Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yesterday at 3pm - got this

Earlier today, Major League Soccer announced plans to return to play next month and we couldn’t be more excited to get back on the pitch, representing Toronto. The past months have been difficult ones for our community, and we recognize that we have more challenges to face. It’s our hope as a club that TFC returning to the field is something that will bring some joy back to you, our most loyal fans.

Toronto FC and the rest of the league will return with the ‘MLS is Back Tournament’ to be held at the Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando with play beginning July 8th. The tournament, which will be played without fans in attendance, provides a safe way for soccer to return to play with an eye on resuming the 2020 regular season later this summer. With a spot in the Concacaf Champions League going to the winner of this tournament, the competition should provide for an exciting month of viewing for soccer fans.

We are grateful to MLS, soccer’s governing bodies and our government and public health officials for their leadership and hard work developing a plan that allows us to return to play while placing the highest priority on the health and safety of everyone.

Please look for a follow-up communication from TFC's ticketing department tomorrow with details relating to your membership as we continue to work through the impact on the 2020 MLS schedule.

Thank you for your patience and support and for everything you have done for each other and our community since we have been apart. We look forward to the day when we can return to BMO Field to play in front of you, but until then, this is a positive first step towards a return to our normal lives.

We will be playing to make you proud.

All For One!

Bill Manning
    President, Toronto FC
    Since then, nothing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Yesterday at 3pm - got this

Since then, nothing.
    Yup, same.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While I will always watch TFC if they play, I am not impressed.

I had missed the dynamic where this summer tournament's existence would be used as a device to delay providing refunds to SSHs.

MLS is grinding stakeholders left and right - first the players, now the fans.

I think the player's issue is far from over - the cost of "true" quarantine is massive, and I don't see these MLS owners, who are bleeding badly, as willing to go anywhere near the level of security etc that the NBA is considering.

MLS teams are way bigger, and there are more of them, and they don't have a billion dollars riding on this. There is a higher likelihood of positive Covid tests for MLS.

Not much of a long game.
    Last edited by ensco; 06-11-2020 at 04:52 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My issue is if they come back, with fans, BMO will spread people out, gotta assume many more weeks of weds and saturday. Well that's what i signed up for. Usually we play 2 Saturdays a month at home with occasional wednesdays that i sell below cost or give away, etc.
    I just don't think they will be providing the product I paid for. I have no issue letting them hold my coin til next year. I do have an issue if I'm paying for whatever this season becomes.
    And their dynamic pricing proves that they are well aware that weekday games don't hold the same value.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLSE sent this out at 6PM

Following yesterday’s highly anticipated announcement from Major League Soccer regarding a return to play, we hope you are as excited as we are for the ‘MLS is Back Tournament’ to begin on July 8th. In case you missed it, you can view the full announcement here.
    While the resumption of the season is welcome news for all of us, a return date for fans in attendance at BMO Field remains uncertain, and with that in mind we wanted to provide you with an update on your TFC Membership. Over the coming weeks, we will be providing you with a few options to manage the credit on your account for the payments you have made to date for the 2020 season.
    • You will have the choice to keep your money on account with MLSE and we will be providing you with a show of our appreciation for doing so (full details coming soon).
    • Alternatively, you will also have the option of requesting a refund of your account credit.
    Please note that at this time, no action is required – your account balance summary and further instructions will be emailed to you over the coming weeks and you will be able to make your selection at that time.
    During these extraordinary times we truly appreciate your continued support as a Toronto FC Member. As always, please don’t hesitate to contact us should you require further assistance or have any questions.

Sincerely,

Tom McDonald
    VP, Ticket Sales and Service
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's pretty much an admission there will be no attended games this season.

&

The right thing to do

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Agree. My ire is with MLS, not MLSE, who have done the right thing across the board. Be interesting to see how many teams don’t do this.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    While I will always watch TFC if they play, I am not impressed.

I had missed the dynamic where this summer tournament's existence would be used as a device to delay providing refunds to SSHs.

MLS is grinding stakeholders left and right - first the players, now the fans.

I think the player's issue is far from over - the cost of "true" quarantine is massive, and I don't see these MLS owners, who are bleeding badly, as willing to go anywhere near the level of security etc that the NBA is considering.

MLS teams are way bigger, and there are more of them, and they don't have a billion dollars riding on this. There is a higher likelihood of positive Covid tests for MLS.

Not much of a long game.
    Agree. The fact that they're playing all this in a state where their miserable excuse of leadership decided to reopen business when the virus was nowhere close to being controlled means that they're playing Russian Roulette with the players' health and well being. You can be sure there will be a whole lot of positive test results coming from the players. And God forbid if we see even one death from this. The fallout and bad press MLS would receive would be crippling to them.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Redcoe15 View Post
    Agree. The fact that they're playing all this in a state where their miserable excuse of leadership decided to reopen business when the virus was nowhere close to being controlled means that they're playing Russian Roulette with the players' health and well being. You can be sure there will be a whole lot of positive test results coming from the players. And God forbid if we see even one death from this. The fallout and bad press MLS would receive would be crippling to them.
    Don't worry, the players & staff (or their relatives afterwards) won't be contracting Covid-19 in Florida. Only "pneumonia."

Maybe I'm naive, but I'm not actually too concerned about the tournament. I think it will be a fairly controlled environment. I think that Disney might be able to pull this off. I have no idea, just guessing.

I was concerned about afterwards; that they would try to restart with fans at some point. The infection numbers in many US states are going haywire. From the latest TFC email, it sounds like that's not yet a likely option.

What will they do if they can't restart with fans in the late summer or fall? Play games in all the home stadiums, but w/o fans? (All those travel costs, for a league that gets lots of its income at the gate, hardly seems worth it.) Have another tournament? Call off the rest of the season?

I have to discuss with my seatmate, but I think I'll keep my money on the account for next season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder what their appreciation for not getting a refund is. Hopefully it's something decent or definitely want my refund.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leafsman View Post
    I wonder what their appreciation for not getting a refund is. Hopefully it's something decent or definitely want my refund.
    Rumors based on other MLSE properties is that you will be given an amount equivalent to 5% of your money being held by MLSE, as a Food or Merch credit for not taking the refund - nothing too earth-shattering -- ie. if they are holding $1000 of your money, you will get $50 worth of food vouchers or something like that. That's what I have heard from Leafs/Raptors STH.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got my email at around 6:00 yesterday too. Glad they're doing the right thing with refunds. In stark contrast to MLS which, as Ensco said, is clearly trying to use this tournament as a lead-in to some kind of resumption of the regular season. I think it's clear the regulatory environment in Ontario won't allow large scale events for the forseeable future which kind of makes the decision easier. The US by contrast is wild west.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone have any guesses as to what the "bonus" would be for maintaining the paid funds?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by samuraizero View Post
    Anyone have any guesses as to what the "bonus" would be for maintaining the paid funds?
    There's a guess two posts above your post.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 06-13-2020 at 09:51 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    There's a guess two posts above your post.

If that is the case, I almost want to take the money back on principal. Give the SSH something that they can't get anywhere else. It costs MLSE relatively nothing, other than logistics and creativity. Food and straight Merch credit is so bad. For the supporters, do a limited edition piece, not just something from the store.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    If that is the case, I almost want to take the money back on principal. Give the SSH something that they can't get anywhere else. It costs MLSE relatively nothing, other than logistics and creativity. Food and straight Merch credit is so bad. For the supporters, do a limited edition piece, not just something from the store.
    I agree. Would be nice. But if Raps and Leafs fans ain't getting something like that, no way in hell we are.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm trying to understand - are people wanting some kind of an award memorial for waiting through Covid-19 for soccer matches?

RPB Member
    Banners Team

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm trying to understand - are people wanting some kind of an award memorial for waiting through Covid-19 for soccer matches?
    Not a 'reward' but if the plan is they hold a substantial amount of funds for over a year until the next season kicks off - there should be some recognition. Granted interest rates are next to nothing but it is money that could be sitting in my account as opposed to theirs.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
    Not a 'reward' but if the plan is they hold a substantial amount of funds for over a year until the next season kicks off - there should be some recognition. Granted interest rates are next to nothing but it is money that could be sitting in my account as opposed to theirs.
    Yup this is it. We are doing them a favour letting them hold our money so would be nice to for some recognition of some kind other than a free pizza slice at BMO. Interest rates for us are not that high for our individual little lump sums but for MLSE, holding onto all of our money must get them some nice interest. I will also take year 1 pricing again as my "reward" if they wish.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

MLSE put it out there that there would a "show of appreciation" for leaving the cash with them as oppose to getting a refund.
    I'm assuming MLSE are trying to manage the logistics of this and maybe the bank fees? As well as the interest they get from holding cash?

So now the questions is - what will it take for someone to leave their cash with MLSE as oppose to taking it back and holding on to it themselves.

I would personally like a jersey - but that's me

I feel like regardless if you take your cash back or not, a freeze on ticket prices should be an automatic thing they do. I don't see this as a show of appreciation. I see this as a must do in order to keep fans content. Everyone is on hard times right now. A corporation the size of MLSE can take a hit for the individual fans.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    MLSE put it out there that there would a "show of appreciation" for leaving the cash with them as oppose to getting a refund.
    I'm assuming MLSE are trying to manage the logistics of this and maybe the bank fees? As well as the interest they get from holding cash?

So now the questions is - what will it take for someone to leave their cash with MLSE as oppose to taking it back and holding on to it themselves.

I would personally like a jersey - but that's me

I feel like regardless if you take your cash back or not, a freeze on ticket prices should be an automatic thing they do. I don't see this as a show of appreciation. I see this as a must do in order to keep fans content. Everyone is on hard times right now. A corporation the size of MLSE can take a hit for the individual fans.
    It will still be a tough decision for me, eve if they offer something quality like a jersey - nobody can predict what attendance is going to be allowed next year, so there's still risk leaving my money with them.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even if they can play at home next season, I can't imagine they'll be allowed to sell out the stadium. How do you think they'll handle that? (Just so I can say I said it later - watch them create two half-season packages that we get to 'choose' from while holding on to rest of our money.)
    Toronto 'til I die - but I think they're trying to kill me.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eustacchio View Post
    Even if they can play at home next season, I can't imagine they'll be allowed to sell out the stadium. How do you think they'll handle that? (Just so I can say I said it later - watch them create two half-season packages that we get to 'choose' from while holding on to rest of our money.)
    It all depends on if an effective vaccine is rolled out early next year. With a vaccine, all restrictions will vanish.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It all depends on if an effective vaccine is rolled out early next year. With a vaccine, all restrictions will vanish.
    I don't see that happening by the time they have to start planning the season - I would love to be wrong. That's also assuming they've been able to produce enough doses and actually administer them. Don't forget about the anit-vaxxers, too.

I would love to be wrong.

There's an article in The Washington Post right now about Trump trying to speed up the already ambitious timeline and how scientists are worried regulators will be pushed to approve things too soon.
    Toronto 'til I die - but I think they're trying to kill me.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
    Ok, now I get it.

Thanks

On another note, has anybody heard if you opt out of this year payments, whether they guarantee your seats for the future? The email didn't say that specifically.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't see all restrictions vanishing that fast once a vaccine is discovered. The problem is they have to come up with the right vaccine (strains of the virus mutate making vaccines possibly ineffective) that works and is safe. Once they have the vaccine they need to manufacture and distribute it which supposedly can take 6-12 months from what I recall them saying in the media. Once distributed you need to be able to administer to millions of people and I can't imagine how complicated and messed up that process will be for the general public and how long that will take. Discovering the vaccine is definitely only the first step but it is a long road still after that. I still think even with a vaccine next season is affected. Just my opinion based on all the info out there. I would like to be wrong and be at all the games next season though.
    Last edited by Joe Kool; 06-17-2020 at 01:54 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    I don't see all restrictions vanishing that fast once a vaccine is discovered. The problem is they have to come up with the right vaccine (strains of the virus mutate making vaccines possibly) that works and is safe. Once they have the vaccine they need to manufacture and distribute it which supposedly can take 6-12 months from what I recall them saying in the media. Once distributed you need to be able to administer to millions of people and I can't imagine how complicated and messed up that process will be for the general public and how long that will take. Discovering the vaccine is definitely only the first step but it is a long road still after that. I still think even with a vaccine next season is affected. Just my opinion based on all the info out there. I would like to be wrong and be at all the games next season though.
    i would lean more so to the idea that if a vaccine is present there may still be restrictions (like masks at the very least being required) to be anywhere near to where we were at the home opener this year.
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    I don't see all restrictions vanishing that fast once a vaccine is discovered. The problem is they have to come up with the right vaccine (strains of the virus mutate making vaccines possibly ineffective) that works and is safe. Once they have the vaccine they need to manufacture and distribute it which supposedly can take 6-12 months from what I recall them saying in the media. Once distributed you need to be able to administer to millions of people and I can't imagine how complicated and messed up that process will be for the general public and how long that will take. Discovering the vaccine is definitely only the first step but it is a long road still after that. I still think even with a vaccine next season is affected. Just my opinion based on all the info out there. I would like to be wrong and be at all the games next season though.
    Yes it's really hard to predict how things will go. However one bit of good news: they will start producing millions of doses of multiple vaccines while those vaccines are still being tested. Massive amounts of vaccines will probably be discarded if they don't work so well in the large-scale tests. However for any vaccines that do prove to work, they will be available much quicker than has ever been the case before.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We paid money, there have been no games and now the club is asking to hold our money ... that is the issue in its rawest form.

So I am looking more than a corporate shilling, please take this in the spirit it is intended... you are important to RPB. At its core this situation is no different than ticketmaster trying to hold money for concerts and being called out on it. TFC needs to be different because it can be. And I believe they will be different, as a supporter I expect more, we travel with the team, we are there through thick and thin. Seattle even with the loss was brilliant seeing the section(s) of Red and white.

We know that it is the supporters groups and ssh holders who have invested in the team since the beginning. Along with good football, we worked to create the atmosphere, (oh wait we were there even before there was good and getting better football and then winning football.)

We should expect the organization to invest in us as well. And it costs hard dollars for most to purchase their tickets. Remember, it was predicted that TFC could be the first and most successful MLSE franchise for championships...time for them to step up.

Just my opinion but I read your comment above and to me it appeared flippant (forgive me if I am wrong)... it isn't for the wait through Covid, but to be clear some people do need it, they have been viciously hurt by it (whether health or jobs or something else) and to trivialize it is wrong for those that have in any way.

My issue was about money and loyalty.

We would wait through most things for this team, I believe it is incumbent on a multi-billion dollar organization to invest in its fans and more than a credit for an overpriced beer and food. Let's look at the economics. If they gave supporters limited edition special offers for an Oso, Jozy, Michael or Poz gear free or even at cost. They take a minimal margin hit at most. Perhaps there is a draw for 10 signed ones. Maybe it isn't a jersey but it is something like a seat cushion (Only kidding) to say thank you for sticking together through all of this. "ALL FOR ONE". The club drives this in their marketing.

This is actually an opportunity to drive a special bond with the supporters.

What does it cost them? A couple of hours of our players time and some thoughtfulness. The value to the supporters is incredibly high and let's not forget they keep our money until the appropriate time to watch football in toronto again.

Let's be clear, I am interested in seeing the club rise above but more importantly I want to keep the momentum with this team.... and above all a strong supporters base will be critical to make this happen.

It will be one of the smartest long term investments they can make.
    Last edited by Bushmancan; 06-18-2020 at 04:30 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)