Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a note on the flying thing

All MLS teams flew in on a charter - same with the Dallas & Nashville players that were able to leave.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    You fly in, play the game, fly out. All teams would be tested before the travel and anyone could only board with that negative test. I am sure The Canadian Government along with President Trump in partnership with Garber and company can work something out. Indy 11 had over 4,000 fans at their game last week, people were socially distanced, spread around the stadium. Thing people have to remember is Canadian can fly to the US right now, with no issue. Already looking at some Jays games in September, Yankees are talking about limited fans. Governor Cuomo will be taking no chances, he is as in line with Canadian values as they come when it comes to the pandemic.

Things will all change though if something goes sideways with the NHL hubs. I do wonder how quickly the feds will pull the plug if players start making their way to King St. West and pics of them partying it up on patios start surfacing.
    The fact that there were 4000 fans at a game in a state that has a rising rate of daily infections currently at or around 800 per day is probably not going to be seen as a selling feature to the Federal Government. In fact its the entire reason for the No answer. The US hasn't done any of the work required to "open" and has been acting in contradiction to all reasonable advice from science. They are willing to just hope things work out but that is no reason at all for us to follow. I want my kids in school. I'd like for as many people in Ontario as possible to get back to work. Now is not the time to start getting careless just as we start to get on top of this pandemic. We have countless examples in the world to serve as our model.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The other thing that I will say about the MLB case is this: their organization was particularly horrendous at setting up the base set of occupational safety procedures that may have provided the federal government with the proof they needed to allow them to flow in and out of the country. Many teams were unable to procure PPE. Many teams had gaps in their testing which was supposed to be regimented and timely. If you're testing every 48 hours and it takes you 5 or 6 days to get results back then the entire sharade os worthless. MLB half assed their effort and now they are seeing the rotten fruit of their labour. Not saying MLS is in the same boat. The tournament is at least showing that they have been fairly competant in their testing etc. Maybe the gov't will see things differently in their case.. but I suspect not.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Just a note on the flying thing

All MLS teams flew in on a charter - same with the Dallas & Nashville players that were able to leave.
    Yes but that was one flight in per team, and one flight back at the end of the tournament. Chartering every team back and forth for every away game for the rest of the season, would get pricey.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PaceyWinger View Post
    The other thing that I will say about the MLB case is this: their organization was particularly horrendous at setting up the base set of occupational safety procedures that may have provided the federal government with the proof they needed to allow them to flow in and out of the country. Many teams were unable to procure PPE. Many teams had gaps in their testing which was supposed to be regimented and timely. If you're testing every 48 hours and it takes you 5 or 6 days to get results back then the entire sharade os worthless. MLB half assed their effort and now they are seeing the rotten fruit of their labour. Not saying MLS is in the same boat. The tournament is at least showing that they have been fairly competant in their testing etc. Maybe the gov't will see things differently in their case.. but I suspect not.
    Unbelievable that Ford & Co, who are supposed to be primarily responsible for public health in Ontario, were OK to let this go through with MLB.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Unbelievable that Ford & Co, who are supposed to be primarily responsible for public health in Ontario, were OK to let this go through with MLB.
    They are politicians...IMO this was an inevitability so I fully anticipate that this was a case of trying not to be the bad guy/party pooper.

Hindsight is 20/20 but I can’t help but wonder how knowledge of this would have affected the formation of this tournament months ago. Would it have helped to scrap a knockout in favour of squeezing in as many regular season games as possible? Does that even matter if the whole season could not be played in the bubble? Interesting times ahead for the salvation of the 2020 season.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PaceyWinger View Post
    There are suggestions a good chunk of the Jays organization was not happy with the attempt to play in Toronto, seeing the getting across the border & the quarantines as not worth it for the pictures of playing "at home". But then the Jays players don't look at Toronto as a home during the season as much as a 7 month cottage situation.

TFC staff, players and families' commitment to this city is way more strong, partly because the players are here for 10 months a year and partly through design - MLSE sells the city to players and it works.

Any quarantine situation for TFC is way more difficult to deal with then the Jays.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the decision not to allow baseball is probably the correct one, but it is a cheap symbolic one only.

There are hundreds of thousands of people crossing the Canada-US border every week. There is no stopping Covid from coming back into Canada from the US without a helluva lot more pain than we are currently willing to take. It's coming, with or without sports.

I actually have no idea what the benefit side is (TV production jobs in Canada, cost of having less ads because of viewership decline because they are playing in Buffalo etc) but it may be better than the lame reasons many thousands a week are using to cross.
    Last edited by ensco; 07-19-2020 at 07:53 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not TFC/MLS related but the Wolfpack have withdrawn from the 2020 season. They were planning to play all their games in the UK but have pulled the plug citing financial challenges related to COVID.

https://www.tsn.ca/toronto-wolfpack-...ason-1.1497496

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by benito View Post
    Not TFC/MLS related but the Wolfpack have withdrawn from the 2020 season. They were planning to play all their games in the UK but have pulled the plug citing financial challenges related to COVID.

https://www.tsn.ca/toronto-wolfpack-...ason-1.1497496
    Yeah, I'm not surprised the Wolfpack did that. They have a tough financial situation in the league. They're not allowed any of the TV deal money from the league, have to pay flights and accommodations for all the other teams to Canada, have to pay rent for using UK fields during the early season during regular years. This year while no travel costs, would have to pay rental fees for fields, plus accommodations for their own players, plus no revenue from home games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    Yeah, I'm not surprised the Wolfpack did that. They have a tough financial situation in the league. They're not allowed any of the TV deal money from the league, have to pay flights and accommodations for all the other teams to Canada, have to pay rent for using UK fields during the early season during regular years. This year while no travel costs, would have to pay rental fees for fields, plus accommodations for their own players, plus no revenue from home games.
    Why do they have such a shitty financial deal?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Why do they have such a shitty financial deal?
    The Rugby League owners at the Super League level in the UK are greedy & selfish & very short sighted. They saw the potential to cut out a team & get a fraction of one share on the TV deal and went for it. The sport in the UK has a HUGE self confidence complex.

Its a league crying out for single entity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From the club:

OPTION 1 – KEEP YOUR MONEY ON ACCOUNT AND RECEIVE A 10% CREDIT
    By keeping your current money on account with MLSE, as a show of MLSE’s appreciation, you will be provided with a Food & Beverage and Special Merchandise Credit equal to 10% of the cost of your Membership package. Full details on how to utilize your 10% credit will be provided at a later date. To take advantage of this option, NO ACTION IS REQUIRED.
    Your 10% credit amount will be: $102.00
    OPTION 2 – REQUEST A REFUND
    If you would rather have the remaining money you have on account with MLSE refunded, contact your Membership Representative or call 416.360.GOAL (4625) by Wednesday, July 29th at 5PM. Please note that if we do not hear from you by this date, any money currently on your account will automatically be applied towards your Membership for the 2021 Season.
    Please note that credit card refunds will take up to 30 days to be processed.
    TFC management changes: "like adding a new fish to your aquarium of failure." - Shakes

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We better be allowed to spend the credit on beer!
    10 percent is I guess the best we were getting. But ridiculous it took them this long to decide on this plan.
    They really should have just said price freeze, credit, and no additional charges next season. I have a feeling they'll still hit us up for the next home opener.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glaze View Post
    We better be allowed to spend the credit on beer!
    10 percent is I guess the best we were getting. But ridiculous it took them this long to decide on this plan.
    They really should have just said price freeze, credit, and no additional charges next season. I have a feeling they'll still hit us up for the next home opener.
    It says in the email 2021 cost will be same as 2020

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

copy / paste

Price Freeze! Your Membership cost for the 2021 Season will be frozen, matching what you would have paid for the current 2020 Season.

Full details regarding your Membership Renewal for the 2021 Season will be communicated to you at a later date.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ben - D.O.W. View Post
    From the club:

OPTION 1 – KEEP YOUR MONEY ON ACCOUNT AND RECEIVE A 10% CREDIT
    By keeping your current money on account with MLSE, as a show of MLSE’s appreciation, you will be provided with a Food & Beverage and Special Merchandise Credit equal to 10% of the cost of your Membership package. Full details on how to utilize your 10% credit will be provided at a later date. To take advantage of this option, NO ACTION IS REQUIRED.
    Your 10% credit amount will be: $102.00
    OPTION 2 – REQUEST A REFUND
    If you would rather have the remaining money you have on account with MLSE refunded, contact your Membership Representative or call 416.360.GOAL (4625) by Wednesday, July 29th at 5PM. Please note that if we do not hear from you by this date, any money currently on your account will automatically be applied towards your Membership for the 2021 Season.
    Please note that credit card refunds will take up to 30 days to be processed.

So like, 3 hot dogs worth

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I called now for a refund, I figured $140 food credit wasn't good enough.

They said refund doesn't affect anything - we can still renew our tickets again for 2021
    She said when they know if 2021 season is good to go they will send an invoice for it in Sept or Oct.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is reasonable

And as close to an admission as they can make that we are not getting to games this season. I'm wondering if the Jays situation finally pushed them to do this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll take the 10% as wont be able to get that return anywhere else

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I took my $76 credit and will move on, figured renewals will be sooner than later and since there is no doubt I will be getting my tickets in 2021 I just left it.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    This is reasonable

And as close to an admission as they can make that we are not getting to games this season. I'm wondering if the Jays situation finally pushed them to do this.
    My cousin made a payment on 2020-21 Raptor tickets back in June, kind of surprised MLSE did not delay those with all the uncertainty.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leafsman View Post
    I'll take the 10% as wont be able to get that return anywhere else
    Yeah but you have to buy their shit at crazy margins so you’re not really getting a 10% return. But if you’re going to buy that shit anyway, might as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It will be interesting to see what league does following this tournament. If they choose to continue the season you will most likely have 3 teams that will be without a home stadium to play in (TFC, Montreal, Vancouver). There is no way BMO will be available after the Blue Jays decision as well as the NHL being able to use BMO during their playoffs. So the only option for TFC is that when the tournament is done, you are asking you players to say goodbye to their families in late August and they will not be able to see them again until November / December when the season fully wraps up? Not to mention how can you take standings seriously when a team has to play their home games in a neutral venue. They should just call time on the season and start again next year

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    My cousin made a payment on 2020-21 Raptor tickets back in June, kind of surprised MLSE did not delay those with all the uncertainty.
    Outdoor games - management had hope.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can we cancel a couple of our season seats, and still retain the credit?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC1986 View Post
    The credit is 10% for the amount you keep on your account into the next season so if you have 4 seats and cancel 2 of them and get refunds for the 2 seats you will probably get 10% credit for the amount of money left in the account which is to cover the seats you are keeping. At least that is the way I understand it but of course best thing to do is get the details straight from your account rep for your particular scenario.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blindside16 View Post
    It will be interesting to see what league does following this tournament. If they choose to continue the season you will most likely have 3 teams that will be without a home stadium to play in (TFC, Montreal, Vancouver). There is no way BMO will be available after the Blue Jays decision as well as the NHL being able to use BMO during their playoffs. So the only option for TFC is that when the tournament is done, you are asking you players to say goodbye to their families in late August and they will not be able to see them again until November / December when the season fully wraps up? Not to mention how can you take standings seriously when a team has to play their home games in a neutral venue. They should just call time on the season and start again next year
    They need to start a Canadian division for this season and we will just play Montreal and Vancouver, home and away, over and over again to make up the games that way nobody has to cross country borders and the Canadian teams get home games.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC1986 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    The credit is 10% for the amount you keep on your account into the next season so if you have 4 seats and cancel 2 of them and get refunds for the 2 seats you will probably get 10% credit for the amount of money left in the account which is to cover the seats you are keeping. At least that is the way I understand it but of course best thing to do is get the details straight from your account rep for your particular scenario.
    Its the overall value of your package not the amount of money you have in your account. My two southend tickets are $760. I am getting a $76 credit based on 10% of that. I currently have $422.40 dollars in my account after they deducted $109.60 from my total for the home opener and a pair I had sold on the official TFC ticket exchange. So for 2021 I will owe $337.60. I figured since there is no way I will not be renewing I would just leave it in my account.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

spoke to my awesome rep, who always hooks up the swag.
    mentioned that, renewal will be in october.
    the 10 % didnt make sense, since no one knows when fans will be back in the stadium(to cash in on the 10%).
    Real sports also is closed, so really 10% that cant be used made it easier to take a refund.

They may also consider allowing fans in the stadium in limited capacity if the league season does resume.

the money you let them hold is more valuable in your bank acct versus their account collecting big interest %.

Mostly anything you use the 10% towards will be marked up and not really of any value.