Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ontario has formed a pair of advisory panels aimed to study the return of professional and youth sports in the months aheadFormer Sens president Cyril Leeder will be leading those panels. They will put a report together in the next 4-6 weeks. 6 weeks take us to the beginning of June. It this means no professional or amateur sports will be authorized until then, Ontarians can forget about the return of the NHL and NBA to finish their seasons. The Blue Jays won't start theirs anytime soon and all the youth Summer sports (baseball, soccer, etc.) might well be canceled. It will be interesting to see if schools and universities return in the September, will they have the regular fall season of sports?

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unless there is a test as easy and simple to administer as taking your temperature, and that is as accurate as a thermometer, no mass gatherings can happen until there is a vaccine. It seems to be accepted that a vaccine will take 12 - 18 months. So no fans for almost certain until 2021. Thats a given. And what do you do about the players? Football, basketball and hockey are full contact sports. Do you keep using limited testing capacity to test the players? can you really keep them totally isolated from the world? It all strains credibiity.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In this case, the NFL did the right thing. I agree - usually it doesn't. But the agreement with their union is no practices until all can. These are teams that normally have practices in the spring. NOW - lets see what happens in mid July.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even if the ratings will be low, even if they'd be operating at a loss, MLS is going to have to play some games in empty stadiums before next year, or they risk being away for too long and falling into irrelevancy.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Even if the ratings will be low, even if they'd be operating at a loss, MLS is going to have to play some games in empty stadiums before next year, or they risk being away for too long and falling into irrelevancy.
    This is a tough one. You are “right”, but it may not matter. I suspect this cannot happen financially without players taking a 75% pay cut or similar, and that could be impossible to achieve. Everyone is too afraid right now to make these kinds of concessions because they fear they are making decisions with long term implications right now. SoI don't seee those games happening until next year, when a new reality is more “baked in”
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    In this case, the NFL did the right thing. I agree - usually it doesn't. But the agreement with their union is no practices until all can. These are teams that normally have practices in the spring. NOW - lets see what happens in mid July.
    Spring practice is apples to everyone else's oranges. The NFL alone haven’t had to take decisions affecting revenues. I guffaw at the idea that they will “do the right thing” when revenues are involved.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ontario announces its re-opening strategy and specifically indicates that "large public events" including sporting matches & concerts will stay restricted "for the foreseeable future"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Details: “The government will reopen Ontario businesses and public spaces gradually. This will be based on the advice of the chief medical officer of health,” said the framework, which was developed by cabinet committee led by Finance Minister Rod Phillips.

“Each stage will last approximately two-to-four week periods to allow for close monitoring of any impacts or potential resurgences of cases,” the report said, noting health officials will oversee the benchmarks for each stage. Physical distancing and hand washing are among the “significant mitigation plans to limit health risks” that will continue.

When the economy is finally restarted, select workplaces, such as shops that can provide curbside pick-up, and parks will open and small gatherings would be permitted. This would enable small funerals to be held. Hospitals will then begin to offer some non-urgent and scheduled surgeries and other health-care services shut down amid fears they would be overwhelmed by COVID-19 cases.

A fortnight to a month later, more workplaces should open, as will outdoor spaces, and larger gatherings would be allowed.

Another two to four weeks after that, all remaining workplaces will open and restrictions public gatherings will be relaxed.

The benchmarks call for weeks of “consistent” decreases in new daily cases, a shrinking rate of untraced cases – which is still at 35 per cent – and a decrease in new cases at hospitals.

https://www.thestar.com/politics/pro...on-monday.html

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ford asked during the presser specifically about sporting events said

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ford asked during the presser specifically about sporting events said

That's fine, that's reasonable. I don't think anyone expects to be going to stadiums until next year.

But I'm sure they can find some solution involving empty stadiums.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I need football.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In bad times - wars, disasters, attacks, downturns - we could always look to sports as a way of taking our minds off our worries. And now, we don't even have that!
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is hard to even see when they would be able to play games behind closed doors. Take for example the dumpster fire that is our neighbours to the south. With them rushing to re-open things prematurely I am certain they will see a massive spike in cases and in fatalities as well. I appreciate and applaud the way Premier Ford is handling this pandemic and am thankful that he is taking the cautious route and putting peoples health first before the almighty dollar. I expect that we should be hearing some type of communication for the FO soon as to where we go from here so to speak. I imagine that they will do something similar to what LAFC is doing and roll over this years payment to next year. I do hope they give SSH the option to get a refund and then re-up for next season as I am sure that money is tight for some (as was mentioned earlier in this post). I, thankfully, managed to keep working through this as my company is part of the supply chain but I can only imagine the stress and difficulties that some must be going through right now.

The other concern becomes what will happen in the fall? Will this rear it's ugly head again then or perhaps next February? The world will not get back to any sense of normal until a vaccine is developed and that is still in the distant future. It is not unreasonable that we will not be stepping back inside BMO until summer 2021 at the earliest

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

France seems to agree

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    This is a tough one. You are “right”, but it may not matter. I suspect this cannot happen financially without players taking a 75% pay cut or similar, and that could be impossible to achieve. Everyone is too afraid right now to make these kinds of concessions because they fear they are making decisions with long term implications right now. SoI don't seee those games happening until next year, when a new reality is more “baked in”
    Yes. You are right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blindside16 View Post
    It is hard to even see when they would be able to play games behind closed doors. Take for example the dumpster fire that is our neighbours to the south. With them rushing to re-open things prematurely I am certain they will see a massive spike in cases and in fatalities as well. I appreciate and applaud the way Premier Ford is handling this pandemic and am thankful that he is taking the cautious route and putting peoples health first before the almighty dollar. I expect that we should be hearing some type of communication for the FO soon as to where we go from here so to speak. I imagine that they will do something similar to what LAFC is doing and roll over this years payment to next year. I do hope they give SSH the option to get a refund and then re-up for next season as I am sure that money is tight for some (as was mentioned earlier in this post). I, thankfully, managed to keep working through this as my company is part of the supply chain but I can only imagine the stress and difficulties that some must be going through right now.

The other concern becomes what will happen in the fall? Will this rear it's ugly head again then or perhaps next February? The world will not get back to any sense of normal until a vaccine is developed and that is still in the distant future. It is not unreasonable that we will not be stepping back inside BMO until summer 2021 at the earliest
    I agree with you. Repeating what I said earlier in this thread:

Unless there is a test as easy and simple to administer as taking your temperature, and that is as accurate as a thermometer, no mass gatherings can happen until there is a vaccine. It seems to be accepted that a vaccine will take 12 - 18 months. So no fans for almost certain until 2021. Thats a given. And what do you do about the players? Football, basketball and hockey are full contact sports. Do you keep using limited testing capacity to test the players? can you really keep them totally isolated from the world? It all strains credibiity.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^The US won't wait for a vaccine, testing, any of it.... so this could likely be "over" earlier.

The actual scenario that is unfolding, that nobody will admit to but that the US (or much of the US) appears to be pursuing, is: "Take the punch"

Pretend to fight it, but really just let 'er rip and "accept" (ie ignore) the death rate, and get to herd immunity as fast as possible.

That may well get this "over" faster. At an unspeakable cost.

If the US does it, then we are doing it.

Depressing to say it out loud, but it is today the likeliest outcome. We would probably get sports this fall (we can't actually have this interfere with NFL games). Yay.
    Last edited by ensco; 04-28-2020 at 01:01 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^It depresses me to disagree with this..... but there is of course the actual scenario that is unfolding, that nobody will admit to but that the US (or much of the US) appears to be pursuing.

"Take the punch" (ie don't even pretend to fight it, just let 'er rip and accept the death rate, and get to herd immunity as fast as possible), could get this "over" faster.

At an unspeakable cost.

Depressing to say it out loud, but it is very likely the course we are on.
    That is the course Quebec is on. Likely the USA but not Britain or so far Ontario. But you have a point. Look what is happening in Alberta with workers (mostly immigrant) being unwilling victims of that experiment in the meat plants and you might be seeing the future. But there will be a public outcry of cases start reserving. Even in ‘merrica. And anyone rational isn’t going to go to live sporting events or other large gatherings; they might be able to force people to go to work (Republicans are proposing this) and risk severe illness and death but they cannot force masses of people to go to mass gatherings and risk illness and death. And most wont. At least around here.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The end of May is going to look very different than we think so now - this is all spitballing.

I help manage a firm in an essential industry and am charged with gathering and sifting through Covid19 info. I see what you are saying ensco but I just don't see that happening here. Trend wise, we have been charting our own course in this country and province.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 04-28-2020 at 02:05 PM. Reason: EDIT out some harsher stuff.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The end of May is going to look very different than we think so now - this is all spitballing.

I help manage a firm in an essential industry and am charged with gathering and sifting through Covid19 info. I see what you are saying ensco but I just don't see that happening here. Trend wise, we have been charting our own course in this country and province.
    Yes, to be fair, I am fairly convinced the US is going to "take the punch" but I am not very sure what that means, or means for us in Toronto. That part was pure spitballing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let’s hope not.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Let’s hope not.
    It wouldn't happen because we want to or choose to ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is another major aspect that will play a part in everything and that is the athletes perspective. The owners maybe wanting to resume a business as usual approach but if they athletes themselves say no, then it becomes a mute point. It seems that all is not fine and dandy with the athletes wanting to rush back. NHL players are wary about coming back I a read something earlier today that states that NBA players are wary as well

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl-players-begin...tart-1.1470792

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is another major aspect that will play a part in everything and that is the athletes perspective. The owners maybe wanting to resume a business as usual approach but if they athletes themselves say no, then it becomes a mute point. It seems that all is not fine and dandy with the athletes wanting to rush back. NHL players are wary about coming back I a read something earlier today that states that NBA players are wary as well

'very good point.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

comes to mind

Quebec unions are starting to get angry at being this sacrifice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some movement in Europe:
    Austria re-starting May 16.
    Switzerland re-starting June 8.
    Germany?
    However:
    1) These countries way further down the curve than us. Very few new cases in Austria and Switzerland.
    2) No fans. Even in Switzerland no fans until 'summer 2021' according to the Zurich newspaper...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fifa's medical chief weighs in with his opinion or re-satrting: https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/...ds-no-21941111

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In case people were seeing it - this is a baby step

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In case people were seeing it - this is a baby step

As in the case with the NBA we do not know if all teams can even do this based on current province and state restrictions. The NBA has backed off opening their facilities. The NFL can said no teams can use their facilities until every team can.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Regarding Bundesliga: 3 people at FC Köln tested positive. They weren't exhibiting any symptoms, and are now in a 14-day quarantine. Apparently it was two players and a team physiotherapist. Two problems: first of all, if this happens after their season restarts, even just a few players missing can seriously affect the competitiveness of a team. Bigger problem: according to German rules, normally everyone who had contact with those three, should also go into quarantine, but that isn't happening here. And yes many others are pissed about that.