat package?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, the Leagues Cup has been cancelled.

Was that in our season's seat package?
    nope, just regular season and Canadian Championship
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting to see communication of Hibs (club in Scotland) to season seat holders:
    The decision to end this season, 2019-20, based on points per game has seen Hibernian finish the league in seventh position, dropping one place through the method chosen to reflect the sporting performance of each team over the 30 matches completed.
    At this time of coronavirus-driven crisis, it brings some certainty and clarity to an otherwise extraordinary situation.Since football was shut down by Government and our sport’s governing bodies in mid-March, Hibernian fans have been magnificent in the support they have shown. Our fans continue to amaze and humble us.The season ending prematurely means supporters have seen four home matches fewer than they should have. Some fans have generously indicated they would not be seeking a refund, recognising that financing refunds when your club has had no income for several months will compound the scale of the economic pressure we face.We want to be honest – if you are able to take this course then please do. We will make it up to you, and we are looking at creating unique experiences of real value to fans – such as invitations to attend a special series of open training sessions with Jack and the first team. For all who can and do take this course, our gratitude and sincere thanks are due yet again.However, we also know some people face real challenges. The club will deal fairly with all supporters. Those fans wishing to have the unused portion of their ticket refunded should email us at tickets@hibernianfc.co.uk with their season ticket client reference number(s) before 5pm on May 29.Supporters who email us by this deadline will be refunded for the four games lost against the value they paid for their season ticket. Supporters who purchased last year via credit or debit card, will be refunded directly on to their card. Those who purchased by other means, or if your card is no longer valid, will need to be refunded manually. We ask for your patience. Please make sure your contact information is fully up to date on your account.